May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 38 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't she? There could be a host of reasons why Emily could lose her desire/fire to play in the W, which I hope she doesn't. As we all know, it is tough to crack into any rotation on any team college or pro. I just know watching Emily at Minnesota, it was hard for her to crack the rotation, for whatever season. But she plays hard on both ends of the floor. I just hope she doesn't lose that fire/drive/desire to play. I think she is in her 4th year of the WNBA. I just love her game and what she brings to a team.
Would love to see the Liberty pick her up, they have 3 players who contribute nothing, Burke, Davis, and Sabally who is continually injured. Even was she has played hasn't been outstanding.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Lynx sure put on a clinic tonight. The Mercury have looked pretty good recently, but the result wasn’t in question almost from the beginning. Collier with another great all-around game, including a block of Griner that had all the Minnesota fans smiling.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
including a block of Griner that had all the Minnesota fans smiling.
Griner should never get her shot blocked, ever.

I seem to recall Collier made life difficult for Stewie in a playoff series one season when she was still w/ the Storm, including a a nice swat.

Reaction Score
Washington has no Shakira Austin, Brittney Sykes and, now, no Aaliyah Boston. And, today at least, Ariel Atkins was not on her torrid streak of the last few games.

No problem. Washington wins 97-69 over Dallas. Stef Dolson has a 16-pt., 10 rebound double; Karlie Samuelsson goes 3-5 from three en route to 17 points; and Jade Melbourne shoots 4-5 from the field and 5-6 from the line for 13 in 18 minutes.

But, most importantly, as Karlie noted in a post-game interview, they had Emily Engstler, who went 7-11 from the floor, including 3-4 from three. She also snared 9 rebounds (Samuelsson admitted the team wanted her to get 10 for a double-double. and did usual Engstler things: providing jolts of energy, guarding much bigger people and not backing down. Ever. Having to use all of your bench may be an eye-opener for Father and Son Thibault in re-evaluating the roster. Engstler is getting a chance to show she can play a bunch in this league and contribute to teams winning and/or being competitive.

As for Melbourne, looks like a last-second pickup by Pops Thibault that will pay dividends. Youngest player on roster looks better every time I see her.

BTW, the Mystics' bench outscored Dallas 28-3. Kalani Brown scored in the second half but still isn't a factor down low often enough on defense. Jacy Sheldon has a lot of energy and Uzun has her moments. Natasha Howard is getting into game shape. Big T and Arike just weren't there today.

Boston??

Reaction Score
Griner should never get her shot blocked, ever.

I seem to recall Collier made life difficult for Stewie in a playoff series one season when she was still w/ the Storm, including a a nice swat.
Ever? I mean Kareem had his skyhook shot blocked a few times over his 20 plus years. Getting that shot block didn't happen a lot, but it happened. Same with BG. Her shot will get blocked from time to time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Boston??:cool::cool:;)
@cancontent also nailed me on this one: Edwards.

While I wrote this, I probably had my eye on whatever EuroCup game was going on and the auto-correct program for whatever server I was on probably saw "Aaliyah" and typed in "Boston" because, well, that's the favorite of the algorithm. And since it's spelled correctly, I -- and another program -- just missed it. All a long way of saying, yes: Edwards. (but both of you know I know that.....;))

Reaction Score
Watching this current season of the Lynx, I have not only been impressed with the shooting of Kayla McBride, which opens up the floor for Courtney and Natisha, but having players make shots takes a lot of pressure off Napheesa. Also, the addition of Alanna Smith is playing huge dividends on both ends of the court. She is annoying on defense. Just watch other teams try to do a post entry pass. Smith plays the angles and makes it tough for those entry passes. I hope coach Reeve and her staff are charting deflections because Alanna gets at least 2-3 per quarter which sparks the Lynx transition offense. Then on the offensive end of the court. Alanna can give you the long ball (3-point shot) or put it on the deck and finish with either hand on either side of the glass. Alanna is that young lady!! I am glad that we have her, Courtney, and Natisha. Minny is deep! I can't wait for this Commish Cup match up with New York!!

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
LA Sparks Sign Queen Egbo

This is now her fourth (?) team: Indiana, Washington, Connecticut, LA. Obvious need to an extra front-court player. Will see how much PT, help comes out of this situation for both player and team.

Reaction Score
Had the pleasure of catching the Liberty at Barclays yesterday. The place was absolutely rocking, especially after a track down block by Stewart to save a transition layup. Yesterday was one of those days where you could really see and feel the growth of the WNBA. Last season, the liberty had the upper bowl of the arena closed for all games except for once against Vegas and then the post season. In a regular season matchup against a the sparks, the upper bowl was 3/4 open, and packed. Attendance was 13k+. A great environment and the home team put on a show.

Reaction Score
LA Sparks Sign Queen Egbo

This is now her fourth (?) team: Indiana, Washington, Connecticut, LA. Obvious need to an extra front-court player. Will see how much PT, help comes out of this situation for both player and team.

The story about getting her jersey together was quite the effort from what was explained during the game yesterday. Duct tape, the go to solution for everything! :D

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ionescu is killing it again today. Seems like she's been on a whole different level the whole time Sloot has been out. Will be interesting to see what happens once Courtney returns.

Is it just me, or is nobody really talking about Sabrina? She did make the Olympic team, but it's like she's so 2 or 3 years ago or something.

Reaction Score
Ionescu is killing it again today. Seems like she's been on a whole different level the whole time Sloot has been out. Will be interesting to see what happens once Courtney returns.

Is it just me, or is nobody really talking about Sabrina? She did make the Olympic team, but it's like she's so 2 or 3 years ago or something.
I've seen articles on Ionescu and posts on social media about her performance so far this season. She's been getting her fair share of recognition this season from my perspective.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is Dallas really the worst team in the league currently? Indiana and Washington got off to tough starts, but both finding their footing. LA in contention for worst as well. Chicago and Atlanta both won some games early, both heading the wrong direction now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen articles on Ionescu and posts on social media about her performance so far this season. She's been getting her fair share of recognition this season from my perspective.
Maybe it is just me. Obviously talk about Caitlin, both positive and negative, has dominated the story lines so far. A bit of chatter about the other rookies, A'ja, Stewie, Taurasi's still got game, Griner's back, AT doing her thing, Collier a bit under the radar but getting MVP mentions, new faces in Seattle, just seems like you gotta go WAY down the list before Ionescu comes up.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Connecticut has been leading the league all season, but suddenly they are on a 2 game losing streak and NY has passed them by.

edit--and Sun tied w/ Lynx for 2nd

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In a few more ticks of the clock Dallas will officially have the worst record in the league, and Mystics will have won 4 of their last 5 games.

Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck at halftime of the Indiana-Chicago WNBA game, “Indiana was intentional for getting the ball down low”.

“intentional for getting”? Nice syntax.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Dallas really the worst team in the league currently? Indiana and Washington got off to tough starts, but both finding their footing. LA in contention for worst as well. Chicago and Atlanta both won some games early, both heading the wrong direction now.

I think injuries are playing a big factor. Howard is back, but Sabally is still out. Washington is missing Austin, Sykes, and Edwards. But Dallas has the worst record now, and Chicago is struggling. Atlanta was missing Canada and Parker-Tyus and is missing Rhyne Howard.

Reaction Score
I love the rookie inside duo for Chicago. They need more guard help though…

Reaction Score
Liberty have continued to win with Sloot, and Sabally out. Then Laney has missed the last 2. Stewart, and Sabrina need to start playing less minutes. Especially Stewart, because she can guard so many positions, she usually is on the floor a lot during the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Reese vs Smith has been entertaining, along with this game as a whole. Reese is truly a competitor and very active on the glass. She's destroying Smith on the boards, including several key offensive boards. Smith gave her the "too small" gesture and then Reese scored 2 "and-1's" on her. Smith is bad defensively

Reaction Score
Maybe it is just me. Obviously talk about Caitlin, both positive and negative, has dominated the story lines so far. A bit of chatter about the other rookies, A'ja, Stewie, Taurasi's still got game, Griner's back, AT doing her thing, Collier a bit under the radar but getting MVP mentions, new faces in Seattle, just seems like you gotta go WAY down the list before Ionescu comes up.
A silver lining to this could be the fact that media are finding more to talk about than previous seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom