May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 63 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
7 guards on this team was a mistake. Now with Collier looking like she can't play you go into the Olympics with 4 frontcourt players, 2 nursing injuries in Stewie and Griner.
This could be a problem in the Olympics, playing on consecutive days.
There are no games on consecutive days in the Olympics. They play 6 games in two weeks with an average of 2-3 days rest between games. Easier than the WNBA schedule.

Reaction Score
7 guards on this team was a mistake. Now with Collier looking like she can't play you go into the Olympics with 4 frontcourt players, 2 nursing injuries in Stewie and Griner.
The team still have alternates like Brionna Jones available worst case scenario.

Reaction Score
The team still have alternates like Brionna Jones available worst case scenario.

Alternates aren’t available once the competition starts (so next Saturday) and those alternates were never even confirmed. Given no one else flew to Europe with the team that we know of, I’d presume they won’t be used at this point.

WBBTakeover

I'm not cooler than Kate Martin. Who is?
Reaction Score
I agree on nearly all of this, WCCTakeover, especially about Loyd. She's thought to be a good defender. I surely hope so, 'cause she plays a whole lot of bad games on offense.
I'm of the belief that while Jewell is an okay defender, she's not going to be earning any awards for her defense--and I don't believe she's ever been awarded for her defense as a pro. She's not the best defensive guard on her own WNBA team. If she was brought along because of her defense, then that was a mistake by USA Basketball. They should've taken Ariel Atkins instead. I know I said in the past that she wasn't needed on this team, but I was wrong. A healthy Brittney Sykes would've been a good option as well. So would a healthy Jordin Canada or a Natasha Cloud. Betnijah Laney, Allisha Gray, and Rhyne Howard are also players who could've helped defensively at the guard spot.

IMO, the best defenders on Team USA are A'ja, Stewie, Phee, AT, and BG. My goodness--the roster composition is just :confused::confused::confused:! They couldn't find one top-flight guard defender?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
It could be wishful thinking, but here's what Coach Cheryl Reeve had to say:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
She hasn't played meaningful minutes in 2 weeks, and has a condition that could flare up at anytime. Only a period of rest will get her better.
I, personally, don't disagree with that. I'm just giving Reeve's take on the matter. "More of Phee" could mean 4-5 minutes instead of the three that she played in the ASG.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Arike's not an efficient player, but neither are Taurasi, Loyd, or Ionescu (and Plum this season). I've seen Copper shoot her team out of games this year. We just saw Plum shoot Vegas out of the Sky game not too long ago (and the first Storm game also sticks out to me). Loyd's historically awful shooting had a lot to do with why Seattle started out the season so poorly.

It shouldn't have to come down to Arike versus Jewell--there either should be room for both or Arike should have a realistic shot at making a team like this. Jewell is not the type of player who should command so much respect that her spot is essentially sewn up. For that matter, neither are Copper, Plum, Young, or Ionescu. All of the guards not named Taurasi sucked last night. It was a terrible look for Team USA, considering that all of them are at least Arike's age or older.

Those three should have received further consideration for Team USA than they did (I know that Laney's out due to injury, but they toyed with her before leaving her name out of the pool this past spring). If defense is so important to Team USA, why would you construct a team that has Taurasi (a fossil), Plum (small with ZERO defensive awareness), AND Ionescu (lead feet) on it????
If you look at true shooting percentage, Arike and Jewell are the outliers. Arike ranks 97th in the league. Jewell Loyd is 94th. All the other Olympic guards are in the top 50.

What I do think Arike is underrated on is her other skills. She's averaging over 5apg and leading the league in steals per game at 2.7.

Reaction Score
To me the biggest miss was Allisha Gray. She’s just a basketball player. She’s a terrific defender and can score all 3 levels. J Young is also a pretty good defender but didn’t play a whole lot the other night.

Sabrina and Kelsey were not good And Sabrina is just horrible on defense. I expected more out of Kah and Alyssa Thomas.

A’ja and Stewie played so well together. They are fun to watch.

Reaction Score
If you look at true shooting percentage, Arike and Jewell are the outliers. Arike ranks 97th in the league. Jewell Loyd is 94th. All the other Olympic guards are in the top 50.

What I do think Arike is underrated on is her other skills. She's averaging over 5apg and leading the league in steals per game at 2.7.
This right here is why I specifically said Team USA would take either an Arike or a Jewell but not both. They can both score in bunches but they also have their own offensive slumps. Jewell provides better overall effort defensively but Arike is a better passer.

When you factor in experience and the fact that the passed on most of our two way guards (Allisha, Laney, Rhyne) in favor of more offensive/assist oriented guards(Plum, Taurasi, Sabrina) I can see why Jewell is a better fit than Arike on this specific team.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Sabrina is also the one on the team beyond Chelsea Gray who has PG experience. DT/Plum/Young can all fill in (or you can have AT play point forward). I think it's almost a certainty that the new Olympic PG is Caitlin Clark.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

What database are you using? The one I use, WNBA Stats, lists Lloyd as 52nd in FG% at 36.2%, Ogunbowale 53rd at 35.7%. Still pretty dismal considering a 12 team league has 60 starters, but at least more believably dismal than 94th and 97th. Maybe yours includes players who have seen very limited action?

Reaction Score
Sabrina is also the one on the team beyond Chelsea Gray who has PG experience. DT/Plum/Young can all fill in (or you can have AT play point forward). I think it's almost a certainty that the new Olympic PG is Caitlin Clark.
Well, there are some very elite PGs coming up the next few years between Paige, Olivia Miles, Rori Harmon, Raven Johnson. Not that Clark isn't a better point guard than those but she is more versatile than them with her shooting so there is the potential she plays off the ball more on team USA to make the best possible team. Especially when you factor in defense.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
At one time I would have predicted Clark as the future SG, Bueckers as the future PG, for Team USA. That was when I thought the best way to simplify Clark’s multiple responsibilities so she makes better decisions (already record turnovers with many games left), would be to focus her on SG.

I will concede that she has progressed better than I expected at PG decision making, she may even reach 2.0 A/T or better next year. Maybe PG really is her best position. But Bueckers is already at that level of sound, efficient decision making. For that matter Ionescu is more sound/efficient as a PG. I do not think it certain at all who will be the next starting PG.

Reaction Score
At one time I would have predicted Clark as the future SG, Bueckers as the future PG, for Team USA. That was when I thought the best way to simplify Clark’s multiple responsibilities so she makes better decisions (already record turnovers with many games left), would be to focus her on SG.

I will concede that she has progressed better than I expected at PG decision making, she may even reach 2.0 A/T or better next year. Maybe PG really is her best position. But Bueckers is already at that level of sound, efficient decision making. For that matter Ionescu is more sound/efficient as a PG. I do not think it certain at all who will be the next starting PG.
I actually don't think either Paige or Clark will be the next PG fixture when you look at up and coming talent pool in USA, if I am making predictions. They are both too versatile imo with more pure PGs that are also elite perimeter defenders coming up behind them in Harmon (8/1 a/to ratio when she went out), Miles, and Raven Johnson. I would imagine 1-2 of those players will be an Olympic fixture in and I don't know that you want any of them at shooting guard.

Reaction Score

I actually don't think either Paige or Clark will be the next PG fixture when you look at up and coming talent pool in USA, if I am making predictions. They are both too versatile imo with more pure PGs that are also elite perimeter defenders coming up behind them in Harmon (8/1 a/to ratio when she went out), Miles, and Raven Johnson. I would imagine 1-2 of those players will be an Olympic fixture in and I don't know that you want any of them at shooting guard.
The guard pool is deep regardless which way you look at it. USA Basketball has a lot of flexibility and options, an excellent problem to have.

Reaction Score
In 2024 your backcourt will be Paige, and Clark, they will be like Bird and Taurasi were for years.

Reaction Score
Meh. Too soon to stress beyond 2024 if you ask me. Be happy to trade you Canada's post pool if you'd like
That looks to have some potential though. Edwards, Amihere, Fournier, Ejim and Prosper are all young and 4 years from now has a lot of potential to be something.

Reaction Score
The post pool on the other hand... I have some questions about.
I'm really concerned about our future size. BG at 6'9 is a unicorn of talent and hard to replace. Lauren Betts is probably our best bet for now but I hope we can see some more consistency from her in the years to come.

Reaction Score
That looks to have some potential though. Edwards, Amihere, Fournier, Ejim and Prosper are all young and 4 years from now has a lot of potential to be something.
When I'm talk post, I'm thinking more of a centre. I consider Edwards, Amihere, Fournier and Ejim as forwards. Edwards and Amihere are a better fit at that position. Fournier and Ejim are 6'2" and would struggle with the posts they'd face during international competitions. Prosper is considered a guard by Canada Basketball and ND.

The only true post Canada has beyond Kayla Alexander as part of the SWNT pool is Kyei out of Oregon. Could someone like Lattimore be considered for this in the future? Possible as she has been with the U23 squad. Height beyond 6'5" is where Canada is lacking at the moment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom