May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 64 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm really concerned about our future size. BG at 6'9 is a unicorn of talent and hard to replace. Lauren Betts is probably our best bet for now but I hope we can see some more consistency from her in the years to come.
I think USA has a solid post pipeline at the moment with Boston, Stewart, Collier and Wilson all lined up for the next cycle. Not to mention Angel Reese and Cameron Brink.

Guard play is also going to be stronger than it has ever been. USA basketball has always been dominated by forwards and centers but the level of play by the guards is stronger and deeper than it has ever been with Clark, Bueckers, Watkins, Hidalgo, Booker, Fulwiley, Harmon and Miles in the mix for the next several cycles.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What database are you using? The one I use, WNBA Stats, lists Lloyd as 52nd in FG% at 36.2%, Ogunbowale 53rd at 35.7%. Still pretty dismal considering a 12 team league has 60 starters, but at least more believably dismal than 94th and 97th. Maybe yours includes players who have seen very limited action?
WNBA.com also has them 52 and 53. That's out of 56 qualifiers.

Basketball Reference has a field-goals-missed stat. Jewell has been in the top two each of the last three years, and Arike has been in the top 3 every season of her career.

I agree with the poster who said that they shouldn't both be on the WNT at the same time.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I'm loooking at the advanced stats and the "True Shooting Percentage": Players Advanced

Two- and three-point field goals and free throws are all considered in its calculation. It is abbreviated TS%.

It is calculated by: %=2(+(0.44×))
{\displaystyle TS\%={\frac {PTS}{2(FGA+(0.44\times FTA))}}}

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm loooking at the advanced stats and the "True Shooting Percentage": Players Advanced

Two- and three-point field goals and free throws are all considered in its calculation. It is abbreviated TS%.

It is calculated by: %=2(+(0.44×))
{\displaystyle TS\%={\frac {PTS}{2(FGA+(0.44\times FTA))}}}
Ah, thanks. I did not pick up on the “true,” and previously in the thread someone cited 35.7%, but I see that is not you.

To clarify for those who do not hit the reply button, TS% is half the points scored divided by FGA + a fraction of FTA. Your site uses 0.44, I believe 0.475 also is used. Perhaps there are other fractions as well?

I still wonder at the 94th and 97th ranking though. That either implies that nine player rotations are common or they factor in all players, including those with not much playing time.

I agree with your point, though, their efficiency is pretty dismal even if you are only considering players with significant roles.

on edit: Just clicked on the link, it’s also WNBA Stats, oops. Should have done that first, lol. I see that it does include players with lesser roles, playing time.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think USA has a solid post pipeline at the moment with Boston, Stewart, Collier and Wilson all lined up for the next cycle. Not to mention Angel Reese and Cameron Brink.

Guard play is also going to be stronger than it has ever been. USA basketball has always been dominated by forwards and centers but the level of play by the guards is stronger and deeper than it has ever been with Clark, Bueckers, Watkins, Hidalgo, Booker, Fulwiley, Harmon and Miles in the mix for the next several cycles.
Greetings from a library in a village off the Atlantic Ocean where I'm still enjoying wind and waves. I caught up on various threads and decided to add one name to this group of excellent guards. Yes, it's a homer/Domer, but she has excelled in international play, earning All-Star recognition (with Caitlin Clark) at the U-19 World Cup a few years back.

Sonia Citron is the kind of versatile glue player that makes every team better and coaches want. Offense: catch and shoot from mid- and long-distance. Excellent in the open floor and can pull up for short jumpers. Adept ball-handler. Defense: superb. Always covers opposition's best player. Can rebound when needed.

I liked "Soni" before she got to ND and think she'll be a very good pro and solid contributor to the U.S. pool.

Back to the beach.:cool: See you next week.

Reaction Score
Greetings from a library in a village off the Atlantic Ocean where I'm still enjoying wind and waves. I caught up on various threads and decided to add one name to this group of excellent guards. Yes, it's a homer/Domer, but she has excelled in international play, earning All-Star recognition (with Caitlin Clark) at the U-19 World Cup a few years back.

Sonia Citron is the kind of versatile glue player that makes every team better and coaches want. Offense: catch and shoot from mid- and long-distance. Excellent in the open floor and can pull up for short jumpers. Adept ball-handler. Defense: superb. Always covers opposition's best player. Can rebound when needed.

I liked "Soni" before she got to ND and think she'll be a very good pro and solid contributor to the U.S. pool.

Back to the beach.:cool: See you next week.
Enjoy the beach and I agree with your comments. I can't wait for Sonia Citron to be drafted in the WNBA. She is going to be a great addition to any team at the next level. The WNBA is expanding at the right time.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
So Connecticut Sun fans, what do you think about the team trading for Marina Mabrey. I believe she is the most hated UConn opponent that we have, but as a Sun fan how can we root for her? The answer, we have to. The Suns' Achilles heel is 3 point shooting, and they have lost games, especially the last against New York, because their outside shooting is about the worst in the league. I for one will root for her, and if she does well than I may slowly learn to tolerate her. Did it with Kara Lawson, so I guess I can do it for Mabrey.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So Connecticut Sun fans, what do you think about the team trading for Marina Mabrey. I believe she is the most hated UConn opponent that we have, but as a Sun fan how can we root for her? The answer, we have to. The Suns' Achilles heel is 3 point shooting, and they have lost games, especially the last against New York, because their outside shooting is about the worst in the league. I for one will root for her, and if she does well than I may slowly learn to tolerate her. Did it with Kara Lawson, so I guess I can do it for Mabrey.
Marina Mabrey is the Nika Muhl of Notre Dame. If she had played in Storrs with no change to her personality or playing style, UConn fans would have loved her. By the same token, if Nika had worn shamrocks, we would all hate her.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Marina Mabrey is the Nika Muhl of Notre Dame. If she had played in Storrs with no change to her personality or playing style, UConn fans would have loved her. By the same token, if Nika had worn shamrocks, we would all hate her.
Sorta kinda. But with all due respect to Nika, only one of them could win Academy Awards for Best Actress in a Flop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom