Location of the Coors Club | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Location of the Coors Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Originally that was the plan but because of the construction of the Rent it cannot go above the student section. The locker rooms are below it and it won’t handle the weight. They can’t even drive trucks through that end of the stadium. The current site was a perfect solution for visibility and impact.

Why don’t they just put it at field level outside the tunnel and make some kind of plaque where the current statue is?

Reaction Score
Since everyone just crowded around the statue drinking anyway - I'm not bothered by it.
So you’re not bothered by them moving it to an out of the way place under the concourse? Yes it was in a very busy area and once in a while we had issues with people crowding it, but let’s just take the legacy and tradition and trash it because of that. To replace it with a bar! You just don’t get it.

Reaction Score
Why don’t they just put it at field level outside the tunnel and make some kind of plaque where the current statue is?
The reason is that the 2009 team as well as Jasper’s family wanted it in a place for everyone. They said that the fans were as big a part of them getting through that ordeal as anyone. They wanted it in a place for all of us. Let’s remember they’re moving this for a bar! A bar that could go 50 feet to the right and serve the same purpose.

Reaction Score
It's about time this was put in place. A few years ago a bunch of us fans/donors (30-40) were gathered into a room at The Rent and asked for our opinion as to how to improve the atmosphere and game experience. My daughter and I attended this meeting. Having an end zone club with table seating was her suggestion. We envisioned something a bit more built up from this such as a raised terraced deck with a more permanent structure. However, I think this is a good first step. If it catches on I hope they will construct something more permanent and exciting. I support this effort. I do agree that some accommodation for Jasper Howard's statue needs to be considered.
I wonder what would the logistic be to build a more permanent structure? Since the Rent is a state owned building and not a UConn building, would this have to go through all sorts of state house and senate bickering? Does UConn have the authority to change structures? There may be a reason it appears to be temporary.

Reaction Score
Oh great. A change.org petition. This is really the last thing the program needs right now. I get that some people might be upset but come on.

Reaction Score
Oh great. A change.org petition. This is really the last thing the program needs right now. I get that some people might be upset but come on.
Then don’t sign! The last thing we need is to forget our few traditions! And we wonder why we can’t build a fan base.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would the logistic be to build a more permanent structure? Since the Rent is a state owned building and not a UConn building, would this have to go through all sorts of state house and senate bickering? Does UConn have the authority to change structures? There may be a reason it appears to be temporary.

That is a problem. One that unfortunately we have to deal with. This is totally UConn’s call though

Reaction Score
So you’re not bothered by them moving it to an out of the way place under the concourse? Yes it was in a very busy area and once in a while we had issues with people crowding it, but let’s just take the legacy and tradition and trash it because of that. To replace it with a bar! You just don’t get it.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand the “legacy and tradition” comment. It’s not like they’re getting rid of the statue.

It’s the best place for a standing room area (not only a bar) to be able to see the field. If they move the statue to a different spot that’s accessible for fans then I don’t see the issue.

Reaction Score
Then don’t sign! The last thing we need is to forget our few traditions! And we wonder why we can’t build a fan base.
Well first of all, you told everyone to go sign it. You seem to feel that everyone should feel the same way as you about this or they're wrong.

Just wait until some syracuse grad at ESPN gets a hold of it and manufactures a shtstorm. We've dealt with enough crap over the last few years as a fan base. Another "scandal" is the last thing we need.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but I don’t understand the “legacy and tradition” comment. It’s not like they’re getting rid of the statue.

It’s the best place for a standing room area (not only a bar) to be able to see the field. If they move the statue to a different spot that’s accessible for fans then I don’t see the issue.
Well first of all, you told everyone to go sign it. You seem to feel that everyone should feel the same way as you about this or they're wrong.

Just wait until some syracuse grad at ESPN gets a hold of it and manufactures a shtstorm. We've dealt with enough crap over the last few years as a fan base. Another "scandal" is the last thing we need.

You’re right, let’s just let this happen so we don’t “look” bad. I think that’s a great idea. Sorry for my snark, but I don’t get your point. And I meant sign it if you agree with it, sorry I didn’t ask. If you don’t agree don’t sign it, end of story. I’m just upset so feel free to move on to another thread.

Reaction Score
You’re right, let’s just let this happen so we don’t “look” bad. I think that’s a great idea. Sorry for my snark, but I don’t get your point. And I meant sign it if you agree with it, sorry I didn’t ask. If you don’t agree don’t sign it, end of story. I’m just upset so feel free to move on to another thread.
my point is that the last thing we need is our own fanbase manufacturing a scandal. we can't afford any more bad press at this point. so if this picks up and goes national and leaves another black mark on the program that hurts our national perception yet again, don't be surprised if it accelerates the death of the program. then there won't be anywhere for a memorial.

Reaction Score
my point is that the last thing we need is our own fanbase manufacturing a scandal. we can't afford any more bad press at this point. so if this picks up and goes national and leaves another black mark on the program that hurts our national perception yet again, don't be surprised if it accelerates the death of the program. then there won't be anywhere for a memorial.

Ok JMick, I get your point. I’ve been a season ticket holder for two decades and if you knew me the last thing I want to do is hurt the program. I disagree with your premise in this case as do every member of the 2009 team that my wife and I have contacted. I had to call Jasper’s mother and let her know. Nobody bothered to even contact them. It is just wrong in my opinion. Thanks for not being offended by my emotions, this is just very close to me and my wife. Peace brother!

Reaction Score

Make it he centerpiece of the bar area if possible.

Reaction Score
Make it he centerpiece of the bar area if possible.
it's a lose-lose situation. unfortunately everything seems to be lose-lose for us lately

C

Chief00

I have to admit I wasn’t picturing something quite so half arsed... yet people call me a pessimist.

Agree, if you are going to make a change go full out not half baked.

Reaction Score
Agree, if you are going to make a change go full out not half baked.
it's not a bad idea to test the concept and get feedback. if they are indeed capping it at 250 people and they sell out, they can re-evaluate at the end of the season

Reaction Score
Excuse my ignorance, but are they putting a bar at the top of the steps to the no alcohol family sections?

Reaction Score
Excuse my ignorance, but are they putting a bar at the top of the steps to the no alcohol family sections?

They announced the move of the family/no alcohol section over to section 137 when the 2018 Season Ticket went on sale back in February (they eliminated a few visitor sections as well).

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Why is it such a big deal to move it? The memorial is still there and UConn gets to try to monetize a basically vacant area of the stadium and try to bring in another group of fans. It’s a compromise. The program needs to do what they can to bring in fans. This will either take off and they can build something bigger/better or it fails and they move the statue back. If they were removing the statue completely, I would sign the petition. But making a compromise to bring in fans/money? We should all be supporting anything that does that.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Why is it such a big deal to move it? The memorial is still there and UConn gets to try to monetize a basically vacant area of the stadium and try to bring in another group of fans. It’s a compromise. The program needs to do what they can to bring in fans. This will either take off and they can build something bigger/better or it fails and they move the statue back. If they were removing the statue completely, I would sign the petition. But making a compromise to bring in fans/money? We should all be supporting anything that does that.

Move the bar 50 feet to the right and problem solved. Plenty of room down there for a bar

Reaction Score
Move the bar 50 feet to the right and problem solved. Plenty of room down there for a bar

It's not really a bar. It's basically a new section. They clearly centered it for visibility

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

No they moved the family section a few towards the pressbox. Inside the visitors.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ok JMick, I get your point. I’ve been a season ticket holder for two decades and if you knew me the last thing I want to do is hurt the program. I disagree with your premise in this case as do every member of the 2009 team that my wife and I have contacted. I had to call Jasper’s mother and let her know. Nobody bothered to even contact them. It is just wrong in my opinion. Thanks for not being offended by my emotions, this is just very close to me and my wife. Peace brother!
Mmmm, you are the jumping the gun on this a bit in my opinion. I'd see if there is way to accommodate the Coors Club and keep the statue in an appropriate location. Sign me up with the group that thinks outside the tunnel makes a lot of sense. It will be their as a reminder to the players and will get air time at every game as the team runs out of the tunnel and taps it.

I know this is a change and know you worked very hard on behalf of the statue, but I think your best course of action is to work with the school to find an appropriate location that works for everyone. Just my opinion, but give it some thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01