Mathis to Rutgers | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Mathis to Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is all very predictable stuff here. We fail to recruit a player, a bunch of people jump on the program, complain about the conference, say his mom doesn't like KO's aftershave, Chill has no clue, Kill has no clue and nobody even considers for a second that basketball may not be the reason. Or it may be. We know nothing. Then others say everything is cool, the other side of the grass isn't greener, we can't do better than what we have and still nobody mentions all the different variables that go into a teenager picking where they go to college. You folks can all go run off the dock. I'll be sitting on it, sipping a margarita and give you a high five on the way off. Come fall, I'll cheer for my team, whatever roster they might be, perfect or imperfect, but I'll be dry and still holding my margarita while you all wallow in your arguments that you probably have no idea about. Enjoy. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
This is all very predictable stuff here. We fail to recruit a player, a bunch of people jump on the program, complain about the conference, say his mom doesn't like KO's aftershave, Chill has no clue, Kill has no clue and nobody even considers for a second that basketball may not be the reason. Or it may be. We know nothing. Then others say everything is cool, the other side of the grass isn't greener, we can't do better than what we have and still nobody mentions all the different variables that go into a teenager picking where they go to college. You folks can all go run off the dock. I'll be sitting on it, sipping a margarita and give you a high five on the way off. Come fall, I'll cheer for my team, whatever roster they might be, perfect or imperfect, but I'll be dry and still holding my margarita while you all wallow in your arguments that you probably have no idea about. Enjoy. Go Huskies!

10/10

C

Chief00

You're too stupid to realize this kid WAS flipping back and forth from his choice to his parents wishes for the last few days. 99 had it right you just would prefer to look at it from your completely negative outlook. Keep up the good work.

Mau -Quite frankly, my comment was not related to the other post you quoted. It was in reply to a Stairmaster rant about Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Was anyone here recruited to play college sports? The kid is going to Rutgers because he's gonna be a starter and have the ball in his hands from day 1. 99 said Rutgers offered the world. The flip flop and indecision was the fact that it's 4 time National Champion UConn with its history of great guards. He was not starting at UConn as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Was anyone here recruited to play college sports? The kid is going to Rutgers because he's gonna be a starter and have the ball in his hands from day 1. 99 said Rutgers offered the world. The flip flop and indecision was the fact that it's 4 time National Champion UConn with its history of great guards. He was not starting at UConn as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore.

The sport would have perfect parit if this held. It doesn't.

Reaction Score

Yes I have. And you could be right. But what about his mom? That has something to do with it as well. And if he wants to get to next level he is taking a big chance on Rutgers and their new staff that only did it with Calhoun and KO.

It's probably a combination. He will get the ball and mom is happy.

Reaction Score
Wrong. No one is leaving that $$$ on the table to be a middle-of-the-pack team in a punchline conference.

I was really talking about "state of the program" more than switching conferences.

If you want to be Washington State or LSU or BC or Rutgers, then I don't know what to tell you.

What is your excuse going to be when Cinnci and WSU spend the entire season in the top 15 and WSU makes the elite 8 and Gonzaga makes another championship game?

Your excuse would be Ollie, right? And that's fine, all I've been arguing is that he shouldn't be fired in August after losing a 90th ranked recruit to Rutgers.

He gets one more year.

pj

Reaction Score

Come on, we have only 2 guards and 1 small forward on the roster for 2018-19. He would have played major minutes, whether or not he started.

pj

Reaction Score
Mau -Quite frankly, my comment was not related to the other post you quoted. It was in reply to a Stairmaster rant about Calhoun.

Chief, Stairmaster was right on that one. Opposing coaches were negative recruiting about Calhoun's age and health the last few years of his tenure. Boeheim is another HOF coach subject to the same critique. If JC were to come back, the negative recruiting ("he won't be there you whole four years, maybe not even your first") would be even more intense.

Reaction Score

My reply was to UConnfan8 so I have no idea how it ended with you thinking I directed this at you?

Reaction Score
Come on, we have only 2 guards and 1 small forward on the roster for 2018-19. He would have played major minutes, whether or not he started.

3 guards and 2 small forwards there's no guarantee Adams and Larrier are gone after 17-18. Right now neither one are projected to be drafted on nbadraft.net.

C

Chief00

Chief, Stairmaster was right on that one. Opposing coaches were negative recruiting about Calhoun's age and health the last few years of his tenure. Boeheim is another HOF coach subject to the same critique. If JC were to come back, the negative recruiting ("he won't be there you whole four years, maybe not even your first") would be even more intense.
JC's last recruiting year - he got arguably the number one recruit in the country - AD

pj

Reaction Score
JC's last recruiting year - he got arguably the number one recruit in the country - AD

Yes, not saying he couldn't overcome the negative recruiting, especially local kids - being a Hall of Famer helps - but the negative recruiting was out there.

Reaction Score
He was not starting at UConn as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore.
Oh really? As it sits right now tell me who he's competing against for playing time as a sophomore. And even as a freshman he might not have much competition if some people leave early.

Reaction Score
Oh really? As it sits right now tell me who he's competing against for playing time as a sophomore. And even as a freshman he might not have much competition if some people leave early.

As a freshman, he doesn't start over a senior Adams nor a junior Vital. As a sophomore, he doesn't start over a senior Vital.

Reaction Score
As if any of our prospective recruits are fixated on those two games like some posters here are.

Think about the reality of the situation though. Compared to those two teams, UConn's roster was absolutely loaded and if I remember correctly, UConn was a pre season Top 20 team. To go out and lose 2 straight home games to teams with vastly inferior rosters is problematic. It made the remainder of the season an uphill battle, even before all the injuries took place.

Ranked teams get so much more exposure on sportscenter, etc. than unranked teams. When you go unranked all season long, you are certainly at a disadvantage from a recruiting standpoint. So while your post may have some merit, those 2 losses did result in some negative consequences for the program.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Wake up, you're dreaming.

Remarkable how we're so freaking loaded that we can't land a single player while everyone we consider a peer has no such issue. With our roster from next season on, there's every chance this kid would get all the playing time he'd want.

C

Chief00

Yes, not saying he couldn't overcome the negative recruiting, especially local kids - being a Hall of Famer helps - but the negative recruiting was out there.
Yes, HOF helps.

Reaction Score
As a freshman, he doesn't start over a senior Adams nor a junior Vital. As a sophomore, he doesn't start over a senior Vital.
If Adams is still here by then he's definitely one of our guards. No question there. But if he's scared of competing against Vital for one of the guard spots then he should just go to a low major. I highly doubt he didn't choose UConn because he's scared of competing with what is on the roster. But think whatever you want that makes you feel better about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom