Location of the Coors Club | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Location of the Coors Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mmmm, you are the jumping the gun on this a bit in my opinion. I'd see if there is way to accommodate the Coors Club and keep the statue in an appropriate location. Sign me up with the group that thinks outside the tunnel makes a lot of sense. It will be their as a reminder to the players and will get air time at every game as the runs out of the tunnel and taps it.

I know this is change and know you worked very hard on behalf of the statue, but I think your best course of action is to work with the school to find an appropriate location that works for everyone. Just my opinion, but give some thought.

I understand you thoughts and I get that idea, it just goes against the wishes and understanding of the players on his team, the Howard family, and his fiancé who wanted it to be in a place accessible by the fans. Kashif Moore said it was the fans as much as anyone that got them through it. Also, we are all finding out about this just now, less than three weeks from opening day so it’s a bit of a shock to everyone including his teammates and family.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of moving the statue from a prominent location, but the reality is we need as many sources of new revenue as possible.

Isn't there some kind of mini sports museum on the tower side concourse? I'm not sure, but doesn't that have something to do with the CT HS Coaches Assn? If so, perhaps putting it in that area might get it more attention than some random placement on the concourse.

Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of moving the statue from a prominent location, but the reality is we need as many sources of new revenue as possible.

Isn't there some kind of mini sports museum on the tower side concourse? I'm not sure, but doesn't that have something to do with the CT HS Coaches Assn? If so, perhaps putting it in that area might get it more attention than some random placement on the concourse.

I agree Nick, we do need to find revenue in as many places as we can, and I’m not in any way against the Coors Club. If you’ve seen my bar at our tailgates you’d see I’m not against the concept, just that there is a TON of room down in the open area, even more to the side if you think about it. Why not put the club there? Win/win

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I agree Nick, we do need to find revenue in as many places as we can, and I’m not in any way against the Coors Club. If you’ve seen my bar at our tailgates you’d see I’m not against the concept, just that there is a TON of room down in the open area, even more to the side if you think about it. Why not put the club there? Win/win

I agree if there's space for it there. I wonder if they're concerned about pedestrian congestion in front of the Coors Club blocking anyone's view of the game? Are they planning to also have the game on any TVs in the club area?

Reaction Score
If you're sitting in the lower stands and there are people standing in the open area under the scoreboard which usually is the case you can't see Jasper's statue. I really never liked the location. I like it down on the field near the tunnel for all players and fans to see all the time.

Reaction Score
So you’re not bothered by them moving it to an out of the way place under the concourse? Yes it was in a very busy area and once in a while we had issues with people crowding it, but let’s just take the legacy and tradition and trash it because of that. To replace it with a bar! You just don’t get it.

Settle down. I’m saying don’t move it. Incorporate it into the bar area. It is basically a bar area anyway.

Reaction Score
I think putting it outside the tunnel would be something special. I understand that they wanted it accessible to fans but ultimately, if it provides something special to the game experience, I think most people will be happy. The average fan doesn’t go to games and watches on TV. The idea of the players touching the statue on the way out is a big time tradition builder that will be seen by everyone in the stadium and at home watching. If we are ever blessed enough to be really good, it will prove to be an iconic symbol of the program.

Reaction Score
It is not like the statute is in a special place like the "X" in the road where Kennedy was assassinated. Move the statue to another well trafficked area.

I don't get why a "move" is considered disrespectful. Perhaps a removal from the stadium should provoke this reaction but not a move.

Reaction Score
It isn't. Faux outrage.
You know what, maybe I’m too close to this and felt awful finding out from a rendering in an email that the memorial to our slain football player and his teammates was being displaced by a bar. Also maybe I’m too close to this because I had to call his mother and tell her. And maybe I’m too close because every member of his team that found out not through a call or email from the department, but from social media. Done, not responding any more. Sign, don’t sign. Want it moved, fine. Whatever. Wanted to let the board know about something I felt was important that was happening without any notice. Instead I’ve wasted time on here defending myself and the statue.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What is the tradition surrounding the statue? It's a memorial.

The Coors Bar isn't likely for me, but it could be an interesting thing for some fans.

Move the statue on the field or on the concourse. Probably would serve as a better memorial than as a place for people to congregate for beers at halftime anyways.

Also, how heavy is the statue? The area above of the student section can't support it? Wut.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also maybe I’m too close to this because I had to call his mother and tell her.
No you didn't have to, you choose to. It probably would have been best to let the school reach out out to her with a concrete plan.

I don't think your posts are "faux outrage" in the least. I do think that you, appropriately, take a lot of ownership in the statue. But I'd respectfully suggest that trying to manufacture a controversy serves no ones interest.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Settle down. I’m saying don’t move it. Incorporate it into the bar area. It is basically a bar area anyway.

We could totally keep it where it is and just change the layout of the bar. Honestly, this bar idea will probably last like three games anyways. No one is going to pay $30 to drink a cumulative 6 oz of beer and watch other games on a TV. Then we'll have paid a lot of money to move an incredibly heavy statue to a weird location so that you can pat it while you're grabbing a hot dog, while the reason we moved it ceases to exist. Keep it where it is for now and see how this thing even catches on IMO

Reaction Score
You know what, maybe I’m too close to this and felt awful finding out from a rendering in an email that the memorial to our slain football player and his teammates was being displaced by a bar. Also maybe I’m too close to this because I had to call his mother and tell her. And maybe I’m too close because every member of his team that found out not through a call or email from the department, but from social media. Done, not responding any more. Sign, don’t sign. Want it moved, fine. Whatever. Wanted to let the board know about something I felt was important that was happening without any notice. Instead I’ve wasted time on here defending myself and the statue.
Dan --- thanks for everything you and your wife did to make this memorial to Jazz happen. You had to work through tons of state bureaucracy and red tape plus fund raise, commission the statue, coordinate with his family, former players etc. Think folks take for granted all that you did.

My guess is that this is a left hand, right hand thing and not done with any malice by the State and the AD. Just a bunch of middling middle managers whose process sucks. The fact that nobody informed you, the family or his close friends is just another example of horrible process within the cross-section of the state and the AD.

Fight the good fight brother. The location is great but the statue was disrespected in how it was not honored or protected in the old set up during games. A more secure and visible location should be found to honor his memory and uphold the tradition

Thanks again

Reaction Score
We could totally keep it where it is and just change the layout of the bar. Honestly, this bar idea will probably last like three games anyways. No one is going to pay $30 to drink a cumulative 6 oz of beer and watch other games on a TV. Then we'll have paid a lot of money to move an incredibly heavy statue to a weird location so that you can pat it while you're grabbing a hot dog, while the reason we moved it ceases to exist. Keep it where it is for now and see how this thing even catches on IMO
I don't think you understand the concept. They're tickets to the game. You watch the game from there. Beers are basically half price

Reaction Score
Dan --- thanks for everything you and your wife did to make this memorial to Jazz happen. You had to work through tons of state bureaucracy and red tape plus fund raise, commission the statue, coordinate with his family, former players etc. Think folks take for granted all that you did.

My guess is that this is a left hand, right hand thing and not done with any malice by the State and the AD. Just a bunch of middling middle managers whose process sucks. The fact that nobody informed you, the family or his close friends is just another example of horrible process within the cross-section of the state and the AD.

Fight the good fight brother. The location is great but the statue was disrespected in how it was not honored or protected in the old set up during games. A more secure and visible location should be found to honor his memory and uphold the tradition

Thanks again

You pretty much hit the nail on the head Skib! It’s about how it was done. I know I’m overly emotional on this subject and I have the same concerns about the area around it during games. In the end it’s always about communication, or rather lack of. If the statue is to be moved in the future, which is a distinct possibility, I hope the family and teammates are brought into the discussion. That was the issue in the end.

Reaction Score
Ok JMick, I get your point. I’ve been a season ticket holder for two decades and if you knew me the last thing I want to do is hurt the program. I disagree with your premise in this case as do every member of the 2009 team that my wife and I have contacted. I had to call Jasper’s mother and let her know. Nobody bothered to even contact them. It is just wrong in my opinion. Thanks for not being offended by my emotions, this is just very close to me and my wife. Peace brother!
God Rest his soul. Do you think Jasper would have a problem with this? He bled blue and understands that UConn is in a fight to try and rebuild the program/fan base. “Play each play like it’s the last play you will ever play,” is what he says. UConn is trying. They’re not removing the statue. What would he say if they changed his position on defense in order to help the team win? My guess is he would have said bet. Let’s do this. Selfishness wasn’t what he believed in. Anything for the team. They’re just moving the statue to a different location. Changing his position at The Rent. His presence is still there. All will still be able to see him and pay respects and homage to the statue. And if it works and the bar idea catches on do you think he would be more upset that they changed his location to help the program? Or would he be thrilled that changing his position created some momentum with the fan experience? My guess the latter.

Reaction Score
God Rest his soul. Do you think Jasper would have a problem with this? He bled blue and understands that UConn is in a fight to try and rebuild the program/fan base. “Play each play like it’s the last play you will ever play,” is what he says. UConn is trying. They’re not removing the statue. What would he say if they changed his position on defense in order to help the team win? My guess is he would have said bet. Let’s do this. Selfishness wasn’t what he believed in. Anything for the team. They’re just moving the statue to a different location. Changing his position at The Rent. His presence is still there. All will still be able to see him and pay respects and homage to the statue. And if it works and the bar idea catches on do you think he would be more upset that they changed his location to help the program? Or would he be thrilled that changing his position created some momentum with the fan experience? My guess the latter.

Don’t try and pretend to know how Jasper Howard would feel about this. You already lie about who you are Javy. That’s bad enough.

Reaction Score
Don’t try and pretend to know how Jasper Howard would feel about this. You already lie about who you are Javy. That’s bad enough.
Any TEAM player would want what’s best for the team.
I won’t take the bait.
Have a good day sir

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just received an email that Jasper Howard's statue won't be moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors