Marquette (18) @ Mississippi St (6) - 12/06/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette (18) @ Mississippi St (6) - 12/06/18

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Funkadelic made the first but missed the second. MSU leads by a point with 40 secs to play.

Reaction Score
Danberry and Scott came through big in some moments down the stretch

Reaction Score
In the end MSU won the game. That's what solid teams do, they win despite a fantastic effort by the opponent. Can't wait to see the MSU vs UO game.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Great game by Marquette. Lots to learn from for State and it didn't cost them a loss. Too tired to look it up right now, but that feels like the most points we've given up since maybe UConn in 2016. Gonna be a rough set of practices for a few of the ladies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well at least this game will cool the sizzle of the MSU fans who were saying their team should be #2 or #3.
Will it? I hope so but...I learned a hard lesson lately thinking people would/had changed....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This Marquette team when hot could probably take down a lot of ranked teams tonight

Issue is its tough to shoot like this on a routine basis. A few kids shot out of their minds tonight.

I think MSU is definitely a top 5 team at this point, not sure about #2, but the Oregon matchup will tell us a lot. The Mchoward combo is a scary matchup. Other players will have to continue to step up and improve, which I am sure they will.

Danberry and Bibby weren't particularly sharp tonight. Both were missing lots of open shots, Danberry was turning it over as well.

There are things MSU obviously have to clean up, especially on the defensive end, but its only the beginning of December. Vic will have this team in a much better place by February.

I do think this type of game is good for them though, handling being down in the 4th quarter in a tight game will help down the road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whew! Marquette did all they could to win that game, just came up a little short. If Marquette had any post play they would be really great, shot the lights out tonight and made MSST look like our shoes were stuck in molasses.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I dunno.... you thought MSU played poorly? This Marquette team probably could have beaten a lot good teams tonight.
They almost got beat on their home court by a team with no player above 6 feet tall, and were completely bailed out by their height and rebounding advantage. Howard and McCowan combined for 53 and 30.

Not saying that MSU played poorly, just saying they're not the bees' knees like some of the homers around here seem to think.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What a blast!

Two takeaways for me: 1) Marquette - DePaul should play each other twice. I'm hoping to gods that I can see those games! 2) I think Marquette gave some teams a blueprint for how to contain McCowan. I don't think the sag-and-double strategy would work for everyone, but they did it very effectively.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Great game. Did not expect anything quite like this. We haven't been challenged in a long time (since Louisville and Notre Dame last year), so I wasn't exactly conditioned to expect a nailbiter. Last time we allowed 82+ points was March 26, 2017 against Baylor in an overtime game.... 20 months ago.

I'm sure Vic isn't happy about that, but I'm very happy about many things. Bibby, Danberry, and Scott coming in in the clutch for one. Great play by Bibby in the last shot to avoid leaning in. Marquette was trying to draw contact on a 3-point shot, and Bibby stayed with it and got a piece of the last shot. Marquette is a very good top 15 team that people aren't talking about enough, and I love the way they played, or came to play.

Still, this tape is suddenly the most valuable thing now for Vic, and he needs to review it again and call extra team meetings on this.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
17-20 from the FT line was huge. Very easily could have lost this game. Great test.

Reaction Score
Game plan is solid...make Mississippi State run. They aren't nearly as imposing if McCowan isn't back defensively. King looks fantastic for Marquette.

This is definitely one way to game play against State. UCLA did this last year in the Elite 8 and caused some problems.

Reaction Score
Jazz Holmes had 13 assists and 1 turnover. Pretty impressive against a team of Marquette’s caliber.

Howard and McCowan combined for 53 and 30.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Danielle King was on fire tonight. She's 5th on the team in ppg but went off for 27 tonight. All the other Marquette starters played big as well, except Davenport: 0 points, 2 rebounds, 4 turnovers. There's your ball game right there.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
What a blast!

Two takeaways for me: 1) Marquette - DePaul should play each other twice. I'm hoping to gods that I can see those games! 2) I think Marquette gave some teams a blueprint for how to contain McCowan. I don't think the sag-and-double strategy would work for everyone, but they did it very effectively.

Not picking, but she did have 24 and 18 and shot 75% and the strategy left Howard free to have a massive game.

Marquette played very well and impressed the hell out of me.

I'm not delusional. We're not UConn or even ND, but we are certainly in the next tier.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Jazz Holmes had 13 assists and 1 turnover. Pretty impressive against a team of Marquette’s caliber.

Howard and McCowan combined for 53 and 30.

Yeah, I think she's answering the question many asked about why she got so many minutes in key games while William sat.

Reaction Score
Only thing she badly needs to add is a 3-ball. Teams sag heavily off of her and it can make entry passes difficult. Wouldn’t mind seeing Holmes try one per game if they’re going to do that. She is 2/3 on the season either. Myah Taylor not the best shooter either, but better. Guess we will hear about Chastity Patterson soon.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not picking, but she did have 24 and 18 and shot 75% and the strategy left Howard free to have a massive game.

Marquette played very well and impressed the hell out of me.

I'm not delusional. We're not UConn or even ND, but we are certainly in the next tier.
I agree, she was absolutely effective. But how many of her baskets were assisted, maybe three? Most of her points were either putbacks or free throws. I would have expected that against such a hieght-challenged team, MSST would get the ball to her half their half-court possessions. They tried, but were seldom successful.

As I said, the Marquette strategy wouldn’t work for all, or even many teams. It was really well-executed.

And I for one am not counting MSST out. Vic has a certain magic that he may be able to work on this team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds like a good game. I'm still trying to get my granddaughter to go to a WBB game at The Al.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom