May recruiting thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

May recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Paige with KK..
Screenshot_20220516-202055_Instagram.jpg

Reaction Score
But how do you know that he didn't give instruction and the player just never capitalized? And is Liv really in the WNBA at the moment but hasn’t learned any post moves? So, if she in the WNBA how is it that she didn't improve? How can she possibly be in the WNBA if she didn't improve a ton?

And when do you know the player you are giving instruction to, just isn't going to produce in the manner you want? Or maybe Geno worked on other parts of her game that you wouldn't have worked with her as much on?

And to add to that, didn’t Geno say once during or shortly after Charde that he said as a coach he used to believe he could transform anyone, but he used Charde as an example that he realized he can’t. Do you agree with that?

My point is, we can talk tough on here about how to be the perfect coach and perfect player, but at what point can we acknowledge that the player you are working with, just doesn’t have those kind of instincts?

And a coach also is evaluated as to if he plays to his team’s strengths. Any coach that doesn’t have a philosophy of coaching to his team’s strengths will only have 5 minutes of fame then fade away. So, Liv had to also be coached on having her strengths improve a ton too,. All this takes time too. Just because she comes to UCONN means she will learn exactly perfectly as Geno has instructed?

And as we know some on here take digs at Geno for being a tough grind it out coach who is too tough on his players. But now he is too lax for not grinding his low posts to be terrific inside low post players? Which is it with Geno; too tough or too lax? To further that, if he is this “brutal grind coach” which some exaggerate that he is, and the player isn’t doing what he says, then wouldn’t it follow that Geno should be benching that player because they aren’t taking the instruction in practice and apply it to the game? Well that’s no good either; Because now you are going to bench the player and they will end up leaving because of the coach being too tough, or they aren’t getting enough minutes.

How about a much simpler answer? That Liv was never going to be much of a low post player and is a lot like Stokes. And we heard how Laimbeer was going to turn her into a post scorer and she wound up being just what Geno had her be at UCONN.
Maybe he did and if so, her inability to generate any consistent inside offense against size is on her. You're welcome to the rest of your speculation.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure we needed confirmation that Paige will be here at least through 2023-2024, but that`s my takeaway.

I'm hopeful but not sure how that is indicative. She'll play with Kamorea even if she only stays through '23.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’d offer her tomorrow!!
See Doggie, that's where you’d lose. Jeff Walz probably offered her last year. Walz is never late to the party. He’ll offer a potential recruit while they're still in the womb if he thinks they’ll come to Louisville and help him win basketball games. :) She’ll have her pick of programs. You can bet she's already on the radar of several D1 schools.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But how do you know that he didn't give instruction and the player just never capitalized?
Because Liv herself told us this Carl Adamec article/quote.

"I've done a lot of one-on-one, three-on-three, and five-on-five. I've been working on creating moves off the dribble and post play, just working on those individual offensive moves this summer we haven't worked on in previous years.

The summer Liv is talking about is the summer going into her senior year and came in the advent of the Arizona loss. Somewhere in the archives of the BY you will find a unanswered very good question from @BobbyJ. How is it that Liv who was the primary post player and starter for UCONN for the two previous season, not get around to working on individual offensive post moves until the summer of her senior year?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I'm hopeful but not sure how that is indicative. She'll play with Kamorea even if she only stays through '23.
Sluconn, love your posts but you`ve lost me on this one. KK is going into her senior year, class of 2023, so I don`t see how she plays with Paige unless Paige stays for her fourth year, 2023-2024.

Would love to see Paige stay for a fifth year, 2024-2025, but that seems like a bridge too far.

Carnac

Reaction Score

And you can bet that Mulkey and LSU are going to put on a full-court press for Williams. Well Kimmie can take a number and step back. Williams is high on a lot of coaches wish list. Since we lost Sissoko to USC (not sure if UConn had offered her), but I was hoping she was the “other” player we got from the portal this spring. I’m now hoping we can land Williams. I know she's in the class of 23. She would be a fantastic get for the Huskies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn, love your posts but you`ve lost me on this one. KK is going into her senior year, class of 2023, so I don`t see how she plays with Paige unless Paige stays for her fourth year, 2023-2024.

Would love to see Paige stay for a fifth year, 2024-2025, but that seems like a bridge too far.

Yeah, I thought you were referring to a fifth year for Bueckers. I had always assumed she was staying for four.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Prior to Liv, haven't they been showing? Maybe it was Liv????
Whether it was Liv or not. How nice would it be if a former post player or a post coach could come in and spend 2 hours a day, 3 days a week with DeBerry and Brady apart from the team and work with them doing drills and moves while also teaching them how to play defense at the elite college level.

If they began during the summer school session, they should have made off the charts improvement by the time official practice begins in mid-October. Didn't DeBerry say that she was going to stay on campus the entire summer to work on her conditioning and her game?

Reaction Score
Whether it was Liv or not. How nice would it be if a former post player or a post coach could come in and spend 2 hours a day, 3 days a week with DeBerry and Brady apart from the team and work with them doing drills and moves while also teaching them how to play defense at the elite college level.

If they began during the summer school session, they should have made off the charts improvement by the time official practice begins in mid-October. Didn't DeBerry say that she was going to stay on campus the entire summer to work on her conditioning and her game?
Geno has been known to run four guards at times he may use five guards. UCONN is not post friendly. Screen, Pass and occasionally get some put backs.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that there are NCAA rules about coaching during summer. If UConn were to pay a coach to come in then it could be a violation.

Of course former players come around to "work out" on occasion. ;)

Reaction Score
Because Liv herself told us this Carl Adamec article/quote.

"I've done a lot of one-on-one, three-on-three, and five-on-five. I've been working on creating moves off the dribble and post play, just working on those individual offensive moves this summer we haven't worked on in previous years.

The summer Liv is talking about is the summer going into her senior year and came in the advent of the Arizona loss. Somewhere in the archives of the BY you will find a unanswered very good question from @BobbyJ. How is it that Liv who was the primary post player and starter for UCONN for the two previous season, not get around to working on individual offensive post moves until the summer of her senior year?
Where does it say here that she didn't work on any creative moves with UCONN? And are you suggesting when players go pro that they have nothing to learn? Otherwise if not, then why is your post relevant?

And I'd bet we would have have heard something similar from Laimbeer and Stokes years back.

Let's cut to the chase here: Any player that leaves college and that can stay in the league probably has learned some new creative things. Does this mean they never learned a creative thing in college?

Reaction Score

But don't the other Final Four teams (the only teams that have beaten UCONN over the past 13+ years) also teach offense and defense and work hard over the summer too?

So why is it that only the UCONN players would get better? Otherwise, what are you saying? When UCONN players practice over the summer they will be superior to everyone else?

Don't you think every team / coach that is terrific is saying the same thing about their players that work hard over the summer as youpve cited in bold?

As for AD- I agree with you. Are we arguing? Al McGuire said "The best thing about a freshman is that they become a sophomore." And we've heard Dailey say enough that freshmen don’t know how to work (or something to that effect). I'm very psyched to see what AD can bring. I think we are in agreement with that. - Hopeful! with AD!! But this isn’t Geno not coaching her well, is it?

This is why I’ve posted on other threads with some of the posters that seem more negative. I’m psyched to see what she might do. No way should anyone be throwing in the towel with her or the two frosh beucase we didn't get "a big" transfer. Not that abnyoen was but it seemed like a lot of disappointment. .

And as this is a recruiting thread. I’m also pumped about our two frosh (I still classify them as “recruits.”). What does The Great Carnac think of the possibility that at least one of our frosh will step up and be solid contributor? For me- I’m pumped with these two and psyched to see about AD. In terms of recruits these two seem to be made to play the 4 spot as frosh from what I’ve seen and read so far. AE was a terrific frosh and these two coming in were ranked higher too. Lots to be psyched about for next year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sounds like you are describing Jamelle.
I don't care who does it. I just want to see improved play from the post position this year. Consistent play on both ends of the court. Is 16 points and 12 rebounds a game from our post player asking too much?

That breaks down to 4 baskets per half and 6 rebounds a half. Liv had games where she got 4-5 rebounds in a quarter. I'm not going to compare any of our post players to Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) who in my opinion is the best post player in the country. She gets it done on BOTH ends of the court. 5'11" Aneesa Morrow of DePaul regularly gets double digit rebounds. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 6'5" post player to produce those numbers.

Reaction Score
I don't care who does it. I just want to see improved play from the post position this year. Consistent play on both ends of the court. Is 16 points and 12 rebounds a game from our post player asking too much?

That breaks down to 4 baskets per half and 6 rebounds a half. Liv had games where she got 4-5 rebounds in a quarter. I'm not going to compare any of our post players to Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) who in my opinion is the best post player in the country. She gets it done on BOTH ends of the court. 5'11" Aneesa Morrow of DePaul regularly gets double digit rebounds. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 6'5" post player to produce those numbers.
As far as I can tell, UConn has never had a player average 16 and 12. Not Rebecca Lobo, not Tina Charles (Though both got very close) and not Stewie.
So, to answer your question, yes, it might be asking a little too much. But I know what you mean.

Reaction Score
OK. Is UConn going to stay pat with two recruits for next year and two the season after because it appears that everyone wants to stay home on the West Coast or in the SEC or even throw in a monkey wrench and go from PA to North Carolina won’t mention her name. So who are real possibilities for Connecticut seems like all the big names are staying home or avoiding Connecticut. Do we still have offers that may be real as to someone UConn can actually sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom