May recruiting thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

May recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've been enjoying this exchange -- good insights on both sides. I find myself wondering how many 5s there really are in WCBB. When I look at the kids who have great offensive post moves, other than Boston, they don't strike me as mainly being 5s, either because of their size or their frame or their speed. I think of someone like Naz Hillmon (and by extension Mackenzie Holmes or even Ashley Joens), who play excellent post offense but don't quite have the size to dominate on the defensive side the way they can on offense. It seems clear enough that Liv never had the sort of offensive skills Naz did. But she also didn't have the sort of offensive skills Cameron Brink eventually developed at the 4/5. Dorka feels to me more like Brink than like Naz or Holmes or (especially) Boston. She's in between the 4 and the 5, big enough to be a 5 on D, but has offensive skills more like a 4. Liv occupied a similar in-between space, with strong passing skills from the high and low post, strong enough to box out and rebound at both ends, and long enough to block shots and have the other defensive skills of a 5, but not quite the offensive skills of the best 4s or 5s.
Good "post."

Reaction Score
I would call EDD a miss. Tina was 6'3" and couldn't possibly be called a post. Hell, Edwards is 6'3". So is Patterson. Brady is 6'4". Juhasz & DeBerry are 6'5". And UConn is so short of posts they absolutely HAVE to sign a '23 post because Edwards, Brady, Patterson & DeBerry aren't enough for '24.

Feagin? Five min a game, 2 pts, 1.5 rbs. Top post? She is listed as a F. She and Ducharme are both 6'2/3" and were 5 star 98's ranked 4th and 5th. If Feagin is a top post so is Ducharme, who produced a lot while Feagin has produced zero. If you base her "top post" label on HS talent then you have to say the same thing about DeBerry. And I don't think you aren't saying that DeBerry and Ducharme were top post recruits.

What I feel when I read "must get" or "can't keep missing on top posts" is panic. Reminds me of a lot of baseball fans who want the manager fired in mid-April. It's as if UConn has to get the top players every year or else the sky is falling. Well, they have been missing on a lot of top posts for a very long time and UConn fans have had the same complaints, also for a very long time, yet they have done better than anyone else in wcbb. Is it different this time? I say no, it's just the same old fans who want it all and then want still more.
In what unfathomable universe is Tina Charles not a post player?

Reaction Score
Angel Reese signing with LSU might affect the Mikaylah Williams decision. Angel is not going to want to give up the ball. Just saying. I don't think Williams signs with LSU. I think she may still of course but I bet she's considering other options even more now. Mikaylah would be better off at SC or Uconn. As good as LSU will be soon, they will still be a secondary media market. As good as LSU will become, they will not develop Mikaylah's brand like Uconn. The veritable sky will open for Mikaylah at Uconn. Major social media boost. Magazine covers. ESPN exposure. Madison ave advertisers...etc. If I were Mikaylah, I would look at this as much bigger than basketball. The real money is in her brand. Does she want to just be another women's basketball player and make peanuts in the WNBA or does she want to play basketball and cash much bigger checks because she was smart about the process. A player like her cannot go wrong at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese signing with LSU might affect the Mikaylah Williams decision. Angel is not going to want to give up the ball.
Williams signing or not signing with LSU will have nothing to do with Angel Reese. Reese will either get with it and play team ball or she will be miserable playing under Kim because that ain't gonna fly

But where is this coming from that she is "not going to want to give up the ball"? She is a great player so of course she is going to want the ball often, as all great players do. You just play as a team as well... this isn't rocket science.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese signing with LSU might affect the Mikaylah Williams decision. Angel is not going to want to give up the ball. Just saying. I don't think Williams signs with LSU. I think she may still of course but I bet she's considering other options even more now. Mikaylah would be better off at SC or Uconn. As good as LSU will be soon, they will still be a secondary media market. As good as LSU will become, they will not develop Mikaylah's brand like Uconn. The veritable sky will open for Mikaylah at Uconn. Major social media boost. Magazine covers. ESPN exposure. Madison ave advertisers...etc. If I were Mikaylah, I would look at this as much bigger than basketball. The real money is in her brand. Does she want to just be another women's basketball player and make peanuts in the WNBA or does she want to play basketball and cash much bigger checks because she was smart about the process. A player like her cannot go wrong at Uconn.
Mikayla is not coming to UCONN..

Reaction Score
She has elminated UCONN from her list?
Isn't it true that she has neither ruled out Uconn from her list or put Uconn on a short list. To my knowledge she has kept things close to the vest and unlike many others does not have a formal short list. I may be wrong on that but I don't recall seeing one from her.

Reaction Score
Isn't it true that she has neither ruled out Uconn from her list or put Uconn on a short list. To my knowledge she has kept things close to the vest and unlike many others does not have a formal short list. I may be wrong on that but I don't recall seeing one from her.
Neither do I. That's why I was questioning that poster's comment.

Reaction Score
Regarding Mikaylah, I said MIGHT affect her decision. Big difference to definitive statements yes or no. When any major player, largely in the same position, goes to a school it can affect the decision. If Kiki chose to come to Uconn would KK have made the decision she did? Maybe not. Mikaylah is mainly a shooting guard right? What is Angel? It looks to me that she's mainly a shooting guard. I think it might affect her decision. Especially when Angel was the primary star of her program and yet chose to leave anyway. That is at least somewhat of an indicator of dysfunction. It's only one year that they would play together so it may not be a huge issue.

Reaction Score
Mikaylah is mainly a shooting guard right? What is Angel? It looks to me that she's mainly a shooting guard. I think it might affect her decision. Especially when Angel was the primary star of her program and yet chose to leave anyway. That is at least somewhat of an indicator of dysfunction. It's only one year that they would play together so it may not be a huge issue.
Angel is a 6'3 post player, who plays the 4 (but mostly played the 5 at Maryland). Williams is a 6'0 shooting guard (who can also play the point).

Angel left Maryland, along with multiple other starters (Owusu, Collins, and many others over the years). That is more a reflection on Brenda and the climate she has than it is on Reese and the other players. For goodness sake, Brenda went to a reporter and threw Collins under the bus saying her GPA isn't good enough to get into Maryland's grad program. I am not aware of any problems with Reese or the other girls, they all seem like a close group that really loved each other. When things are so bad that you have starters who have successful seasons bolt, you got bigger issues as a program. It has become the norm under Brenda in recent years, perhaps she needs to do some soul searching.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Angel is a 6'3 post player, who plays the 4 (but mostly played the 5 at Maryland). Williams is a 6'0 shooting guard (who can also play the point).

Angel left Maryland, along with multiple other starters (Owusu, Collins, and many others over the years). That is more a reflection on Brenda and the climate she has than it is on Reese and the other players. For goodness sake, Brenda went to a reporter and threw Collins under the bus saying her GPA isn't good enough to get into Maryland's grad program. I am not aware of any problems with Reese or the other girls, they all seem like a close group that really loved each other. When things are so bad that you have starters who have successful seasons bolt, you got bigger issues as a program. It has become the norm under Brenda in recent years, perhaps she needs to do some soul searching.
Are you joshin' me? That is way out of line, especially for someone working for a school.

Reaction Score
not every kid thinks only of brand or making money... some prefer the opportunity to watch kim rip off and throw her jacket into the stands several times each year. :)

Reaction Score

The way too early 2023 MacDonalds AA's.

1652669422946.png
1652669422946.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads