MAC and CUSA Say No To UConn Football- Independence Is Next | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MAC and CUSA Say No To UConn Football- Independence Is Next

Reaction Score
Extremely foolish move by your president and big money donors. There is no reason to believe that UConn football couldn't be competitive in the AAC. You drop off was solely because of bad coaching hires, the correct hire could have you back competing at the top of the ACC in as little as 2-3 years. Just look at UAB being brought back from the dead for example.

As a former (15+ years) resident of the Hartford area, I wish UConn the best. I’ll miss having arguments/bets with my many UConn friends. Good People.

Your leaders made the right decision because UConn would NEVER be able to field a consistently good team in the AAC. Why? Recruiting matters and Uconn is at a crippling disadvantage. There simply is not enough talent in New England (after the P5 teams skim the cream of the crop) for UConn to compete with AAC.

1) according to 247Sports rankings, Uconn ranked dead last in the AAC in recruiting for 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019. UConn was 10th in 2017. UConn’s composition score in 2019 would have placed it behind the University of North Texas, UT San Antonio, UT El Paso and UT El Paso.

Why?

2) Texas HS football is 20 years ahead of Connecticut HS football. The coaching is better, the competition is better and the facilities are better. Example: the high school my children will attend has an indoor practice facility. Our JV team would probably win the state title in Connecticut’s highest division 8 times out of 10. Every year, there will be more FBS players coming out of the Dallas/ Ft Worth area than CT, RI, NH, VT and Maine combined.

Good luck to you. You really should go to the FCS and win championships. Suffering like UMass is for the birds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a former (15+ years) resident of the Hartford area, I wish UConn the best. I’ll miss having arguments/bets with my many UConn friends. Good People.

Your leaders made the right decision because UConn would NEVER be able to field a consistently good team in the AAC. Why? Recruiting matters and Uconn is at a crippling disadvantage. There simply is not enough talent in New England (after the P5 teams skim the cream of the crop) for UConn to compete with AAC.

1) according to 247Sports rankings, Uconn ranked dead last in the AAC in recruiting for 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019. UConn was 10th in 2017. UConn’s composition score in 2019 would have placed it behind the University of North Texas, UT San Antonio, UT El Paso and UT El Paso.

Why?

2) Texas HS football is 20 years ahead of Connecticut HS football. The coaching is better, the competition is better and the facilities are better. Example: the high school my children will attend has an indoor practice facility. Our JV team would probably win the state title in Connecticut’s highest division 8 times out of 10. Every year, there will be more FBS players coming out of the Dallas/ Ft Worth area than CT, RI, NH, VT and Maine combined.

Good luck to you. You really should go to the FCS and win championships. Suffering like UMass is for the birds.

It’s a horse Crap argument

Thank you for your interest In UConn Athletics

Reaction Score
It’s a horse Crap argument

Thank you for your interest In UConn Athletics

What part?

If you want to field a competitive team, where are you going to get the recruits to make it happen? Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania???

Reaction Score

Why?

Stupid argument. The same factors worked against us in the Big East and it didn’t stop us.

Poor coaching hires crippled this program. The

Reaction Score

If there isn't enough talent, how did UConn have 24 players make NFL rosters at the same time several years ago?

That was more than half the P5 teams.

Reaction Score
What part?

If you want to field a competitive team, where are you going to get the recruits to make it happen? Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania???

New Canaan has 2 kids on TCU, a QB committed to Notre Dame, and a 2nd round pick to the Cardinals in Zach Allen. Darien is stacked too. I’d start with Fairfield County in recruiting

Reaction Score
New Canaan has 2 kids on TCU, a QB committed to Notre Dame, and a 2nd round pick to the Cardinals in Zach Allen. Darien is stacked too. I’d start with Fairfield County in recruiting

Years ago, we used to frequently list to that decades of data study that showed Connecticut and Massachusetts were actually in the 4th tier of states producing talent (i.e. 30th - 40th), on par with places like Wisconsin and Washington, ahead of places like New York and Iowa, behind places like Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

UConn recruited Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey. Some Maryland and Florida mixed in. A lot of those Florida kids actually ended up in the NFL, so did about 10 Connecticut kids.

Besides beating all the old BE teams and having winning records against Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville, UConn had wins over Notre Dame, South Carolina, Indiana, Iowa St., Virginia, Baylor, etc. in the years it had talent.

Reaction Score
Tarik Black, Ben Mason, and Andrew Stueber all went to Michigan. AJ Dillion to BC. The big kid from Newtown (offensive lineman) that went to BYU, can't remember his name. Taisun Phommachanh went to Clemson. They're all over the place. UCONN just never had
a coach that the big in state stars wanted to play for. Just a couple exceptions to the rule....Orlovsky, Rose, Lutrus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We used to be really strong because we recruited well from places like Florida and Pennsylvania.

And many of those kids went to the NFL even though they were either not rated or 2 star types.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Why?

That's why Temple is having a lot of success. Same part of the country, same P5's skimming the top talent, same geographic outlier in the AAC, yet they're managing to be successful and have won an AAC title.

With the right leadership and commitment, and hiring good coaches, UCONN could have done the same thing. It's far from impossible, and nobody in FBS recruits only from their local region.

Reaction Score
That's why Temple is having a lot of success. Same part of the country, same P5's skimming the top talent, same geographic outlier in the AAC, yet they're managing to be successful and have won an AAC title.

With the right leadership and commitment, and hiring good coaches, UCONN could have done the same thing. It's far from impossible, and nobody in FBS recruits only from their local region.

Temple was garbage at one point. They started a rebuild with Al Golden and never lost grip. They started as a Big East reject, then went independent and clawed their way back in the MAC.

UConn is giving up too easily. Independent football will be so miserable that in a few years they can kill the program with little protest.

Reaction Score
Stupid argument. The same factors worked against us in the Big East and it didn’t stop us.

Poor coaching hires crippled this program. The

When you were in the Big East, you could recruit against BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland,etc on somewhat even terms. Moving to the AAC killed your recruiting.

AAC schools in Texas and Florida face the same reality. But, there are hundreds of players in Texas and Florida who will get FCS scholarships. You guys are getting the players out of Texas and Florida that other AAC (and often CUSA) schools don’t prioritize.

Look at these players offer lists.

(Remember, some offers are not commitable)

Reaction Score
When you were in the Big East, you could recruit against BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland,etc on somewhat even terms. Moving to the AAC killed your recruiting.

AAC schools in Texas and Florida face the same reality. But, there are hundreds of players in Texas and Florida who will get FCS scholarships. You guys are getting the players out of Texas and Florida that other AAC (and often CUSA) schools don’t prioritize.

You realize that Harris is a CT kid who committed to UConn then had to hit the JUCO route to shore up academics but remained committed to UConn throughout? Go look @ his high school profile.

Reaction Score

This is so wrong.

UConn's recruiting improved by the #s and scouting services when it moved to the AAC.

What didn't improve was the coaching and the development.

UConn recruited at the bottom of the old Big East, and yet had 24 NFL players at the same time several years ago.

With Pasqualoni and Diaco, we started recruiting more 3 stars, who never amounted to anything (most of them anyway), whereas before we recruited a lot of 2 star kids with no other D1 offer, and several of these guys are in the NFL. Indy Colts Darius Butler (no D1 offer), KC Chiefs Anthony Sherman (ditto), Dallas Cowboys Byron Jones (ditto), Oakland Raiders Tyvon Branch (ditto), Philly Eagles Will Beatty (ditto), SD Chargers Kendall Reyes (ditto). None of these guys were offered by school other than UConn. The staff saw talent, developed it, and they ended up as high draft choices, and they stuck in the NFL for many years.

UConn went to the AAC, started landing higher in the recruiting rankings, consistently, but the poor eye for talent, the poor development, and the losses, destroyed the program.

This was never about a lack of talent in the northeast. Nor was it about fan enthusiasm.

Ask southern teams who visited UConn what it was like during the 2000s. Lack of enthusiasm or lack of talent was not the problem.

Reaction Score
Extremely foolish move by your president and big money donors. There is no reason to believe that UConn football couldn't be competitive in the AAC. You drop off was solely because of bad coaching hires, the correct hire could have you back competing at the top of the ACC in as little as 2-3 years. Just look at UAB being brought back from the dead for example.
Crazy start times on different days was the kiss of death. New England football needs to be played at 1 pm on Saturday afternoons.

Reaction Score
People are so clueless. UConn has done more in football than SMU has since the 70’s when they gave recruits houses and Cadillacs. Everyone has an opinion why we shouldn’t try. I’ll say it again, they fear us. We win at the major sports. These schools pushing us out of FBS because we can’t compete, can’t compete either. The only difference is we’ve been to the Fiesta Bowl, won Big East titles, consistently sold out our stadium and won like 14 national championships in basketball since they’ve last had a 9 win football season. Don’t stand for it. UConn needs to create the narrative and they’d better start ASAP. This is ridiculous. SMU fan telling us why we can’t be big time. Lol. Loser school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
anyone else surprised that #SaveTheCivilConFLiCT is not trending nationwide?

Reaction Score
Agree that the narrative ct is doomed is ridiculous! Uphill no doubt ! But a number of fans like myself ( proudly! ) went to games on campus and have had tickets at the rent since day 1. Those of us that stayed til the gun every game urge you to come back. The atmosphere of a fillled stadium yellling loudly sure beats hanging out at home watching TV games from around the country. BY THE WAY, with DVR if you want you can watch those too , when you get home. So get out of your chairs Ct. come out with a few friends or make new ones !

Reaction Score
People are so clueless. UConn has done more in football than SMU has since the 70’s when they gave recruits houses and Cadillacs. Everyone has an opinion why we shouldn’t try. I’ll say it again, they fear us. We win at the major sports. These schools pushing us out of FBS because we can’t compete, can’t compete either. The only difference is we’ve been to the Fiesta Bowl, won Big East titles, consistently sold out our stadium and won like 14 national championships in basketball since they’ve last had a 9 win football season. Don’t stand for it. UConn needs to create the narrative and they’d better start ASAP. This is ridiculous. SMU fan telling us why we can’t be big time. Lol. Loser school.

I agree that uConn did a good job in the Big East. Furthermore, I am disappointed that you got screwed out of your rightful place in the ACC. Plus, Maryland and Rutgers got B10 spots - #wtf You guys had better FB and BB programs than either of them.

But the fact remains that your recruiting in the AAC has been atrocious and has been getting worse. Don’t look at the stars, look at the offers your recruits had and check if their “good” offers were committable. Better coaching can’t fix huge talent gaps.

Good luck. I really am a UConn fan. I hope you kill it in the Big East and I hope your FB team finds a good home. Uconn deserved better than it got from realignment. Of all the school impacted by it, you got dealt the worst blow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom