OT: - Machado to the Padres 10 Yr/$300M | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Machado to the Padres 10 Yr/$300M

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep the risk here is how much he has slowed after the knee surgeries. Screams that he is a player that won’t age well - but even if he starts to decline at 31-32 on paper it’s a good deal.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If he was going to the Patriots' clubhouse, maybe you do the deal because the elders would straighten him out. But the Padres? Nearly $50,000 per at bat and over $185,000 per game for a guy who hustles when he deems it appropriate. This is a guy who's in it for himself and fans will tire of that pretty quickly when he's being paid that kind of money.

For those who think statistics are all that matter, the best he's ever done was 37 HR (one every 17 at bats) and 107 RBI last year and he's already in his prime years. Other than last year he never had a year with more than 96 RBI's and only matched the 37 home runs one other time. Do those stats make him a superstar worth stupid money?

"For those who think statistics are all that matter," home runs and RBI are unimportant stats. Try OPS and WAR.

Reaction Score
Wfan has been saying for a few days now Harper to the Phillies for the same. 10yrs for 300 mill. I follow the Phillies, my daughter lives there and we go to a few games great place to watch a game. They are trending up. Probably not good for the mets being in same division.

Reaction Score
Wfan has been saying for a few days now Harper to the Phillies for the same. 10yrs for 300 mill. I follow the Phillies, my daughter lives there and we go to a few games great place to watch a game. They are trending up. Probably not good for the mets being in same division.

Meh. I’m not afraid of Harper. He gags in the clutch. Master of the HR when they’re up 7-2.

Reaction Score
Work ethic? Explain. I've followed him very closely since being drafted. Buck and Orioles never questioned his work ethic or desire and you seem to forget prior to last year the Orioles were pretty good for a 4 year stretch

Save his 2 knee surgeries he's a better bet of fulfilling his contract than Harper and if he goes back to 3rd only nolan is better. If he played in Boston or NY he would have been baseball's biggest star after trout

Agreed. Nobody has ever questioned his work ethic.... He dogged it at times but the guy plays hard otherwise. I don't know where the work ethic theory came from.

People are killing this deal but he is only 26 years old... Cano is older right now than Machado will be when is contract ends. The Padres system is loaded with talent and if they buy an arm or 2 they could be contenders within the next 2-3 years.

The opt out clause is sort of a wild card in this one. Be interesting to see him and Tatis Jr. together in a year or 2.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Try having an argument with your girlfriend's dad as he claims that Mussina was better than Pedro because he had more wins. I was ready to funnel a bottle of Makers.

Ugh. You have to be kidding me.

I got excited from your use of advanced numbers in this thread...

Reaction Score
Ugh. You have to be kidding me.

I got excited from your use of advanced numbers in this thread...
Baseball is my favorite sport, and I can spend all day going down every statistical rabbit hole there is. The flip side of that is that it's so easy to get annoyed because there's a huge disconnect between perception and reality for so many fans.

the Q

Reaction Score
Baseball is my favorite sport, and I can spend all day going down every statistical rabbit hole there is. The flip side of that is that it's so easy to get annoyed because there's a huge disconnect between perception and reality for so many fans.

So true.

You are dangerously close to ruining my poster avatar....

the Q

Reaction Score
Biggest loser of this signing is Ian kindler.

Anyone want a kindler? Free?

Just take the contract

Reaction Score
Biggest loser of this signing is Ian kindler.

Anyone want a kindler? Free?

Just take the contract

I think Kinsler was signed to be a veteran presence on a team filled with youngsters. Doubt the Padres expect him to play more than 120 games a year. With Urias and Tatis up soon, the infield will be set for foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan I would rather have Harper, looks like he's also not in the cards though

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That article is supposed to prove your point?

Yeah - What's your beef with it?

Talking Yankees alone it had Giambi, Mussina, Tanaka, Jeter, CC, Arod (first deal) and they were all good to great contacts.

Ellsbury sucks, but everyone knew at the time that was a horrible deal.

Reaction Score
Every team in MLB could afford this contract. This is pretty much the same deal ARod got 18 years ago. Revenues have exploded but contracts have not. I would be ecstatic if my team made this deal, but we have the worst owners in MLB so we can not have nice things.

Reaction Score
As a Yanks kid.... happy about the move. No where near AL East.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
During the whole hustling is “not my cup of tea” thing during the playoffs, I was thinking about how Boston or NY writers would literally be chomping at the bit for his first slump to revive that narrative and turn the fans against him. It’s what sports media does in the northeast.

And what happens after you give the guy all he's worth, so he's not even playing for a contract anymore? Anybody with the kind of attitude is not going to suddenly bust his but even harder. Even with immense talent, It's quite literally the last kind of attitude you want in a guy on a winning ball club. You want guys who'll kill their best friend to win games.

Also, you gotta be really, really careful who you give 300 million dollar contracts to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yea crazy to pay a 26 year old superstar, top 5 player who plays some of the best 3rd base defense ever that money

Of course he's had questionable moments but the talent is unquestionably there

When you're doling out $300 million dollars, a guy has to tick every box.

Reaction Score
There's really no such thing as a bad deal in today's MLB. Teams are making so much money, even the low budget teams. Every single team in every single market can afford to spend up to the luxury cap and still make a profit. Most teams just won't. I love this for the Padres.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Try having an argument with your girlfriend's dad as he claims that Mussina was better than Pedro because he had more wins. I was ready to funnel a bottle of Makers.

i gave up trying to talk to people like that about baseball in like 2005 or so

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom