Location of the Coors Club | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Location of the Coors Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@uconnbill - Does your email say the whole concept has been postponed or just the proposed moving of the JH Memorial?

According to the article I just read the whole Coors club is not happening. Was looking forward to something new at the Rent to possibly promote the team and bring something different to the stadium.. too bad it’s now a no go anywhere .. I’m sure the coors Club could have found a different place.. it’s a big venue..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love this school.

022.jpg

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’m a fan just because that was right behind my seats and I don’t wanna deal with walking around the tent set up. Its also clear AD David Benedict or whoever came up with this plan must have put little to no thought into it. Not a great stretch for DB here...

Reaction Score
Dumb move by the school IMO. Your AD is in a financial fight for it's life, and any revenue they can bring in is a plus. The Coors Club may have got more casual fans into the stadium to drink a few beers and socialize. Some of them may have even (gasp) watched the game. I stopped taking my wife to games a few years back because she simply had no interest in the game portion of the day's festivities. If there was a scenario where she could be in the stadium but not have to be "in the stadium" she would probably be receptive. I could drop her off with a few other wives and let Coors Lite babysit her for 3 hours.

I get that certain people feel personally invested in the statue, but the location of it carries no actual significance. It doesn't mark the spot where the player died, or where something significant he accomplished occurred. It was a place chosen because people could take a photo of it while milling around. Not exactly sacred ground. Personally I would have put it at field level for the team to interact with, or outside the stadium at a main entrance or some other high visibility spot. You're not desecrating the memory of a player by fighting to keep the team he loved solvent. If explained to his family in that manner they would likely agree. All said the reaction to cancel the Coors Club comes across as pretty Mickey Mouse Stuff.

Reaction Score
Thinking Randy should weigh in here. He has been outspoken about the need to generate more revenue and bring fans back into the stadium, and was obviously a key figure after the Jasper tragedy.

Too bad. It sounded like a cool concept to explore.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
UConn Fans - “Let’s get more people to go to games!”

UConn - (Adds a fun bar to draw in more fans)

UConn Fans - “YOU MEAN THE STATUE HAS TO MOVE OH MY GOD WE CAN’T HAVE THAT WHAT ABOUT THE TRADITION”

Reaction Score
They really shouldn’t roll over like this. You can’t just back off on anything people complain about. Scramble, appease people by listening and open the Coors Club on 8/30.

Red tape, negativity and minutiae are ruining everything in CT.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The thing that kills me here is how reactionary the athletic department was through this whole matter.
  • Coors Light want to sponsor a club in the stadium?
    • Let's do it and announce it less than a month before the first game.
  • Someone is complaining about the location surrounding the Jazz statue?
    • Let's move the statue.
  • Complainers don't like the new location?
    • Let's scrap the plan for this year.
Should have thought out the location beforehand and reached out to Jazz's family with a plan in place. Once the complainers started up, they should have done a quick placation of them and talked to Jazz's family rather than suggest a move of the statue. When the proposed move was not a solution, they should have gotten some face time to work out a solution, not just cave and cancel.

Congrats to @danlow1963. You felt passionately and you acted to put a stop to the plan and did so successfully. I don't think your actions were in the best interests of the university, but you sincerely did, so props to you.

EDIT: CL82 solution would have been to put up some barriers so that there was a open walkway between the Coors Club and to and around the statue. Everyone is happy in the short term. A plan could be worked out over the off season.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I always thought they should have dealt with this differently and make the area set back more and raised and that way you keep the Jasper Howard memorial in its spot and still have the Coors area.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I always thought they should have dealt with this differently and make the area set back more and raised and that way you keep the Jasper Howard memorial in its spot and still have the Coors area.
I guess Bill, but this was just a trial balloon. No matter, hopefully they will come back with a more thoughtful approach for next year.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Thinking Randy should weigh in here. He has been outspoken about the need to generate more revenue and bring fans back into the stadium, and was obviously a key figure after the Jasper tragedy.

Too bad. It sounded like a cool concept to explore.

He also donated to the statue - what's to say he didn't weigh in?

Reaction Score
I am sure it'll be addressed. There was an article on espn.com about sports sculptures becoming popular.

Does Orlovsky getting a statue? I hope not. We need a player with way more success for someone to get one.

Not a fan of modern sculpting.
A pretty stupid statement in its own right. Yea, fine another UCONN player out of the current dumpster fire program or perhaps if the program survives who will spend 13 years as a NFL QB and then sign with ESPN as a analyst. Absolutely find someone more successful for the next statue!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
A pretty stupid statement in its own right. Yea, fine another UCONN player out of the current dumpster fire program or perhaps if the program survives who will spend 13 years as a NFL QB and then sign with ESPN as a analyst. Absolutely find someone more successful for the next statue!
Don’t mind Butch no one understands him.

Reaction Score

Enough out of you. Go away and don’t post here anymore.

Reaction Score
Enough out of you. Go away and don’t post here anymore.
Blow it out of your Jimmy Serrano or whoever you are. I will do what I want when I want and where I want and no pissant like you will tell me otherwise

If you have a problem with that I will be at the first game and will gladly have you see it my way at the statute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom