May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 37 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
To piggy back on this as it also relates to Atlanta, what is going on with Amihere? Cubaj is getting more minutes and she joined late due to overseas commitments. Perplexing.
I can't be convinced Cubaj is a better player than Amihere. I hope for Laeticia's sake she gets cut and can be picked up by a team that would actually use her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana/Atlanta game was quite an offensive performance the first 3 quarters, particularly by Indiana. Ball movement is light years better than it was to start the year and the offense just has so much more flow to it. This is really the first time we've seen Clark in a more balanced offense that doesn't require her to do everything for her team and it's paying off immensely. She's been more efficient, other players are making plays and it's just high level offensive basketball. Everyone was efficient shooting the ball and Wheeler had a good floor game tonight off the bench. Clark had her TOs, but the team's 24 assists and 57% shooting more than off set it. Indiana is in the midst of a really nice run right now.

I gotta say, for as genuine and nice as Boston seems off the court, opponents seem to really dislike her lol. Charles got a T frustrated with her, Jonquel Jones and Boston were jawing earlier in the year too. Boston is playing with a bit more attitude this year and isn't afraid to voice her opinion or mix it up on the court. I say good for her. She got called for a couple of ticky tack fouls and clapped at the ref, got a T, and then after that the refs let her be extremely physical the next few possessions in what could've been foul calls. Just inconsistent officiating. I think one of the biggest problems with the refs is they will toss in make up calls throughout the game to compensate for a previous bad call, but then both teams end up frustrated, it kills any momentum, and players don't know what they can/can't get away with since it varies from possession to possession.

For Atlanta it was the Tina Charles show. She looked terrific and was efficient and unstoppable offensively. Haley Jones had a nice scoring game tonight, she did well isolating Clark in the post for a couple of buckets and had a good floor game. I'm not really sold on her as a PG though, especially seeing how poor Atlanta's offensive rhythm was compared to Indiana's. Aerial Powers for Atlanta was not good tonight. She seemed energetic and dialed in defending Caitlin Clark, but made some poor decisions offensively and seemed to be craving her moment to score on Clark or have a highlight playing against her rather than focusing on team ball. Atlanta has had an odd flow to their season, I'm not sure Wright is the best fit for this team personality wise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't be convinced Cubaj is a better player than Amihere. I hope for Laeticia's sake she gets cut and can be picked up by a team that would actually use her.
Actually I can but I look at Amihere more critically because of the hype that was around her coming out of high school. In Canada, the excitement around her started primarily because of her viral dunk during an AAU game. Winning a bronze at FIBA U19 also amplified it.

Her ACL injuries after that summer, dampened that excitement but her going to South Carolina was brought it back. Like Reese, Amihere has an unorthodox style and outside shooting isn't her strength. Last summer, I recall seeing some South Carolina fans on social media predicting she would be a starter. I thought she was going to supplant Hillmon at minimum but that didn't happen.

Regarding her being moved from Atlanta, like another poster asked, where would she go? I don't see a team out there where she'd get more playing time. The Atlanta team also have a lot of issues, so maybe it's a matter of a new coach to help find a way to use her strengths.

Reaction Score
Indiana/Atlanta game was quite an offensive performance the first 3 quarters, particularly by Indiana. Ball movement is light years better than it was to start the year and the offense just has so much more flow to it. This is really the first time we've seen Clark in a more balanced offense that doesn't require her to do everything for her team and it's paying off immensely. She's been more efficient, other players are making plays and it's just high level offensive basketball. Everyone was efficient shooting the ball and Wheeler had a good floor game tonight off the bench. Clark had her TOs, but the team's 24 assists and 57% shooting more than off set it. Indiana is in the midst of a really nice run right now.

I gotta say, for as genuine and nice as Boston seems off the court, opponents seem to really dislike her lol. Charles got a T frustrated with her, Jonquel Jones and Boston were jawing earlier in the year. Boston herself is playing with a bit more attitude this year and isn't afraid to voice her opinion or mix it up on the court. I say good for her. She got called for a couple of ticky tack fouls and clapped at the ref, got a T, and then after that the refs let her be extremely physical the next few possessions in what could've been foul calls. Just inconsistent officiating. I think one of the biggest problems with the refs is they will toss in make up calls throughout the game to compensate for a bad call, but then both teams end up frustrated, it kills any momentum and players don't know what they can/can't get away with since it varies from possession to possession.

For Atlanta it was the Tina Charles show. She looked terrific and was efficient and unstoppable offensively. Haley Jones had a nice game tonight, she did well isolating Clark in the post for a couple of buckets and had a good floor. I'm not really sold on her as a PG though, especially seeing how poor Atlanta's offensive rhythm was compared to Indiana's. Aerial Powers for Atlanta was not good tonight. She seemed energetic and dialed in defending Caitlin Clark, but made some poor decisions offensively and seemed to be craving her moment to score on Clark or have a highlight playing against her rather than focusing on team ball. Atlanta has had an odd flow to their season, I'm not sure Wright is the best fit for this team personality wise.

The back and forth between her and Charles was my entertainment last night. I think that was the first time I've seen Boston that animated when discussing calls with referees. Like you, I'm happy to see it.

Reaction Score
The back and forth between her and Charles was my entertainment last night. I think that was the first time I've seen Boston that animated when discussing calls with referees. Like you, I'm happy to see it.
I found it fun to watch too. I think they both play a similar style of game and they both like to get their defender in compromising positions which forces the ref to blow the whistle. I think it was getting under both players skin that the tricks they like to employ were being used against them.

Reaction Score
I found it fun to watch too. I think they both play a similar style of game and they both like to get their defender in compromising positions which forces the ref to blow the whistle. I think it was getting under both players skin that the tricks they like to employ were being used against them.
It's also nice to see Charles play again this year. Didn't want her previous season being her last one.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The perplexing thing about Haley Jones in the W is...what is her position? Atlanta has her playing PG because Jordin Canada has been injured all season and they prefer her to Dangerfield, who they brought in after she was cut from Dallas. But I don't think anyone thinks Jones is a PG long term. But she doesn't have a good enough shot, nor is she quick enough, to be a 2 in the league. I could see her being a 3, but not sure she has the athleticism.

From what we've seen thus far, she's kind of a tweener "jack of all trades, master of none" role player who can fit in where a team needs her, but isn't excelling in any particular area. Which, TBH, Atlanta kind of has a lot of.

I will not be surprised at all if she is an expansion draft selection by the Golden State Valkyries.

Reaction Score
Actually I can but I look at Amihere more critically because of the hype that was around her coming out of high school. In Canada, the excitement around her started primarily because of her viral dunk during an AAU game. Winning a bronze at FIBA U19 also amplified it.

Her ACL injuries after that summer, dampened that excitement but her going to South Carolina was brought it back. Like Reese, Amihere has an unorthodox style and outside shooting isn't her strength. Last summer, I recall seeing some South Carolina fans on social media predicting she would be a starter. I thought she was going to supplant Hillmon at minimum but that didn't happen.

Regarding her being moved from Atlanta, like another poster asked, where would she go? I don't see a team out there where she'd get more playing time. The Atlanta team also have a lot of issues, so maybe it's a matter of a new coach to help find a way to use her strengths.
I don't know about mid season but I definitely feel like there was some teams that would have taken a chance at her given the opportunity. There's no way she's not worth at least 5 minutes a game on this current Dream roster.

She plays pretty well when representing team Canada against international competition. She had a good debut season at AU and yet again she had good preseason games but never gets any real playing time in real games. At this point it's a waste for both parties and I just hope she hasn't lost the confidence she had in the aftermath of AU.

Reaction Score
I don't know about mid season but I definitely feel like there was some teams that would have taken a chance at her given the opportunity. There's no way she's not worth at least 5 minutes a game on this current Dream roster.

She plays pretty well when representing team Canada against international competition. She had a good debut season at AU and yet again she had good preseason games but never gets any real playing time in real games. At this point it's a waste for both parties and I just hope she hasn't lost the confidence she had in the aftermath of AU.
How Canada uses her is very different compared to what is expected in the WNBA. It makes it easier for her to rely on her habit of putting her head down and driving to the basket. When she has tried to do that in the WNBA, the results were mixed last season.

I agree she deserves at least 5 min in a game. Personally, I think she needs to expand she shooting range like Aaliyah did while in college. That area is what I had hoped would improve while in college. With her athleticism, it would make her much more dangerous.

At the same time, when you see players like Hillmon and Cubaj get time ahead of her, something isn't right and I'm not willing to put it all on Atlanta. Her time in AU was productive, but I think she would have done better overseas or in Australia like her teammate Hillmon. The WNBL forced Hillmon to be more rounded and it's showing with her willingness to shoot outside of the key more than I have ever seen her to this point in her career.

Reaction Score
How Canada uses her is very different compared to what is expected in the WNBA. It makes it easier for her to rely on her habit of putting her head down and driving to the basket. When she has tried to do that in the WNBA, the results were mixed last season.

I agree she deserves at least 5 min in a game. Personally, I think she needs to expand she shooting range like Aaliyah did while in college. That area is what I had hoped would improve while in college. With her athleticism, it would make her much more dangerous.

At the same time, when you see players like Hillmon and Cubaj get time ahead of her, something isn't right and I'm not willing to put it all on Atlanta. Her time in AU was productive, but I think she would have done better overseas or in Australia like her teammate Hillmon. The WNBL forced Hillmon to be more rounded and it's showing with her willingness to shoot outside of the key more than I have ever seen her to this point in her career.
I don't disagree with any of this. I believe she mentioned she's has no issues about going overseas after this season. She said her whole focus this past off-season was to put on some more weight to her frame and help get Canada qualified for the Olympics.

The only real comparison I have between Naz and Laeticia is the 2 preseason games. In those two games I would say overall Laeticia played better. Obviously I don't know what the practices look like but I just find it hard to believing it that she can't be the slightest bit useful, even if they just want to use her exclusively for defense/rebounds when others are in foul trouble. If she was on a contender I wouldn't have an issue but on this team that is looking like a potential lottery team I don't understand her lack minutes in the rotation.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of this. I believe she mentioned she's has no issues about going overseas after this season. She said her whole focus this past off-season was to put on some more weight to her frame and help get Canada qualified for the Olympics.

The only real comparison I have between Naz and Laeticia is the 2 preseason games. In those two games I would say overall Laeticia played better. Obviously I don't know what the practices look like but I just find it hard to believing it that she can't be the slightest bit useful, even if they just want to use her exclusively for defense/rebounds when others are in foul trouble. If she was on a contender I wouldn't have an issue but on this team that is looking like a potential lottery team I don't understand her lack minutes in the rotation.
1). I didn't get to see the pre-season games. My comparison of Amihere and Hillmon goes back to what I saw last season.

2). My friends and I are of the same thought regarding Laeticia and her ability to contribute. And especially now with what's going on with Atlanta as you noted. Coach Wright has noted she hasn't been happy with the team's effort. Parker-Tyus coming off the bench and Coffey is now starting. So if you're willing to try that change, why not have Amihere in a few minutes a quarter?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Washington has no Shakira Austin, Brittney Sykes and, now, no Aaliyah Boston. And, today at least, Ariel Atkins was not on her torrid streak of the last few games.

No problem. Washington wins 97-69 over Dallas. Stef Dolson has a 16-pt., 10 rebound double; Karlie Samuelsson goes 3-5 from three en route to 17 points; and Jade Melbourne shoots 4-5 from the field and 5-6 from the line for 13 in 18 minutes.

But, most importantly, as Karlie noted in a post-game interview, they had Emily Engstler, who went 7-11 from the floor, including 3-4 from three. She also snared 9 rebounds (Samuelsson admitted the team wanted her to get 10 for a double-double. and did usual Engstler things: providing jolts of energy, guarding much bigger people and not backing down. Ever. Having to use all of your bench may be an eye-opener for Father and Son Thibault in re-evaluating the roster. Engstler is getting a chance to show she can play a bunch in this league and contribute to teams winning and/or being competitive.

As for Melbourne, looks like a last-second pickup by Pops Thibault that will pay dividends. Youngest player on roster looks better every time I see her.

BTW, the Mystics' bench outscored Dallas 28-3. Kalani Brown scored in the second half but still isn't a factor down low often enough on defense. Jacy Sheldon has a lot of energy and Uzun has her moments. Natasha Howard is getting into game shape. Big T and Arike just weren't there today.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
. Jacy Sheldon has a lot of energy
16 points today. Career high so far? Wasn't doing much at the beginning of the year but maybe another rookie who will have an impact this season.

Reaction Score
Washington has no Shakira Austin, Brittney Sykes and, now, no Aaliyah Boston. And, today at least, Ariel Atkins was not on her torrid streak of the last few games.

No problem. Washington wins 97-69 over Dallas. Stef Dolson has a 16-pt., 10 rebound double; Karlie Samuelsson goes 3-5 from three en route to 17 points; and Jade Melbourne shoots 4-5 from the field and 5-6 from the line for 13 in 18 minutes.

But, most importantly, as Karlie noted in a post-game interview, they had Emily Engstler, who went 7-11 from the floor, including 3-4 from three. She also snared 9 rebounds (Samuelsson admitted the team wanted her to get 10 for a double-double. and did usual Engstler things: providing jolts of energy, guarding much bigger people and not backing down. Ever. Having to use all of your bench may be an eye-opener for Father and Son Thibault in re-evaluating the roster. Engstler is getting a chance to show she can play a bunch in this league and contribute to teams winning and/or being competitive.

As for Melbourne, looks like a last-second pickup by Pops Thibault that will pay dividends. Youngest player on roster looks better every time I see her.

BTW, the Mystics' bench outscored Dallas 28-3. Kalani Brown scored in the second half but still isn't a factor down low often enough on defense. Jacy Sheldon has a lot of energy and Uzun has her moments. Natasha Howard is getting into game shape. Big T and Arike just weren't there today.
I have always been a fan of Emily's. She has that "Dawg" mentality. She is going to give you 10/10 a night. I just hated that we could not find a way to hold on to her here in Minnesota. I hope Emily has enough in the tank once the WNBA expands.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stats are funny. Sparks' bench outscored Liberty's subs 39-0, but NY still won by 10.

Big game for Stewie, 33 pts/7assists/3 steals/6 blocks.. She seems to be somewhat under the radar but Ionescu has been playing well. 24 pts/9 assists today. 14/13 double double for JJ plus 5 assists, and Thornton w/ 20 on an extremely efficient 7/8 shooting, 6/7 behind the arc.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
16 points today. Career high so far? Wasn't doing much at the beginning of the year but maybe another rookie who will have an impact this season.
4-7 from three and looked confident on the release. And she really is a disruptor on defense, even making entry passes after baskets a challenge. She lurks just ahead of the intended target, then pivots back.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
WNBA standings have really stratified. Clear top 3, the bottom 4, and then 5 in the middle of the pack. Can the Aces get on a roll and move toward the top tier?

Liberty improved to 14-3, franchise best start.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I have always been a fan of Emily's. She has that "Dawg" mentality. She is going to give you 10/10 a night. I just hated that we could not find a way to hold on to her here in Minnesota. I hope Emily has enough in the tank once the WNBA expands.
Why wouldn't she, given how little overall PT she's had up to a few games ago? Now the trick is work her into a rotation once Aaliyah Edwards and Austin come back. If anything, having Golden State and Toronto come aboard will give more chances to players like Engstler, Jade Melbourne, Laeticia Amihere and others who only get on intermittently.

BTW, I don't know where Engstler plays overseas, but if she can work it out, she should make herself available to the U.S.A. 3x3 Committee. She'd be a hell of a half-court player; especially now that she's showing a three-pt. shot.

Reaction Score
The fact she's playing PG is confusing to me. Don't recall that being her natural spot while in college. But it doesn't fully explain why her progression has been underwhelming. It's a head scratcher.

That's more or less what she played out of the forward spot. It makes sense and hides her shooting a little.

Reaction Score

Predictive typing took over here ;). Happens to me every time when I type their names in full.

Also, I'm really happy to seeing Engstler on the court playing like she did today. Her career to date has been up and down. Really hoping she gets more opportunities like this and stick with this roster.

Reaction Score
Stats are funny. Sparks' bench outscored Liberty's subs 39-0, but NY still won by 10.

Big game for Stewie, 33 pts/7assists/3 steals/6 blocks.. She seems to be somewhat under the radar but Ionescu has been playing well. 24 pts/9 assists today. 14/13 double double for JJ plus 5 assists, and Thornton w/ 20 on an extremely efficient 7/8 shooting, 6/7 behind the arc.
They kept talking about the sparks lack of players, but the liberty didn't have Sloot, Sabally, or Laney available to play, and Burke has no business playing in the league. She and Davis both need to be let go.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't she, given how little overall PT she's had up to a few games ago? Now the trick is work her into a rotation once Aaliyah Edwards and Austin come back. If anything, having Golden State and Toronto come aboard will give more chances to players like Engstler, Jade Melbourne, Laeticia Amihere and others who only get on intermittently.

BTW, I don't know where Engstler plays overseas, but if she can work it out, she should make herself available to the U.S.A. 3x3 Committee. She'd be a hell of a half-court player; especially now that she's showing a three-pt. shot.
Why wouldn't she? There could be a host of reasons why Emily could lose her desire/fire to play in the W, which I hope she doesn't. As we all know, it is tough to crack into any rotation on any team college or pro. I just know watching Emily at Minnesota, it was hard for her to crack the rotation, for whatever season. But she plays hard on both ends of the floor. I just hope she doesn't lose that fire/drive/desire to play. I think she is in her 4th year of the WNBA. I just love her game and what she brings to a team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom