Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Conference, schmonference,,,FSU won two BCS championships (only Bama won three)....and has the nation's longest current bowl streak and the nation's longest current bowl winning streak....as well as the all time longest consecutive bowl win streak,

Recruiting,

And, I kind of think that FSU will be right in the picture this next season....

Reaction Score
I do not care where we play too much....I was mucho happy when we were independent.

My criteria are:

1...do we play on a national stage...many televised games...decent coverage...folks watching

2...do we have a shot at the NC if the team plays very well

3...is the recruiting enhanced or hindered by the conference played in

......with a NCAA record two year NFL draft record for 2012-13 and a three year record all but guaranteed, I like where we sit.

Mel Kiper has:

FSU as having the #2 2015 RB in the draft

the #1 WR

the #1 TE

the #1 OG

the #3 OG

the #1 QB

the #3 DT

#5 DE

#2 ILB

#1 CB

#2 CB

Reaction Score
Perhaps if we treat the word FSU as some form of profanity. Just like when I type cockpit it spits out rooster pit. Maybe typing FSU automatically changes it to Hello Kitty.

"Hello Kitty has the longest bowl winning streak. . .

Reaction Score
But....seriously...it is about the ability to recruit well...SEC can do this...FSU can do this...Texas should be able to do this...

Reaction Score
I forget...I am so singlemindedly a football guy...admittedly.

Reaction Score
We could be talking about lawnmowers and FSU would find its way into the conversation. I'm enabling the highjacking of this thread so I'm going to stop now. . .

Reaction Score
1) And yet the B1G places high value on both BC and GT (and UVa and UNC).

BC isn't on the Big Ten's radar. The only non-research institution that has a prayer of a chance of getting invited is Notre Dame. Yes, the Big Ten likes Georgia Tech because it's a research powerhouse, but liking them and taking the next step and offering a position assuming they can bring the money the conference hopes they'll bring are two VERY different things. The Big Ten likes GT. It's really not sure they'd be worth the money. Like I said, it's because not many people in Atlanta care.

2) Absolutely, Atlanta is a UGa town, and to a large extent, it is a "SEC" town; while not specifically a Tech town, Atlanta is also well represented by several ACC schools (though not as well as the rest of the SEC). If Delany thinks he can swoop into Atlanta and feed them "GT-Rutgers" or "GT-Northwestern" football and command high carriage fees for BTN, he is either a genuine, supremely confident magician or he is clinically insane.

Even in the reports that have stated the Big Ten *might* be interested in Tech, I have never seen one that implies the Big Ten thinks it could get high carriage fees for Georgia Tech. And that is exactly why I'm responding the way I did to your first point. They love Georgia Tech as an institution. It's a great school. But it doesn't make (dollars) sense.

3) Similar arguments for Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greenville-Spartanburg, Richmond. These cities have some B1G alums who watch their B1G events, These cities have loads of ACC alums who watch ACC events, and loads of SEC alums who watch SEC events. There are also numerous folks in these cities who just love the SEC.... and no, the B1G does not equal the SEC in their eyes. (and nor does the ACC equal the SEC in their eyes).

I think you'd have a hard time selling the notion that the SEC trumps the ACC in or north of Charlotte.

Yes, the B1G has the states of Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio which have a demographic crisis on their hands, as Mandel describes.

Yes, the B1G also has Nebraska and Pennsylvania in the footprint, but any local fandom there is just gravy to the B1G, as it is the national drawing power of Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan, and Ohio State where the B1G's fortune has lain (and will continue to lie).

Your and Mandel's use of the term "crisis" is pretty much sensationalism. Only one Big Ten state 'lost' population in the last census compared the one the before. That's hardly a crisis. The population shift has been something that's occurred slowly over the last 3-4 decades. That's hardly a "crisis." If it continues, then it could be projected to be an issue 30-50 years down the road. But honestly, no one has any clue what athletics might look like in three decades, so it's ridiculous to call it a crisis. Fact is, even the Big Ten states are growing. They're just not all growing at the same rate as some other states in the union.

Miami is a national brand who draw television viewers nationwide... just not locals into the stadium.

Local ratings still comprise a majority of viewers. If Miami isn't on top of its game, not a lot of people are watching. The locals certainly aren't and the fact is that is responsible for the lion's share of eyeballs.

Reaction Score
BC isn't on the Big Ten's radar. The only non-research institution that has a prayer of a chance of getting invited is Notre Dame. Yes, the Big Ten likes Georgia Tech because it's a research powerhouse, but liking them and taking the next step and offering a position assuming they can bring the money the conference hopes they'll bring are two VERY different things. The Big Ten likes GT. It's really not sure they'd be worth the money. Like I said, it's because not many people in Atlanta care.

Even in the reports that have stated the Big Ten *might* be interested in Tech, I have never seen one that implies the Big Ten thinks it could get high carriage fees for Georgia Tech. And that is exactly why I'm responding the way I did to your first point. They love Georgia Tech as an institution. It's a great school. But it doesn't make (dollars) sense.

I think you'd have a hard time selling the notion that the SEC trumps the ACC in or north of Charlotte.

Your and Mandel's use of the term "crisis" is pretty much sensationalism. Only one Big Ten state 'lost' population in the last census compared the one the before. That's hardly a crisis. The population shift has been something that's occurred slowly over the last 3-4 decades. That's hardly a "crisis." If it continues, then it could be projected to be an issue 30-50 years down the road. But honestly, no one has any clue what athletics might look like in three decades, so it's ridiculous to call it a crisis. Fact is, even the Big Ten states are growing. They're just not all growing at the same rate as some other states in the union.

Local ratings still comprise a majority of viewers. If Miami isn't on top of its game, not a lot of people are watching. The locals certainly aren't and the fact is that is responsible for the lion's share of eyeballs.
Finally some refreshing sanity here. Mandels article seemed like a rehash though sensationalized of stuff we've been over adnauseum! Nothing new there. I see some of these ACC posters seem to have a complex !?! I mean whose achieved less in the old P6 including the OBE in the BCS period? Yet there one team with any degree of respect(FSU) does 1 thing and they crow like they've never been there before as though it compensates for 10 tears of sub mediocrity!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Without a doubt the worst thing about college sports is the arguing amongst fans/media which conferences are better.

The most confusing part is why people have these arguments on a board about a team that isn't in any of the conferences they argue about.

Reaction Score
I see that folks do not get my point...it is not about repping FSU...

It is about whether a program can compete (even in the ACC)...or whether comparative conference talk is all that when it comes to an individual program.

Just how disadvantaged is a team like FSU by not playing in the Big Ten or SEC?

No doubt that the Big Ten brings in the moola. And has for some time with their huge fan bases.

The Big Ten has only won 2 Football National Championships since 1970,

The Big Ten has only won 1 Men's Basketball Championship in the past 25 years.

If...If the purpose of an athletic program is to win the mythical money title....Texas and the Big Ten teams will have it locked up for a decade or more.

Maybe the new measure for team success is:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Extra money

4. Exposure for the school to make more Money

5. Even more money to try and win mythical money title

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
billybud said:
Scale didn't help Ohio State in its loss to Clemson in the Orange Bowl...

When I went to Michigan's Big House, FSU seated 42,000...I was in awe of the 100,000 plus crowd....but that big school scale did nothing to prevent FSU from scoring 51 points on a team that went undefeated in the Big Ten that year.

Wisconsin brings in tens of more millions than does FSU...has it helped? The only time that the two have met was in a recent bowl and FSU won by 29.

It is about recruiting....if you have an advantageous recruiting situation, scale goes out of the window.

You know...Wake, in the past, has beaten the eventual Big Ten Champ....

Are we really talking about Clemson's bowl record as a positive? I mean it's a nice program, running down the hill, Howards Rock, and all that, but Clemsoning is still a well used phrase in CFB.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I see that folks do not get my point...it is not about repping FSU...

It is about whether a program can compete (even in the ACC)...or whether comparative conference talk is all that when it comes to an individual program.

Just how disadvantaged is a team like FSU by not playing in the Big Ten or SEC?

No doubt that the Big Ten brings in the moola. And has for some time with their huge fan bases.

The Big Ten has only won 2 Football National Championships since 1970,

The Big Ten has only won 1 Men's Basketball Championship in the past 25 years.

If...If the purpose of an athletic program is to win the mythical money title....Texas and the Big Ten teams will have it locked up for a decade or more.

Maybe the new measure for team success is:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Extra money

4. Exposure for the school to make more Money

5. Even more money to try and win mythical money title

What is the purpose of a football program to the following groups of people:

1. Students

2. Everyday fans

3. Alumni

4. Big donor alumni and fans

5. The schools themselves

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
What is the purpose of a football program to the following groups of people:

1. Students

2. Everyday fans

3. Alumni

4. Big donor alumni and fans

5. The schools themselves

By the way, FSU will only be disadvantaged by itself. They play in one of the most talent rich states and have a very strong traditional reputation. It really doesn't matter what P5 conference they play in as long as they have the right coach and don't get into too much trouble.

Reaction Score
I agree with your point...

If a team can recruit...a team can compete regardless of conference.

And, while it helps to sit in a national recruiting hotbed like Florida...teams now must go national.

Even FSU has their starting QB from Alabama, backup from Pennsylvania, starting OG from Georgia, other starting OG from New Jersey, a starting OT from Georgia, 2nd TE from New Jersey, starting DE's from Texas and Alabama, starting DT from Washington, DC, starting Safeties from Maryland and Georgia.

I think that a team like UConn or Rutgers can succeed on the big stage....but to do so they will have to successfully recruit nationally for great athletes.

Reaction Score
ND-game-sites.gif

ND agrees with the article. It has shifted its recruiting focus sharply to the Southeast.

There are no non-home ND games scheduled in the Midwest the next three seasons.

The Purdue game is a "Shamrock Series" ND home game moved to Indianapolis.

ND wants to play football games in the Southeast, Southwest and East Coast for recruiting exposure.

Besides these games, ND and Georgia are close to announcing a series.

The Big Ten is of no help to ND here, quite the opposite. That is one reason why ND doesn't mind jettisoning annual games against Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

It wants the flexibility to add more games in the South and West in lieu of Big Ten games.

Reaction Score
Are we reTanning"lking about Clemson's bowl record as a positive? I mean it's a nice program, running down the hill, Howards Rock, and all that, but Clemsoning is still a well used phrase in CFB.
It would seem more appropriate to use the phrase "Big Tenning", as there is a longer, more consistent behavior (spanning multiple schools under one umbrella) of spitting the bit on the big stage.

(But yes, Big Ten, you make more money than Clemson..oh wait, that makes the Big Ten look worse. Never mind.)

Reaction Score
View attachment 6228

ND agrees with the article. It has shifted its recruiting focus sharply to the Southeast.

There are no non-home ND games scheduled in the Midwest the next three seasons.

The Purdue game is a "Shamrock Series" ND home game moved to Indianapolis.

ND wants to play football games in the Southeast, Southwest and East Coast for recruiting exposure.

Besides these games, ND and Georgia are close to announcing a series.

The Big Ten is of no help to ND here, quite the opposite. That is one reason why ND doesn't mind jettisoning annual games against Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

It wants the flexibility to add more games in the South and West in lieu of Big Ten games.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-visitors-guide-to-our-board.59726/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom