Long Goodman article on the program | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Long Goodman article on the program

Reaction Score
There are rumors that Sr. blew the whistle on KO/the program.

Didn’t Vance Sr. basically say he was going to do this on Twitter after Vance Jr. transferred? I remember him directing something at KO that pretty much said (paraphrasing) “you don’t want me to tell the full story”.

The guy was a loose cannon from the jump and the staff should have stayed away from him. Based on the lack of interest in Vance after his transfer it’s safe to say there were a bunch of coaches/schools that wanted nothing to do with his dad.

Reaction Score
That's not what you should care about. What you should care about is what it says about our head coach and what damage it will do to our program.

I don't disagree. It just irks me if the Jackson's recieved illegal benefits knowingly and are now crying to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Really hard to argue with much of the article.

Ollie getting outworked is the most shocking thing of all (that or current players openly admitting the team isn’t playing hard enough).

I hate the Vance Jackson thing. He wasn’t my favorite player, but if any version of that is true, that hurts. A lot.

Seriously! How hard is it to develop a plan — even if it’s part BS. There’s most likely more to the story, but it sounds like the kid would’ve stayed if a plan was in place to improve his game off the bounce.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lazy is the wrong word. Disinterested is more apt.

He’s a very wealthy guy who has retired from his first profession. His current profession pays very well, but requires some menial labor that he doesn’t seem to like doing. (I’d be worse. I’d sit in the office and watch YouTube videos and price Bentleys all day.)

As a result, the talent isn’t here, the development doesn’t happen and the team is generally unprepared.

Fake it ‘til you make it replaced ten toes in a long time ago. With the genie out of the bottle now, it’s basically over.

Which pretty much implies that he doesn't even want to be the HC of a MCBB program. Given all I've heard and read over the past year, that sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Didn’t JC have year end meetings with each player and give them specific instructions on what to work on to improve their games? Maybe KO didn’t have a great gameplan for these guys, they noticed his lack of NBA players and decided going elsewhere would be their best chance of realizing their dreams.

With transfers being so prevalent today, it’s not enough to recruit the kid while in high school only. Coaches need to continually recruit the kids to stay in the program by showing them a defined path to playing professionally. KO has mostly failed getting top players, and when he has gotten them, he’s failed to get them to stay in the program.

Reaction Score
So Kisunas is a reach-hmmm, had offers from Boston College and Creighton. Matthews had offers from Boise State, Georgetown, Oregon State. Polley had offers from G Tech Dayton, LSU, TCU, was a Rivals 4 star. Carlton Cinci, South Carolina, Providence, Maryland. Whaley, Georgia, Memphis. Sid Wilson Fla, G Teach, Cincinnati. Let's take laziness out of the equation. Every school has 150 players on their list, and do not get most of them. All these guys were being heavily recruited. At the very least, Goodman's article was self serving.

Reaction Score
Lazy is the wrong word. Disinterested is more apt.

He’s a very wealthy guy who has retired from his first profession. His current profession pays very well, but requires some menial labor that he doesn’t seem to like doing. (I’d be worse. I’d sit in the office and watch YouTube videos and price Bentleys all day.)

As a result, the talent isn’t here, the development doesn’t happen and the team is generally unprepared.

Can you be more specific? What menial labor does he not do? No offense to you as you are likely summarizing things you've heard, but I hate vague posts like this. Visiting MAL only once personally after commit and Jackson lack of specific plan were mentioned in the article, but I've read reports on here from the trail of Ollie being everywhere during evaluation periods. Was that too little too late, or did he just have 9 toes in.

Is the menial labor more x and o's, gameplan related?

Reaction Score
What do you mean? I think I'm reading in between the lines, but not sure.

I get why you are vague, given the reception some of your posts receive. You may not like that I call you the Angel of Death, but that's actually a tip of the cap--plus the graphic I gave you is awesome. Wish you posted more.

He's saying Goodman talked to Vance's father.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You can argue Ollie lost it and that he's no good and should be fired.

Arguing that Calhoun was wrong to shoehorn him into the job is lame given 2013-2014.

A question was posed here a few weeks ago asking whether or not 2014 was worth it given what it may have done to Ollie.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
All the quotes are he said and she said. How do we know any of that is true. We don't know people's motivations to say certain things. Maybe they are butt hurt and bitter. Who knows. The human race is so gullible. Quick to believe anything that resembles their tendencies.

Let's say 30 sources are 'full of it' (an absurd notion), the fact that there are 30 sources who are "butt hurt and bitter" would be a massive indictment in and of itself. You can't piss off that many people while doing a fantastic job.

I want nothing more than the whole thing to blow up in UCONN'S face if they fire KO. People act like they know everything when in reality we know nothing about the future consequences of a decision.

So you effectively care more about KO or about being right, than you do about the health of the program. That's...I don't even know.

And fwiw, you don't have any idea about the future consequences either. Could just as easily be good. But I do know that if you fear the future/change so much, you are gonna stay stuck in the past. Which means not growing ie dying.

Just let the man do his job. If anything give him a steep pay cut with performance based bonuses.

He's not doing his job now. What makes you think he'll do it in the future?

Outside of the fact that changing his contract is an impossibility, nothing would signal 'dead man walking' more than a steep pay cut. Think it's bad now, try and compete with that over his head.

I was all for waiting to see if he'd develop a few years ago; he had some things to offer. The implosion of the team on all fronts at the end of last year was the final straw for me. And I was disappointed in the continued lack of growth on all fronts.

Reaction Score
Calhoun handed KO the ball and he fumbled. For whatever reason he fumbled. Teams play with the personality of their coach. So, ask no more why we are continually outworked and out smarted. It’s simply because our coach is always outworked and out-coached. Anyone doubting the validity of the article is a bozo. If it was one person than sure you can be skeptical. But out of at least 30 ppl connected to the program only Mike freaking Melio had anything positive to say about the job he did?!? I guess all the former assistants, players, his former teammates, AAU coaches, parents, and the God Father Jim Calhoun are all conspiring to lie on KO and exaggerate his failings. There not. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it ain’t a damn mongoose. Stop creating a false doubt about the validity for the sake of arguing. It’s okay to admit you were hoodwinked by KO. He hoodwinked all of us. He faked the funk and now he’s being exposed. Except it and move on so that we can return to our greatness. I’m tired of watching and supporting crap!

Reaction Score
Losing Diallo due to effort. And Vance Jackson leaving because KO’s plan for him was to get in the gym. Those are new developments lol

Highly dubious. Everything else in there was plausible and even correct. Those two? Dubious. One can be easily disproven. Ollie went to 4 different venues to watch Diallo play between Nov. 26th and Dec. 20th alone. One game? BS! Someone has an agenda. Ollie doesn't need lies being hurled at him when his performance alone is enough to fire him.

All you read about in the articles at the time is how hard Ollie was recruiting Diallo, and there are pictures of them in the stands at venues talking.

This is why I discount the Diallo and Vance Jackson story.

I am not saying that Ollie is a tireless recruiter. But the Abu story has more legs than the Diallo recruitment.

Reaction Score
Calhoun handed KO the ball and he fumbled. For whatever reason he fumbled. Teams play with the personality of their coach. So, ask no more why we are continually outworked and out smarted. It’s simply because our coach is always outworked and out-coached. Anyone doubting the validity of the article is a bozo. If it was one person than sure you can be skeptical. But out of at least 30 ppl connected to the program only Mike freaking Melio had anything positive to say about the job he did?!? I guess all the former assistants, players, his former teammates, AAU coaches, parents, and the God Father Jim Calhoun are all conspiring to lie on KO and exaggerate his failings. There not. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck then it ain’t a damn mongoose. Stop creating a false doubt about the validity for the sake of arguing. It’s okay to admit you were hoodwinked by KO. He hoodwinked all of us. He faked the funk and now he’s being exposed. Except it and move on so that we can return to our greatness. I’m tired of watching and supporting crap!

KO deserves to be fired. But based on your post here, you've been hoodwinked.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The guy was a loose cannon from the jump and the staff should have stayed away from him. Based on the lack of interest in Vance after his transfer it’s safe to say there were a bunch of coaches/schools that wanted nothing to do with his dad.

While you may be right about staying away, the simple answer is don't anything wrong in the first place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Highly dubious. Everything else in there was plausible and even correct. Those two? Dubious. One can be easily disproven. Ollie went to 4 different venues to watch Diallo play between Nov. 26th and Dec. 20th alone. One game? BS! Someone has an agenda. Ollie doesn't need lies being hurled at him when his performance alone is enough to fire him.

All you read about in the articles at the time is how hard Ollie was recruiting Diallo, and there are pictures of them in the stands at venues talking.

This is why I discount the Diallo and Vance Jackson story.

I am not saying that Ollie is a tireless recruiter. But the Abu story has more legs than the Diallo recruitment.
You can find no valid or reasonable excuse why John Calipari who coaches In freaking Lexington, Kentucky went to as many games of Hami’s as KO. You’re playing devils advocate I get it. But call it what it is.

Reaction Score
Seriously! How hard is it to develop a plan — even if it’s part BS. There’s most likely more to the story, but it sounds like the kid would’ve stayed if a plan was in place to improve his game off the bounce.
Seems to me that the only development that has occurred lately is “get in the gym”. The lack of development has been discussed at nauseum.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Winning 2014 was worth 10 years of misery.

Luckily, you don't have to suffer 10 years of misery for winning in 2014.

You may be in the minority with that opinion.

Reaction Score
All the quotes are he said and she said. How do we know any of that is true. We don't know people's motivations to say certain things. Maybe they are butt hurt and bitter. Who knows. The human race is so gullible. Quick to believe anything that resembles their tendencies. I want nothing more than the whole thing to blow up in UCONN'S face if they fire KO. People act like they know everything when in reality we know nothing about the future consequences of a decision. Just let the man do his job. If anything give him a steep pay cut with performance based bonuses.
I've seen some crazy/lunatic posts on The Boneyard...mostly in the football forum and most of them written by @nelsonmuntz ...but @UConn_Top_Dog this post will forever hold the top position. The fact you even were able put your fingers to a keyboard and type this nonsensical b u l l s h * t speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
KO deserves to be fired. But based on your post here, you've been hoodwinked.
? Based on my post KO was all lip service. He didn’t treat the job with the respect it deserved. Did he do the best he knew how? I believe that, but he’s not getting paid to do his best. He’s continuously been out worked and out coached. And now the cats out of the bag

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom