Mathis to Rutgers | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Mathis to Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As if any of our prospective recruits are fixated on those two games like some posters here are.
No fixation, those two games were the canary in the coal mine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No fixation, those two games were the canary in the coal mine.
Now if I tell you that you suffer from delusions
You pay your analyst to reach the same conclusions

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Ironically the buzz from the tos gurus support the flip flopping that i posted. Think what you want and just do me a favor and block me please. No need for you negative vibe. I post what i hear from a few places. Ironically i was ahead of the crystal ballz swing.
Don't stop forwarding what you hear. Ignore the morons who can't control their emotions.

Reaction Score
Wake up, you're dreaming.

Remarkable how we're so freaking loaded that we can't land a single player while everyone we consider a peer has no such issue. With our roster from next season on, there's every chance this kid would get all the playing time he'd want.

This kid wants to go to the NBA. The school name, history, success, etc. don't really factor into that but his opportunity to showcase his abilities is the major factor. At Rutgers he will have much more of an opportunity from day 1.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the idea that Ollie doesn't know how to recruit is about the funniest theme on this thread. He knew how to recruit last year (top 10) and this year he forgot?
Also, Coach Chill has a national reputation for recruiting, brought us to the precipice with a couple recruits, the he forgot how to recruit?
I think we need to address the amnesia outbreak.

Or, look at the fact that negative recruiting is killing us.
Whether that means we find a way to counter it, allow time and KO s revitalized behavior to run its course, or fire our Coach because the stink won't go away
Not knowing how to recruit, Wagner, even the AAC (at this juncture) have little to do with it

Reaction Score
If Adams is still here by then he's definitely one of our guards. No question there. But if he's scared of competing against Vital for one of the guard spots then he should just go to a low major. I highly doubt he didn't choose UConn because he's scared of competing with what is on the roster. But think whatever you want that makes you feel better about this.

So we've established he'd be behind Adams. But you're saying a freshman Mathis will be better or at least comparable to a junior Vital? Based on the highlights I've seen, I disagree with that but we're both entitled to our opinions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If they really mattered, how did St. John's who lost to Delaware State and LIU end up with an advantage over us for Sid Wilson?
You won't answer this because you can't.

Do you even know what "canary in a coal mine means"?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This kid wants to go to the NBA. The school name, history, success, etc. don't really factor into that but his opportunity to showcase his abilities is the major factor. At Rutgers he will have much more of an opportunity from day 1.

They all want to go to the NBA.

And he wanted to commit to UConn - he had an edit made for a Twitter announcement.

So your theory is basically crap.

Reaction Score

And he wanted to commit to UConn - he had an edit made for a Twitter announcement.

A theory of a kid wanting to go to a college that gives the most opportunity for playing time is crap? You obviously weren't a college athlete. And if the kid wanted to go to UConn why did he choose Rutgers? I guess it just plays to the insanity of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I think the idea that Ollie doesn't know how to recruit is about the funniest theme on this thread. He knew how to recruit last year (top 10) and this year he forgot?
That's not their point.
Their point is that he "knows" how to do it, but he's lost his sales touch, either because recruits view him differently, he's selling a worse product, or whatever.

In other words, it's not that he doesn't know "how" to recruit, it's that he's "unable" to recruit, which can both be adequately described by the phrase, "he can't recruit."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A theory of a kid wanting to go to a college that gives the most opportunity for playing time is crap? You obviously weren't a college athlete. And if the kid wanted to go to UConn why did he choose Rutgers? I guess it just plays to the insanity of the Boneyard.

Actually, sport, I was. And just stop - neither of us were anything special as a college athlete.

Kid committed to Rutgers because Pikiell did a hell of a job recruiting the family, not because our roster was so loaded that he was scared off. Only on this board is Christian Vital considered such a monumental talent that players go elsewhere in droves to avoid competing with him.

Our coaching staff stinks at recruiting which is why our roster in 2018/2019 looks like scrapple and not the imposing wall of talent your theory relies on.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

You know this for sure?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You know this for sure?

Yes - one of the recruiting writers wrote about it yesterday.

I forgot the kid's name, but recruits go to a few people in particular to have them make those edits. One of them made one for Mathis last week, but it was for UConn, not Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Actually, sport, I was. And just stop - neither of us were anything special as a college athlete.

Kid committed to Rutgers because Pikiell did a hell of a job recruiting the family, not because our roster was so loaded that he was scared off. Only on this board is Christian Vital considered such a monumental talent that players go elsewhere in droves to avoid competing with him.

Our coaching staff stinks at recruiting which is why our roster in 2018/2019 looks like scrapple and not the imposing wall of talent your theory relies on.
The Vital thing is one of the more laughably insane things on this board. People are making the poor kid out to be Allen Iverson.

Reaction Score
Yes - one of the recruiting writers wrote about it yesterday.

I forgot the kid's name, but recruits go to a few people in particular to have them make those edits. One of them made one for Mathis last week, but it was for UConn, not Rutgers.
Yep, Ollie and staff thought they had him in the bag.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What does that mean?

An edit is the graphic these kids use on twitter to announce their commitment or their list of schools.

Even schools make them these days.

Reaction Score

Is it why our roster for 17-18 has the potential to be good and maybe even very good?

Reaction Score
This is like the 3rd or 4th recruit in the last few months that we were in the last two or three and lost at the buzzer.

Does anyone have a clear & concise reason for this?

Don't tell me about Wagner or that KO sucks at recruiting, that's a bunch of garbage reasons.

What's going on with Chill? Has he made any positive impacts on the recruiting front?

Reaction Score
Yep, Ollie and staff thought they had him in the bag.

No doubt they haven't closed and that sucks. But they did have him and I am sure they knew they had to recruit his mom too and they did. Is it possible in this case the B10, the location of the school to their proximity as a family and maybe just by a hair they liked Steve better was the winner. If you read between the lines the parents were also recruiting their son who liked UConn and like Wilson also wanted to be a Husky. Close family which I respect, can win some things and in this case, yeah they got beat by the family not by RU and that has to stop. But some of these would seem impossible, UConn wasn;t the only one to lose to this family. And if you think they were out having lunch and dinner sipping drinks with straws and whipped cream on them celebrating then you're just not thinking straight. They didn't get outworked and we know they didn't give up despite knowing they had a very slim lead, they just lost again. A problem in its own but some of you try to make it like they suddenly don't even try playing fat dumb and happy - that's ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The Vital thing is one of the more laughably insane things on this board. People are making the poor kid out to be Allen Iverson.

No one's saying he's Allen Iverson nor maybe even an NBA prospect. But he's a good player and as a junior he'll be better than a freshman Mathis.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Apparently Chill doesn't have a single solid relationship for a top 100 kid. Couldn't even get 2 kids he previously recruited to UW. Or is his current task insurmountable?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is just getting sad. Between the negative vibe around the program and our awful home schedule, I wonder what season ticket totals will look like. I don't think I'd take them for free at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom