Location of the Coors Club | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Location of the Coors Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the rate our crowds get in their seats before kickoff you could replace Carmina Burana with Hakuna Matata and no one would notice.
That's not a bad idea. Turn Hakuna Matata into a tradition. The whole crowd stands up and sings it.

Reaction Score
I donated to the Jasper Howard statue and I appreciate all the efforts that went into making the statue happen. The OP deserves significant credit and thanks for leading the effort.

At the time the statue was put in place, I thought the location was temporary as, long term, that area of the stadium was going to have seats or a club area as the stadium expanded. (Remember, we had over 40k for Michigan the year before and it was before the Diaco era.) The extra seats for the Michigan game were put in that area.

That said, it was a pretty insensitive and a not well thought out idea to put a bar in that part of the stadium before there was a plan for the statue. You could even take out seats in part of the stadium for the statue and move it closer to the field.

The fast reaction by UConn to postpone the Coors Club was the right decision, but there still needs to be discussions about a permanent location for the statue that pleases everyone.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I understand you thoughts and I get that idea, it just goes against the wishes and understanding of the players on his team, the Howard family, and his fiancé who wanted it to be in a place accessible by the fans. Kashif Moore said it was the fans as much as anyone that got them through it. Also, we are all finding out about this just now, less than three weeks from opening day so it’s a bit of a shock to everyone including his teammates and family.
Totally get that, but having it down there near the tunnel it would still be viable to fans, and represent all that is Husky Football and how each of those kids should play the game. I’d sign up for that move.

Reaction Score
From the rendering, it appears UConn wanted to put the club in the yellow box space noted in the attached picture. The blue dot is the approximate statue location. Why can't they just move the club to the location in the red box? Or the corresponding area on the other side of the scoreboard? It's entirely reasonable to not want a party area built around a memorial to a player, and it's entirely reasonable to want to build that party area somewhere in the stadium. You can do both very easily. This isn't really difficult planning.

Attachments

• coors club.png
    coors club.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 83

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Why not do the Coors Light End Zone Club on either side of the video board?? 2 bars and seating areas instead of one. Leave the area in front of the video board open and leave the statue alone, maybe even place a coupe of small pine trees/ landscaping around the area? Could be a cool feature - very New England-y?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Keep in mind they did this after they started selling tickets.... and you haven’t seen what those ticket buyers get in leiu...

Reaction Score
My guess is that the Coors Club wasn't selling either. If UConn had already made a chunk of change off of this idea, doubt they can it so quickly.

Reaction Score
A lot of misguided opinions on here about how these things get sold in. IMG owns all of the sponsorship deals for UConn. They pay UConn $XX (I think $10mm) per year in order to sell as many sponsorships as possible to generate revenue for themselves. The revenue they generate, they keep. Obviously, in order to be profitable, they want to turn every opportunity into more revenue to cover the amount they pay UConn.

This sponsorship with Coors Light Club was almost definitely a brain child of IMG. Yes, UConn would have to approve, but it would most likely be pushed through by IMG. After the feedback, the Athletic Department decided to intervene and shut down this club. Ultimately, UConn has the final say, especially when it becomes a PR nightmare, but these things are largely done by IMG.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From the rendering, it appears UConn wanted to put the club in the yellow box space noted in the attached picture. The blue dot is the approximate statue location. Why can't they just move the club to the location in the red box? Or the corresponding area on the other side of the scoreboard? It's entirely reasonable to not want a party area built around a memorial to a player, and it's entirely reasonable to want to build that party area somewhere in the stadium. You can do both very easily. This isn't really difficult planning.
Why not do the Coors Light End Zone Club on either side of the video board?? 2 bars and seating areas instead of one. Leave the area in front of the video board open and leave the statue alone, maybe even place a coupe of small pine trees/ landscaping around the area? Could be a cool feature - very New England-y?
I think both of these ideas would block concessions. I'd just do a carve out in the back for a 3 foot walkway and walk around for the statue. See my palsy ridden green line below:
upload_2018-8-14_9-48-44.png

That way the Coors Light Club (CLC) is separated from the Jazz statue. If that cuts down the square footage, we could make it up by making the club slightly wider.

Note that that is a temporary fix though. IMO the Jazz statue is very poorly situated for visibility and location seems like an afterthought or a compromise. On field near the tunnel is the right place, if you really want this be a tradition.

The AD needs to think this out, spend a little face time with Jazz's family and the people who are invested in the current location to explain why a new location is a better place to preserve Jazz's memory. Then the CLC needs to be properly marketed with sufficient lead time to build buzz and demand. JMHO.

Reaction Score
I think both of these ideas would block concessions. I'd just do a carve out in the back for a 3 foot walkway and walk around for the statue. See my palsy ridden green line below:
View attachment 33710

That way the Coors Light Club (CLC) is separated from the Jazz statue. If that cuts down the square footage, we could make it up by making the club slightly wider.

Note that that is a temporary fix though. IMO the Jazz statue is very poorly situated for visibility and location seems like an afterthought or a compromise. On field near the tunnel is the right place, if you really want this be a tradition.

The AD needs to think this out, spend a little face time with Jazz's family and the people who are invested in the current location to explain why a new location is a better place to preserve Jazz's memory. Then the CLC needs to be properly marketed with sufficient lead time to build buzz and demand. JMHO.
Perhaps that would work as well. Or if there's concern about the fans not in the club being able to have access to the memorial, it can be reconfigured to create that space and leave enough open space for concessions. Or....move the concessions - they're concession stands.

The point is there seem to be multiple options to keep the club in play, respect the accessibility, location, and meaning of the memorial, and make everyone happy. Whoever planned this from start to finish did a horrendous job.

Reaction Score
Contrary to what some are implying, I don't believe Danlow or any of the others heavily invested in the Jazz 6 memorial believe that the current location is somehow immutably sacrosanct. If you recall it was initially proposed for the student section area but due to certain structural issues had to find a different landing place. Given an appropriate opportunity for consultation prior to any IMG or University proposal which could have an impact, I'm sure they would be willing to listen and provide rational input to assure that any commercial idea reflects a sensitivity for Jazz's memory. That's what all Huskies should expect.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't believe Danlow or any of the others heavily invested in the Jazz 6 memorial believe that the current location is somehow immutably sacrosanct.

That's a good question. @danlow1963 would another location ever be acceptable to you? Do you have any preferences for alternative sites?

Whoever planned this from start to finish did a horrendous job.
Horrendous feels like too much word. Amateurish or reactionary? Definitely.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess the entire concept from pricing, to sponsors, to logistics/build out/design and the location/statue issue converged to suspend this idea. I hope they spend the fall revamping the plan and roll it out for the last couple games and/or just get it ready for 2019. Please don't abandon this idea, just slow down to get it right.

Reaction Score
Contrary to what some are implying, I don't believe Danlow or any of the others heavily invested in the Jazz 6 memorial believe that the current location is somehow immutably sacrosanct. If you recall it was initially proposed for the student section area but due to certain structural issues had to find a different landing place. Given an appropriate opportunity for consultation prior to any IMG or University proposal which could have an impact, I'm sure they would be willing to listen and provide rational input to assure that any commercial idea reflects a sensitivity for Jazz's memory. That's what all Huskies should expect.

I want to thank you L for saying this. I don’t necessarily think the area is sacrosanct. To be truthful the current area poses some concerns mainly because the statue hasn’t been cordoned off from the cocktail party in the end zone as we had hoped leading to people hanging out and even leaving beer cans on it.

That being said, no one was consulted at all about what to do with the statue if this club was going in. Jasper’s family had no idea, nor did anyone on the 2009 team.

Believe me, I didn’t want any of this to happen. I don’t want any controversy, nor to cause any harm to the University, but this was just handled poorly and with a total lack of sensitivity to the family and teammates. I hate having to even post this, but right is right.

I hope that UConn gets together with members of the team, the Howard’s and Randy and come to a consensus. As far as I’m concerned they can leave me out of it. If they all sign off on it, I’d be thrilled.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can't believe they're going to have to tear down all the infrastructure that was put in place to make the Coors Light club happen.

When I put away the chairs and tents from a backyard BBQ it sometimes can take upwards of 40 minutes.

Once I saw the drawing I knew it would be closed on windy days otherwise the fancy tents would have blown into the parking lot after maiming people in the upper deck.

CL82

Reaction Score
Believe me, I didn’t want any of this to happen. I don’t want any controversy, nor to cause any harm to the University, but this was just handled poorly and with a total lack of sensitivity to the family and teammates. I hate having to even post this, but right is right.
Kind of think you did. You could have handled it informally with the AD's office and ended up in the same place. Instead you took it public. It's all good because you got want you wanted, but I think it is disingenuous to say you didn't want the controversy that you worked to manufacture.

Reaction Score
Kind of think you did. You could have handled it informally with the AD's office and ended up in the same place. Instead you took it public. It's all good because you got want you wanted, but I think it is disingenuous to say you didn't want the controversy that you worked to manufacture.

I disagree, I found out Sunday it was a done deal. It was being moved. There was no time and once it was moved that would be that. I don’t know what interactions you’ve had with the athletic department, but there was no time to do anything without public pressure. While I don’t enjoy any controversy, I was not going to stand by and let it happen without a fight. If you want to call that “manufacturing” you can. I never wanted it whatever you believe.

CL82

Reaction Score
I disagree, I found out Sunday it was a done deal. It was being moved. There was no time and once it was moved that would be that. I don’t know what interactions you’ve had with the athletic department, but there was no time to do anything without public pressure. While I don’t enjoy any controversy, I was not going to stand by and let it happen without a fight. If you want to call that “manufacturing” you can. I never wanted it whatever you believe.
No, you just admitted that you said that you felt nothing was going to get done without public pressure. That's why you went that route. Look, I don't fault you in the least. As I said previously, the fact that you felt passionately that the current plan was inappropriate and then used social media to torpedo it is laudable, but you can't have it both ways. You can't create a public shitstorm and then say you want it didn't happen.

I disagree with your tactics but applaud them. They were entirely effective.

Reaction Score
No, you just admitted that you said that nothing was going to get done without public pressure. That's why you went that route. Look, I don't fault you in the least. As I said previously, the fact that you felt passionately that the current plan was inappropriate and then used social media to torpedo it is laudable. But you can't have it both ways. You can't create a public shitstorm and then say you want it didn't happen.

I disagree with your tactics but applaud them. They were entirely effective.

You’re right I guess. I’m saying I’m not entirely comfortable with going that route but would do it again. It’s just against my nature, and makes me uncomfortable. In fact, I hardly ever post here just because I don’t like the back and forth and arguing! Even if I disagree with someone I’m very reluctant to point that out, despite what it might seem like over this last day, lol! Appreciate your opinions and the discussion. Stop by our tailgate and have a beverage anytime. We’re usually right outside gate C. Blue F150

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Hopefully AD Dave comes back to the table next season with a revamped concept for the club with some more perminant structure to it?

Reaction Score
Hopefully AD Dave comes back to the table next season with a revamped concept for the club with some more perminant structure to it?

I'm guessing the temporarily aspect of the actual area was more to serve as a trial balloon for the concept. If the reception and results were positive, something more permanent would be put in place. For an AD that is short on cash, that's the route I would go to minimize risk in this kind of investment.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the temporarily aspect of the actual area was more to serve as a trial balloon for the concept. If the reception and results were positive, something more permanent would be put in place. For an AD that is short on cash, that's the route I would go to minimize risk in this kind of investment.
I agree with you but what investment does UConn actually have here? They don't own the Rent so they wouldn't be putting the investment in. Not sure if our cash situation is fully at play here. Someone mentioned IMG being responsible for this. Not sure how it all works bit just my thoughts

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's clear why we can't have any nice things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom