MAC and CUSA Say No To UConn Football- Independence Is Next | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MAC and CUSA Say No To UConn Football- Independence Is Next

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UMass’ 2019 schedule is not that much worse than UConn’s. Get 6 home games and really 1 it’s not that bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That we'd rather be Villanova because we lack the will to try to be Virginia.

I don’t mean this to pick a fight - but ‘we’ is tough from people that don’t live here.

The path to Virginia is billions in investments in the state - come carry the load with those of us paying 6+% and watching the future value of our homes head towards zero with a debt that can’t be met.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
These conferences probably don’t want schools that always have one foot out the door. However, I don’t necessarily believe these conferences don’t want UConn. That seems a little sketchy to me. If I was playing a MAC or CUSA schedule, I would definitely want UConn or another similar school.

Maybe our old pal Skip Holtz will help us get into C-USA. Think about this: Bob Diaco returns to PAWS-ARF every other year. I think we could raise considerable money for the buy-in just to make that happen.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I don’t think so, but this is exactly why the leak yesterday was a kick in the nuts. Having this come out drips and drabs makes us look incredibly bad as an institution. Have we announced it all at once it would’ve seemed more cohesive. If fox doesn’t use its influence to get us a decent independent schedule, we’re screwed. I have to believe, I just have to, that the administration isn’t so foolish as to make this leap without a safety net. We will know soon. But if this is the case I may jump on the whaler I hate Suzy Lax bandwagon.

You better jump fast, CL. Except for the BB only fans, that bandwagon is filling up fast. It's careening down a steep cliff on its way toward Armageddon.

Reaction Score
The MAC is d-2 level. Seriously most games have a few thousand fans. They average buying over 10k tickets per game just to be in FBS.

There is no upside for UConn or the MAC in that situation.

UConn can make some $ for a couple of years playing road p-5 games but beyond that the likely destination is FCS. Indy won't work for Umass, NMSU, Idaho, or UConn IMO. BYU is making it work, and Liberty is going to get a shot because they have the $.

I suspect Liberty brass is offering a nice check for AAC membership. Would they turn down a few million per team as an entry fee. I guess we shall see as I have no doubt they would pay the FB members to join.
Do we have more than a few thousand fans?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You better jump fast, CL. Except for the BB only fans, that bandwagon is filling up fast. It's careening down a steep cliff on its way toward Armageddon.
I'll tell you I wish I could help establish the narrative. We can come out looking good as the team that favored regionality over chasing money or as a school that tried to run with the big boys and failed. The presser will go a long way in determining which way it breaks.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
No, you're wrong. Independence would be a tough road, but what makes or breaks the football program in FBS is how well they play next two years. I suspect this upcoming year might be Edsalls last whether they play well or not. Bold move number one we now know, bold move number two next year.

How the heck would we be able to hire any decent coach as an Independent? If that's the plan it sucks.

Actually, if they just blindsided Randy with this mess, I'd expect him to be leaving on his own way sooner than next year.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I'll tell you I wish I could help establish the narrative. We can come out looking good as the team that favored regionality over chasing money or as a school that tried to run with the big boys and failed. The presser will go a long way in determining which way it breaks.

Or there's another possibility. We come off looking like a spoiled little brat that threw a temper tantrum when the big, bad AAC ignored us and wouldn't let us keep all of our toys.

I think the quote from Herbst after the AAC media deal snub said it all. She specifically referenced the ESPN+ thing by saying UCONN fans are used to gathering at sports bars and other spots to watch Husky games all over the country.

Could this whole thing be the result of something described pretty aptly by a cliche?

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
What if someone from ESPN told uconn that the Aac will be losing members in 2 years and uconn isnt one of them? Wouldn't it be wise to jump ship now . We dont know what the reasoning behind the decision was, its possible there were circumstances behind this.

Fine. If so, let's hear what they are.

Contrary to some popular belief, the AAC schools were all evaluated by the B12, and none of them were deemed worthy of inclusion. Yes, those circumstances could change, but even if they do, it won't be anytime soon. If the B12 wanted nothing to do with those teams, as the generally perceived weakest P5 league, then none of the other P5's would take any of them either.

Reaction Score
No one was good enough for the B12 because the B12 has a bloated contract. Only about 12 schools at the very most would have been justifiable.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
UMass’ 2019 schedule is not that much worse than UConn’s. Get 6 home games and really 1 it’s not that bad.

I just don't see how we get six home games consistently? Home and homes with the fellow independents (maybe) and then we have to sell ourselves to get our asses kicked for 2-3 away games and then which FBS teams in an actual conference will come to our house?

Reaction Score
I just don't see how we get six home games consistently? Home and homes with the fellow independents (maybe) and then we have to sell ourselves to get our asses kicked for 2-3 away games and then which FBS teams in an actual conference will come to our house?
We have at least one P5 home game every year through 2023. There are 4 independents we should be playing every year, so 2 home games for those. Then 2 buy games from local FCS gives 5. We need to find one FBS home game a year until 2023. That's doable.

In 2023 we have two P5 home games, would be a good year to go away as part of a 2-for-1 with a P5

C

Chief00

paying 6+% and watching the future value of our homes head towards zero with a debt that can’t be met.
No argument in regards to your description of CT ........but “we” keep on electing people, who continue the policies that put us in this position.

C

Chief00

Or there's another possibility. We come off looking like a spoiled little brat that threw a temper tantrum when the big, bad AAC ignored us and wouldn't let us keep all of our toys.

I think the quote from Herbst after the AAC media deal snub said it all. She specifically referenced the ESPN+ thing by saying UCONN fans are used to gathering at sports bars and other spots to watch Husky games all over the country.

Could this whole thing be the result of something described pretty aptly by a cliche?

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

I think that explains a lot but she also has gotten tacit green light from the BOT to do this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No argument in regards to your description of CT ...but “we” keep on electing people, who continue the policies that put us in this position.

whatever we did wrong was in the past. the budget is worse off than uconn football

C

Chief00

If all else fails, we are good Wednesday’s 8pm to 2am.
F5998102-A3CC-4D64-9894-70C06DB56B3D.jpeg

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
How the heck would we be able to hire any decent coach as an Independent? If that's the plan it sucks.

Actually, if they just blindsided Randy with this mess, I'd expect him to be leaving on his own way sooner than next year.
Where is Randy off to????

Reaction Score
assuming aac poaches a team from cusa or mac that conference will have to find a replacement

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom