May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 46 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with this but the vast majority of her rebounds aren't on her own misses which is false and a narrative people use to undermine her rebounding numbers.
FWIW, both Reese and Cardoso need to work on their finishing skills (Cardoso is only shooting 44% from the field). But they should be a force for years to come.

imo, anyone who watched Reese in college knew she'd have to work on her post finishing in the league--and given there is like a month between the NCAAs and the WNBA season, nothing huge was going to happen before her first season. I think it's a huge testament to her motor and talent that despite her offensive challenges she is still averaging over 13ppg. And the rebounding numbers speak for themselves.

Both Clark and Reese will need to be improve their scoring efficiency in years to come, but the fact that they are in the top 3 in the league, respectively, for rebounds and assists, is a huge testament to how good they already are. In terms of pure SCORING ability, the best rookie is probably Rickea Jackson, who is quietly putting up solid numbers for a bad (though not unexpectedly bad) LA team. I'm a tad surprised how low her rebounding numbers are--she was an excellent rebounder in college--but she is obviously going to be VERY good.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought (tanking) as Phoenix currently has the worst 2-year combined record.

However, New York acquired the right to swap 2025 first-round picks (from Phoenix).
Ikr .... Indicative of weak organizational structure and management as well as by season utter lack of focus. The Merc have a long tradition of devalue and draft picks. Short memory considering the GOAT and BG but....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with this but the vast majority of her rebounds aren't on her own misses which is a narrative people use to undermine her rebounding numbers.

I would be interested in how many O boards come off her own misses. It’s not the majority, but my impression is that she gets more O boards off her misses than anyone in the league.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So what does the merc victory over perhaps the worst team in the league suggest about the team.
I'm going LA all the way on league worst. Dallas is only second worst at this point.

Reaction Score
I would be interested in how many O boards come off her own misses. It’s not the majority, but my impression is that she gets more O boards off her misses than anyone in the league.
She gets more o boards than anyone in the league, period. And most of those aren’t off her own misses.

Maybe a percentage would be more informative.

Reaction Score
Naphessa Collier left the game in the 3rd quarter after she pulled up limping without contact. She first went to the bench then to the locker room.
She knew immediately that something was wrong. I fear it was an achilles injury.
On edit.
It's reported to be a foot injury and she's not expected back in this game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Napheesa removed from Lynx / Sun game with left foot injury. No more info. known yet. Hope she is OK for Olympics.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lynx fell to 1-3 since the Commissioner's Cup. 2 of the losses are to the Liberty and Sun, but I'm telling y'all the jinx is real.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stupid Amazon lost the feed to the Aces-Mystics game. Been down about 5 minutes now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Look out everybody, Plum is heating up. Aces running the Mystics out of the building, kinda starting to look like themselves again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dang, Aces were playing too good, so Becky rested the starters the entire 4th quarter. Bench was painful to watch. Same as it ever was. 8 TOs in the quarter I think.

Young w/ 10 assists in back to back game, plus 20 points. Plum just missed a 30 piece for the 2nd game in a row, but again only played 3 quarters. 28 on 10-13 shooting, 6-9 behind the arc. 18 pts/9 reb for Wilson.

Nice games for Atkins and Walker-Kimbrough, and especially impressed by the hustle of Engstler.

Reaction Score
Wow. That's a great breakdown. Hopefully that helps to kill the "most are her misses" narrative. Scary thought she'd only be behind Ezi by four without her misses though.
Not among the Clarkistas - who have decided that rebounds are easy and shouldn’t be counted in double troubles. They only count in triple doubles. Really, only logo threes and assists count for much of anything. Turnovers don’t matter.

Reaction Score
Not among the Clarkistas - who have decided that rebounds are easy and shouldn’t be counted in double troubles. They only count in triple doubles. Really, only logo threes and assists count for much of anything. Turnovers don’t matter.
Yikes! By now I thought maybe you'd have gotten over Iowa's upset of the Gamecocks in '23, but apparently not...

Reaction Score
Yikes! By now I thought maybe you'd have gotten over Iowa's upset of the Gamecocks in '23, but apparently not...
Not upset with Caitlin. Pulling for her as Bostons teammate. I have nothing against Hawkeyes Who are basketball fans who love her . She has some mad skills. I acknowledge that she is worthy of her all star selection

I can’t stand her worshippers who think she is the best player in the wnba NOW and deserves to recognized as the MOP this year. Rebounds, turnovers, and shooting percentages ARE meaningful stats

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Next year with Golden State, and especially in 2026 with at least Toronto as well, excited to see a lot of these players, like a Destanni Henderson, like an A. Coates, like a Emma Cannon, who have existed on the periphery of the league hopefully able to secure solid roster spots.

Reaction Score
I'm going LA all the way on league worst. Dallas is only second worst at this point.
A lively debate could be had here. Maybe these are 13A 13B maybe they are different dimensions of awful maybe well.....

The last Wing game with McCowean obviously throwing in the towel sticks in my mind. I contrast that with the youthful puppy like enthusiasm of Jackson as she picks up her second or third foul, the first quarter.

What I suppose we might agree upon is that it's no surprise these two are in a heated contest for the bottom of the league. Both injuries, a revamped roster, and challenges with chemistry characterize both franchises.

In support of your point of view anytime the local announcers are enthusiastically pumping up Ari McDonald you know you've got a roster that is questionable. The former kitties is as quick as lightning. She's quick as lightning. Anytime she's your best option in the back court I think you got to reflect on your roster with apologies to Barnes.

Reaction Score
Next year with Golden State, and especially in 2026 with at least Toronto as well, excited to see a lot of these players, like a Destanni Henderson, like an A. Coates, like a Emma Cannon, who have existed on the periphery of the league hopefully able to secure solid roster spots.
?
Perhaps those types of players will be able to hang on to the last available roster spot on an expansion team. I'm guessing there will be an expansion draft which will allow these two teams to pick a couple of decent players off existing rosters. Then with players like Pbuckets coming out, I'm thinking of JuJuu, Johnson, even Hidalgo the expansion rosters will begin to fill up. Also looking overseas there might be more movement there.

But I suspect our favorite Fringe player may have a chance greater than zero after expansion of sticking for a while.

Reaction Score
Wow. That's a great breakdown. Hopefully that helps to kill the "most are her misses" narrative. Scary thought she'd only be behind Ezi by four without her misses though.
If you take away Jewel Lloyd's misses from beyond the arc I think she's shooting 100%...scary

Edit: rereading this reply I can see that it's snarky. It was my clumsy effort to quote I believe it was Mark Twain who said there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

One analyst looks at Angel and sees less than 40% shooting. Another analyst sees all those offensive rebounds. I think they both provide a picture although incomplete of a extremely talented young lady.

WBBTakeover

Becky Hammon ruined the 2024 Aces season
Reaction Score
Losing to the worst team in the league BY FAR has to rank up there as one of the biggest disappointments of the night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom