March Other Big East Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

March Other Big East Games

Reaction Score
GTown Creighton game is a like a pickup game in a weekday afternoon at the UConn Field House. UConn blew out Depaul earlier and Creighton is saying “hold my beer”.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Georgetown and DePaul both made a good argument for relegation tonight.

You gotta think Georgetown might get better after the fire Ewing, but DePaul has sucked forever and shows basically no sign of being competitive in a power conference.

Neither team was in the game for even a second tonight.

Also, lol, Providence.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine this would be worth it for Akok?

Or Wahab who saw what kinda circus Ewing was running, left and then came back.

The live spread in the Georgetown game tonight briefly hit +45….that’s astounding.

Reaction Score
Wow. 40-point loss for Georgetown against Creighton. And I thought DePaul was bad tonight. 19 made 3s for Creighton. Next Thursday should be fun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You gotta think Georgetown might get better after the fire Ewing, but DePaul has sucked forever and shows basically no sign of being competitive in a power conference.

Also, lol, Providence.
Wow. 40-point loss for Georgetown against Creighton. And I thought DePaul was bad tonight. 19 made 3s for Creighton. Next Thursday should be fun.

I still think neutral court with no coaches Georgetown beats DePaul. But yes, they are both god awful.

Reaction Score
With PC losing there is probably a ~20-25% chance we see them next Thursday at MSG. For that to happen Seton Hall would have to win in Providence on Saturday and Creighton would need to win @Depaul.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They aren’t home court refs. They’re Big East refs. The days of home court refs are long gone.

Good point. Look at all of PC's great road wins. There is the 5 point win at #76 Villanova, and the 4 point win over #84 Seton Hall, and the next one is #128 Butler. Must be just coincidence that PC sucks on the road.

Reaction Score
Good point. Look at all of PC's great road wins. There is the 5 point win at #76 Villanova, and the 4 point win over #84 Seton Hall, and the next one is #128 Butler. Must be just coincidence that PC sucks on the road.

Unfortunately you’re stuck in the past. There are a lot of other reasons besides refs that the home court is an advantage. You’re so busy watching the refs that you’re missing a lot of good games. Sad.

Reaction Score

Also, lol, Providence.
Conferences clearly benefit from having a presence in large markets. At one point, it was to capture a large TV audience. Now, it’s more about getting exposure in strong recruiting areas. Either way, the Big East has a presence in three large cities with great basketball history: New York, Washington DC and Chicago. The local teams should get the most benefit from being in these markets. However, these programs are struggling. Last night was a very bad night for DePaul and Georgetown. They were clearly outclassed in these games and the effort was marginal. What will it take to get these programs back on track? Is it possible for DePaul? They’ve been bad for a long time. We should want all Big East teams to be successful. It’s good for the conference.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No cans for students. Apparently the new rule is anyone under 25 beers had to poured into plastic cups.

Theyve actually ruined some stuff this year, a student reporters laptop and soaked a bunch of people you dont want to soak.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Also, lol, Providence.

If Georgetown does pull Pitino they will automatically rise to mid pack. Take a bit of work to make the step after that, but I have no doubt that he will have that team out of the cellar and then some pretty much immediately.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Thats 2 more than we have

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If Georgetown does pull Pitino they will automatically rise to mid pack. Take a bit of work to make the step after that, but I have no doubt that he will have that team out of the cellar and then some pretty much immediately.
Pitino has enough juice to get Thompson's sons out of the building for good. Ewing couldnt do that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately you’re stuck in the past. There are a lot of other reasons besides refs that the home court is an advantage. You’re so busy watching the refs that you’re missing a lot of good games. Sad.
Sure. Like the refs being afraid PC fans will knife them in the parking lot. The disparity for PC isn't explainable by anything that happens on the court, or by crowd support, Cooley's witty banter, or consumption of pizza strips or watery clam chowder. PC just gets a wildly favorable whistle at home, which is the "home" of the Big East from a historical standpoint.

I'm glad they will likely get Nova in MSG.

Reaction Score
With PC losing there is probably a ~20-25% chance we see them next Thursday at MSG. For that to happen Seton Hall would have to win in Providence on Saturday and Creighton would need to win @Depaul.
who would we rather play? Creighton or PC?

i think PC because falling to the 4 seed would require them losing 2 home games in a row, and they would be 1-3 in their last 4 going into the BET.

if creighton lost to at depaul then theyd also be 1-3 in their last 4 going into the BET but i dont think thatll happen

either way, i think id rather play PC or Creighton than Nova 2x in a row

Reaction Score
who would we rather play? Creighton or PC?

i think PC because falling to the 4 seed would require them losing 2 home games in a row, and they would be 1-3 in their last 4 going into the BET.

if creighton lost to at depaul then theyd also be 1-3 in their last 4 going into the BET but i dont think thatll happen

either way, i think id rather play PC or Creighton than Nova 2x in a row
Personally I'd rather play PC than Creighton. I'd also rather play Nova over either of them, but that's not going to happen because Nova is locked into the 6 and we aren't getting the 3 seed.

Reaction Score
Personally I'd rather play PC than Creighton. I'd also rather play Nova over either of them, but that's not going to happen because Nova is locked into the 6 and we aren't getting the 3 seed.
let's see what happens saturday but right now i'd take PC over Nova if i could choose.

technically we could get the 3 seed. if Creighton and pc both lose the last game we'd all be tied in the standings. we'd have a tiebreaker over crieghton since they got swept by marquette and we split. who gets the 3 seed between us and PC would come down to a coin flip.

Reaction Score
who gets the 3 seed between us and PC would come down to a coin flip.
Hardly worth the time to type since it's not going to happen but before coin flip they use NET rankings

Reaction Score
The disparity for PC isn’t explainable . . . PC just gets a wildly favorable whistle at home.
Are you aware of the free throw disparity in PCU's home games? And have you seen the manner in which they defend?

Someone shared the free throw numbers earlier or maybe in another thread. They are pretty convincing.

I’m not sure what they are convincing of? You guys seem to be attributing any disparity to some conspiracy originating in the Big East office or simply contrived by the refs themselves. Where’s the evidence for that?

Considering only Big East games, the fact is that more fouls are called against PC at home than on the road. It is also a fact that more fouls are called against opponents than against PC BOTH at home AND on the road. The disparity IS greater in PC’s favor in the Dunk than it is elsewhere, but nonetheless calls are going in PC’s favor BOTH at home AND on the road.

So, what’s going on here? Well, another fact is that the Big East has some of the MOST foul prone teams in the country and some of the LEAST foul prone teams. Look at Creighton and Butler and you’ll find the same disparity that you find for PC. Here’s where Big East teams stand among all 363 D-1 teams on the official NCAA rankings for fewest personal fouls committed in all games.

1. Creighton (12.7)
3. Butler (13.1)
26. Georgetown (14.5)
53. Providence (15.2)
93. Villanova (15.9)
111. Marquette (16.1)
112. Xavier (16.1)
128. St. John’s (16.3)
247. Seton Hall (17.8)
290. DePaul (18.6)
304. UConn (18.8)

So, the bottom line is that regardless of who the opponent is, we are one of the most foul prone teams in the country. This is a bad idea for any team because it’s a way that teams beat themselves. It is an indicator of poor fundamentals on defense and as such, it is completely correctable by the coaching staff.

Complaining about the referees is a classic case of shooting the messenger. The refs call more fouls against us because our players commit more fouls than other teams do. Attributing this to the Big East HQ being in Providence is just lunacy. There is a disparity in foul calls at the Dunk because PC is one of the better teams in the country at playing defense without committing fouls.

Here’s another unpleasant fact. Our 12.7 turnovers per game rank us 188th in fewest TOVs among 363 D-1 teams, which is decidedly mediocre. A number of our losses can be directly attributed to too many TOVs. This is another sign of poor fundamentals. Again, look to the coaching staff. If the dual trends of committing fouls and turning the ball over are not corrected, we will be seeing an early exit from the tournaments because these are ways that teams beat themselves. In close games against evenly matched teams, these can be difference makers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what they are convincing of? You guys seem to be attributing any disparity to some conspiracy originating in the Big East office or simply contrived by the refs themselves. Where’s the evidence for that?

Considering only Big East games, the fact is that more fouls are called against PC at home than on the road. It is also a fact that more fouls are called against opponents than against PC BOTH at home AND on the road. The disparity IS greater in PC’s favor in the Dunk than it is elsewhere, but nonetheless calls are going in PC’s favor BOTH at home AND on the road.

So, what’s going on here? Well, another fact is that the Big East has some of the MOST foul prone teams in the country and some of the LEAST foul prone teams. Look at Creighton and Butler and you’ll find the same disparity that you find for PC. Here’s where Big East teams stand among all 363 D-1 teams on the official NCAA rankings for fewest personal fouls committed in all games.

1. Creighton (12.7)
3. Butler (13.1)
26. Georgetown (14.5)
53. Providence (15.2)
93. Villanova (15.9)
111. Marquette (16.1)
112. Xavier (16.1)
128. St. John’s (16.3)
247. Seton Hall (17.8)
290. DePaul (18.6)
304. UConn (18.8)

So, the bottom line is that regardless of who the opponent is, we are one of the most foul prone teams in the country. This is a bad idea for any team because it’s a way that teams beat themselves. It is an indicator of poor fundamentals on defense and as such, it is completely correctable by the coaching staff.

Complaining about the referees is a classic case of shooting the messenger. The refs call more fouls against us because our players commit more fouls than other teams do. Attributing this to the Big East HQ being in Providence is just lunacy. There is a disparity in foul calls at the Dunk because PC is one of the better teams in the country at playing defense without committing fouls.

Here’s another unpleasant fact. Our 12.7 turnovers per game rank us 188th in fewest TOVs among 363 D-1 teams, which is decidedly mediocre. A number of our losses can be directly attributed to too many TOVs. This is another sign of poor fundamentals. Again, look to the coaching staff. If the dual trends of committing fouls and turning the ball over are not corrected, we will be seeing an early exit from the tournaments because these are ways that teams beat themselves. In close games against evenly matched teams, these can be difference makers.
If you watch them play, you‘d never conclude that UConn commits more fouls than PC. The problem is what the Big East considers a foul. I know you don’t agree so the argument is pointless. I see PC games and they foul like mad and it isn’t called. Happened last night vs Xavier. One call against Carter was comical, he bumped Boum hard, then bumped him hard again, then slashed down on his shoulder and arm, was called and complained. Three fouls in about 5 seconds, the refs saw one. Other leagues call those bumps and let touch fouls go. UConn is prone to touch fouls.

As for conspiracies, yes, I think the Big East refs hate Dan Hurley and have penalized the team all year. @Chief00 said they hold the Bouknight thing against us too. Dan has been notably quiet. He knows it has been happening and he’s shut up in hopes that maybe they will disfavor his team less. Have you ever seen him less animated than he’s been the last 8-10 games?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you watch them play, you‘d never conclude that UConn commits more fouls than PC. The problem is what the Big East considers a foul. I know you don’t agree so the argument is pointless. I see PC games and they foul like mad and it isn’t called. Happened last night vs Xavier. One call against Carter was comical, he bumped Boum hard, then bumped him hard again, then slashed down on his shoulder and arm, was called and complained. Three fouls in about 5 seconds, the refs saw one. Other leagues call those bumps and let touch fouls go. UConn is prone to touch fouls.

As for conspiracies, yes, I think the Big East refs hate Dan Hurley and have penalized the team all year. @Chief00 said they hold the Bouknight thing against us too. Dan has been notably quiet. He knows it has been happening and he’s shut up in hopes that maybe they will disfavor his team less. Have you ever seen him less animated than he’s been the last 8-10 games?
DH can only blame DH for his actions and in the Bouk case his ridiculously improper reaction during and after the game.
UConn maybe does receive a small portion of questionable fouls but the team doesn't play D with their feet, the play with their arms and have for a few years.
The amount of fouls and the number of turnovers are unbelievably high and have made the difference in some outcomes.
The NBE refs are bad but UConn has committed fouls that are fouls and a much larger percentage are legit rather than bad calls due to refs vs DH. That's not even arguable. I will bet fans of every team feels the refs have it in for them.

Reaction Score

Yes, I watched the PC game last night and I can’t believe we watched the same game. I watch a lot of their games because I have a rivalry going with my son-in-law.

This conspiracy theory about the refs out to get DH is just nuts. Calls by refs are part of the game. They’re paid to be impartial, not to be perfect. No human being is. So, if they’re calling the game a certain way, a team under its coach’s leadership has to adjust. Complaining about the refs is just a fool’s errand.

Meanwhile you didn’t address any of the points I raised. Throughout the entire season, with Big East refs and non-BE refs. We’re one of the most foul prone teams in the country. That’s simply bad fundamentals. It was Forget about PC. What about all of the other games we’ve played? BE refs don’t like Hurley? What about all of the non-BE refs we faced in November & December?

You are refusing to face the reality that this has been a foul prone team all year and that’s been their undoing at times. Much easier to blame the refs than to accept reality.

Can you handle the truth?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom