Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sanogo has his guy sealed perfectly on the last possession if Newton had looked in

Reaction Score
I've seen numerous times, epecially in the latter part of the season where Hawkins DID create his own shot. Marquette's defense was very tight on him, so this is when other guys need to step up.
When the 3 is not going down he needs to figure out other ways to score. He may have done that in a few games but in a big game like tonight he MUST figure it out and tonight he didn’t.

Reaction Score
And one of those was a way off target bank. At that point you think that he might use that fortune to roll to a huge night. Or it was a sign of things to come. Off night, bad timing for it.
I looked at Hawkins final stats and saw he hit a 3. For like 10 minutes I was trying to remember when it happened. And now that I see he banked it I remember it all too well as the entire bar laughed at the horrid shot.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think they're really good. Sure, they could lose in the second round but they won our league by 2 games (Big East is really good) and they're playing in the finals of the Big East tournament. They played Purdue tight and they beat Baylor by 30. I don't get your point about Kolek at all, he proved he's a great point guard this season and his shooting numbers are awesome for a guard.
On Kolek, yes he's impressive. I just can't believe the low numbers in the A-10 and the jump on the move to the BE. Something is weird there.

Not buying the BE though.

Reaction Score
What constitutes a low floor?

UConn has lost to a top 5 or 6 team by 2 points.

If anything, UConn has a high floor but a fluctuating ceiling. A low floor is like saying you expect them to struggle in the first round. This UConn team shouldn't be upset in the first round and should make it to the sweet sixteen. After that, it's a toss up. That's a high floor. There is also enough of a possibility of UConn winning it all to say the ceiling is high, but they could also be bounced in the sweet sixteen.

Last year's team had a low floor and a mid-tier ceiling once Hawkins got injured, because that killed their depth and they were too flawed in terms of personnel.

I will be upset if and only if they don't at least make the sweet sixteen (unless the seeding is much worse than expected).

I said after the first Marquette game they were the most impressive BE team I had seen UConn play, I stand by that. They beat UConn twice without getting some absurd foul disparity. No other team can say that. They have flaws but there are no great teams this year in college ball. Lots of pundits are underrating Marquette, even now.

They play good enough defense, and play great offense. They have some center issues but make up for that by attacking the paint with Kolek.

UConn is also the only team that beat them by more than 5 points all year.
The high floor low ceiling i mentioned was not referr to this team. I was responding to another post about AJax and how good he is whe his game is on but how bad he can be when he is off

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
He doesn't look like he'll be a big time NBA player to me. He could possibly become one if he develops but he has some serious flaws with his physical profile and game right now. NBA can be an unforgiving place when you have a lot of things to figure out.
He needs to get stronger and improve his handle

Reaction Score
Hurley got out-coached tonight. Makes a smart move to go to the zone but then stays in it too long- once Kolek, Joplin, & Ighuodara get 4 fouls around the 7 minute mark there was zero reason to play zone- wound up leaving guys for wide open threes. The other item- Alleyne should’ve been on the court for the last couple of minutes- better defender than Joey C & once he missed the first wide open 3- easy decision. Joey C. Missed three wide open treys in the last two minutes. Tough gritty win by Marquette- Smart continues to be a brilliant in game coach- Hurley hopefully improves in this area.
Yeah Hurley should have taken Joey C out after the first miss LOL. HE’s a 40% three point shooter and we got him 2 more open threes. He just missed them.

Hurley was not outcoached tonight. Change to zone after atrocious defensive start to 2nd half to cover for lack of inside defense from AS was a great move. After the change Marquette only scored 14 points in the last 15 minutes of the half. We just didn’t make enough shots and lost by 2. Last play was poorly executed but if we made open shots (good execution) the previous 2 times we wouldn’t have had to worry about the last 10 seconds.

Reaction Score
Was he really? Maybe on the last play. Otherwise, this is on execution under pressure. Hawkins failed. Jackson took himself out. Didn't hit threes. Didn't hit FTs.

Two more FTs and we're in OT. Instead shot 60%.
Exactly

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to the point of a lot of the posts on here.

Is the goal to get most of the Boneyard to say "yes, we should move on from Hurley"? If this is the case it is a complete waste of time and effort as the Boneyard's opinion won't carry any weight with the decision makers.

Is it to convince those decision makers (who will not value the Boneyard's opinion) to replace Hurley? If it is, this is an absolute waste of time as they won't consider it for a few years (unless Hurley starts murdering puppies or stealing from the homeless).

I get the frustration but some on here need to balance this with other important things in their life.

Reaction Score
Newton was, is and always will be an AAC guard from ECU....
So his 2 triple doubles this year (a first for UConn) meant nothing? Good thing he didn’t need to break records.

Reaction Score
Yeah Hurley should have taken Joey C out after the first miss LOL. HE’s a 40% three point shooter and we got him 2 more open threes. He just missed them.

Hurley was not outcoached tonight. Change to zone after atrocious defensive start to 2nd half to cover for lack of inside defense from AS was a great move. After the change Marquette only scored 14 points in the last 15 minutes of the half. We just didn’t make enough shots and lost by 2. Last play was poorly executed but if we made open shots (good execution) the previous 2 times we wouldn’t have had to worry about the last 10 seconds.
Hurley is always outcoached. It’s a given

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to the point of a lot of the posts on here.

Is the goal to get most of the Boneyard to say "yes, we should move on from Hurley"? If this is the case it is a complete waste of time and effort as the Boneyard's opinion won't carry any weight with the decision makers.

Is it to convince those decision makers (who will not value the Boneyard's opinion) to replace Hurley? If it is, this is an absolute waste of time as they won't consider it for a few years (unless Hurley starts murdering puppies or stealing from the homeless).

I get the frustration but some on here need to balance this with other important things in their life.
Duh it's a message board

Reaction Score
I’m surprised your view is so polarized after this one game. I don’t think he is either hyped or overrated. He had a off game.

Take a look at last few games, he has a decent handle, a mid range game, and can get to the rim with either hand or a dunk.

IIRC, you had high praise for him after he made a couple NBA level moves in one game.
He's shown plenty of flashes of brilliant NBA shot making on threes which is why he's projected as a first rounder this year but misses a lot of open ones, I'm probably more comfortable with Karaban shooting open threes. He's physically weak and he doesn't have anywhere near NBA handles or finishing ability. Pretty much all his shotmaking is catch and shoot threes which is a great skill to have but he never seems to put it on the floor to create his own threes which is also an important NBA skillset for a shooter. He's shown he has a nice pull up midrange game but he does it too infrequently. He turned a couple down tonight.

He doesn't look ready to me and you can get buried in the NBA when you're not ready but guys leave now when generational money is offered to you, I get it.

Reaction Score

Change to zone left a lot of open 3s. Other that trying something you’ve avoided all year long, why?

Reaction Score

It was 56-46 with something like 13 mins left (I could be way off with the timing) but they only scored 14 more points the rest of the game. As you said , the zone worked very well, but Marquette also missed some very open 3s. That is something to build off of, but our end of game execution needs a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom