Marquette BET Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette BET Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Azzi needs to make shots.
Marquette has mastered the art of flopping. Wonder who taught them that?
At one point in the 2nd half Marquette put a player in whose purpose was not to play basketball. Just sayin'

Intensity dropped a bit in the 2nd half but win and advance.
Agreed re Marquette and flopping... as to who might have taught them, they probably have been watching Indiana. The Hoosiers should be embarrassed by the number of times they hit the deck without even getting touched, including during today's Big Ten final vs. Iowa.

Reaction Score
Everyone wants it to be easy all the time. It’s unthinkable that any team would dare compete with us and not simply roll over.
I was at the game, and I was impressed with Marquette’s defense. We only scored 71, and we had to work for every single point. If there was a basket in transition, I must have missed it. Everyone missed a couple of bunnies, but boy was I impressed with Aaliyah on the boards! I also think Dorka brings so much to this team, whether it’s battling under the boards, dropping a well-timed basket, or disrupting the lane. Seeing them play live, I could much better appreciate Evina’s impact on the team. Her back to back treys sealed the deal. When you play defense the way we have been lately, you don’t need a huge output on offense. I thought the energy was a little off, but a 20-point margin over a worthy opponent? I’ll take it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t reply to this sight very often, but Paige IMHO is healthy, but remember coming off surgery and inactivity over 19 games, has a strange effect on a player. The other factor she’s never come off the bench,I would say she will be 80% of the player she was until next year. In the meantime everybody relax and enjoy the ride!!!!
I generally agree with your post, but I wouldn’t count Paige out to return to full effectiveness this season. She will have 10 days to work on her game and confidence prior to the start of the Big Dance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let me be absolutely clear. Unless we see that a player is injured during a game, or we are told either by Geno or the player themselves that they are hurting or injured, it is irresponsible and unwarranted to speculate, based solely on some feeling because the player in question didn’t have a particularly good game.
In your opinion, not according to any rule here

Reaction Score
Between the G'town and today's games the starter/sub pattern has settled on CW, ONO, AE, Azzi and Nika starting and playing the first Q, with Paige, Dorka, EW and Caroline subbing in as a unit. As the game goes on there is some mixing and matching of the 2 units.

Minutes played by the players has been pretty consistent over the 2 games:

CW - 29 and 27 = 56 total minutes
Azzi - 25 and 28 = 53
AE - 25 and 30 = 45
ONO - 20 and 22 = 42
Nika - 20 and 22 = 42

EW - 21 and 19 = 40
CD - 22 and 15 = 37
Paige - 18 and 18 = 36
Dorka - 16 and 19 = 35

The only significant (but not huge) difference between G'town and today was CD lost 7 minutes and AE gained five. At some point here Paige's minutes will get into the 28 to 30 minute range; I'd guess those extra minutes will come from all the other guards and forewards, with no one or two players taking a big hit in minutes.

I don't have any real complaints about today's win. I'd rather Caroline looked like she did pre-injury; it may be lingering affects of being out, or having to adjust to not being a first or second option on offense, or not getting the ball when where she need it or whatever. Hopefully she'll sort out how to best play on this full roster team. Offense that is; the rest of her game is fine.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Between the G'town and today's games the starter/sub pattern has settled on CW, ONO, AE, Azzi and Nika starting and playing the first Q, with Paige, Dorka, EW and Caroline subbing in as a unit. As the game goes on there is some mixing and matching of the 2 units.

Minutes played by the players has been pretty consistent over the 2 games:

CW - 29 and 27 = 56 total minutes
Azzi - 25 and 28 = 53
AE - 25 and 30 = 45
ONO - 20 and 22 = 42
Nika - 20 and 22 = 42

EW - 21 and 19 = 40
CD - 22 and 15 = 37
Paige - 18 and 18 = 36
Dorka - 16 and 19 = 35

The only significant (but not huge) difference between G'town and today was CD lost 7 minutes and AE gained five. At some point here Paige's minutes will get into the 28 to 30 minute range; I'd guess those extra minutes will come from all the other guards and forewards, with no one or two players taking a big hit in minutes.

I don't have any real complaints about today's win. I'd rather Caroline looked like she did pre-injury; it may be lingering affects of being out, or having to adjust to not being a first or second option on offense, or not getting the ball when where she need it or whatever. Hopefully she'll sort out how to best play on this full roster team. Offense that is; the rest of her game is fine.
Some players are really good coming off the bench and figuring out their roles from game to game, Evina & Dorka for instance. I think Caroline is not as comfortable coming off the bench as she was when she started.

Reaction Score
A fine assessment. But it was hard to swallow that, today, Marquette had about 5 kids who were fare more reliable shooting the three than AZZI FUDD. There will come a time ( soon ) when she has to be the player we thought she was. I do agree she is a fine basketball player and an excellent defender. But draining open looks is a key element of what makes her above and beyond " special."

Paige struggled today and it is obvious ( to me ) that she is doing far more already than her healing processes is ready for. She is contributing, but I am not sure how far we should expect her to progress. And most of us, I think, are wishing that she will get "all the back" as the days progress. Personally, I don't think there are enough days between now and the finals of the NCAA for that to happen.

The team has show that it can do a lot on their own. But unless AZZI (and Caroline) play "lights out" it isn't going to be enough. And they aren't showing it yet.

The fact that UCONN's defense is so good...and so relentless....gives them a shot. Being able to start 5 and bring on 4...all supremely talented.... is more than most opponents can handle. And if we can hit threes on top of that defense, we can beat anyone. Kentucky beat SC today because they hit threes. But we aren't going to beat SC ( or a lot of teams ) if Muhl and Dorka are our best long range shooters.
I think I remember a game when D was a freshman and went 1-9 against ND. I believe we lost the game. But she turned out ok, didn’t she? Azzi will be fine. Shooters shoot, and sometimes they’re off. But in the end she’ll do what she does best.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If you want to talk about minutes played in today's game against Marquette UConn's minutes was as follows:

Starters: Aaliyah 30 min, Azzi 28 min, Christyn 27 min, Liv and Nika both 22 min.
Bench: Dorka and Evina 19 min, Paige 18 min, and Caroline 15 min

Villanova's minutes played in today's game against Seton Hall were as follows:

Starters: Siegrest 39 min, Garzen and Herlihy 38 min, Olsen 35 min, and Mullin 30 min
Bench: Runyan 12 min and Orihel 8 min

When you add the minutes that Villanova played against St. John's the day before all of the starters had between 60 to 74 minutes played over the past two days, while the two main off the bench players had between 22 and 39 minutes. UConn starters had between 42 and 56 min and the bench between 35 and 40 minutes.

When it's all said and done I don't think it's going to be UConn that gets the tired legs in tomorrow's championship game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think I remember a game when D was a freshman and went 1-9 against ND. I believe we lost the game. But she turned out ok, didn’t she? Azzi will be fine. Shooters shoot, and sometimes they’re off. But in the end she’ll do what she does best.
In the national semifinals, DT had probably the worst game of her entire basketball career as UConn lost. She followed that up with 3 national championships.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Some people complain that UConn did not play well the entire game. Whenever Marquette made a run, UConn ran the lead to 27 or 28 points. That is when the intensity level dropped. The game was well in hand. Why keep pushing when they have to play for the BE Championship tomorrow? After the first quarter, the outcome was not in doubt.

Reaction Score
Some players are really good coming off the bench and figuring out their roles from game to game, Evina & Dorka for instance. I think Caroline is not as comfortable coming off the bench as she was when she started.
You could be right OD. What she has looked like of late as far as offense goes is a freshman. Which, of course, she is. She has the classic freshman syndrome - when in doubt, pass first and shoot last. Given the great options she has to pass to it's understandable. When she was forced to start because of injuries and it became apparent she could score, she was freed from having to defer to teammates and that lead her to get into take charge mode. That isn't her role now. She just needs to get some of her swagger back and allow her instincts to guide her game. She is going to be ok.

Reaction Score
That’s it! It’s Paige being frustrated because she’s not fitting in yet. It’s this double-edged sword because we have to let her get confidence in her body first. I’m getting impatient. She’s the one that’s going to clean this up. Everyone has made strides without her, but she’s the best player. When will she take the lead. The Iditarod started in Alaska today: when is she going to take her spot as “the lead dog”. Imagine the lead dog trying to figure things out as a middle of the pack dog.
I'd start Paige and let her get a feel for the game. It's not unusual for her to feel things out before she does anything. I'd give her 30 minutes and see what happens unless she really has a bad day. Or if it is still a physical issue with cutting and such maybe give her a a day off now but I think she probably needs more PT for a while.

Reaction Score
Take a look at some of her games from last year and look at today's game, then tell me the same. Not only her close outs, but cutting in coverage. Her off ball pace in transition was not so good as well.
my guess is mentally worry her knee,may be need more games to overcome

Reaction Score
UConn’s defense is an absolute machine right now.
No attack @oldude I liked your post but even Geno stated post game it tapers off. Must sustain the entire game to get the ring. Need the machine for four quarters. Having said that I do realize it is not a reasonable expectation. ;)
Anyone seen Liv?
Yes she was with the team on FS1 today and had a decent game, you must not get that channel? :confused:
I feel like the tempo in our half court offense to too fast. The movement is great. Lots of cutting, some good penetration, drives to the hoop and dishes. To me it’s like a band that’s just playing a little quick. Shooter tempos are too quick, like Azzi’s. Sometimes they miss a good look because they’re in too big of a hurry.
I think back to the undefeated Indiana team in the 70’s. Their offense was a meat grinder. I wonder if this team could be like that.
@MD#12Fan No attack but you seem to be confused. You think the offensive tempo is too fast yet like lots of cutting and good penetration and drives to the hoop and dishes. Do you realize today's type of execution cannot result in a positive out come at a walk through pace? The defensive pressure has to be eluded.
Again no personal attack just a difference of opinion. The game both men and women is played at a exponentially more rapid pace. The days of offensive meat grinders are gone with the Dean Smith four corners offense and the implantation of the shot clock.
In today's game he who hesitates is lost. That or double and possibly triple teamed. :)

*Loved seeing Christyn showing her toughness and going to the hoop two games in row.
*Same for Nika's confidence in her game all around.
*Evina comes of the bench like she has already played 10 minutes.
*Aaliyah getting back to her former self.
*Olivia, takes a licking and keeps on ticking with out loosing her cool.
*Azzi had a bad shooting night but her feet and defense are amazing for a freshman at this level.
*Paige still getting acclimated to new lineup configurations and coming of the bench just fine. Had a mid-range jumper that had to have a mid air fade to avoid defender and nothing but net.
*Caroline did not have her best game but with only 15 minutes of PT she had the play of the game. Her run down to save a court length break away pass, stay in bounds and flip a no look to Dorka who trailed the play with perfect hustle for the layup was a beauty. It was ESPN next day top 10 material.
*Juhasz another good game. My only thoughts on her are one more year, one more year, one more year. ;)

Reaction Score
No attack @oldude I liked your post but even Geno stated post game it tapers off. Must sustain the entire game to get the ring. Need the machine for four quarters. Having said that I do realize it is not a reasonable expectation. ;)

Yes she was with the team on FS1 today and had a decent game, you must not get that channel? :confused:

@MD#12Fan No attack but you seem to be confused. You think the offensive tempo is too fast yet like lots of cutting and good penetration and drives to the hoop and dishes. Do you realize today's type of execution cannot result in a positive out come at a walk through pace? The defensive pressure has to be eluded.
Again no personal attack just a difference of opinion. The game both men and women is played at a exponentially more rapid pace. The days of offensive meat grinders are gone with the Dean Smith four corners offense and the implantation of the shot clock.
In today's game he who hesitates is lost. That or double and possibly triple teamed. :)

*Loved seeing Christyn showing her toughness and going to the hoop two games in row.
*Same for Nika's confidence in her game all around.
*Evina comes of the bench like she has already played 10 minutes.
*Aaliyah getting back to her former self.
*Olivia, takes a licking and keeps on ticking with out loosing her cool.
*Azzi had a bad shooting night but her feet and defense are amazing for a freshman at this level.
*Paige still getting acclimated to new lineup configurations and coming of the bench just fine. Had a mid-range jumper that had to have a mid air fade to avoid defender and nothing but net.
*Caroline did not have her best game but with only 15 minutes of PT she had the play of the game. Her run down to save a court length break away pass, stay in bounds and flip a no look to Dorka who trailed the play with perfect hustle for the layup was a beauty. It was ESPN next day top 10 material.
*Juhasz another good game. My only thoughts on her are one more year, one more year, one more year. ;)
Good points! My point is nuanced. That‘s why I tried to compare it to a music beat. It might be just a count. To continue the analogy, people are playing on top of each other. Ever wonder why professional musicians need a conductor (maestro) in an orchestra. I argue that that count doesn’t put the offensive player in jeopardy, what it does is allow things to materialize and shooters are able to shoot in rhythm. The volume is on 10, just ease off a tad to 9.
‘Really?? A comparison between a great college basketball team and a stall strategy. Ugh. Come on man, you got more game than that!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
From my perspective at the game, the first half was a clinic on both our offense and our defense. CW, Aaliyah and Dorka were great. Evina came in and provided key shots,
Drives to the basket and now doesn’t have to shoulder the load of point guard but doing enough of everything else.

So I would also add as Geno stated in the presser Paige and Azzi struggles with 2-13 yet we still won by 20 due to everyone else taking what is given.

Lastly, yes I agree Liv did not have a great game. In the games point +/- stat had Liv at minus 2 in a game we won by 20. Nika was next lowest at plus 3. By comparison Dorka was a Plus 22 and CW was plus 20. Everyone else was plus 11 or more. That said, as Nan said, she did have 8 pts, 7 reb and 2 assists still pretty good.

Reaction Score
my guess is mentally worry her knee,may be need more games to overcome
Think how long it took for Evina to be totally comfortable with her recovery. Paige is about a year early. I am amazed and worried at the same time. It is obvious that Paige is playing about 60% of peak. And rightly so. Her passion is so great it is overwhelming reason. After tomorrow, there is more recovery time. But she needs months not a week. Keep our fingers crossed. But as far as they do go this season, it will be due to the effort and contribution of nine players. Paige will help. Perhaps more spiritually than physically. They love having her on board, and she can do some things well, even as she is. But she can't do it all. Not yet. Good luck.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
From my perspective at the game, the first half was a clinic on both our offense and our defense. CW, Aaliyah and Dorka were great. Evina came in and provided key shots,
Drives to the basket and now doesn’t have to shoulder the load of point guard but doing enough of everything else.

So I would also add as Geno stated in the presser Paige and Azzi struggles with 2-13 yet we still won by 20 due to everyone else taking what is given.

Lastly, yes I agree Liv did not have a great game. In the games point +/- stat had Liv at minus 2 in a game we won by 20. Nika was next lowest at plus 3. By comparison Dorka was a Plus 22 and CW was plus 20. Everyone else was plus 11 or more. That said, as Nan said, she did have 8 pts, 7 reb and 2 assists still pretty good.
Considering that Liv was being mugged most of the game by the Marquette players I think she did pretty good. I hope she is able to get her body iced up some after the game.

Reaction Score
Avoiding contact perhaps. But that’s hardly indicative that she’s hurting, which was the claim that was made.
Yeah. I don't buy the hurting either. I think she is just tentative when it comes to taking contact. Totally understandable after being injured like that.

Reaction Score
If Nika can continue her offensive progress, it will add a whole new dimension to this team! Very exciting to see her driving to the basket today!
She drove to the basket twice, both times when the defense failed to stop the ball. I prefer that to driving into traffic and looking to dish. Offensively, she is a very careful player who doesn’t take risks; a lot to be said for that. Defensively, she is the opposite; a lot to be said for that as well.

Reaction Score
I generally agree with your post, but I wouldn’t count Paige out to return to full effectiveness this season. She will have 10 days to work on her game and confidence prior to the start of the Big Dance.
Not to mention the five days between each round. It is a month before the Final four; that’s plenty of time for her and her teammates to be clicking on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
She did make an incredible pass though; saving a ball going out of bounds under the basket and threading the needle between two defenders for a Dorka layup. It was breathtaking watching the replay from another camera angle.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:

What have we had, two weeks of practice with the team at full strength? There is no way this team can look totally fluid and unstoppable against good teams, which Marquette is. My initial reaction was to be disappointed(with the offense, not the defense) in the game after it was 33-6, but as I think about it more and more, the lineup tinkering that was done the rest of the game, frankly has to be done. While this team is playing for a BE championship this weekend, the goal is to win 6 once the NCAAT starts. With such little practice time, that means tinkering, if you will, has to be done during games.

I'm thinking that the long break between the BET and the first round of the NCAAT will be very valuable practice time.

Reaction Score
I haven't read all 6 pages of this conversation, so this may have already been said, but to me, the team looked tired in the second half. A lot of shots were short and they seemed to be a half-step behind on some plays.

As long as the defense keeps playing well, the team will go a long way, but as South Carolina showed, you have to continue to score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom