Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No you can include EVEN SU in that bogus footprint outside of hoops in the NYC/NJ /Conn metro is or should'nt have been counted as ACC "territory" but B1G while Mandel gave away about 14M viewers when SU plays in the meadowland(Metlife) area they only bring tops 20G fans like while they played PSU 39G showed(where none PSU fans?) or the previous yr USC while the NJ school playing FCS Howard at the same time 30 mile's away in Piscataway had 50G for a meaningless "game" or "scrimmage". I wonder how many would show when RU plays PSU or OSU or even Wisconsin in that very venue? Where's the beef in Cuse FB following?

You may be right, but that leaves the Empire State empty unless Buffalo or Army are the state's main football schools. Rutgers might just be the State University of NY as well, now that I think of it. ;) It's always interesting to me that a state with almost 20 million residents does not have a big name State university in terms of athletics, where a state like Mississippi has 2 (almost 3 if you count So. Miss). I guess it's a pro football > college football thing in NY? To boot, NY's land grant university is a private ivy league school and SU is their forestry school.

Reaction Score
You may be right, but that leaves the Empire State empty unless Buffalo or Army are the state's main football schools. Rutgers might just be the State University of NY as well, now that I think of it. ;) It's always interesting to me that a state with almost 20 million residents does not have a big name State university in terms of athletics, where a state like Mississippi has 2 (almost 3 if you count So. Miss). I guess it's a pro football > college football thing in NY? To boot, NY's land grant university is a private ivy league school and SU is their forestry school.
The SUNY system in total has almost 500k students. When you look at the demographics, geography, density, etc. of the region, this system works quite well, and college football was not its primary purpose. If they were to combine Stony Brook, Buffalo, Albany, and Binghamton, that would be one formidable campus.

Reaction Score
When you look at the demographics, geography, density, etc. of the region, this system works quite well, and college football was not its primary purpose.

This is true and great for the Empire State academically.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
LOL....doesn't fit your narrative, does it...although that is also what Alvarez said....

The "story didn't fall flat on its face"...you just didn't like it....to be more precise.

Reaction Score
LOL....doesn't fit your narrative, does it...although that is also what Alvarez said....

The "story didn't fall flat on its face"...you just didn't like it....to be more precise.

You keep citing one quote from someone that many people have told you that you are entirely taking out of context.

You're still wrong. You were then and you are now.

Reaction Score
Telling...The B1G admits that they had to move because of ACC expansion.

"“That’s when it changed,” says Delany. “Once people start getting on our doorstep and calling our institutions, then I think it’s important to be able to be offensive and defensive. We came to the conclusion there was more risk in sitting still than there was in exploring other opportunities.”

Reaction Score
You keep citing one quote from someone that many people have told you that you are entirely taking out of context.

You're still wrong. You were then and you are now.

Huh...who? Big Ten apologists? I read the article...I quoted it....

Out of context? BS...Out of your narrative, maybe.

Reaction Score
You "stop reading" when you disagree with an article...and then post over and over that something is out of context when you can't refute the words spoken.

But put all of the quotes together and they lead a reasonable person to the conclusion that the B1G was very concerned about the ACC and possible further expansion.

Reaction Score
Telling...The B1G admits that they had to move because of ACC expansion.

"“That’s when it changed,” says Delany. “Once people start getting on our doorstep and calling our institutions, then I think it’s important to be able to be offensive and defensive. We came to the conclusion there was more risk in sitting still than there was in exploring other opportunities.”

Good grief you're going to great lengths to purposely stay ignorant.

Maryland and Rutgers were always on the radar. Period. That's a fact.

All he's saying is that they decided not to wait any longer. They're saying that the timing may have been expedited by the move, but it didn't change their plans much. Everyone else can see that except you.

You need to realize sometimes people think, sometimes they know.

Reaction Score
Kyle...a lot of internet posters "know"...join the Dude and MHVER in the those that know column.

Reaction Score
The SUNY system in total has almost 500k students. When you look at the demographics, geography, density, etc. of the region, this system works quite well, and college football was not its primary purpose. If they were to combine Stony Brook, Buffalo, Albany, and Binghamton, that would be one formidable campus.
It would also be a very large campus, there has to be some centralized location.

Southeast NY does not care about a bit about college football (its not exactly college hoops crazy either by the Natives-----SU and UCONN are not Natives to SE NY State).

Northwestern NY State---the rustbelt if you will---maybe fertile football terrritory which is why the University of Buffalo is spending huge bucks upgrade their program to escape the MAC. Where they land?

UBUFF envisions itself as having the potential to be"New Yorks University". However, what P5 conference is going to reach out to Buffalo?

Reaction Score
UBUFF envisions itself as having the potential to be"New Yorks University". However, what P5 conference is going to reach out to Buffalo?

UB has close to 30K students, are an AAU member, ranked 101 is USNWR as a tier 1 university with a $550 million endowment. Their sports facilities need more upgrades and programs need to move up a level. They may want to rebrand themselves as "NEW YORK STATE UNIVERSITY." They have tons of potential to move to a conference like the AAC some day... maybe after UCONN leaves for the B1G or ACC :)

Reaction Score
Maryland and Rutgers were always on the radar. Period. That's a fact.

All he's saying is that they decided not to wait any longer. They're saying that the timing may have been expedited by the move, but it didn't change their plans much.

I agree with everything which I quoted above here. I also think that the second paragraph is significant to conveying the whole story.

While I agree that Rutgers and Maryland have long been on B1G radar (since Penn State's admission), I also think their acquisition reeks of expediency. Either (1) These are stepping stones as part of a bigger plan still to be completed or (2) "this is the end of significant conference realignment, I have been boxed in, I have liked these two for a while, I think these are the best two available at this time, I had better grab them while I can."

Both rationales align with everything you asserted in the quote I excerpted.

I know you side with rationale (1). I think rationale (2) has great merit. Given that the ACC grant of rights came after the B1G invitation to RU and UMd, we know that an ACC grant of rights was not an impediment at the time. (We also know that it is the Big Ten who pioneered Grants of Rights in college football media deals.). With no ACC GOR impediment, rationale (1) can make perfect sense at the time of the RU/UMd invitations. Even though the ACC GOR was not in effect at time of RU/UMd invitations, it is now, and rationale (2) stands to be the de facto truth now. Delany has even made statements (post ACC GOR) corroborating "This is the end of significant conference realignment."

Reaction Score
UB has close to 30K students, are an AAU member, ranked 101 is USNWR as a tier 1 university with a $550 million endowment. Their sports facilities need more upgrades and programs need to move up a level. They may want to rebrand themselves as "NEW YORK STATE UNIVERSITY." They have tons of potential to move to a conference like the AAC some day... maybe after UCONN leaves for the B1G or ACC :)

Why would UCONN want to go to the ACC since when UNC is snapped up by the SEC the conference is going to disband, the B1G has financial trouble and never wins championships so clearly their days are numbered and the Big 12 is staying at 10 teams as not to slice the pie into smaller pieces?

Hell, the AAC will be the place to be.

Reaction Score
Kyle...a lot of internet posters "know"...join the Dude and ER in the those that know column.

I post under my real name. I covered athletics for nearly a decade, starting with local high school sports then college sports. I don't claim to "know" things very often to where it's worth speaking in absolutes. On the very isolated occasion I do, I stand behind my real name to do so. If you think that's somehow comparable to guys getting on an anonymous twitter moniker and posting thousands of daily updates claiming intimate knowledge of every secret meeting had by teams and leagues, then I truly feel sorry for your lack of perspective.

Reaction Score
I post under my real name. I covered athletics for nearly a decade, starting with local high school sports then college sports. I don't claim to "know" things very often to where it's worth speaking in absolutes. On the very isolated occasion I do, I stand behind my real name to do so. If you think that's somehow comparable to guys getting on an anonymous twitter moniker and posting thousands of daily updates claiming intimate knowledge of every secret meeting had by teams and leagues, then I truly feel sorry for your lack of perspective.
Just remember this kyleslamb ..most BYers ain't stupid and everything you've said has the ring of truth to it and others reek of arrogance and propaganda. I guess when most of the ACC is a secondary conference within the SEC footprint(except NC/VA) it brings out insecurities in some!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whoooaaa-----Puke? Dook? The rich kids that play in an outdated, shack that is looked upon as Holy Grail by Dickie V and the Raleigh/Durham mouthpieces at ESPN?

Like Rod Sellers I will never forgive them for stealing our chance for getting to our first FF during the "dream season". I had to wait 9 freakin' years.

"a shame", now we worry about them? They will be just fine, as will the ACC because they are riddled with enough SOB's that they won't ever fail.

That's what Delany sees, football rivals are more intense than basketball rivals and he has watered
down his conference more than enough.

Which is why the B1G is done expanding and why, we, as Nat'l Champs are still reliant (to a degree) on Dook as a rival, and like it or not as a lifeline.
I am afraid that you may be correct.

Reaction Score
Hell, the AAC will be the place to be.

I remember the Big East football conference being better than the ACC from 2005 through 2008-ish. Virginia Tech was the only good team in the ACC then (depends on your definition of good too) and the Big East had Louisville, USF, WVU and Rutgers. What's to say UCF, Cincinnati and a few others don't start making some noise in the new AAC like the mid-2000s Big East. You never know.

Reaction Score
Just remember this kyleslamb ..most BYers ain't stupid and everything you've said has the ring of truth to it and others reek of arrogance and propaganda. I guess when most of the ACC is a secondary conference within the SEC footprint(except NC/VA) it brings out insecurities in some!

I suppose that's true. And to be fair, I don't hold it against The Boneyard that one lone FSU gentleman is overly concerned by what the Big Ten is doing to where it needs spun.

Reaction Score
I suppose that's true. And to be fair, I don't hold it against The Boneyard that one lone FSU gentleman is overly concerned by what the Big Ten is doing to where it needs spun.
I've noticed his agenda from his 1st few posts here along with banned bstimpycuse who 1 day appeared out of nowhere singing the praises of the ACC and immediately thought AGENDA! I wonder if he's a paid apologist or just fanatical?lol Anyway I've grown immune to his posts and take them for what their worth.

Reaction Score
ND went to the Big 12 for a partial deal too. They used that to leverage the ACC deal, playing one conference off against another.

Oh, good job. That's something to be proud of. Scum.

You kindof just admitted what most think of ND. Greedy leeches trolling around, looking for the most desperate/willing new host to suck dry.

Oh hey, I think Ill start a new catchphrase! "ScumND!!!" I'll use it in a sentence;

"The Old Big East got ScumND for a bunch of years, the BXII almost got ScumND, and now the ACC is gonna be getting ScumND for the foreseeable future." Sweet deal.

B1G 'fighting for survival', lol. Pfft...yeah.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh, good job. That's something to be proud of. Scum.

You kindof just admitted what most think of ND. Greedy leeches trolling around, looking for the most desperate/willing new host to suck dry.

Oh hey, I think Ill start a new catchphrase! "ScumND!!!" I'll use it in a sentence;

"The Old Big East got ScumND for a bunch of years, the BXII almost got ScumND, and now the ACC is gonna be getting ScumND for the foreseeable future." Sweet deal.

B1G 'fighting for survival', lol. Pfft...yeah.

Conference realignment is all about leverage and greed, especially the Big Ten and Jim Delany. Pot meet kettle, Purdue guy.

All schools look out for their own best interests, not just ND. It is just that ND finds football independence fits its best interests (unlike other schools who are trying to get into different conferences for more cash) and has more leverage than most to accomplish those goals and protect those interests.

Purdue was fortunate enough to join the Big Ten when nobody cared, otherwise it would be "trolling around, look for the most desperate/willing host to suck dry."

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is all about leverage and greed, especially the Big Ten and Jim Delany. Pot meet kettle, Purdue guy.

All schools look out for their own best interests, not just ND. It is just that ND finds football independence fits its best interests (unlike other schools who are trying to get into different conferences for more cash) and has more leverage than most to accomplish those goals and protect those interests.

Purdue was fortunate enough to join the Big Ten when nobody cared, otherwise it would be "trolling around, look for the most desperate/willing host to suck dry."
Lots of people and institutions look out for their best interests, they just don't abandon their principles when they do. In fact, many consider acting according to principle part of their best interests.

And stop making up scenarios so you can call somebody a name. "Purdue was fortunate enough to join the Big Ten when nobody cared, otherwise it would be "trolling around, look for the most desperate/willing host to suck dry."" What the hell was that about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom