Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Outcoached, but also thinking about all the prayer 3's that dropped for MU :( that was the difference
Only one prayer. About eight or so (seemed like 20 watching live) where due to overplaying the ball we left a shooter wide open.

Reaction Score
We wouldn’t have had to worry about that be we had Marquette on their heels and had the momentum. We have had this conversation the entire season about Hurley and his choose of not playing Clingan
We have ZERO idea what would have happened had D.C. stayed in. We do have an idea of what happened poorly the last two minutes with the players who were in.

You can speculate all you want but the players on the court at the end didn't execute.

Reaction Score
Outcoached, but also thinking about all the prayer 3's that dropped for MU :( that was the difference
How are we outcoached? They made 4 more 3’s than we did. We had open looksthat did not go down. Hawkins had 5 points, that’s on coach? That’s his defender doing a good job on him. Newton 2-10? That’s on Hurley right? Leaving their 3 point shooters open? That’s Hurley? Cmon.

Reaction Score
i hope it was just an artifact of a junk play and they didn’t actually scheme up the final shot for Hawkins after the night he had

Reaction Score
We needed two points in the last four minutes and no one could figure out how to get them.

Great. Just great.

I assume Danny can use that time out next week, right? Do they carry over? Can we redeem it for cash?
Been saying it all season, we need to get the lead and extend it for us to win big games. If the game comes down to the last couple minutes and it's a one possession type game we lose. It's been like this for years.

Reaction Score
Tough loss. Can’t blame the refs, I thought they called it both ways. They were a little better tonight.
Yes blame HURLEY
Why take out Clingan
He brought them back from 9 down
Is Hurley afraid to hurt Sonogos feelings??

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
No point guard, no penetration, no set up for Hawkins (who is incapable of creating his own shot)………..no win.

Prediction: We don’t survive to the Sweet Sixteen.
I've seen numerous times, epecially in the latter part of the season where Hawkins DID create his own shot. Marquette's defense was very tight on him, so this is when other guys need to step up.

Reaction Score
It's just you. He played his heart out. I think he was frazzled by the end at NEVER getting a call. He walked away from a huddle because I think he was finally going to blow his stack,
It very well may be. Just looked that way a bit. The no calls were bogus a lot too though.

Reaction Score
It also gives you the chance to draw up a play. And Marquette’s defense was already set up, so that doesn’t matter here.
Especially because we don't have anyone besides Hawkins that can just get a bucket. With him as cold as he was, there was no excuse to not call a timeout and draw something up.

Reaction Score
Exactly, they ran out the clock forcing the ball to the guy who was shooting bricks all night. Why? WHy was Newton benched yesterday? I wonder if the way that play progressed if Newton was doing what he was told and didn’t want to take the last shot. Either that he just freaked?

Reaction Score
I don’t mind losing by 2 to a good team. I mind having 20 straight horrible possessions.

If we wanted someone to dribble the shot clock down to 5 every possession we should have just kept Gaffney.
Exactly, we missed shots on our last couple possessions, but Newton seemed unable to get the offense started, and the shots had to be thrown up from bad positions.

Reaction Score
Been saying it all season, we need to get the lead and extend it for us to win big games. If the game comes down to the last couple minutes and it's a one possession type game we lose. It's been like this for years.
Hurley can’t coach

Reaction Score
Hawk: a no-show. Marquette totally took him out of the game.

Hurley: I can understand Hurley wanting to see if UConn had a spacing advantage when Newton pushed the ball upcourt, but it was obvious that they did not, so calling a TO was necessary to set up a good final shot.
Hawk tried to get free the whole night but he was draped. He should have gone to the rim, that I fault him for.

Reaction Score
If our players outside of Clingan hit free throws at a normal rate we win. There were a number of additional things we could have done to make it a win.
Yes but the guy that is supposedly one of the best shooters in the country, averages 17ppg cannot have a performance like this. And in the beginning when he wasn’t hitting you could tell he didn’t have the right mentality. He also is pretty much only a 3 point shooter, if he learned how to use a head fake, he’d help himself out a lot. Just not nearly good enough from your star.

Reaction Score
We're lacking in mental fortitude. 2 points. We could've had those 2 points at the free throw line, could've been the 2 points that Newton and Sanogo both gave up on, could've been any one of the several embarrassing defensive assignments. We were right there but lost our focus in the moment.

Reaction Score
Horrendous execution down the stretch again, it's a terrible pattern ever since Hurley took over. No points our last 5 possessions and we weren't even close on them. Can't have total no shows from Hawkins and Jackson like that.

Congrats to Marquette, they earned it.
Joey missed 2 wide open 3's. That ain't execution. I would have liked a TO at the end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom