Long Goodman article on the program | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Long Goodman article on the program

Reaction Score
But where's my orchestra? They said there would be music, dammit!

Except I'm not saying to keep Ollie as our coach; to the contrary, I've said that ship has sailed with me, too.

I'm simply suggesting that people have some class and discretion if they understand what is best for the school. But yeah, I realize that's blood from a stone with respect to you.
it's a little unfortunate that you seem to imply fans on a messageboard are worthy of more scorn than the captain of the sinking ship

Reaction Score
"It's not fair to compare anyone to a top-five coach," one of UConn's most prominent boosters said. "I stand 100 percent behind Kevin until something happens."

-----------------------------------

What about this? I just want to shake/slap repeatedly this person/these people out of their doldrum(s) until they freakin' get it. This allegiance is obnoxious and is not helping.

Who wants to line up with me?

that was clearly Mike Melio. He is one of those "if you think it you can do it" people. not my cup of tea

Curiouser
Reaction Score
it's a little unfortunate that you seem to imply fans on a messageboard are worthy of more scorn than the captain of the sinking ship
When the fan finds such glee in setting the sinking ship on fire, yeah I have no place for that.

The captain did a lot for this school and this program and I take no joy in seeing him sink. And I do hope he rises again somewhere.

Reaction Score
that was clearly Mike Melio. He is one of those "if you think it you can do it" people. not my cup of tea

well it is obnoxious. I guess being blind to things also helps.

Reaction Score
When the fan finds such glee in setting the sinking ship on fire, yeah I have no place for that.

The captain did a lot for this school and this program and I take no joy in seeing him sink. And I do hope he rises again somewhere.
it's not glee. i'm not sure why people keep saying that. Do I personally enjoy the vindication from the article? yeah, only because some people here chose to repeatedly call me and others liars and describe us as "rats" solely for providing answers to why the program is a mess right now. you know what I'd enjoy more, though? if kevin ollie was a good coach and uconn basketball was competitive.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It's time to make a change, but this process is not going to be fun. There are two camps in this fight and both seem to have a pretty strong influence and some weight to throw around. Seismic changes coming to Storrs

Reaction Score
It's time to make a change, but this process is not going to be fun. There are two camps in this fight and both seem to have a pretty strong influence and some weight to throw around. Seismic changes coming to Storrs

No, it is not going to be fun. But what we have is not fun in the least either. At least if it continues to not be fun it is with something new and we at least tried...some of these boosters though, really.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody wants to see him fail. But he has failed. Maybe he would be better served as lead recruiter or in the nba as an assistant somewhere. And I genuinely hope he becomes a huge success. But right now, in this situation, he's not the guy.
Stringing this along beyond this year helps no one.

Reaction Score
But where's my orchestra? They said there would be music, dammit!

Except I'm not saying to keep Ollie as our coach; to the contrary, I've said that ship has sailed with me, too.

I'm simply suggesting that people have some class and discretion if they understand what is best for the school. But yeah, I realize that's blood from a stone with respect to you.
Lol, so predictable. You argued with me for months that Ollie should stay. Now that you know he's going to be fired you're a guy who knows the ship has sailed. Get the farck out of here.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody wants to see him fail. But he has failed. Maybe he would be better served as lead recruiter or in the nba as an assistant somewhere. And I genuinely hope he becomes a huge success. But right now, in this situation, he's not the guy.
Stringing this along beyond this year helps no one.
Lead recruiter actually involves recruiting.

Reaction Score
I think this was a well sourced article. I’m no fan of Goodman, but I do not think ESPN or Goodman or anyone else has an agenda or conspiracy against Kevin Ollie. Speaking with over 30 former players, coaches etc. does not smack of a hit piece. However what I found most compelling, beyond the obvious lack of effort recruiting Hammie and Mal, and no plan for development of Vance and Durham but to hit the gym, was the obvious no confidence statement from Calhoun on Ollie. I think it speaks volumes when he states he states in the 1 sentence for the record merely that he loves Uconn, loves the program and is rooting for Kevin Ollie, without wanting to go any further or expressing anything positive like he’s doing a good job etc. If he had any serious confidence in Kevin he would have stated it on the record knowing full well this article is covering the state of affairs concerning KO future with the program. I think that speaks volumes. Reminds me of the lack of confidence expressed by Benedict at his last press conference with regard to Kevin. With The NCAA investigation looming in the background, I see this ending in some type of mutual agreement between Kevin and the school concerning separation and buyout. I just can’t see how this can be turned around at this point and given how far we have come and how this much attention and ink spent covering the problems/issues with KO

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
No, it is not going to be fun. But what we have is not fun in the least either. At least if it continues to not be fun it is with something new and we at least tried...some of these boosters though, really.

I don't understand what they think is going to change. Wish I had some serious dough to throw around.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"It's not fair to compare anyone to a top-five coach," one of UConn's most prominent boosters said. "I stand 100 percent behind Kevin until something happens."

-----------------------------------

What about this? I just want to shake/slap repeatedly this person/these people out of their doldrum(s) until they freakin' get it. This allegiance is obnoxious, it is stupid and it is not helping.

Who wants to line up with me?

How are you not mad at the people who do treat top-five coach as the baseline, independent of whether that standard is applied to Ollie or his replacement?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Well the reason we're in this situation is because bad fans lowered their expectations...or so I've been told at least

Reaction Score
Despite some ridiculous claims to the contrary here, no one wanted him to fail.

But all of the reasons listed in that article have been mentioned here for some time....he doesn’t work hard enough.

This is all on Kevin Ollie. All of it.
Which is so surprising since how hard he had to work as an NBA player to stay in the league for so long with limited skills. I think we can all contribute his lack of effort from around the time he got divorced. Some people just never recover to be the same person after a divorce. Sad but true.

Reaction Score
That's the word. Hope for the best but fear it's going to be really painful.

Reaction Score
Which is so surprising since how hard he had to work as an NBA player to stay in the league for so long with limited skills. I think we can all contribute his lack of effort from around the time he got divorced. Some people just never recover to be the same person after a divorce. Sad but true.
P

Makes sense, but at this point, I am all speculation-ed out. Don't care why it happened, just that it did and times up

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lol, so predictable. You argued with me for months that Ollie should stay. Now that you know he's going to be fired you're a guy who knows the ship has sailed. Get the farck out of here.
No, I argued that you should stop being a whiny bitch and that your open mid-season campaigning against Ollie and recruiting of other coaches to replace him was distasteful and potentially more harmful to the program. Most thinking people agreed that firing him mid-season was/is a terrible idea, yet you wanted him fired in December and you vowed not to post again until he was gone. I care about what is right for institution, not who was the first one to want to bury one of our own.

But that's exactly what you do. You do the same thing with Eli and the Giants. You want so desperately to be recognized as "right," yet you so often are not. See, e.g., 2016 your election "bet." Now you keep dropping vague scurrilous references to bad deeds, smh.

Funny to have the guy who vowed to not even be here now tell me to "get the farck out of here."

That's our littlejohn!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Really. He could have gotten out of bed the morning of the day he wrote it and done nothing but read the BY as his only source of information.

Nothing is new in this article why are people surprised is my point. Everything in this article we knew.

Reaction Score
Right, but could it also be just as likely to attribute it to complacency after winning a ring and getting a lucrative 5 year deal? He had to fight like hell his first two years to prove he was a worthy head coach. After he landed that deal and proved to himself and everyone else in the country that he was capable he may have just completely taken his foot off the accelerator. I think winning that championship in some ways was the worst thing that could have ever happened to Kevin Ollie so early in his career.

Reaction Score
P

Makes sense, but at this point, I am all speculation-ed out. Don't care why it happened, just that it did and times up
I think about 90 percent(based on the last poll taken) of the fan base including myself want him gone. I wanted him gone after last season but was willing to see how this season played out. Including the off season this has been an awful train wreck. I hope a buyout can be reached and KO can save face and become a Tyron Lue coach in the NBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom