Mathis to Rutgers | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Mathis to Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No one's saying he's Allen Iverson nor maybe even an NBA prospect. But he's a good player and as a junior he'll be better than a freshman Mathis.
This property holds true for almost every school he was considering. I know nothing about Rutger's roster but I'm sure when Mathis enters there will be an upperclassman at his position who will simply produce more. His decision had nothing to do with competition and minutes ahead of him, let's end that now.

Reaction Score
This property holds true for almost every school he was considering. I know nothing about Rutger's roster but I'm sure when Mathis enters there will be an upperclassman at his position who will simply produce more. His decision had nothing to do with competition and minutes ahead of him, let's end that now.

It has everything to do with why he was even considering Rutgers in the first place. They sold him on coming in and being the man from day 1. If the mommy wants him to go there story is true it was what tipped the scales to Rutgers but it certainly wasn't the only factor.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
They sold him on coming in and being the man from day 1.
Zero chance this is how things actually play out. This kid is not that caliber player, you are building him up to be more than he is to push the bold text.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This fellow is taking a loser's lament and turning it into an art form.

Reaction Score

You're the ones crying like little babies cause we didn't get a recruit. Talk about losers. Then you'll talk about "trends" as far as our recruiting has gone recently. How about this for trends? UConn's won 4 NC's the most recent ones only six and three years ago where your highly incompetent coach was a top assistant and then the head coach. In both cases UConn wasn't expected to be in the conversation for a National Championship. In both cases we had an extremely talented lead guard which we just so happened to have for this upcoming season. I'll choose to be positive and focus on those trends that lead to National Championships. You can continue to cry about every little recruit we don't get and what our roster potentially looks like two, three and four years down the road.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That's not their point.
Their point is that he "knows" how to do it, but he's lost his sales touch, either because recruits view him differently, he's selling a worse product, or whatever.

In other words, it's not that he doesn't know "how" to recruit, it's that he's "unable" to recruit, which can both be adequately described by the phrase, "he can't recruit."

Maybe some. But not most. And Chill shouldn't have been hired?
Lots of thrashing around trying to blame someone or something.
But I get your semantic point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
True, but we've been like the Hudson River School for that movement of late. We've inspired a generation of artists with that aesthetic vision.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If they really mattered, how did St. John's who lost to Delaware State and LIU end up with an advantage over us for Sid Wilson?

You won't answer this because you can't.

I find the Wagner/Northeastern argument for losing recruits LOL funny. It's as though some people here think that Steve Pikiell pulled out a copy of our last season's schedule and had these two games highlighted in red, exclaiming "Do you really want to go to a program that lost to these two teams? " He and most other coaches wouldn't have the balls to do that, for fear that somebody else would pull a copy of their schedule to point out some warts of their own. There's plenty of ammunition in Rutger's case.

Oh, and the argument that it doomed us to an entire season thereafter out of the T25. Was Rutgers ever in the T25 last season? How about New Mexico? St. John's?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I find the Wagner/Northeastern argument for losing recruits LOL funny.

It's a piece of the puzzle. It's one thing for a lousy team to lose those games. It's another for a Top 25 team to lose them. It raises valid questions especially when a bunch of players leave at the end of the season. It's not LOL funny, it's very sad.

Reaction Score
It's not a piece of the puzzle. Just read an article where Montez is talking about getting in on the ground floor and hoping to help a rebuild at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
If they really mattered, how did St. John's who lost to Delaware State and LIU end up with an advantage over us for Sid Wilson?

You won't answer this because you can't.

You're missing as usual. Those loses put Uconn with the St. John's of the world. Viewed top tier teams don't lose those games. I believe loses like that along with underachieving AAC play has create a lot of doubt in recruits about Uconn still being a top tier program.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's not a piece of the puzzle. Just read an article where Montez is talking about getting in on the ground floor and hoping to help a rebuild at Rutgers.

^^^^^This is exactly why it should mean nothing to a recruit that you just lost to a couple of teams you should have beaten. If anything, it should be a positive. These recruits have spent their time in HS surrounded by people telling tham how great they are. They're ego driven, and likely going to figure they're better than anybody on the team who played in those losses, and that's not going to happen again on their watch.

Mathis comes in thinking he will be Rutger's savior.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You're missing as usual. Those loses put Uconn with the St. John's of the world. Viewed top tier teams don't lose those games. I believe loses like that along with underachieving AAC play has create a lot of doubt in recruits about Uconn still being a top tier program.

If St. John's is losing worse games and beating us out for recruits, the losses aren't the problem.

Reaction Score
If St. John's is losing worse games and beating us out for recruits, the losses aren't the problem.

You're comparing our bad loses with St. John's. That in itself is the issue. When a top 100 recruit had a chance at Uconn he went, didn't matter what mom said or if it was closer to home. Those loses make the Uconn brand lose that power. The program has been going in wrong direction and those two games let's not forget ECU cement that as reality. Bottom line you dont have a program with a name recruiting advantage when losing games like that at bome.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Great. Continuing to obsess over them is mind-numbingly annoying for the rest of us.

First time I've posted about those games in months, so I'm hardly obsessing. What's mind numbingly annoying is the fact that you can't handle being challenged. Either develop some thicker skin or step outside of your myopic viewpoint and get a broader perspective. You spend far to much time whining about what others post.

Reaction Score
Great. Continuing to obsess over them is mind-numbingly annoying for the rest of us.

Obsessing.... its telling a story. Figuring how uconn got here. This is all reflection on getting dominated in recruits by much lesser programs.

Reaction Score
From all I have heard from my sources the staff definitely believes there was some negative, dirty recruiting in the final days from the RU staff...Also hearing that our staff is not completely giving up on Mathis until he signs is LOI, because they think he may flip back to UConn. Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I've heard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From all I have heard from my sources the staff definitely believes there was some negative, dirty recruiting in the final days from the RU staff...Also hearing that our staff is not completely giving up on Mathis until he signs is LOI, because they think he may flip back to UConn. Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I've heard.

The staff thinks there was negative recruiting? It's called recruiting.

I hate to do this, but I've also heard that we're not all dead here, we're only mostly dead.

Reaction Score
The staff thinks there was negative recruiting? It's called recruiting.

I hate to do this, but I've also heard that we're not all dead here, we're only mostly dead.

In case you haven't noticed, there's been some serious issues closing since Miller left. I'll just say, he didn't leave the program in a graceful manner and I'll leave it at that. When a disgruntled former coach starts smearing the program with made up BS that other people hear whispers about and use to "close" a recruit instead of selling their own program that's a problem. Our staff has taken an approach that we're above that and not going to stoop to that level.

You call it whatever you want, but our staff considers what happened "dirty".

temery

What?
Reaction Score
In case you haven't noticed, there's been some serious issues closing since Miller left. I'll just say, he didn't leave the program in a graceful manner and I'll leave it at that. When a disgruntled former coach starts smearing the program with made up BS that other people hear whispers about and use to "close" a recruit instead of selling their own program that's a problem. Our staff has taken an approach that we're above that and not going to stoop to that level.

You call it whatever you want, but our staff considers what happened "dirty".

I'm the glass is 1/2 full guy, but I doubt anything needs to be made up. And the negative recruiting stuff has been going on for decades.

Reaction Score
I hope they change tactics and begin fighting for recruits by refuting this crap. Call it what it is, "dirty recruiting." Assume its going on and point out to the recruits and their family where its coming from and refute it if you can. If it's true, different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom