May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 39 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
In a blowout loss, Atlanta gets Amihere on the court for 12 min. Stat line of 4 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks and 0 fouls. Hopefully, this gives the coaching staff some more confidence in getting her out on the floor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A silver lining to this could be the fact that media are finding more to talk about than previous seasons.
Ugh, to paraphrase the Who, "meet the new players, we'll talk about them just like the old players." You'd think the only Fever and Sky players who contributed to the terrifically entertaining game were Clark and Boston and Angel Reese. Now, they did have a whole lot to to do with it, but that's all Holly Rowe wanted to let the world know about. Geesh.

So, smaller venue but:
  • Diamond DeShields hit two three's to help make up for a Marina Mabrey clunker day shooting. But that was primarily filled by Chennedy Carter who gets off to these near-perfect starts shooting.
  • Coach Witherspoon made a key move having Lindsay Allen in for the entire fourth quarter to run the half-court offense. Very smooth and the 7 assists helped.
  • At the end of the game, I was surprised that at least one play wasn't designed to get Clark the ball for a logo three or allow her to go one-on-one on the much smaller Allen.

The one element that screams effort to me with Reese is her ability to grab rebounds. Cardoso worked it today, too, finishing with 10 rebounds, along with those 16 points.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Game of the season so far was Indiana/Chicago. Back and forth and some brilliant play on both sides. Clark was great (17 points, 13 assists, 6 board and 4 steals) but Reese was the star today and won the game for Chicago. She absolutely dominated Nalyssa Smith head to head and took over the game in the 4th carrying Chicago to the win. Her shots were never the iso plays that never work, she looked in rhythm and finished well. Cardoso quietly had a fantastic night too. Clark dominated the first 3 quarters but was very quiet in the 4th, no assists and just 1 triple. I’m not sure what happened but the ball movement stopped and the Boston/Clark connection disappeared after those 2 had a monster third quarter. Indiana is leaps and bounds better than they were a month ago, I think a loss like this will be good for them long term. For this “not being a rivalry”, Chicago sure brought the fire and deserved the win. Also shoutout to Chennedy Carter who was great.

Reaction Score
The Lynx sure put on a clinic tonight. The Mercury have looked pretty good recently, but the result wasn’t in question almost from the beginning. Collier with another great all-around game, including a block of Griner that had all the Minnesota fans smiling.
The Merc look pretty good at home. They're a horrible road team I mean a horrible and I wonder why that is?

If the remainder of their schedule and the playoffs were all at Footprint Arena I think the Merc might be able to make it to the semiz. As it is they'll continue to float up and down in the mid pack of the W largely dependent on whether their most recent game was on the road or not.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Maybe it is just me. Obviously talk about Caitlin, both positive and negative, has dominated the story lines so far. A bit of chatter about the other rookies, A'ja, Stewie, Taurasi's still got game, Griner's back, AT doing her thing, Collier a bit under the radar but getting MVP mentions, new faces in Seattle, just seems like you gotta go WAY down the list before Ionescu comes up.
Ionescu certainly has to be motivated by Clark, as she was the original Clark. She had the California high school hype, (in jest) single handedly drove Oregon to NCAA glory, and invented the flashy assist and triple double.

Then COVID knocked out Oregon, and she lost her first WNBA season to injury. Next thing you know, you are not the story anymore. Kind of like Paige and Azzi post injury.

I've always liked Sabina's game. Happy to see her playing well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So, nothing about how Seattle seems to be trending upwards? The boxscore from today was impressive.
They were trending upward, then trending downwards prior to today's nice win. After winning 6 in a row, they've lost 3 of 5 including previous 2 games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Reese was 9-11 from the FT line today. If she can do that, there's no reason she can't add a mid range shot to her repertoire. You could say she doesn't need to, based on how effective she can be. But looking around the league, pretty much all of the really good bigs are versatile and have some shooting range.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ugh, to paraphrase the Who, "meet the new players, we'll talk about them just like the old players." You'd think the only Fever and Sky players who contributed to the terrifically entertaining game were Clark and Boston and Angel Reese. Now, they did have a whole lot to to do with it, but that's all Holly Rowe wanted to let the world know about. Geesh.

So, smaller venue but:
  • Diamond DeShields hit two three's to help make up for a Marina Mabrey clunker day shooting. But that was primarily filled by Chennedy Carter who gets off to these near-perfect starts shooting.
  • Coach Witherspoon made a key move having Lindsay Allen in for the entire fourth quarter to run the half-court offense. Very smooth and the 7 assists helped.
  • At the end of the game, I was surprised that at least one play wasn't designed to get Clark the ball for a logo three or allow her to go one-on-one on the much smaller Allen.

The one element that screams effort to me with Reese is her ability to grab rebounds. Cardoso worked it today, too, finishing with 10 rebounds, along with those 16 points.
I mean, those players really did dominate today though and are some of the biggest names in the sport. Can’t blame ESPN for focusing on them when the hype is huge and they’re almost all having career games.

I also was surprised Indiana didn’t get the ball to Clark or run action for Boston since that connection worked so well earlier in the game. I think the bad Nalyssa Smith attempt late was her going rogue rather than a designed play. And the Boston 3 was also a botched play design. Clark has definitely taken a step back offensively in volume. She isn’t looking for her shot as much and is picking and choosing her spots which has helped Indiana a lot IMO. Better ball movement and teammates are getting involved well . That said, she 100% should be the player taking most shots late in the game whether she’s shooting an off balance 3 or driving to the basket. Smith shouldn’t be taking those looks. And at the very end, Clark passed back to Boston who was in a bad spot when she should’ve tried to make a play herself. She and the rest of Indiana will learn from this.

Reaction Score

So, smaller venue but:

Reese plays very hard.

Reaction Score
They were trending upward, then trending downwards prior to today's nice win. After winning 6 in a row, they've lost 3 of 5 including previous 2 games.
Fair. However, the scoring is a lot more balanced now compared to the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Game of the season so far was Indiana/Chicago. Back and forth and some brilliant play on both sides. Clark was great (17 points, 13 assists, 6 board and 4 steals) but Reese was the star today and won the game for Chicago. She absolutely dominated Nalyssa Smith head to head and took over the game in the 4th carrying Chicago to the win. Her shots were never the iso plays that never work, she looked in rhythm and finished well. Cardoso quietly had a fantastic night too. Clark dominated the first 3 quarters but was very quiet in the 4th, no assists and just 1 triple. I’m not sure what happened but the ball movement stopped and the Boston/Clark connection disappeared after those 2 had a monster third quarter. Indiana is leaps and bounds better than they were a month ago, I think a loss like this will be good for them long term. For this “not being a rivalry”, Chicago sure brought the fire and deserved the win. Also shoutout to Chennedy Carter who was great.
That was a great game. I love the competitive level from both teams and even the back and forth between Smith and Reese. That was fun to watch. Great game.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Ionescu certainly has to be motivated by Clark, as she was the original Clark. She had the California high school hype, (in jest) single handedly drove Oregon to NCAA glory, and invented the flashy assist and triple double.

Then COVID knocked out Oregon, and she lost her first WNBA season to injury. Next thing you know, you are not the story anymore. Kind of like Paige and Azzi post injury.

I've always liked Sabina's game. Happy to see her playing well.
I wonder if the Liberty might benefit from having either Sloot or Ionescu on the court, but not both, since, to me, the combination is less than the sum of its parts, with the major subtraction coming from Sabrina's overall game. As the past seven or so games have shown, she's can be a successful point guard in her own right.

Reaction Score
That was a great game. I love the competitive level from both teams and even the back and forth between Smith and Reese. That was fun to watch. Great game.
It really was a great game to watch. And it was peak Angel Reese. I can't say enough about her performance. Caitlin was great too for much of the game. But I was blown away by Reese dominating Nalyssa Smith. Like Smith has 2 years of experience, 20 lbs on her at least, and Reese was totally dominating. And I like Smith a lot. I think she's super skilled, versatile, and it shows as she really dominates overseas in the off season. But Reese, with her unorthodox shot/ways was just too much for her. It's perplexing in a good way.

Reaction Score

So, smaller venue but:

By the end of the year Cardoso might end up the best rookie.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I mean, those players really did dominate today though and are some of the biggest names in the sport. Can’t blame ESPN for focusing on them when the hype is huge and they’re almost all having career games.

I also was surprised Indiana didn’t get the ball to Clark or run action for Boston since that connection worked so well earlier in the game. I think the bad Nalyssa Smith attempt late was her going rogue rather than a designed play. And the Boston 3 was also a botched play design. Clark has definitely taken a step back offensively in volume. She isn’t looking for her shot as much and is picking and choosing her spots which has helped Indiana a lot IMO. Better ball movement and teammates are getting involved well . That said, she 100% should be the player taking most shots late in the game whether she’s shooting an off balance 3 or driving to the basket. Smith shouldn’t be taking those looks. And at the very end, Clark passed back to Boston who was in a bad spot when she should’ve tried to make a play herself. She and the rest of Indiana will learn from this.
As noted in my post, kudos to all the players mentioned by ESPN and many of the posts, including mine.

My issue is with a virtually pre-ordained take on the players ESPN is going to feature. It just worked out this time that positioning and performance coincided. This is a personal peeve of mine when programming and journalism are so intertwined that the medium almost becomes the message.

We're in total agreement on Clark not pulling the trigger in the last few minutes. Would love to give credit to Allen, Carter and/or Mabrey for putting the clamps down, but it looked like Indiana wanted to go inside at the expense of anything else.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wonder if the Liberty might benefit from having either Sloot or Ionescu on the court, but not both, since, to me, the combination is less than the sum of its parts, with the major subtraction coming from Sabrina's overall game. As the past seven or so games have shown, she's can be a successful point guard in her own right.
I've thought that at times. Seems like Sloot's best games are when Ionescu isn't going off. Sloot's as good of a playmaker as the WNBA has ever seen, but you have to have the ball in your hands to make plays. Ionescu can be an explosive scorer and skilled passer in her own right, so she also needs the ball in her hands to do what she does best. Something has to give.

Reaction Score
It really was a great game to watch. And it was peak Angel Reese. I can't say enough about her performance. Caitlin was great too for much of the game. But I was blown away by Reese dominating Nalyssa Smith. Like Smith has 2 years of experience, 20 lbs on her at least, and Reese was totally dominating. And I like Smith a lot. I think she's super skilled, versatile, and it shows as she really dominates overseas in the off season. But Reese, with her unorthodox shot/ways was just too much for her. It's perplexing in a good way.
'Angel Reese has no position at the next level' always seemed weird. She was POY in a league filled with pros and almost pros in the frontcourt. It's fair to be surprised by 2nd in the league in rebounding, but she had future pro all over her for the last two years at LSU.

I wish Kamilla had not missed so much of camp and the early season. I think she would be right up there with Reese and Clark in the rookie discussion. I've always been big on her, even getting LOLed at on here for saying pre 2023-24 she might work her way into the top 3 picks. I don't think making it there by default counts, but I also stand by she should have been rated higher than Brink.

I don't claim to watch a lot of Fever games, but whenever I do, they seem to have way too many careless turnovers. Just professional athletes fumbling passes that would lead to my bad recriminations in a decent pickup game. It's baffling.

Edited to add - also not terribly impressed with Indiana's coaching. For those who watch them more closely, am I wrong here?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Craziest thing is to watch Marina Mabrey play the level headed peacemaker of the group. lol. I saw her like smiling having friendly chats yesterday. felt like I was in a bizzaro world (i'm a fan of mabrey, this is not shade).
I noticed that and made note of that as well. And to think she did this while having one of her worst shooting performances of the year, including missing two free throws at the end (MM is usually a spot-on FT shooter). A couple thoughts: Lindsay Allen played a lot of minutes yesterday and she's always a "keep cool" teammate for the Mabreys. Plus, MM's been in the league for what -- five+ years now -- and she's been around. Plus she's helping the "young 'uns" of the Chicago line-up: Angel Reese, Kamilla Cardosos, Chennedy Carter, etc.

Plus, I admit it was a change of pace to see Katie Lou Samuelsson and Mabrey go after that loose ball, then see KLS toss it away and the get the "T." Talk about role reversals! Of course, Mabrey had to be restrained, but hit that "T." (Marina and Katie Lou have been rivals since the McDonald's All-American game their senior HS year.).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom