Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ahhh...the basketball board

So you come to a UConn board to spout off about how only schools that have national champions are good enough for the P5 and forget about our 4 Men's Hoops titles? When the last one was 2 months ago? Why don't you crawl into a Cuse hole or something? I believe they won a football title back in the 50's. What's that, they consider FSU nouveau riche and not on par with them? Too bad. I'm sure the Louisville board will love you.

Reaction Score

Mine was not a bash Big Ten post. I don't ridicule that conference or call it or its schools any derogatory names.

My post merely reflected the trends brought up in the article about demographics and recruiting. I mention no conference as superior.

Here is Fishy's quote:

"If the level of your contribution here doesn't rise past a constant drumbeat as to why your conference is superior, if you're here to call the Big Ten "BUG" or Michigan "Meatchicken" or any of a thousand other annoyances, you're not welcome.

We rarely if ever ban anyone here, but visitors are now standing on a trap door. Contribute and behave...no problem. Post nonsense....we'll bounce you.

I trust that's clear enough."

Show me where my post does any of that.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
View attachment 6228

ND agrees with the article. It has shifted its recruiting focus sharply to the Southeast.

There are no non-home ND games scheduled in the Midwest the next three seasons.

The Purdue game is a "Shamrock Series" ND home game moved to Indianapolis.

ND wants to play football games in the Southeast, Southwest and East Coast for recruiting exposure.

Besides these games, ND and Georgia are close to announcing a series.

The Big Ten is of no help to ND here, quite the opposite. That is one reason why ND doesn't mind jettisoning annual games against Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

It wants the flexibility to add more games in the South and West in lieu of Big Ten games.

I see nothing wrong with this post. I think it's sad that the UM-ND series is cancelled. Some of the best games have been played in the last 20 years with in this series.

Reaction Score
Nobody here really cares about your friggn school. Can you find a Notre dame board where people might care?

Also you left out the 1st part of his quote

"This board is for UConn fans to talk about realignment and how it affects our school and program."

How is your post UConn related?

Reaction Score
Mine was not a bash Big Ten post. I don't ridicule that conference or call it or its schools any derogatory names.

My post merely reflected the trends brought up in the article about demographics and recruiting. I mention no conference as superior.

Here is Fishy's quote:

"If the level of your contribution here doesn't rise past a constant drumbeat as to why your conference is superior, if you're here to call the Big Ten "BUG" or Michigan "Meatchicken" or any of a thousand other annoyances, you're not welcome.

We rarely if ever ban anyone here, but visitors are now standing on a trap door. Contribute and behave...no problem. Post nonsense....we'll bounce you.

I trust that's clear enough."

Show me where my post does any of that.

What your post fails to mention is that ND trolled around for a hybrid deal and the only conference that would give them one was the ACC. As I have posted before, the resentment will build in the ACC when clearly superior football programs (FSU, Clemson etc.) witness an underachieving, passé program get special benefits because of ancient history. It's not that ND wants to focus on the southeast, it is because that is where the conference that got sucked into the ND web is located. If Delany et al and the B1G allowed ND to "half commit" to the conference, ND would have happily talked about the importance of maintaining historic rivalries with Mich, MSU etc. Look, it's simple - you guys hoodwinked the ACC. For that I'll tip my hat. But please - no self justification of an obvious self-centered move gets ND the special treatment that it feels entitled to.

Reaction Score
A couple of fundamental points on these "conference revenues" and "conference successes" subjects:

1) There is unquestionably a threshold of financial resources necessary for ultimate success. UConn must attain ACC or B1G membership "soon" (within ten years, and hopefully sooner) to main competitiveness, IMHO. (As I am sure most BoneYarders agree)

2) Beyond that threshold, I argue (with factual support), more money does not equal more success, and more money's equation to "better" is in the eye of the beholder.

Having some education from UConn, I am particularly interested in UConn's current success and aspirations for greater future success. It seems that "my ACC school" has been against UConn in the ACC, but I am most certainly for UConn in the ACC. And if the B1G works out for UConn, that is great, too. But there is all kinds of twisted irony in UConn going to the B1G, given that UConn has won so many more basketball titles than the entire B1G in recent years and that the common perception is that UConn must "upgrade" football to B1G levels when UConn has already shown itself to be quite competitive with B1G in football (last year's Michigan game, beating a frequent B1G opponent [ND] in South Bend, producing many NFL draftees...). UConn is already better (athletically) than much of the B1G, and yet, yes, in many ways, UConn is beholden to the B1G to be "saved." I just hope UConn athletics find their just place in the Power 5, wherever that may be,

Reaction Score
If this piece is accurate, unless the Big Ten values basketball in its quest for survival, our chances of receiving an invite probably remain low.

Much of Connecticut has a great deal in common with the demographics of the midwestern states (shrinking, getting older) and if Big Ten schools' fans object to adding Rutgers or Maryland, they may not have the stomach to add another Rutgers or Maryland in football, even if it is accompanied by a pair of world-class basketball programs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140618/big-ten-expansion/

Unfortunately I had a very similar feeling after reading. Two other thoughts that popped in my head:

1. Delaney from South Orange, NJ - helps explain Rutgers addition?
2. I felt it was almost comical when Mandel (who I like) tried to talk up RU sports with the Woman's BB team going to a couple Final 4's half a decade ago and the pumping of a nationally ranked Wrestling Squad - unintentional comedy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I has a very similar feeling after reading. Two other thoughts that popped in my head:

1. Delaney from South Orange, NJ - helps explain Rutgers addition?
2. I felt it was almost comical when Mandel (who I like) tried to talk up RU sports with the Woman's BB team going to a couple Final 4's half a decade ago and the pumping of a nationally ranked Wrestling Squad - unintentional comedy

#2 made me want to throw up. It's like everyone is ignoring Godzilla in the room.

Reaction Score
What your post fails to mention is that ND trolled around for a hybrid deal and the only conference that would give them one was the ACC. As I have posted before, the resentment will build in the ACC when clearly superior football programs (FSU, Clemson etc.) witness an underachieving, passé program get special benefits because of ancient history. It's not that ND wants to focus on the southeast, it is because that is where the conference that got sucked into the ND web is located. If Delany et al and the B1G allowed ND to "half commit" to the conference, ND would have happily talked about the importance of maintaining historic rivalries with Mich, MSU etc. Look, it's simple - you guys hoodwinked the ACC. For that I'll tip my hat. But please - no self justification of an obvious self-centered move gets ND the special treatment that it feels entitled to.

The Big 12 was in talks for a partial ND deal, too. ND rejected further talks with the Big 12 to sign the deal with the ACC.

Big 12 officials were caught by surprise by the ND/ACC deal

"Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby and former Big 12 interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas "both had conversations" with Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick about joining the conference, including keeping the school "in the loop about the Big 12's decision to partner with the SEC on the Champions Bowl, which will begin New Year's Night 2015." The conversations "had included Notre Dame playing up to six games against Big 12 schools." A source said, "No one is going to say it publicly, but this is a bit of a surprise and a big disappointment. We thought Notre Dame would be able to pursue its own network in the Big 12 and be a great fit here."

www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Da...ges/Big-12.aspx

(and no, I don't think that ND would have accepted a partial Big Ten deal over a partial ACC deal, for a number of reasons, enmity, "regionalization", recruiting, Southeast and East Coast exposure, etc..)

My post is UConn related because it responds to the original post and the linked article about how demographics is driving the Big Ten's expansion. It wants to move south but may be blocked by the ACC's GOR. That may have implications for UConn's CR hopes.

It may be that UConn is ultimately better off, recruiting and competition wise, in the ACC. I hope it gets there.

Reaction Score
If your question begins with a "who's achieved less?" the answer is always Rutgers..
And even by you're standards you've made my point....if it was RU who got into the B1G with such "low" underachieving isn't that in itself quite an achievement?Check+ Mate! You really are a sour loser.

Reaction Score
no it isn't....its the ACC or you're school!! Btw you're OT or/and jealous Cusefan.

Nick, I like your style but I'd advise against entering into a game of "who's achieved less" with anyone other than a Cubs fan if I were you.

Reaction Score
View attachment 6228

ND agrees with the article. It has shifted its recruiting focus sharply to the Southeast.

There are no non-home ND games scheduled in the Midwest the next three seasons.

The Purdue game is a "Shamrock Series" ND home game moved to Indianapolis.

ND wants to play football games in the Southeast, Southwest and East Coast for recruiting exposure.

Besides these games, ND and Georgia are close to announcing a series.

The Big Ten is of no help to ND here, quite the opposite. That is one reason why ND doesn't mind jettisoning annual games against Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

It wants the flexibility to add more games in the South and West in lieu of Big Ten games.

Terry ... I'm Irish & grew up on Lindsey Nelson after Mass while sitting with my Dad.

But ... at this point ... I don't give a Flying duck what ND is doing. Radix malorem est cupiditas (greed is the root of all evil). I just think the Irish have overplayed their hand & they just aren't that good a Program anymore.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Nick, I like your style but I'd advise against entering into a game of "who's achieved less" with anyone other than a Cubs fan if I were you.

Ummm . . . How about us Detroit Lions fans. Were so pathetic that you forgot about us. Our achieving less is legendary. The only 0-16 season (after going undefeated in the preseason), one playoff win, the only original NFL team never to make the Super Bowl. We are so pathetic that we forced one of, if not the greatest running back of all time into early retirement. Yet we continue to sell out the stadium. Cubs? I laugh at your patheticness. We have all of you beat in spades.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Ummm . . . How about us Detroit Lions fans. Were so pathetic that you forgot about us. Our achieving less is legendary. The only 0-16 season (after going undefeated in the preseason), one playoff win, the only original NFL team never to make the Super Bowl. We are so pathetic that we forced one of, if not the greatest running back of all time into early retirement. Yet we continue to sell out the stadium. Cubs? I laugh at your patheticness. We have all of you beat in spades.

This made me laugh out loud. I'm still upset over Barry's strange retirement and I'm not a Lions fan. Loved watching him play!

Reaction Score
Thanks UConn9603 but the question was not what school but conference and by anyones standards to deflect the futility of his ACC(which is abysmal and worse than the old BE) he chose to get "personal" and unless he's a FSU or Clampson fan in FB his schools historical record better be better than 52.5% winning which already makes mine better than 5 of the 14 B1G schools which shows either sour grape's or worse. I mean really all those years when RU was practically playing an Ivy schedule yet they took on behemoths with great results with D2 type players! I am a proud fan going back to Frank Burns and Jacque LaPrairie and won't take crap from these clowns who were taken aback by JD and his brilliant move IMO.So many of these big mouths are fans of grandfathered lightweights with no REAL history so they try looking for an easy mark! It ain't me. Thank's for you're concern and I'd do the same and have on national boards to defend you guys(if needed) lol! I hate arrogance.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks UConn9603 but the question was not what school but conference and by anyones standards to deflect the futility of his ACC(which is abysimal and worse than the old BE) he chose to get "personal" and unless he's a FSU or Clampson fan in FB his schools historical record better be better than 52.5% winning which already makes mine better than 9 of the 14 B1G schools which shows either sour grape's or worse. I mean really all those years when RU was practically playing an Ivy schedule yet they took on behemoths with great results with D2 type players! I am a proud fan going back to Frank Burns and Jacque LaPrairie and won't take crap from these clowns who were taken aback by JD and his brilliant move IMO.So many of these big mouths are fans of grandfathered lightweights with no REAL history so they try looking for an easy mark! It ain't me. Thank's for you're concern and I'd do the same and have on national boards to defend you guys(if needed) lol! I hate arrogance.

Arrogance bad. Stupidity good.

Reaction Score
Maybe so but I ALWAYS choose Calvin Johnson for my fantasy FB leagues and do well! I love(after my Jints) the Lions and they do have some followers down here...my nephew is a big Lions fan and its only a matter of time with the drafts they been having lately!

Reaction Score
Thanks UConn9603 but the question was not what school but conference and by anyones standards to deflect the futility of his ACC(which is abysimal and worse than the old BE) he chose to get "personal" and unless he's a FSU or Clampson fan in FB his schools historical record better be better than 52.5% winning which already makes mine better than 9 of the 14 B1G schools which shows either sour grape's or worse. I mean really all those years when RU was practically playing an Ivy schedule yet they took on behemoths with great results with D2 type players! I am a proud fan going back to Frank Burns and Jacque LaPrairie and won't take crap from these clowns who were taken aback by JD and his brilliant move IMO.So many of these big mouths are fans of grandfathered lightweights with no REAL history so they try looking for an easy mark! It ain't me. Thank's for you're concern and I'd do the same and have on national boards to defend you guys(if needed) lol! I hate arrogance.
I suspect the fans of every school seem arrogant to Rutgers fans. Did I understand your post correctly - you used the term "historical" - don't you mean "hysterical" ?

Reaction Score
I wonder what happened with that ACC clown ebubbalewis since I put him on ignore? What wonders modern technology is(ignore button)!Peace in the yard at last!! I highly recommend it for clown removal purposes.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 was in talks for a partial ND deal, too. ND rejected further talks with the Big 12 to sign the deal with the ACC.

Big 12 officials were caught by surprise by the ND/ACC deal

"Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby and former Big 12 interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas "both had conversations" with Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick about joining the conference, including keeping the school "in the loop about the Big 12's decision to partner with the SEC on the Champions Bowl, which will begin New Year's Night 2015." The conversations "had included Notre Dame playing up to six games against Big 12 schools." A source said, "No one is going to say it publicly, but this is a bit of a surprise and a big disappointment. We thought Notre Dame would be able to pursue its own network in the Big 12 and be a great fit here."

www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Da...ges/Big-12.aspx

(and no, I don't think that ND would have accepted a partial Big Ten deal over a partial ACC deal, for a number of reasons, enmity, "regionalization", recruiting, Southeast and East Coast exposure, etc..)

My post is UConn related because it responds to the original post and the linked article about how demographics is driving the Big Ten's expansion. It wants to move south but may be blocked by the ACC's GOR. That may have implications for UConn's CR hopes.

It may be that UConn is ultimately better off, recruiting and competition wise, in the ACC. I hope it gets there.

While I'm not claiming they had their mind made up, I can tell you that Notre Dame absolutely came to the Big Ten asking for a partial deal like the one the ACC offered just months prior to going to the ACC.

The Big Ten, of course, rejected that and countered with an offer for a gradual full-membership plan. Notre Dame rejected that and inquired about joining the Big Ten for hockey only. The Big Ten reiterated its position, and the rest was history.

The point here is that Notre Dame has portrayed after the fact the ACC was its desired destination, but it strongly flirted with the Big Ten looking for the same sort of partial membership. Obviously the additions of Rutgers and Maryland had quite a bit to do with that, as it gave an East coast presence Notre Dame was looking for. But nonetheless, it did absolutely go to the Big Ten with the hopes of getting the ACC type of deal.

Reaction Score
Once UNC is presented with the opportunity too good to pass up, and K retires, Duke will be left to fend for itself. That's a shame.

As long as the ACC is stable...which means that as long as UNC, UVA, CU, and FSU are happy...Carolina is not going anywhere.

Duke was good before K got there, and, as much as I hate to admit it, will be good after he leaves. They will not let their bread-and-butter basketball program rot away to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom