Votes: 69 80.2%
  • Louisville

Votes: 17 19.8%

• Total voters

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What? You mean dunking is LEGAL now??

Strange but, true. And have you heard about the implementation of a 3-pt. shot? Scandalous! ;)

Reaction Score
I wish I had the video of Arike on the floor during the Oregon State vs ND game in Vancouver. Arike likes to grapple on the floor.

Reaction Score
I wish I had the video of Arike on the floor during the Oregon State vs ND game in Vancouver. Arike likes to grapple on the floor.
I seen that play live during the game. That was looked more serious than this one. I think the thing that urked her were the other Louisville players moving her foot for her. She spun towards her teammates to help her up, and Carter was dodging out of the way. One more second later I think they would have not been each other's way. Of course she did make a kicking motion, but didn't connect. I don't think she was trying to kick her, it isn't hard to kick someone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pretty underwhelming game IMO that had some good moments. Durr was spectacular in the first half, Arike countered in the second and finished the game incredibly strong, scoring the last 10+ points for Notre Dame and hitting huge shot after huge shot. I know she's not popular on here, but she elevates her game in crunch time better than anyone in the country.

Notre Dame is tough, but they are very beatable if you have quick guards who can score. The Turner/Shepard situation still doesn't look very smooth...I think Shepard is a better low post player offensively with her great hands and ability to finish inside, but Turner is better in transition and is obviously a much better defender.

The reffing was quite bad much of the game. Some bad calls that went against Louisville, although I think Notre Dame was clearly the more aggressive team which earned them the calls. I don't think it was the difference in the game, but it's fair to gripe about.

I haven't read the thread, but in regards to the scuffle I don't think there's any foul play there. Arike was swinging her legs around to get up, Carter just saw a foot near her face and made sure it didn't hit her, Arike didn't see why her feet were being grabbed and tried to kick her leg free. If she wanted to kick her, she would've kicked her.

Hoping these two meet again for the ACC Tournament Championship. Both should be in contention for a #1 seed come tournament time.

Reaction Score
Pretty underwhelming game IMO that had some good moments. Durr was spectacular in the first half, Arike countered in the second and finished the game incredibly strong, scoring the last 10+ points for Notre Dame and hitting huge shot after huge shot. I know she's not popular on here, but she elevates her game in crunch time better than anyone in the country.

Notre Dame is tough, but they are very beatable if you have quick guards who can score. The Turner/Shepard situation still doesn't look very smooth...I think Shepard is a better low post player offensively with her great hands and ability to finish inside, but Turner is better in transition and is obviously a much better defender.

The reffing was quite bad much of the game. Some bad calls that went against Louisville, although I think Notre Dame was clearly the more aggressive team which earned them the calls. I don't think it was the difference in the game, but it's fair to gripe about.

I haven't read the thread, but in regards to the scuffle I don't think there's any foul play there. Arike was swinging her legs around to get up, Carter just saw a foot near her face and made sure it didn't hit her, Arike didn't see why her feet were being grabbed and tried to kick her leg free. If she wanted to kick her, she would've kicked her.

Hoping these two meet again for the ACC Tournament Championship. Both should be in contention for a #1 seed come tournament time.
ND I felt could’ve played a better game in some aspects. Like the turnovers just some bad decisions and some of the turnovers were like traveling and stuff. That shouldn’t be happening. Shepard and Mabrey had a quiet night Points wise. Even tho Shepard was big time when it came to rebounding.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
ND I felt could’ve played a better game in some aspects. Like the turnovers just some bad decisions and some of the turnovers were like traveling and stuff. That shouldn’t be happening. Shepard and Mabrey had a quiet night Points wise. Even tho Shepard was big time when it came to rebounding.

Agreed. Was a sloppier game than usual for the Irish. Mabrey struggles against smaller quicker guards and tonight was no different. I personally think Young should take over PG duties for the team offensively and let Marina be a wing. Young is a better ball handler and is more of a calming presence than Marina in games like this and seems to take the PG reigns more frequently than Marina in big games.

Shepard was a beast with rebounding but I wish we'd see more of her on the low block like we saw in the Final Four last year. She more than held her own going up against Hebard, Stevens, Collier and McCowan in the biggest games. I think Notre Dame would be better with her on the block rather than Turner even though Turner obviously has her strengths.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Was a sloppier game than usual for the Irish. Mabrey struggles against smaller quicker guards and tonight was no different. I personally think Young should take over PG duties for the team offensively and let Marina be a wing. Young is a better ball handler and is more of a calming presence than Marina in games like this and seems to take the PG reigns more frequently than Marina in big games.

Shepard was a beast with rebounding but I wish we'd see more of her on the low block like we saw in the Final Four last year. She more than held her own going up against Hebard, Stevens, Collier and McCowan in the biggest games. I think Notre Dame would be better with her on the block rather than Turner even though Turner obviously has her strengths.
Muffet said tonight She wanted to feed it more to Turner which they did tonight. Sometimes Shepard will be down low. Young took over in the 2nd half at the PG. I think Young may just be more natural at it. Even tho Marina tries hard and can have her good games with it. But her more natural place is being a shooting guard. I think Bri’s Offensive game can be a little overlooked she’s pretty athletic she can more then hold her own offensively. But where she does her best work is on defense I feel she’s quicker then people think also. She went out to guard some Louisville Guards and held her own. Shepard is great down low also. It makes it tough. But both are also pretty good passers. I feel the dynamic has been getting better. But against certain defenses when you’re driving more it doesn’t look as good when their passing it more and really passing it inside and things it looks much better. I will say they looked much better today then against UCONN. Also missed less bunnies. Bri also had some good shots that were contested a couple feet out from the basket.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Say what you want about Arike being a dirty player which she is but she is very clutch and dangerous. She can be bad for 3 Q and just turn it up when the game is on the line, Her consecutive 3 pt an 2 pt contested shots in the 4th Q when Louisville was within 2 iced the game. Put the lead at 7 and allowed me to watch KY flush Tenn :)

By the way, what is the deal with Mabrey, she looks awful, I know she is coming back from injury but she seems a shell of her former self.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I can't even read this thread right now, and it is the morning after. Our shots were not falling. Carter is over a 50% 3ball shooter, and had a terrible shooting night. If we hit our shots, this was a totally different game.

That being said, the foul discrepancy was just unfathomable. There is just no way we were fouling that much, and ND not. I am not blaming the refs for us losing, we did that with our poor shooting. However, they adversely affected the game due to this. The kicking from AO, I see it different than the refs. Given the antics she often displays in close, high profile games, she doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here. The unsportsmanlike foul on Dunham late in the 4Q, where Turner falls down. You have got to be kidding me?! I just can't with these refs.

My silver linings: We can, and did, compete with the #1 team in the country. We can, and will, do it again. Freshman Mykassa Robinson grew up before our eyes last night. She played a stellar 12 minutes. Bianca Dunham, who was expected to be a roll player, not ranked coming out of high school, and only started playing ball as a 11th grader (from Philly) has ben huge for us with Diop going down with an ACL tear. She normally makes those shots, hooks and long stretching layups in the paint. I am so pleased with her growth and development.

The worst part of this loss is that it makes capturing the ACC title nearly impossible, unless ND has some slips along the way. Starting next season we will have ND home and away with league game expansion. I look forward to it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Morning Gang.

Thought I'd pass along a link to and some points I gathered from MM's post-game presser last night.

Want to start with one that mentions the UConn Huskies:

- While I don't recall the exact question, someone asked about whether there is a way to make "1 vs. 2" any easier, MM cracked, "Not playing Connecticut." Got a good laugh.
(my input: As UConnCat pointed out, that doesn't happen very often...)

- MM hought it was a good (maybe even great) game from a hoops perspective. Still, just a game in January.
(My thought: That's coach talk. But it was a good win for seeding purposes, both in ACC and NCAA tourneys)

- Gave credit to Louisville for playing tough man-to-man defense and thought that a solid man-to-man often leads to cutting down on making passes. "Got to put the ball on the floor" when that happens. That helped lead to lower assists and, in part, to higher turnovers.

Still, MM was upset at turnovers, particularly the offensive fouls and travels.
(The ball pressure is probably one reason why Jackie Young, rather than Mabrey, was bringing the ball up so much in the second half.)

- She mentioned Durr by name twice in the presser, so there's a development :rolleyes:. Actually, she gave Durr big kudos for her first half offensive breakout.

- MM hadn't known that former Irish center Ruth Riley was named a finalist for the Women's Collegiate Hall of Fame. She was genuinely happy and touched for Ruth. Lot of respect and affection between those two.
(Riley is the original gold standard for this Irish fan. Class act.)

- Was really happy with back-up center Mik Vaughn's performance and impressed with her rebounding (8 in what, 4 minutes?). Said she needs to get her more minutes.
(Totally agree and I thought Dani Patterson. also played very good defense during ND's third quarter run. Vaughn and Patterson's current issue is they play behind Shepard and Turner. Next year is another story...still, it would be good to get them floor time. )

- For you fashionistas, that Green Scarf is her lucky scarf.

- MM brought up that they were trying to get the ball to Turner a lot. (I noticed in this BY thread a lot of folks wondering why Shepard does not get the ball more. Turner implied that she was cutting on a lot of "off-screens" and making hard-cuts to the basket, presumably against Shook or Fuehring. Maybe MM thought there was a speed differential there?
However, if that's the case, Turner has to improve her foul shooting to justify getting the passes. She was horrible last night.

| Post-Game Press Conference vs. Louisville (2019)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This may have been mentioned previously in this thread. Louisville has just about everyone back from last season’s FF team, but it is clear that they dearly miss Hines-Allen. The Irish dominated the Cardinals on the glass, and Louisville clearly did not have a consistent #2 scorer after Durr.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Couldnt watch the entire game only the first half. This morning looking at the box score and one thing that stuck out. ND went to the line 39 times in a game that was close in the 4th qtr. 39 times. In the FF last season the same thing. ND is beatable. Then I looked at the Tenn KY game and the same thing only KY won. How does Tenn get to the line that much more when they are loosing or in a close game. I remember the ole games CT Tenn. It happened to much. I see it now with ND.

Reaction Score
I can't even read this thread right now, and it is the morning after. Our shots were not falling. Carter is over a 50% 3ball shooter, and had a terrible shooting night. If we hit our shots, this was a totally different game.

That being said, the foul discrepancy was just unfathomable. There is just no way we were fouling that much, and ND not. I am not blaming the refs for us losing, we did that with our poor shooting. However, they adversely affected the game due to this. The kicking from AO, I see it different than the refs. Given the antics she often displays in close, high profile games, she doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here. The unsportsmanlike foul on Dunham late in the 4Q, where Turner falls down. You have got to be kidding me?! I just can't with these refs.

My silver linings: We can, and did, compete with the #1 team in the country. We can, and will, do it again. Freshman Mykassa Robinson grew up before our eyes last night. She played a stellar 12 minutes. Bianca Dunham, who was expected to be a roll player, not ranked coming out of high school, and only started playing ball as a 11th grader (from Philly) has ben huge for us with Diop going down with an ACL tear. She normally makes those shots, hooks and long stretching layups in the paint. I am so pleased with her growth and development.

The worst part of this loss is that it makes capturing the ACC title nearly impossible, unless ND has some slips along the way. Starting next season we will have ND home and away with league game expansion. I look forward to it.

The refs seem to always have green and white stripes when they do an ND game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Morning Gang.

Thought I'd pass along a link to and some points I gathered from MM's post-game presser last night.

Want to start with one that mentions the UConn Huskies:

- While I don't recall the exact question, someone asked about whether there is a way to make "1 vs. 2" any easier, MM cracked, "Not playing Connecticut." Got a good laugh.
(my input: As UConnCat pointed out, that doesn't happen very often...)

- MM hought it was a good (maybe even great) game from a hoops perspective. Still, just a game in January.
(My thought: That's coach talk. But it was a good win for seeding purposes, both in ACC and NCAA tourneys)

- Gave credit to Louisville for playing tough man-to-man defense and thought that a solid man-to-man often leads to cutting down on making passes. "Got to put the ball on the floor" when that happens. That helped lead to lower assists and, in part, to higher turnovers.

Still, MM was upset at turnovers, particularly the offensive fouls and travels.
(The ball pressure is probably one reason why Jackie Young, rather than Mabrey, was bringing the ball up so much in the second half.)

- She mentioned Durr by name twice in the presser, so there's a development :rolleyes:. Actually, she gave Durr big kudos for her first half offensive breakout.

- MM hadn't known that former Irish center Ruth Riley was named a finalist for the Women's Collegiate Hall of Fame. She was genuinely happy and touched for Ruth. Lot of respect and affection between those two.
(Riley is the original gold standard for this Irish fan. Class act.)

- Was really happy with back-up center Mik Vaughn's performance and impressed with her rebounding (8 in what, 4 minutes?). Said she needs to get her more minutes.
(Totally agree and I thought Dani Patterson. also played very good defense during ND's third quarter run. Vaughn and Patterson's current issue is they play behind Shepard and Turner. Next year is another story...still, it would be good to get them floor time. )

- For you fashionistas, that Green Scarf is her lucky scarf.

- MM brought up that they were trying to get the ball to Turner a lot. (I noticed in this BY thread a lot of folks wondering why Shepard does not get the ball more. Turner implied that she was cutting on a lot of "off-screens" and making hard-cuts to the basket, presumably against Shook or Fuehring. Maybe MM thought there was a speed differential there?
However, if that's the case, Turner has to improve her foul shooting to justify getting the passes. She was horrible last night.

| Post-Game Press Conference vs. Louisville (2019)
Congrats to Ruth on her nomination. She and Niele Ivey are my two favorite “old timers” from ND. There’s someone here on the ‘yard that has some kind of grudge against Ruth, not sure why. Yes, she was physical but the Big East was
a very physical league and UConn always gave as good as it got.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
IMHO this was a horrible game by ND by their standards with their defense being non existent. I am not sure why MM plays Mabrey as she is a total liability on defense, but maybe they all were last night, AO doesn't play any defense but with Lousiville in foul trouble she was able to get some buckets. Shepards weight loss seems to be hampering her as she used to be able to create more space when she was bigger. Second half Louisville were hampered by the 28 to 15 foul count disparity and were unable to have players on the floor when they needed them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMHO this was a horrible game by ND by their standards with their defense being non existent. I am not sure why MM plays Mabrey as she is a total liability on defense, but maybe they all were last night, AO doesn't play any defense but with Lousiville in foul trouble she was able to get some buckets. Shepards weight loss seems to be hampering her as she used to be able to create more space when she was bigger. Second half Louisville were hampered by the 28 to 15 foul count disparity and were unable to have players on the floor when they needed them.
Gotta give some credit to Louisville here. They aren’t ranked #2 for nothing.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Last year Shepard was too fat and this year Shepard's too thin. Poor girl can't win. Oh wait, she did win.

Not a vintage game by ND but Louisville is very good and they are athletic and physical. They know how to disrupt ND's game.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Arike being a dirty player which she is but she is very clutch and dangerous. She can be bad for 3 Q and just turn it up when the game is on the line, Her consecutive 3 pt an 2 pt contested shots in the 4th Q when Louisville was within 2 iced the game. Put the lead at 7 and allowed me to watch KY flush Tenn :)

By the way, what is the deal with Mabrey, she looks awful, I know she is coming back from injury but she seems a shell of her former self.
Marina was off yesterday. But The game before she played pretty well. She’s just gotta get consistent again. Yesterday was just a bad night for Her.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Gotta give some credit to Louisville here. They aren’t ranked #2 for nothing.

Last year Shepard was too fat and this year Shepard's too thin. Poor girl can't win. Oh wait, she did win.

Not a vintage game by ND but Louisville is very good and they are athletic and physical. They know how to disrupt ND's game.

In regards to Louisville, all kudos to them for having their athletic, rangy guards press ND's guards early and often. This disrupted the half-court, motion offense for sure and knocked Mabrey off her game.

What surprised me was how well their forwards also swarmed down low, throwing off Shepard and Young when they were down low. I knew Fuehring was solid in the blocks, but Bionca Durham was tough and Shook was more resilient and active than I remember. Turner was getting open on hard cuts, but she missed way too many foul shots (6).

As for Shepard, she had 15 rebounds, most of them in the first half and would've gone over 20, if not for foul trouble. She would ignite the Irish transition with Kevin Lovish-type outlet passes that hit the Irish guards in stride (people have referred to her as a tight end...why not a QB?).

Tough game...kind of reminded me of an old Big East slugfest.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Congrats to Ruth on her nomination. She and Niele Ivey are my two favorite “old timers” from ND. There’s someone here on the ‘yard that has some kind of grudge against Ruth, not sure why. Yes, she was physical but the Big East was always, always a physical league and UConn always gave as good as it got.

Oh, throw in Rutgers and Villanova...those were slugfests. I followed that championship nucleus (pre, during and post) around the mid-Atlantic with my young children: Seton Hall, St. John's, Rutgers, Villanova and even Hartford. Always involved, energetic and entertaining.
Ruth and her wingman, Kelly Siemon, were formidable, for sure, but so were the Huskies.
My personal fave, besides those already mentioned was ND's silent shooter, Alicia Ratay.
(In a lot of ways, I still miss the Big East...not just for the play, but I got to see the Irish more in person.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh, throw in Rutgers and Villanova...those were slugfests. I followed that championship nucleus (pre, during and post) around the mid-Atlantic with my young children: Seton Hall, St. John's, Rutgers, Villanova and even Hartford. Always involved, energetic and entertaining.
Ruth and her wingman, Kelly Siemon, were formidable, for sure, but so were the Huskies.
My personal fave, besides those already mentioned was ND's silent shooter, Alicia Ratay.
(In a lot of ways, I still miss the Big East...not just for the play, but I got to see the Irish more in person.)
Any combination of Rutgers, UConn, Louisville, and ND was figurativerock fight. Villanova never bothered UConn much. St Johns got really physical after Kim B-A arrived too

Reaction Score
In regards to Louisville, all kudos to them for having their athletic, rangy guards press ND's guards early and often. This disrupted the half-court, motion offense for sure and knocked Mabrey off her game.

What surprised me was how well their forwards also swarmed down low, throwing off Shepard and Young when they were down low. I knew Fuehring was solid in the blocks, but Bionca Durham was tough and Shook was more resilient and active than I remember. Turner was getting open on hard cuts, but she missed way too many foul shots (6).

As for Shepard, she had 15 rebounds, most of them in the first half and would've gone over 20, if not for foul trouble. She would ignite the Irish transition with Kevin Lovish-type outlet passes that hit the Irish guards in stride (people have referred to her as a tight end...why not a QB?).

Tough game...kind of reminded me of an old Big East slugfest.
Turner Her free throw shooting yesterday wasn’t good. But Her free throw shooting has been better this season then in previous seasons. I thought Turner had a pretty good game yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom