MAC and CUSA Say No To UConn Football- Independence Is Next | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MAC and CUSA Say No To UConn Football- Independence Is Next

Reaction Score
How does UMass survive as an independent? We're basically in the same boat now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here we are speculating

There’s no way a major institution with a NEW president wings it. MAC? CUSA?? There’s a long term analysis & a 448 page report somewhere. I don’t know what the scheme is ... but it’s not these tidbits

Major project by a new UConn President

What inspires this confidence?

I think they are winging it and now have no leverage.

Reaction Score

I don't think its necessarily winging it - they've likely had discussions with SNY and FOX about UConn football being Independent (the worst case scenario) and have accepted that outcome. Obviously I think you have to try to make it into a conference, but they've accepted what will be if they can't.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I don’t think so, but this is exactly why the leak yesterday was a kick in the nuts. Having this come out drips and drabs makes us look incredibly bad as an institution. Have we announced it all at once it would’ve seemed more cohesive. If fox doesn’t use its influence to get us a decent independent schedule, we’re screwed. I have to believe, I just have to, that the administration isn’t so foolish as to make this leap without a safety net. We will know soon. But if this is the case I may jump on the whaler I hate Suzy Lax bandwagon.
The state (with its budget crisis) and our administration have made mistake after mistake. I see no reason to put faith in the state government (for funding purposes) or our administration to get us out of this mess.

Reaction Score
Independence is the end of the football program.
No, you're wrong. Independence would be a tough road, but what makes or breaks the football program in FBS is how well they play next two years. I suspect this upcoming year might be Edsalls last whether they play well or not. Bold move number one we now know, bold move number two next year.

C

Chief00

Independence is the end of the football program.
Under the circumstance I think it’s better than to be branded with a fourth rate conference. Have Fox help engineer some P5 home and away games with their conferences - along with regional games(BC, Cuse, UMass and Rutgers) and then some home and away pay games and it could be a very attractive schedule.
A fair question, does UConn possess the competence and creativity to pull this off? True, not much evidence to support that.

C

Chief00

Here we are speculating

There’s no way a major institution with a NEW president wings it. MAC? CUSA?? There’s a long term analysis & a 448 page report somewhere. I don’t know what the scheme is ... but it’s not these tidbits

Major project by a new UConn President

There has been an interest in doing this for some time, the kick in the pants came with the media contract. Suzy has an emotional reaction to that and DB did not like the numbers and then again she needed to repair her Presidential resume. Our basketball programs will be successful and she will point to this as a brilliant stroke when she interviews. The football part will be unspoken.

Reaction Score
What if someone from ESPN told uconn that the Aac will be losing members in 2 years and uconn isnt one of them? Wouldn't it be wise to jump ship now . We dont know what the reasoning behind the decision was, its possible there were circumstances behind this.

Reaction Score
Extremely foolish move by your president and big money donors. There is no reason to believe that UConn football couldn't be competitive in the AAC. You drop off was solely because of bad coaching hires, the correct hire could have you back competing at the top of the ACC in as little as 2-3 years. Just look at UAB being brought back from the dead for example.
There is no reason to believe that UConn football couldn't be competitive in the AAC other than them never being competitive in the AAC and having the worst team in the country last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Under the circumstance I think it’s better than to be branded with a fourth rate conference. Have Fox help engineer some P5 home and away games with their conferences - along with regional games(BC, Cuse, UMass and Rutgers) and then some home and away pay games and it could be a very attractive schedule.
A fair question, does UConn possess the competence and creativity to pull this off? True, not much evidence to support that.

Why would Fox help UConn schedule? Do you really think they want to broadcast a game between one of their schools and some dinky independent? (Spoilers...they don't.)

UConn will play a bunch of contract massacres and former Yankee Conference teams early season, go through their mini-conference of UMass, Liberty and Army and then stuff a bunch of games with transitional programs or hurricane makeup games for the rest of the year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fox could totally save this for us. Get us some decent games and televise them and if give us a chance. Of course the thing with visibility is it shows exactly how good, or how bad, you actually are. Football's performance will shape how this perceived. The narrative can be one of a power move or one of concession.

Reaction Score

Shrug

Because I’ve been around major educational institutions. Because this is normal behavior at the beginning of an administration (do I have to cite examples). The timing isn’t random.

C

Chief00

Why would Fox help UConn schedule? Do you really think they want to broadcast a game between one of their schools and some dinky independent? (Spoilers...they don't.)

UConn will play a bunch of contract massacres and former Yankee Conference teams early season, go through their mini-conference of UMass, Liberty and Army and then stuff a bunch of games with transitional programs or hurricane makeup games for the rest of the year.
They wanted us in the NBE and have $500 million invested in that. But, granted it’s unclear how far they will go to help.

Reaction Score
I guarantee one thing for sure: the College Athletics landscape won’t look the same by 2026. Particularly Football

With some acknowledgement to a days worth of angst and bias, I believe UCF and USF (maybe packaged) would move. Houston too. Memphis & Cincinnati are more questionable

While I received a snappy bite yesterday ... the truth is Universities of some stature have far more expansive dreams. The ones you never thought of ... but they are State U. We are better having a core regional schedule and hope that develops into a conversation then into a conference. Yes. Dollars being spent on some campuses are eye opening. And they’re not settling for FCS status not TV experience nor Brand.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

Just like the Big East isn't happening.. Arrogant clown , message board tough guy .

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guarantee one thing for sure: the College Athletics landscape won’t look the same by 2026. Particularly Football

UConn has made the decision not to be part of that landscape. You like to spin these lofty visions about Stony Brook and Albany and whoever else - but the landscape is moving away from them, not towards them.

Reaction Score
UConn has made the decision not to be part of that landscape. You like to spin these lofty visions about Stony Brook and Albany and whoever else - but the landscape is moving away from them, not towards them.

What exactly did you get out of yesterday?

Reaction Score
Maybe we can schedule some games at Marist soon?

Reaction Score
They spend every waking moment hoping to get into the conference we just left.
Thats because its a major step up for them, both in football and basketball.

Reaction Score
That we'd rather be Villanova because we lack the will to try to be Virginia.

We lack the regional specific long term traditional conference. Like Virginia

We are a Robust State U like Virginia. But when the decision point came ... UVA partners chose to crawl with Louisville & even VaTech who they wanted no part of

Yes. I think we are gonna be happier going to MSG. Play Villanova. Play Georgetown. Play Providence.

But fish out of water (see what I did there) often creates conflict - we are one of a kind in that Big East.

We do need a Dave Gavitt.

I won’t bite on your crapping on me - I just see ambitions amongst like minded football playing schools. And the MAC & CUSA & CAA & SunBelt aren’t a good fit. I have no idea on the future of TV money

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom