Lou?Lou? | The Boneyard

Lou?Lou?

Reaction Score
Teams have figured her out and we as a team have no answer. Lou is not a playmaker. Day one when she reports to a WNBA team, the emphasis will be how to get her open looks. Period. 15 years later. Same. She needs to move WITHOUT the ball, sharply and quickly and we need to break the defense down, force the defense to help and find Katie open for spot up shots. And all will be right in the world. When she dribbles at the top of the offense, I want to throw my TV out the window.

Reaction Score
If I'm Geno, I would shut her down next game and the next couple days in practice. She looks tired. I don't know what else to say about it. I'm pretty perplexed. She's an All-American and we need her at the top of her game to win a title.

Reaction Score
She was never that, but people beleive she isand that is the problem.

This team will go as far as Naphessa and Crystal will carry them. KLS will snap back at some point, but she isn't the best player on this team.
I personally wish Crystal would pass a little more. She's shooting 43% (worst among starting 5) and taking 11 shots per game. Would like to see her accept shooting 6-8 great shots per game & getting 10 assists. She's a great point guard when she wants to get everyone else involved. She's 11-38 in our 2 losses. We don't need her to be a scorer but we need Lou & CW to be one.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Teams are being very physical with Lou, she was fouled at least 4 times in front of Dee Kantor and not once did she call a foul. On the last one Geno almost lost his mind for the no call and had to be restrained by CD. I don't know what DK has against UConn but she doesn't call a lot of fouls when it comes to officiating our games. Teams get away with being more physical against Lou and Pheesa when she is officiating.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Confidence is so fragilie. The pressure on these players is enormous and 3 pt shooting is so much about confidence. At this stage, she just has to win little battles. She is getting to the FT line and still active in everything we do. Still, I do not see a lot of double screening to get her comfortable 3 pt shots or freeing her up on the elbow which she could always make even if her 3 pt shot is not there. But I have faith it will come and I feel she will have a monster game against SC.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Lou can't create her own shot. If she's not open when she gets the ball, she is not going to get herself open.
Driving to the basket after getting the ball is called creating your own shot, so I think she can. Also if Dee Kantor had called those fouls that were not called Cincy would have had 2 players foul out and Lou would have most likely scored at least 20 points.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She chose to play for a crummy coach who can't recruit, makes poor in-game decisions, and destroys the confidence of his players. She'll never be an All-American unless she transfers. Oh wait...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A couple of reasons for Lou's struggles. One is passing. This team is not a good as past teams in passing and assists. We saw today that passes were off their mark, not crisp. Second, Lou gets free by running her defender off of screens. This is team does not set good screens, except for Pheesa.

Lou is doing all she can to help the team. But right now, this team has weak points that are showing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not an excuse, as Lou and most of her teammates did not play particularly well, but here's an explanation of what happened today. UConn loses to Louisville on Thursday night. By the time they finish with post game interviews, get dressed, get on the bus, drive to Cincy and check into their rooms it's well past midnight. At some point Friday they have meetings and practice to prepare for Cincy. No shootaround Saturday morning with the early start. In the meantime, Cincy has an extra day to prepare after their big win at USF on Wednesday, and they're home.

For past UConn teams, this scenario would not have presented much of a problem, but for this team, everything they do seems to matter a lot.

Reaction Score
Teams are being very physical with Lou, she was fouled at least 4 times in front of Dee Kantor and not once did she call a foul. On the last one Geno almost lost his mind for the no call and had to be restrained by CD. I don't know what DK has against UConn but she doesn't call a lot of fouls when it comes to officiating our games. Teams get away with being more physical against Lou and Pheesa when she is officiating.
This defense of KLS is getting tiresome. Stop blaming the officials. She needs to hit open shots. BTW she got to the line for 9 FTs, almost twice as many as anyone else on the court and 50% more than the entire Cincinnati team

Reaction Score
Driving to the basket after getting the ball is called creating your own shot, so I think she can. Also if Dee Kantor had called those fouls that were not called Cincy would have had 2 players foul out and Lou would have most likely scored at least 20 points.
I know I’m stupid for responding, but...
Not the same game I watched. Great players adjust to what is happening on the floor that day. There don’t even need to be refs.
100% right. She had a couple of takes to the hoop. 100%
She has to finish those plays. Not talking about Liv. Talking about Lou, an all-time player.
Got to protect the ball. Tuck it, pivot, protect it, jump stop, ball fake, pump fake. FINISH!
No flailing arms as the ball flies around the court. Protect the rock and stick it in someone’s mug!

Reaction Score
Lou like every one else on this team is giving every thing they have. Teams can put a fast defensive player on Lou and they will give her trouble. In my opinion CW and MW have to step up their offense to make teams play honest defense. What does UConn try and do? They want to take away your first option and then your second. Guess what that is exactly what other teams are doing to us. So can we make teams play us honestly or are we going to stay right where we are now? I am hoping the team can figure things out before tournament time. Love our team, Go UConn.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Wow, it's amazing the number of HS intramural basketball players that can tell an NCAA All-American player how to play or what is wrong with her. If I remember correctly, she made the All-America team basically playing on one foot. Maybe she deserves some praise for that instead of tearing her apart because she's having a slump. We have no idea how much pressure Pheesa and she are under this season, especially when she sees this crap on the BY. Don't you think that if she or Geno knew her problem that they would fix it????Head bang:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Lou like every one else on this team is giving every thing they have. Teams can put a fast defensive player on Lou and they will give her trouble. In my opinion CW and MW have to step up their offense to make teams play honest defense. What does UConn try and do? They want to take away your first option and then your second. Guess what that is exactly what other teams are doing to us. So can we make teams play us honestly or are we going to stay right where we are now? I am hoping the team can figure things out before tournament time. Love our team, Go UConn.
And also when ever a bench player(s) is/are on the floor, the startes have to try harder on offense because the subs are not a scoring threat 90% of the time that they are on the court.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If I'm Geno, I would shut her down next game and the next couple days in practice. She looks tired. I don't know what else to say about it. I'm pretty perplexed. She's an All-American and we need her at the top of her game to win a title.

Could it be related to her much more physical role this year? That would certainly begin to grind and might affect her shooting. Lou's the best, but hasn't seemed to be herself the past few games.

I was going to say the same things. Lou's being physically defended (nothing new), but she's also mixing it up more inside. But she's looking tired to me.

Remember a month ago when she was getting every rebound in sight? That's not happening now. Her shot is off (that one today where she missed the rim but hit the backboard is something I never thought I'd see her do). She's not getting to some balls she would have several weeks ago. Those all point to tired legs to me. Maybe she should play 20 minutes a game for a week or two, leave all the inside pounding to Napheesa and Megan, who's becoming much more comfortable banging lately. Kyla is looking more comfortable and can spell Pheesa and Megan and/or add another physical presence if necessary.

Reaction Score
I personally wish Crystal would pass a little more. She's shooting 43% (worst among starting 5) and taking 11 shots per game. Would like to see her accept shooting 6-8 great shots per game & getting 10 assists. She's a great point guard when she wants to get everyone else involved. She's 11-38 in our 2 losses. We don't need her to be a scorer but we need Lou & CW to be one.

The problem is they are hesitating so she has to shoot. When MW and CW show the ability to create, Crystal can step back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom