March 17 Non-UConn games thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

March 17 Non-UConn games thread

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
FGCU has been attacking off the dribble all game and Mizzou can't stop it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It seems like in most of these upsets (men's games too), the underdog stays aggressive all game long. None of this running clock stuff. Keep doing what you were doing that gave you the lead in the first place. Maybe coaches from the power conference schools could learn something from that. Stall ball seems almost guaranteed to make the lead dwindle away.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2 Missouri starters have fouled out. 74-61 4:51 left.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UCLA wins 71-60. Not very impressive showing for the Bruins.
UCLA has developed a habit this year of limping through underwhelming wins against lesser opponents.

I really think their multiple narrow losses to the stronger teams have undermined their confidence. The back-to-back overtime losses in Oregon were gutting and they haven't seemed to respond well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's really amazing the Karl Smesko of FGCU hasn't been snatched up by a Power 5 suitor. I understand he was interviewed for (and perhaps offered?) the USC job but still. Very few mid-major coaches have had the kind of sustained success he has.

Reaction Score
"[fgcu player] literally put the team on her back" - Dan Hughes, I think

No, Dan, unless she's Hercules, she did not literally put the team on her back.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cunningham landed awkwardly on an off balance 3, now she's limping.

80-70 w/ 21 seconds left. Day 2 has been quite a bit more interesting than Day 1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Dow could probably carry a couple of her teammates on her back.

Plebe

Reaction Score

This is, for me, the most amusing misuse of the English language.

Other favorites of mine, actually heard:
— "I was literally on pins and needles."
— "I was literally glued to every page."
— "I literally died laughing."

Reaction Score
Who on earth is the second person calling the Nicholls and MSU game? I can't understand a darn thing being said.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Who on earth is the second person calling the Nicholls and MSU game? I can't understand a darn thing being said.

Pretty sure it's Tamika Catchings. She has hearing loss. It is distracting though.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
2 Missouri starters have fouled out. 74-61 4:51 left.

This is what happens when an SEC team draws an officiating crew that adheres to the rules regarding freedom of movement. Missouri was exposed as the fraud they've been all year.

Reaction Score
She seems to have insightful things to say, but she's mumbling so much its a challenge to decipher what is being said. Unfortunate. Now I can't grab another beer or I'll really miss what she's saying.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This is what happens when an SEC team draws an officiating crew that adheres to the rules regarding freedom of movement. Missouri was exposed as the fraud they've been all year.

I didn't watch much SEC hoops this year, but I gathered several of the teams are overly physical on defense.

Reaction Score

Fraud?
They beat Quinnipiac, Cal, South Carolina, and Tenn this year. They also were 1 of just 2 teams to score within 5 points of Miss St during the regular season.

They did, however, seem to wither down the stretch.

Reaction Score
“Seeding is never accurate in middle seed games. “.
Not true at all.
I don’t have the stats in front of me but in the women’s draw, the higher seeded team wins overwhelmingly.

In 6 vs 11 games, #6 has won 66 and lost 26 (72%).

toadfoot

Reaction Score
I didn't watch much SEC hoops this year, but I gathered several of the teams are overly physical on defense.

I get both the SECN and the PAC12 networks, but generally the PAC12 games were too late, so I mostly saw SEC games except for UConn. The SEC style of defense is predicated on inhibiting freedom of movement. Bump the cutter here, hip check the ball handler there, put a shoulder into the player running the baseline. Don't knock them down, just slow them down. Last year's final 4 was officiated like an SEC game and it was not a shock that the 2 finalists from last were South Carolina and Mississippi St. and that the 2 teams that lost in the semi finals were teams that excel at freedom of movement. I detest that type of basketball. Basically rugby with a round ball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think USC (West Coast version) plays a bit of that SEC style of defense, and I agree, I hate it. Kinda seems like gaming the system. You are daring the refs to call 50 fouls against you in a game. They won't do it, so you get away with A LOT!

toadfoot

Reaction Score
Fraud?
They beat Quinnipiac, Cal, South Carolina, and Tenn this year. They also were 1 of just 2 teams to score within 5 points of Miss St during the regular season.

They did, however, seem to wither down the stretch.

Quinnipiac got beat worse by MSU than Missouri. They also lost to Princeton and got annihilated by OSU.
The fact that they beat South Carolina and Tenn says a lot more about the overall quality of the SEC than it does about Missouri.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it's Tamika Catchings. She has hearing loss. It is distracting though.
I can hear her just fine, and she has great commentary. One of the all-time legends of the game.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
I think USC (West Coast version) plays a bit of that SEC style of defense, and I agree, I hate it. Kinda seems like gaming the system. You are daring the refs to call 50 fouls against you in a game. They won't do it, so you get away with A LOT!

Exactly right!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom