Marquette BET Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette BET Postgame Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a 10 day break between tomorrow’s game and the start of the Big Dance. No one uses that 10 day period better than Geno and his staff when it comes to preparing their team.
When are the seeding selections made?

Reaction Score
UCONN had a good game today. 1st half was pretty near fantastic. Like others I'm convinced Marquette took a more physical approach in the 2nd half and that had an impact. Likewise, Geno working on different mixes of players to see how things work. Yes, shooting was off a bit...that can be fixed... the Defense was solid all day, and that's what wins games!

To Me, BOTTOM LINE: A WIN is a WIN... and we had a much better day than another highly rated team. :cool::D;);)
Win and Move On! This time of year that's the way every Team has to look at it!

Reaction Score
Massey has UCONN as an 18 point favorite vs. both Villanova & Seton Hall. Not sure if this will match Vegas odds.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Massey has UCONN as an 18 point favorite vs. both Villanova & Seton Hall. Not sure if this will match Vegas odds.
It won't, but then again Massey doesn't have the house money on his points.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's moved to Sunday because of the play in games this year in the Women's tournament.

Reaction Score
UCONN had a good game today. 1st half was pretty near fantastic. Like others I'm convinced Marquette took a more physical approach in the 2nd half and that had an impact. Likewise, Geno working on different mixes of players to see how things work. Yes, shooting was off a bit...that can be fixed... the Defense was solid all day, and that's what wins games!

To Me, BOTTOM LINE: A WIN is a WIN... and we had a much better day than another highly rated team. :cool::D;);)
Win and Move On! This time of year that's the way every Team has to look at it!
AND... Oh By The Way... there is a Conference Tournament Final going on out west involving another highly ranked team that was only up by 3 at the Half...and is in a fight in the third quarter.

Let's give our Huskies a break... they won and won easily.

Reaction Score
A fine assessment. But it was hard to swallow that, today, Marquette had about 5 kids who were fare more reliable shooting the three than AZZI FUDD. There will come a time ( soon ) when she has to be the player we thought she was. I do agree she is a fine basketball player and an excellent defender. But draining open looks is a key element of what makes her above and beyond " special."

Paige struggled today and it is obvious ( to me ) that she is doing far more already than her healing processes is ready for. She is contributing, but I am not sure how far we should expect her to progress. And most of us, I think, are wishing that she will get "all the back" as the days progress. Personally, I don't think there are enough days between now and the finals of the NCAA for that to happen.

The team has show that it can do a lot on their own. But unless AZZI (and Caroline) play "lights out" it isn't going to be enough. And they aren't showing it yet.

The fact that UCONN's defense is so good...and so relentless....gives them a shot. Being able to start 5 and bring on 4...all supremely talented.... is more than most opponents can handle. And if we can hit threes on top of that defense, we can beat anyone. Kentucky beat SC today because they hit threes. But we aren't going to beat SC ( or a lot of teams ) if Muhl and Dorka are our best long range shooters.
Since Kentucky and SC made the same amount of 3’s, K 6-14, SC 6-15 and SC made 2 more foul shots than Kentucky; I would offer Kentucky won because they made 2 more 2’s than SC on 8 less attempts, 18-43 vs. 16-51. The idea is to score more points than your opponent, how doesn’t matter.
And with all due respect, for someone who has lived the game for almost 6 decades, I always wonder how people know what is or “isn’t going to be enough“ before the games are even played.
Uconn plays great defense and has multiple offensive weapons, frankly, virtually all of them inconsistent to some degree but IMO, the whole on offense is greater than the sum of the parts.
I will also make a point about Fudd that impressed the heck out of me; when Marquette made their little run to start the 2nd half and Uconn was on its heels a bit, she hunted GOOD shots about 3 or 4 possessions in a row. She didn’t shy away because she wasn’t shooting well and didn’t gun any shot, but took it upon herself to get quality looks. I think she missed two, made one and got fouled on another but that attitude in a shooter can give a team the same intangible jump on offense Muhl gives on defense. No fear, no hesitation, within the flow, but just “give me the ball we need a good shot“ offense; you don’t want that one on one as a steady diet but there are times in a game it is irreplaceable. I thought that was one of them.

Reaction Score
What is it with the BY? First, we have JordyG suggesting that Paige looks like she's hurting. Now Caroline is moving gingerly? They're both fine. Nothing to see here.
I think Paige just may not be in condition yet. Now she did clearly avoid contact today. She was not willing to take it to the rack and get fouled.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Paige just may not be in condition yet. Now she did clearly avoid contact today. She was not willing to take it to the rack and get fouled.
Avoiding contact perhaps. But that’s hardly indicative that she’s hurting, which was the claim that was made.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching Christyn and Evina driving to the basket, but who told Nika she could do that? Maybe she should have waited for the NCAA; now people will try to stop her.

I saw Evina doing some nice things on defense. On one play, she stepped toward a player in an unexpected way and caused that player to throw the ball to a UCONN player. I see her doing many little things that rattle the opposing players, causing turnovers. And I like to see her smiling and yelling more.

Reaction Score
If the selection committee had foresight & still refuses to have UCONN in Bridgeport, they would place UCONN as the #2 seed in Wichita. There would be a rematch vs. Iowa & Caitlin Clark. Plus, there could also be a rivalry game vs. #1seed Louisville or Baylor.
Nah. Wichita will likely be the #4 and #5 overall — currently Lou and Bay.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I think the women are selected on Monday with the men's selection on Sunday.
That used to be the case, but this year they have changed it to Sunday. Equity issue no doubt.

Reaction Score
No, Paige was fine, and moving as well as she has since her return. I saw absolutely no indication of her hurting and I think she got right around the 15-20 mpg that she was supposed to get.
Dude, one of my rare disagrees. Similar to other comments, Paige to me was not as fluid as in past games.

Reaction Score
This is just the type of season that will keep us guessing about this team till the very end. Amazing talent and deeper than any team. But how far will Paige progress? Maybe she isn’t ready to play 2/3 games in as many days regardless of the limited minutes. She struggled today and didn’t look too happy about it. She is the best player in the land. You can almost feel her frustration.

What kind of Tourney performance do we get from our freshman, Azzi and CD? They are cold now but they are both snipers. So, we just need to hope they get their groove back.

It looks like our seniors may be the reason we cut down the nets.
CW continues her unstoppable play. EW continues to come off the bench, calm things down and hit big shots when the opponent gets on a roll. Liv limiting opponents scoring in the paint.

Dorka and Nika are playing their best ball now. They need bring that high level into the Tourney.

So, many questions but because of everything that has happened this season, I have never rooted harder for a UCONN team. These players have earned that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom