Long Goodman article on the program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Long Goodman article on the program

Reaction Score
I admit I didn’t realize the lack of individual instruction time.

That is something I kinda assumed was standard and came with the territory.

To compare to another sport, it’s why Barry bonds was fired after one year as hitting coach.
I do remember that there was a poster here who was shocked that Glen Miller got fired because he said he was the only one that would actually work out the players when they asked for help. Pretty much everything written in the article was relayed here at one point or another.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Can someone point to something in the article that’s new? If you were paying attention?

Really. He could have gotten out of bed the morning of the day he wrote it and done nothing but read the BY as his only source of information.

Reaction Score
Really. He could have gotten out of bed the morning of the day he wrote it and done nothing but read the BY as his only source of information.
lol you people are insane. Goodman didn't quote the boneyard. he just happened to dig up the same information that posters have been writing about on the board for over a year. this should strengthen the validity of the accusations and instead you're dismissing it as #fakenews

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
why can't you accept reality? do you think goodman didn't actually get quotes and made everything up?
Nope. But you can find a source for anything. Who do you think said the comment about not having a plan for Vance? His Dad?? I’ve accepted reality. We stink and students can’t be shamed! It’s awesome

Curiouser
Reaction Score
word salad.
This from the guy who has done nothing but recycle the same dozen words for the past three months.

Please don’t dominate the rap jack, if you’ve got nothing new to say.

Rest assured, when history identifies the rats, you’ll be remembered as among the first off the ship and I’ll be in my deck chair listening to the orchestra.

So be it.

Reaction Score
This from the guy who has done nothing but recycle the same dozen words for the past three months.

Rest assured, when history identifies the rats, you’ll be remembered as among the first off the ship and I’ll be in my deck chair listening to the orchestra.

So be it.
live look at 8893 on the ship
93465-004-4251FD46.jpg

Reaction Score
It paints a very clear picture why players transferred en masse and confirms what we’ve seen in front of our own eyes over the last 4 years. Ollie and his staff have a complete lack of ability to develop players. The players recognized that and would rather eat the transfer year to get to a team that will help them improve versus staying and likely playing big minutes here.

Reaction Score

So be it.
When Ollie coaches his final game as UConn HC less than a month from now, the two of you can go on a cruise together and talk about rats, escalators and your toes.

Reaction Score
Can someone point to something in the article that’s new? If you were paying attention?
Just to name a couple...Kevin Ollie's player development program for Vance Jackson and Kevin Ollie's lack of interest in going "ten toes in" to recruit a 5* player less than 25 miles away from the Storrs campus (which we knew was the case with MAL). Also a few telling quotes from former players, coaches, NBA scouts, and AAC coaches.

Reaction Score
"I love the program. I love UConn. I'm rooting for Kevin Ollie," said Calhoun, who declined to go further in depth about the current state of the program.

Ouch.

So be it.

If you please, don't back up the track
This train's got to run today!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
lol you people are insane. Goodman didn't quote the boneyard. he just happened to dig up the same information that posters have been writing about on the board for over a year. this should strengthen the validity of the accusations and instead you're dismissing it as #fakenews

You're absolutely right. He didn't quote the BY. Instead, he uses the same tactic the "Fire Ollie" crowd here uses. He quotes nothing but anonymous sources, third person hearsay, and unsubstantiated innuendo to support his narrative. Nothing in that article can be proven or disproven relating to comments from anonymous sources. I've yet to see one factual quote on the record from anyone in a position to really know what they're talking about, here or anywhere else. It's a garbage piece of 'journalism'.

That said, I have stated I'll be in favor of moving on at the end of this season if things don't dramatically improve by then. If half the stuff in the article about Ollie is true, it's time to do something about it when this season ends, if we remain on the same trajectory. Whether the AD can find a way to swing it financially is another matter.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely right. He didn't quote the BY. Instead, he uses the same tactic the "Fire Ollie" crowd here uses. He quotes nothing but anonymous sources, third person hearsay, and unsubstantiated innuendo to support his narrative. Nothing in that article can be proven or disproven relating to comments from anonymous sources. I've yet to see one factual quote on the record from anyone in a position to really know what they're talking about, here or anywhere else. It's a garbage piece of 'journalism'.

That said, I have stated I'll be in favor of moving on at the end of this season if things don't dramatically improve by then. If half the stuff in the article about Ollie is true, it's time to do something about it when this season ends, if we remain on the same trajectory. Whether the AD can find a way to swing it financially is another matter.
anonymity has been an integral part of journalism since its conception. the fact that you can't accept that people close to the program need to keep that anonymity puts you in the delusional crowd.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
First, I read the OP & comments, then the comments showing ignored content, then Goodman's article. Here, pretty much all are on equal footing, and nobody is far out of bounds. Goodman is sufficiently more right than wrong here, but, unsurprisingly, hasn't got much on us other than the biggest audience for this apparent consensus. Only an unexpected turnaround could shift things, and I do believe that most here would welcome such a surprise no matter how much they doubt it will happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The most concerning thing I read, regarding Vance:

"Jackson, who averaged 8.1 points and 26 minutes per game as a freshman, met with Ollie after last season and wanted to know what the plan was for him to be able to develop into more than just a spot-up shooter."

"[Jackson] wanted a clear plan going forward," the source said. "
He didn't want to transfer, but there was no plan."

Huh? No plan for a player that we could've really used this season and beyond? No plan for a player who actually wanted to stay? If this is true then this is finally does it for me. He needs to be gone and we need a change.
I'd be very careful in interpreting those comments.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
anonymity has been an integral part of journalism since its conception. the fact that you can't accept that people close to the program need to keep that anonymity puts you in the delusional crowd.

No, I get it, but total reliance on anonymous sources, by definition, makes any article somewhat less credible.

Reaction Score
"This UConn team wouldn't win any league in the country, including the America East," added one high-ranking NBA executive.

Sad, but true.

pj

Reaction Score
I assumed that, but if I was Miller, why not go on the record? The place has been a tire fire since he left.

Why would anyone want to go on the record describing himself as the coach best liked by players? It would sound more credible coming from anyone else, so he'd prefer to give the impression that it came from someone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom