Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
...and it's not binding on a court. Sure, the Big Ten/Maryland will push for a protective order to have its contents sealed, but no court is required to keep it under lock and key.
Yep. The whole purpose to the thing was to keep the discussion under wraps until a decision was made. I'm not sure what smoking gun our NC friend thinks is out there.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Maryland's claim that any new amendment to conference bylaws don't take effect until the next fiscal year per the ACC constitution. They withdrew prior to the next fiscal year.

Thats right, I had forgotten all about that part. Its just another piece to this neverending puzzle.

Reaction Score
You know that the NDA doesn't contain their discussion, right? It's just an agreement that limits disclosure. For most part anyone savvy enough to require one would be savvy enough not to put anything sensitive in one.

I guessed that might be the case. But, what I know about legalities would fit under my pinkie nail...lol.

All the NDAs would give the ACC is proof that UMD was communicating with the B1G while still being involved in ACC business. It might also possibly give someone like Tom McMillen proof Loh and Co violated the state of Maryland's open meetings law by signing one.

Reaction Score
Yep. The whole purpose to the thing was to keep the discussion under wraps until a decision was made. I'm not sure what smoking gun our NC friend thinks is out there.

I do not believe theres a smoking gun, just that it might prove Loh violated MD's open meetings law.

What good it would be now is open to debate. Like you said earlier, its likely not of any use.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Maryland's claim that any new amendment to conference bylaws don't take effect until the next fiscal year per the ACC constitution. They withdrew prior to the next fiscal year.

It's not forgotten. Here is the verbiage in the ACC Constitution:

Section X-2. Effective Date.

Any amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws are effective July 1 following enactment, unless provided otherwise

I'll give you three guesses as to how this particular change was "provided", and the first 2 don't count. I'll give you a little hint: not July 1.

Reaction Score
ooh, ooh

Call on me...call on me.

Is it "effective upon signature"?

Reaction Score
ooh, ooh

Call on me...call on me.

Is it "effective upon signature"?

I believe that the FSU fan is right, wonderful, and, correct! For that, your team gets an automatic birth in the 2014 CFB Playoffs, and, your first game will be in Tallahassee. :)

Reaction Score
The three-pod concept is insane - I have to imagine it was invented here.

The biggest roadblock right now to a 16-team ACC is Notre Dame.

They won't go to 15 and I just don't see them adding two more teams without one of them being Notre Dame.

There's just no one to add outside of UConn. (Does anyone actually think Cincinnati will ever have a chance of going to the ACC?)
A lot of people scoffed when LVille was first mentioned as UConn's main competition for a spot.

Reaction Score
A lot of people scoffed when LVille was first mentioned as UConn's main competition for a spot.
That is very true. Uconn has plenty to offer athletically when matched with Louisville. Early on I think many folks did not anticipate that the ACC would take a school rated where Louisville was academically. Obviously, they did.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
That is very true. Uconn has plenty to offer athletically when matched with Louisville. Early on I think many folks did not anticipate that the ACC would take a school rated where Louisville was academically. Obviously, they did.

Exactly they made such a show about academic reputation... which obviously means nothing now. I think it's why everyone outside of FSU and Louisville seemed to assume it would be UConn.

Reaction Score
The overall stupidity in that thread is amazing. However, perception means a lot. UConn has to do a better job getting the message out.

And we can help by countering with facts or at least opinions backed up by quasi-facts in our favor. Honestly, the thread may be BS but at least we're in the hunt so to speak.

Reaction Score
Exactly they made such a show about academic reputation... which obviously means nothing now. I think it's why everyone outside of FSU and Louisville seemed to assume it would be UConn.

I think the ACC has departed completely from Academics as a major factor. But we still are a better candidate than UCF and Cincy. Football is going to surge back. Basketball will stay strong.

I actually have some confidence that Warde will be able to maintain the revenue gap over UCF and Cincy. Just look at where Bob Diaco is putting the emphasis. Ticket Sales. Ticket Sales. Ticket Sales.

That tells me that Warde has given Bob guidance. "Get the program sexy again so that we can fill the Rent and make more money". All the other goodness will follow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the ACC has departed completely from Academics as a major factor. But we still are a better candidate than UCF and Cincy. Football is going to surge back. Basketball will stay strong.

I actually have some confidence that Warde will be able to maintain the revenue gap over UCF and Cincy. Just look at where Bob Diaco is putting the emphasis. Ticket Sales. Ticket Sales. Ticket Sales.

That tells me that Warde has given Bob guidance. "Get the program s e xy again so that we can fill the Rent and make more money". All the other goodness will follow.
..or that Diaco came from a program where this was the norm, or that Diaco is savvy guy who knows what he'll need to do to take the program, and himself to the next level.

Reaction Score
A bit OT but what I like about the BD hire is he may have a bone to pick with BC over hiring Dazzy after he interviewed. Recruiting war's with BC should prove interesting going into next year esp locally!

Reaction Score
A bit OT but what I like about the BD hire is he may have a bone to pick with BC over hiring Dazzy after he interviewed. Recruiting war's with BC should prove interesting going into next year esp locally!
A few things -
1. Winning and showing what your program is and will be attracts recruits when you are coming off 3 dismal seasons in a row,
2. Uconn needs to beef up its OOC schedule as much as possible. Kids want to play and compete against top national programs. Next year, the AAC will lack any program that fits that bill.
3. If Diaco has a thing against BC, he should have it against several other schools too that passed on him over the past several years.
4. Diaco has not coached a single game yet as head coach, anywhere. The road is littered with former head coaches that "get" it and "say" the right things. Even from the most tradition laden programs in the country. Results/wins is the only metric that matters.
5. While this recruiting class will be given a pass, the visitor/commit list save the RB who had an offer from Lville, does not scream building a championship contender. Next year, he needs to have Adazzio like success in recruiting. While stars may not mean everything, they are not 100% irrelevant. BC has 3 four * and 14 3* recruits this year. That is the type of class Uconn needs to have in place 1 year from today.

Reaction Score
A few things -
1. Winning and showing what your program is and will be attracts recruits when you are coming off 3 dismal seasons in a row,
2. Uconn needs to beef up its OOC schedule as much as possible. Kids want to play and compete against top national programs. Next year, the AAC will lack any program that fits that bill.
3. If Diaco has a thing against BC, he should have it against several other schools too that passed on him over the past several years.
4. Diaco has not coached a single game yet as head coach, anywhere. The road is littered with former head coaches that "get" it and "say" the right things. Even from the most tradition laden programs in the country. Results/wins is the only metric that matters.
5. While this recruiting class will be given a pass, the visitor/commit list save the RB who had an offer from Lville, does not scream building a championship contender. Next year, he needs to have Adazzio like success in recruiting. While stars may not mean everything, they are not 100% irrelevant. BC has 3 four and 14 3* recruits this year. That is the type of class Uconn needs to have in place 1 year from today.
I get what your saying but actually interviewing and coming from a bigbrother Catholic school and losing out to Dazzy has to make it a bit "personal" and remember BC had lousy recruiting the last few years under Spaz with all their NE "tradition". If HCBD is known for anything at all its NE recruiting so I would'nt bet against him! I think RU made a mistake keep KF and would have been wise to take a shot with local boy BD. Maybe not getting Narduzzi was a bit of good fortune in the long run?

Reaction Score
I get what your saying but actually interviewing and coming from a bigbrother Catholic school and losing out to Dazzy has to make it a bit "personal" and remember BC had lousy recruiting the last few years under Spaz with all their NE "tradition". If HCBD is known for anything at all its NE recruiting so I would'nt bet against him! I think RU made a mistake keep KF and would have been wise to take a shot with local boy BD. Maybe not getting Narduzzi was a bit of good fortune in the long run?
BD lacked what BC wanted, a guy with HC experience. Their AD said that was key criteria at the time of hiring. BC tried and failed with 2 career coordinators (although Jags did have Wisconsin Whitewater on his resume). I also heard from a very strong CT source that Adazzio came in with a multi hour presentation that outlined his recruiting game plan, his key O and D coordinators, scheme/philosophy, scheduling, practice schedules, academic compliance plan, etc. He blew everyone else out of the water with what he showed and how he communicated. He set the standard that no one else met. I also heard that BD did that with Uconn this year (well prepared, outline of what and who he wanted including salary requirements), so maybe he learned something along the way. Diaco should not need a chip on his shoulder. He should just need to execute his vision as quickly as possible. To me, that means 1 year from today, Uconn should have a top 40 recruiting class and a winning record.

Reaction Score
BD lacked what BC wanted, a guy with HC experience. Their AD said that was key criteria at the time of hiring. BC tried and failed with 2 career coordinators (although Jags did have Wisconsin Whitewater on his resume). I also heard from a very strong CT source that Adazzio came in with a multi hour presentation that outlined his recruiting game plan, his key O and D coordinators, scheme/philosophy, scheduling, practice schedules, academic compliance plan, etc. He blew everyone else out of the water with what he showed and how he communicated. He set the standard that no one else met. I also heard that BD did that with Uconn this year (well prepared, outline of what and who he wanted including salary requirements), so maybe he learned something along the way. Diaco should not need a chip on his shoulder. He should just need to execute his vision as quickly as possible. To me, that means 1 year from today, Uconn should have a top 40 recruiting class and a winning record.
Good info...I agree and believe HCBD will deliver at minimum a top 40+ class next year and improve gradually with the wins. Before RU hired KF they had Dazzy in for an interview and Tyler Phommachanh demanded Dazzy keep KF on staff to hold the 1 great(top23?) class they had managed until that point but to Dazzys credit he held firm. Big mistake by Tyler Phommachanh because they would'nt have lost a beat with him(Dazzy)IMO. Instead one recruiting class may set them back 3 years in progress?

Reaction Score
This case will play out somewhere other than a court room. We'll never know all the facts. But since I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, all i can say is that like every other exit from a conference, they will negotiate quietly. Trying to enforce an exit fee that is multiples above that of other conferences would not be where I would want to start negotiating from. You simply can't force a business to remain part of an organization against its will or at an exorbitant penalty.

Reaction Score
The thing is...that Maryland did not offer to pay the $20 million that was the previous penalty (and, ironically, the one that was formulated by their own Dr. Loh).

Maryland was broke. Maryland wanted to slink out and whisper slyly..."I'd rather owe it to you then beat you out of it".

The ACC started withholding their monies immediately. They knew the score. Maryland immediately started whining. The ACC should have the $20 million by the time that Maryland leaves.

It will eventually be settled, but the example will be that a team won't be sent off with a bouquet and a hearty "Bon Voyage".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing is...that Maryland did not offer to pay the $20 million that was the previous penalty (and, ironically, the one that was formulated by their own Dr. Loh).

Maryland was broke. Maryland wanted to slink out and whisper slyly..."I'd rather owe it to you then beat you out of it".

The ACC started withholding their monies immediately. They knew the score. Maryland immediately started whining. The ACC should have the $20 million by the time that Maryland leaves.

It will eventually be settled, but the example will be that a team won't be sent off with a bouquet and a hearty "Bon Voyage".

This cannot be stressed enough. If they were expecting a 'lets all be happy' going away party, they totally read Swofford wrong.

Loh was the first to suggest an exit fee. But, when the vote to raise it went against him, he decided that UMD was not going to pay it at all. Swofford was not going to allow the Terps to just walk away from an obligation like that. He has not always made the best moves for the league, but, I agree 100 percent with him here.

Reaction Score
This cannot be stressed enough. If they were expecting a 'lets all be happy' going away party, they totally read Swofford wrong.

Loh was the first to suggest an exit fee. But, when the vote to raise it went against him, he decided that UMD was not going to pay it at all. Swofford was not going to allow the Terps to just walk away from an obligation like that. He has not always made the best moves for the league, but, I agree 100 percent with him here.

Could you please provide a source -- any source -- that indicates President Loh or any Maryland official sought (or planned to seek) a no-cost ACC exit for UMD? I'm really excited to see the links you can provide to support your claim.

Loh is a lawyer. I find it really hard to believe that he or a designee thought for one second that the Terps would be in the Big Ten without having paid some sort of fee to leave the ACC. And he certainly didn't "decide that UMD was not going to pay it at all." That's a preposterous claim -- even by message board standards.

Loh decided to do what EVERY high-major college president has done when its university has switched conferences: He either paid the exit fee or challenged it and let the courts settle the matter. In this instance, the courts will decide the final amount, Maryland will pay (or perhaps be owed money by the ACC), and life will go on for Maryland and the ACC.

I'm really not sure why a small but vocal contingent of ACC fans on this board spend so much of their time dogging Maryland, a school they claim to not care about losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom