Lou?Lou? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lou?Lou?

Reaction Score
And yet, somehow, KLS flourished when Kia was the floor general and even managed a few AA's. As did every other starter Kia played with. Everyone except Kia. Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with you.

First of all, Kia was never the "floor general" and the only player she managed was herself. She was a great player and the only thing I've ever had against her is what I've said ... she almost never threw the ball to Lou when Lou was in a position to score. You don't have to agree with me, the facts will speak for themselves. To prove them, go back and truly analyze the games, concentrating on the interaction between Kia and Lou.

Reaction Score
First of all, Kia was never the "floor general" and the only player she managed was herself. She was a great player and the only thing I've ever had against her is what I've said ... she almost never threw the ball to Lou when Lou was in a position to score. You don't have to agree with me, the facts will speak for themselves. To prove them, go back and truly analyze the games, concentrating on the interaction between Kia and Lou.

In my opinion Kia was very much the floor general, constantly directing traffic and pointing to spots on the floor players should move to. I think that's been missing this year. That's my opinion. You are entitled to yours and I respect that. Let's leave it at that. Whether or not Kia passed the ball to Lou is not so important an issue as to warrant my time looking at past games. That's the past. I would probably see something different anyway since perception can be tricky like that. We both want the same thing for this current team going forward so lets just agree to disagree. Great game for Lou last night and I hope her production continues.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Talk about silencing her critics with an epic performance, here is her line from last night:
31 point, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks ALL 5 categories led the team.
This was on 9/11 FG, 2-2 3 pt shooting, 11/13 FT ALL accomplished in only 20 minutes of game time!
Add in a highlight reel pass back to Crystal Dangerfield and some nifty shots with us finally being back at home!
You go girl, you go!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Talk about silencing her critics with an epic performance, here is her line from last night:
31 point, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks ALL 5 categories led the team.
This was on 9/11 FG, 2-2 3 pt shooting, 11/13 FT ALL accomplished in only 20 minutes of game time!
Add in a highlight reel pass back to Crystal Dangerfield and some nifty shots with us finally being back at home!
You go girl, you go!

Great overall game by Lou, but when asked about Lou's breaking out of her shooting slump, even Geno said that most of Lou's points did not come from actual shooting, most were layups type basket.

Reaction Score

You are entitled to your opinion, but there are opinions in your post that aren’t backed up by basketball certainty, #1 is that you can never be a great player if you “almost never” throw the ball to an open teammate, and definitely not when that player has the shooting acumen of KLS. #2, if you have a perimeter player who doesn’t pass to an open player, especially a great shooter, it would be an absolute impossibility for the teams they played together on to have a record of 110-2. #3, if your opinion were fact, then Ms Nurse would be defined as a selfish player. If you truly do want to “analyze film” then go back and watch the games where she completely sacrificed her offensive game to face guard an opponent’s outstanding perimeter star because that’s what gave her team the best chance to win. I would contend that Kia Nurse was the consummate team player and teammate, and would be the poster child for those traits.

#4, and most importantly, if your “theory” was indeed fact, then you don’t know how the UConn program was built, and continues under GA. There is ample film out there of his practices, methods, and the demands he places on his players. If Ms Nurse wasn’t passing to KLS, let’s just say the issue would have been solved , and that would have not been just a suggestion, if you catch my drift.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
During the 3 seasons that Kia and Lou played together, Kia totaled 334 assists, among the highest number of any Husky player. Hard to believe that few if any of those assists went to Lou. :rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Talk about silencing her critics with an epic performance..

No, just no. That performance emboldens the critics. That as good as KLS is, she's a step below past greats who stepped up against the varsity. ECU isn't even in the Top 200, stats accrued against teams like them are meaningless. Meanwhile, against the varsity she's shooting 14-45, 31%. It's fair to expect more from an All-American senior leader. I think maybe that's the problem, she's more Silvio then Tony.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
You go girl, you go!
What I never, or rarely, seen mentioned about the players is their defense. In last night's game, according to my count, the man or zone, Lou was guarding accounted for one basket against Uconn, while she was on the court. Those stats aren't in the box score, but i am sure the coaches keep track of them.
In the game at Cincy last weekend, her man or zone accounted for 3 baskets against. In that game, where she couldn't hit a 3 point shot, it didn't effect her "D" and she hit 8 of 9 from the free throw line. If she was tired it didn't effect the other aspects of her game. Yet many here and in the chat room that day were asking for her to be put on the bench.
Oh well.

Reaction Score
You go girl, you go!
Not to nitpick, but Crystal had 12 assists (career high) and Christyn had 6. Anyway, great game by Lou - just wish she would start (resume) doing it against more than just teams with no starters over 6'0".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to nitpick, but Crystal had 12 assists (career high) and Christyn had 6. Anyway, great game by Lou - just wish she would start (resume) doing it against more than just teams with no starters over 6'0".
While ECU does start 4 guards, just to be clear, the one forward in the starting lineup, Desiree Corbin is listed at 6’2”.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
No, just no. That performance emboldens the critics. That as good as KLS is, she's a step below past greats who stepped up against the varsity. ECU isn't even in the Top 200, stats accrued against teams like them are meaningless. Meanwhile, against the varsity she's shooting 14-45, 31%. It's fair to expect more from an All-American senior leader. I think maybe that's the problem, she's more Silvio then Tony.
This year only, how about for her career, against teams projected to make the tournament she is 44-84. Also she is the coach on the floor.

Reaction Score
IDC how she scores as long the ball goes through the hoop

I used to caddy for my Father who loved to play golf with his buddies, and there were many different wagers going on during the course of 18 holes. My Father had a golf swing that looked like he was killing snakes, but at the end he was collecting $$$. When I asked him about this dichotomy he replied: “son, in any sport when you get to the end they never ask you how, just how many”. I never have forgotten that advice.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well my congratulations becuz despite your protesting not to, YOU ARE NITPICKING and with what @Waquoit tried to add to the conversation, KLS is in a “no win situation”. KLS played just 20 min, she is the one who put the game away in the 1st Quarter. She was exactly what she was supposed to be-DOMINANT in all aspects, not just scoring. Crystal Dangerfield IS SUPPOSED TO GET ASSISTS, Lou got 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 blocks- all skills she has continued to develop because they need her to do that. What more did you want against this team-so if she struggled with 17 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, you and other critics would complain even more. On this team SHE IS TONY!
Some people are just never happy....Head bang

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KLS is in a no-win situation as the team leader. If she doesn't play well against the handful of good teams out there, they no win. Filling the box score in a 60-point win is meaningless.

Reaction Score
This year only, how about for her career, against teams projected to make the tournament she is 44-84. Also she is the coach on the floor.
And that's playing away from the basket the vast majority of the time. When KLS is vs the top opponents she is the main focus of the opponent's defense. As I've stated before she triggers virtually every half court in bound play despite being the team's best all-around scoring force.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And that's playing away from the basket the vast majority of the time. When KLS is vs the top opponents she is the main focus of the opponent's defense. As I've stated before here she triggers virtually every half court in bound play despite being the team's best all-around scoring force.
Last nights game Geno had CW throw the inbound play under the basket half of the time while Lou was still in the game. I think he may have done this to see if she might be able to do it against SC so they would have to have someone out on the perimeter to cover Lou, opening up the inside for Phees and Meg.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with KLS?

I think the easy answer is...NOTHING! I was sitting courtside last night and you can tell they wanted Lou to get off early and often. I was hoping Geno would keep her in the game a bit longer so she could drop 40 plus! Last night was the best I saw UCONN look in a long time. A few observations:

The crowd really loves Molly. Molly has such a nice shot, she's worked so hard. I have so much respect for her. The posters that think she's not a legit D1 player are off base.

Very disappointing- XL did not do the bongo's!!?? I love the bongos. Have they been gone all season?
I wonder what the FG % was for the first half? 85% ??!! Simply amazing.

It was perfect timing to attend my first game, Lou got off the snide, Big Win, I got to chat with Justine for a few minutes. I really got the whole experience.
Love This team, warts or not!!!!!

Reaction Score
During the 3 seasons that Kia and Lou played together, Kia totaled 334 assists, among the highest number of any Husky player. Hard to believe that few if any of those assists went to Lou. :rolleyes:

And yet, 3 years of game films prove that she almost never passed the ball to Lou when Lou was in a position to score.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with KLS?
Very little. She's an extremely smart player, disruptive on defense, making quick decisions with her passing, and a short slump aside able to score from anywhere. Geno appears primarily intetested in scoring in the paint, ideal for Collier who, though very talented, has only a ten foot shooting range. He does very little to design plays that open Lou from 3 point range, though teams still guard her, freeing up Collier under the basket. UConn lost National Championship last year by sitting Stevens too long, putting us at a disadvantage under the basket. Team's biggest weakness this year is lack of a big, tough girl on the post, yet we still play that game too much, instead of freeing up long and mid range jumpers. Baylor especially took advantage of this weakness. Collier is great but she's not 6'6"

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom