OT: - Machado to the Padres 10 Yr/$300M | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Machado to the Padres 10 Yr/$300M

Reaction Score
And what happens after you give the guy all he's worth, so he's not even playing for a contract anymore? Anybody with the kind of attitude is not going to suddenly bust his but even harder. Even with immense talent, It's quite literally the last kind of attitude you want in a guy on a winning ball club. You want guys who'll kill their best friend to win games.

Also, you gotta be really, really careful who you give 300 million dollar contracts to.

It was a routine groundball out. Every player pulls that except MM did it on the biggest stage. How would you take it if he busted his butt down the line in the regular season and broke his ankle like jason kendall or another freak injury one routine groundball out that you're out 99% of the time unless the fielder becomes chuck knoblauch for a second

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's really no such thing as a bad deal in today's MLB. Teams are making so much money, even the low budget teams. Every single team in every single market can afford to spend up to the luxury cap and still make a profit. Most teams just won't. I love this for the Padres.

The goal isn't just 'to make a profit'. It's to maximize profits. This is a business, first and foremost.

I challenged anyone to describe to me how the Pablo Sandoval deal wasn't a 'bad deal'.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's fair about NYC. I'm usually a believer in talent over anything in baseball though. I think that MLB free agency is broken and that's why CHW and SD were the only teams in on him, more so than anything else.

How? There's nothing stopping most teams from throwing their hat in the ring.

They deemed it not worth it at that amount of money and years. Probably right.

Reaction Score
The goal isn't just 'to make a profit'. It's to maximize profits. This is a business, first and foremost.

I challenged anyone to describe to me how the Pablo Sandoval deal wasn't a 'bad deal'.

Prince Fielder and chris Davis also

There is a fine line between maximizing profits and spending/ over spending on players to go for it

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was a routine groundball out. Every player pulls that except MM did it on the biggest stage. How would you take it if he busted his butt down the line in the regular season and broke his ankle like jason kendall or another freak injury one routine groundball out that you're out 99% of the time unless the fielder becomes chuck knoblauch for a second

I'd rather have a guy hustle 100% of the time. You can't predict what's going to happen, and I'm not sure that picking your spots when to hustle or not will lead to better overall outcomes. In sports, it's pretty difficult to turn the switch on and off, and still perform at your highest level (especially in the big moments). And one play could mean the difference to advancing or not, even though you wouldn't know it at the time.

I'm interested to see how he plays out this contract. If he ends up truly giving a crap or not. You just don't know how guys are going to react to big money.

But some of his comments would raise red flags for me. I like hyper competitive types, who'll try to get an edge in every single situation, but that's just me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

it’s broken because a third of the teams in the league dont try to compete

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

oh you are rooting for the owners. how fun.

i hope the cubs make more than the marlins this year

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Not for Machado.

I’ll take the over.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
oh you are rooting for the owners. how fun.

i hope the cubs make more than the marlins this year

Not really. Just describing why the owners don't throw money around willy nilly. Cause they're trying to make it, not spend it.

To whit, I don't give a flying @!#!$ about either the owners or the players in professional sports with regards to money. They all make way more than necessary in the grand scheme of things, so let em eat each other for all I care.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not for Machado.

I’ll take the over.

Well we'll see. I'm not sold on his desire after cashing in. Maybe he still has it, maybe he doesn't. A lot of guys mail it in after banking. Curious as to what happens with him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
it’s broken because a third of the teams in the league dont try to compete

Well, that's true. But that's not why the entire league wasn't bidding on him. There's plenty of well healed teams who could have thrown their hat in the ring. But didn't, for whatever reason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, that's true. But that's not why the entire league wasn't bidding on him. There's plenty of well healed teams who could have thrown their hat in the ring. But didn't, for whatever reason.

yeah its collusion

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There's really no such thing as a bad deal in today's MLB. Teams are making so much money, even the low budget teams. Every single team in every single market can afford to spend up to the luxury cap and still make a profit. Most teams just won't. I love this for the Padres.

I'll disagree. The cap this year is $206 million. As the Pirates' true finances were leaked a few years ago, it's pretty much agreed that owner Bob Nutting's B/E is currently between $150-$160 mill depending on gate. That doesn't excuse the current projected payroll of $75 million, but he couldn't double it and pocket much of anything (not counting one-time payoffs like MLBAM). Spending $200 mill would be a certain loss.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
yeah its collusion

It’s draconian tax penalties and no floor.

Cause the mlbpa did a horrible job

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why did the Padres break ranks? Why didn't somebody else?

relative to the cost of a marginal win the padres got a steal.

if you want to pretend that this isnt collusion... cool

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s draconian tax penalties and no floor.

Cause the mlbpa did a horrible job

yep they should strike tomorrow and trade a cap for a floor

Reaction Score
Glad he’s outta the league

What’s the over under in how many bench clearers or beanball wars he will incite in NL this season ?

Reaction Score
I'd rather have a guy hustle 100% of the time. You can't predict what's going to happen, and I'm not sure that picking your spots when to hustle or not will lead to better overall outcomes. In sports, it's pretty difficult to turn the switch on and off, and still perform at your highest level (especially in the big moments). And one play could mean the difference to advancing or not, even though you wouldn't know it at the time.

I'm interested to see how he plays out this contract. If he ends up truly giving a crap or not. You just don't know how guys are going to react to big money.

But some of his comments would raise red flags for me. I like hyper competitive types, who'll try to get an edge in every single situation, but that's just me.
I'd take a guy like Machado who occasionally jogs to 1st over a guy who hustles every time 100 times out of a 100. He has more talent in his pinky than 90% of baseball, and I'll pay that guy any time he wants to play for my team

Reaction Score
Dodgers will win the NL West by 8 games and the best two center fielders in baseball play in LA

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You don't find it odd that two of the top ten players in baseball hit free agency in their mid 20s, and there are only a few teams interested?

MLB is flush with cash. The owners just refuse to spend it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You don't find it odd that two of the top ten players in baseball hit free agency in their mid 20s, and there are only a few teams interested?

MLB is flush with cash. The owners just refuse to spend it.

I don't consider Harper a top 10 player. He's had one outstanding year and a bunch of decent ones, but nothing that suggests there would be a decent amount of surplus value over the term of his requested $300/10 deal. Machado, I'd give the money to, albeit reluctantly, if I needed someone on left side of IF.

Basically, Harper has provided >$30 mill value 2 seasons of 7. Machado has provided >$30 mill value 4 seasons out of 6.

If it were Trout was hitting FA and asking for $400 mill, I'm going to say there would be takers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't consider Harper a top 10 player. He's had one outstanding year and a bunch of decent ones, but nothing that suggests there would be a decent amount of surplus value over the term of his requested $300/10 deal. Machado, I'd give the money to, albeit reluctantly, if I needed someone on left side of IF.

Basically, Harper has provided >$30 mill value 2 seasons of 7. Machado has provided >$30 mill value 4 seasons out of 6.

If it were Trout was hitting FA and asking for $400 mill, I'm going to say there would be takers.

and did you see the news today his guys are already talking extension with angels. fa after 2020.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
and did you see the news today his guys are already talking extension with angels. fa after 2020.

$40 mill AAV. That's a guy who's worth it. Maybe Betts too, but not as confident there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom