May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 40 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
It really was a great game to watch. And it was peak Angel Reese. I can't say enough about her performance. Caitlin was great too for much of the game. But I was blown away by Reese dominating Nalyssa Smith. Like Smith has 2 years of experience, 20 lbs on her at least, and Reese was totally dominating. And I like Smith a lot. I think she's super skilled, versatile, and it shows as she really dominates overseas in the off season. But Reese, with her unorthodox shot/ways was just too much for her. It's perplexing in a good way.
Same here. I was expecting Nalyssa to assert herself against Angel in this 3rd matchup. In the earlier two games it has been pretty even. I think Smith played well and did pretty good in those matchups. Angel is having a very impressive rookie season. It is going to be interesting to see how the rookie of the year process unfolds. CC and Angel are the front runners right now.

Reaction Score
I've thought that at times. Seems like Sloot's best games are when Ionescu isn't going off. Sloot's as good of a playmaker as the WNBA has ever seen, but you have to have the ball in your hands to make plays. Ionescu can be an explosive scorer and skilled passer in her own right, so she also needs the ball in her hands to do what she does best. Something has to give.
Another thing with Sloot out is Stewie brings the ball up a lot. This allows Sabrina and Jones, and others to run their defenders off screens, and Stewie being a good passer, they get a lot of open looks.
The same thong with JJ, a good passer.
You have to guard them as soon as they get to half court

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's something that was in the WaPo this morning (hope the page is visible to non-subscribers). Potentially a lot of change coming after next year. One surprising point was that Lexie Brown and Kalani Brown are the only two players not on rookie contracts who are signed past 2025. That arises from the potential new media deal and the union being able to opt out of the current CBA at the end of next season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Interesting topic: “ screen assists “

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1112439/#:~:text=USA%20Today%20Sports-,The%20NBA%20tracks%20“screen%20assists%2C”%20which%20is%20a%20screen,to%20NBA.com%2Fstats.
Looks like the period at the end caused a problem. I'm able to get to the page by copying and pasting the link less the period at the end. (I tried posting the link sans period but it must be too long or the board doesn't like the commas and tildes.)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Morgan -- the Wings Hardly Knew 'Ye. Sims back on the Dallas Merry-go-Round

It's Dallas and while folks love to instantly point fingers/cannons at Arike, the personnel situation dictates that one looks at GM Greg Bibb and HC Latricia Trammell. Now, the signing of Morgan Bertsch was nothing really more than a stop-gap move, given Maddy Siegrist's broken finger and surgery, which -- in itself -- was important due to Satou Sabally's continued absence.

So is Sabally coming back? Or will Dallas go with more of a two forward-three guard approach.
In that case, who will Sims -- who was not signed to sit on the bench (at least immediately) -- take time away from?
Jacy Sheldon or Sevgi Uzun, both of whom have showed signs of getting it in their more recent appearances?
Or Lou Lopez Senechal, who could use some air time?

As for Sims, this is like a Who lyric: meet the new guard, same as the old guard. Oh she was both!! If they liked her so much, why'd they get rid of her (and it all can't be contracts at this point....or is it?). Geesh.

Dallas keeps drafting young talent and then shucking it after a year or two or until a "proven" vet becomes available...for awhile.
And Trammell sours quickly on younger talent, preferring to play her vets. After a few years of viewing, I've gone from questioning to skeptical on the approach and stick-to-it-iveness of the Dallas front office. If they don't get it together soon, I'd personally just play the young(er) players to see what they have going forward.

Reaction Score
Minnesota takes the Commissioner’s Cup game.

I’m a huge Collier fan, but I’m mildly taken aback that Carleton wasn’t the MVP.

And @cancontent didn’t bribe me to say that. ;)
Hats off to Minnesota!! That was a great game. I am surprise that Bridget Carleton wasn't MVP as well. I will be honest, I have always been suspect of BC and the amount of minutes she gets and for what little production she has given Minnesota over the past few seasons. Last night and the last few games, BC has been frigging ball her you-know-what off out there! I am happy for BC. She has shown up. We all knew she had that potential, and she is shining bright...and she should have been awarded the MVP last night.

Reaction Score
Hats off to Minnesota!! That was a great game. I am surprise that Bridget Carleton wasn't MVP as well. I will be honest, I have always been suspect of BC and the amount of minutes she gets and for what little production she has given Minnesota over the past few seasons. Last night and the last few games, BC has been frigging ball her you-know-what off out there! I am happy for BC. She has shown up. We all knew she had that potential, and she is shining bright...and she should have been awarded the MVP last night.

Completely fair as I felt the same way last season. At the same time, similar to Ionescu, it looks like Carleton is a lot healthier than previous seasons. I think that is a huge component in her performance this season.

Reaction Score
folks love to instantly point fingers/cannons at Arike
Your general analysis about the Wings might well be spot on, Dillon77, and I would expect you to defend Arike, but my fingers/cannons are still pointed at her.

Her general demeanor (and tendency toward bad sportsmanship), and her insistence on a me first approach to the game have long led me to believe some players just don't want to play with her. Too bad. She's a wonderful talent who just needs to understand the game was not created for her glorification.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom