May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 34 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Looked like the knee to me
Definitely looks like the knee, it bent awkwardly and she immediately clutched it. Good sign that she put some weight on it walking off of the court, but I'll be keeping fingers crossed for the best.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, regardless of whether it's a knee or an ankle, Brink injured the joint enough that she didn't come back (I use that phrase "stay tuned" for a lot of reasons ;))

I hope that this is a sprain, whether it be the knee or ankle. (We'll find out soon enough.). And, yes, it does have implications beyond the WNBA, but I'll withhold any judgement on that until hearing what the injury is and the extent thereof. Best of luck, Cameron.

Reaction Score
Why does the WNBA have the Olympic team members up for all-star game voting? It seems to me that voting for one of the Olympic team members would be a waste of a vote because they Olympic team will be playing the rest of the all-stars, right? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Why does the WNBA have the Olympic team members up for all-star game voting? It seems to me that voting for one of the Olympic team members would be a waste of a vote because they Olympic team will be playing the rest of the all-stars, right? Am I misunderstanding something here?
I'm approaching it that way, as well. As such, I'm not voting for any Olympic Team members (any country).
(It's actually kind of liberating....:D;))

Reaction Score

Hopefully they (Coaching staff, medical staff, and player) are all on the same page in terms of minutes playing going forward. I am a fan of bringing a player along slowly. 3-5 minutes a quarter. But I will be watching the game tonight. Glad to see Chelsea back out there.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Big time win for the Mercury over NY last night, where the teams hit a combined 33 three-pointers (And Stewart, who has been woeful from 3-this season, went 4-4).

Balanced scoring for both teams, with all TEN starters in double figures. Best offensive game for Rebecca Allen all season long.

Nekias Duncan had a great thread on Twitter about how the Mercury offense has improved since Griner is back--so much so that their offensive rating tops the league when BG is on the floor:

I will say, not to make too much of this, but Brondello tried to give Laney-Hamilton rest at the top of the 4th. When she sat her, Liberty were up 7. When she came back 2.5min of game time later, Liberty were down 1. Laney-Hamilton has the second highest net rating of any player in the league, behind Brionna Jones, and NY just works much better on offense and defense with her on the court.

Reaction Score

Like c'mon......
Animated GIF

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I believe Dallas has the right to swap first round picks with Chicago in the 2025 draft, dating back to the Mabrey trade. At this rate though, Dallas may want to keep their own pick. [That being said, if they get Howard, Arike, Sabally all on the court at the same time, and somehow sneak into playoffs, does any #1 see want to play them?)

Reaction Score

I wonder if this is a symptom of the league schedules so that they can make space for the Olympics. Playing a high number of games in a short period of time has to wear down their bodies and make the players more susceptible to injury.
Good question.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's shocking to see so many injuries to non-UConn players.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky:
said:
"It's shocking to see so many injuries to non-UConn players."

Milford: Do you mean that it's shocking to see players "other than ones currently at or who used to play at UConn" getting hurt?
That's the only logical takeaway I can ascertain.

Also, while I feel for Maddy Sigrist's broken finger, that's not something that necessarily comes from overuse or scheduling.
I've had a basketball get through another player's arms and clip my pinky straight; both breaking it and generating one of those white light flashes in front of my eyes. I was playing in a weekly league so was not overtaxed physically :rolleyes:;)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So is Katie Lou.
I dont know Stefs qualifications, as to how much 3 x 3 tournies she has been in the last 18 months. Lou played in a tournie in Puerto Rico this winter.

Richard Cohen briefly explains the qualifications, and mentions both Alisha Gray and Dericka Hamby are available too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I dont know Stefs qualifications, as to how much 3 x 3 tournies she has been in the last 18 months. Lou played in a tournie in Puerto Rico this winter.

Richard Cohen briefly explains the qualifications, and mentions both Alisha Gray and Dericka Hamby are available too.

Both Hamby and Gray are both good and deserving.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
FWIW, I've moved the 3x3 discussion over to the U.S.A. 3x3 thread, so as not to clutter up the WNBA thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom