Marquette (18) @ Mississippi St (6) - 12/06/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette (18) @ Mississippi St (6) - 12/06/18

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
They have 5 active players on their roster with 1000+ career points. I doubt we'll face anyone much tougher this year. Sure, we have UConn and Notre Dame staring at our faces in April. But if UConn and Notre Dame were to face Marquette, while they're probably better built and will probably start to pull away at the end, Marquette could probably stay with them for a while. Maybe UConn less than Notre Dame. They took them Notre Dame to overtime last year after all.

Reaction Score
They have 5 active players on their roster with 1000+ career points. I doubt we'll face anyone much tougher this year. Sure, we have UConn and Notre Dame staring at our faces in April. But if UConn and Notre Dame were to face Marquette, while they're probably better built and will probably start to pull away at the end, Marquette could probably stay with them for a while. Maybe UConn less than Notre Dame. They took them Notre Dame to overtime last year after all.

Looks like ND plays them again this year. I'm definitely gonna watch that game.

Reaction Score
I sure like a coach that recognizes that he/she owns responsibility for not preparing his/her team properly. Very impressed with Vic. The coaching staff at Marquette should also be commended for the great game plan last night. Marquette (like ASU) are going to wreck some playoff dreams come the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
Marquette is a little up and down at times because they depend on hitting a lot of mid-range jumpers to be really on. In their first loss at Miami, they only shot 28.6% from the field and 50% from the line. Last night, they were knocking down a lot of shots. and ended up at 54.1% from the field and 72.7% from the line.

MSU fans shouldn't panic too much. This Marquette team took ND to OT last year, and they returned all 5 starters. When they are hitting their shots, they are a really tough opponent.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Marquette is a little up and down at times because they depend on hitting a lot of mid-range jumpers to be really on. In their first loss at Miami, they only shot 28.6% from the field and 50% from the line. Last night, they were knocking down a lot of shots. and ended up at 54.1% from the field and 72.7% from the line.

MSU fans shouldn't panic too much. This Marquette team took ND to OT last year, and they returned all 5 starters. When they are hitting their shots, they are a really tough opponent.
Exactly this. Marquette is a hot-and-cold team. When they're hot they can really dazzle (like last night). When cold, they can lose to a team like Georgetown by 25 points (that happened last year).

Reaction Score
I couldn't see the game, but I would assume teams game strategy would similar when playing Miss State or Baylor. Were they successful playing the sagging defense?

Reaction Score
Wish State used high post passing more. If Howard gets the ball at the elbow or key, McCowan should immediately post up and get the ball. If they leave Howard open, take the three.

Reaction Score
I couldn't see the game, but I would assume teams game strategy would similar when playing Miss State or Baylor. Were they successful playing the sagging defense?

Yep, they were sagging and then playing Bibby really tight on the outside. Basically if you have a dominant big girl they are going to have 2 and 3 surrounding them. Then they tight cover your best 3 point shooter. Looked kind of like a 4 man zone with 1 man to man on Bibby.

Reaction Score
Were they successful playing the sagging defense?

Sort of. MSU scored 87, but they missed a lot of open shots that they have been knocking down so far this season.

I think a lot of Marquette's success was trying to get points before Teaira could get set up. They ran on makes and misses alike. Vic will have a lot to work on today. MSU played Marquette's game. He doesn't want to play that style of ball.

Reaction Score
Yep, they were sagging and then playing Bibby really tight on the outside. Basically if you have a dominant big girl they are going to have 2 and 3 surrounding them. Then they tight cover your best 3 point shooter. Looked kind of like a 4 man zone with 1 man to man on Bibby.

That is what I was assuming and is kind of what ASU and South Dakota did and both found success. However, once you see it a few times I feel like the execution on how to work around it will get better for Miss State and BU.

Reaction Score
Sort of. MSU scored 87, but they missed a lot of open shots that they have been knocking down so far this season.

I think a lot of Marquette's success was trying to get points before Teaira could get set up. They ran on makes and misses alike. Vic will have a lot to work on today. MSU played Marquette's game. He doesn't want to play that style of ball.

You think they were missing them due to higher quality of opponent which would translate to better defense. MSU has played one notable opponent so this would be another challenge when the guards faces teams with better defense which would more than likely give more contested shots.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Great game by Marquette. For us, it was a game we needed. We were outplayed at times and their speed gave us trouble, our defense was spotty at times especially on transition possessions. State is still a work in progress this year. A lot of talent but team has a way to go to be at the top of the totem pole.

Reaction Score
That is what I was assuming and is kind of what ASU and South Dakota did and both found success. However, once you see it a few times I feel like the execution on how to work around it will get better for Miss State and BU.

I just hope we don’t see the Center getting hurt for any team. Tiera ended up on the floor multiple times because they were pushing up under her on rebounds and shots.

Reaction Score
You think they were missing them due to higher quality of opponent which would translate to better defense.

I thought the shots were there and the pressure wan't really that bad. The guards were 9 for 30 (30%). That won't do. The same guards were 14 for 25 (56%) vs Texas.

Reaction Score
Damn SEC network....I don't have it. Should be a great game and a practice test for MSU before Oregon. Marquette is good and I do not think Vic is taking this game lightly. Go Warriors! oops ...er Golden Eagles
You should get Sling tv. SEC, SEC+, ACC, Lots of west coast too.

Reaction Score
I thought the shots were there and the pressure wan't really that bad. The guards were 9 for 30 (30%). That won't do. The same guards were 14 for 25 (56%) vs Texas.

Oh so just a little off shooting night for the guards. Those are hard to have when defense plays that scheme.

Reaction Score
Oh so just a little off shooting night for the guards. Those are hard to have when defense plays that scheme.

If I were coaching against MSU, I would do the same and dare Jazz and Danberry to beat me with their shooting. It almost worked.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Certainly, that is only real strategy that might work. Danberry is a pretty good shooter. Holmes, not so much. But trying to match up with Big T and Howard Mano-Mano is not going to work.
Still based off all the gloom and doom predicted after losing the bulk of last year’s team, this group has already played exceedingly well and is a long way from hitting its ceiling.

Reaction Score
If I were coaching against MSU, I would do the same and dare Jazz and Danberry to beat me with their shooting. It almost worked.

Just like SC tried Sunday with BU....it's a great idea if it's an off night, but not if they are hitting.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Ahh yes, the ole Square and One. Zone with a Chaser...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It seems like every day a new Mississippi State fan emerges here. It's impressive. I seem to recall we used to have only one who posted with any regularity (but I could be wrong), now it seems like y'all are outnumbering the South Carolina fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom