Location of the Coors Club | The Boneyard

Location of the Coors Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hesitated writing about this new development because in theory I am fine with it. Anything that brings people to games is ok with me, but today I saw the bar for the first time and I am beyond angry. I cannot believe that they have basically blocked the Jasper Howard memorial with this thing. It is the ultimate disrespect to this young man’s legacy and what it means to our football family. I have already written AD Benedict about this. Why it can’t be moved to the side so it doesn’t block the memorial is beyond me. Part of the reason for the placement of the memorial there was SO it could be visible from most of the stadium. Also, one side faces the field with the words “Play Each Play Like It’s The Last
Play You Will Ever Play.” And that is meant for the team. The other side with the bio is for the fans. As many of you know, there are many of us very dedicated to this young man’s memory and to that team of young men and what they represent for UConn as a program. I am furious and want to get this thing moved. Please consider contacting the AD and expressing your feelings.

Reaction Score
1117A20D-360D-49FF-9E91-BE167EEA06B3.jpeg
Is there a photo of this?

Reaction Score
I think your concern is valid, but if we don't start getting people into the stadium there may not be a football team left in a decade. They need to build up the fanbase somehow
No arguing that, and as I stated, I’m all for getting people in the stadium. I think that can be done without disrespecting our history

Reaction Score
I am sure it'll be addressed. There was an article on espn.com about sports sculptures becoming popular.

Does Orlovsky getting a statue? I hope not. We need a player with way more success for someone to get one.

Not a fan of modern sculpting.

Reaction Score
No arguing that, and as I stated, I’m all for getting people in the stadium. I think that can be done without disrespecting our history

Given that the image shown is just a rendering of what it might look like, there's a chance it won't be obstructed as much as it appears. I'm sure they took it under consideration. If they didn't, then that's another issue entirely. People already stand around it as is and it's not visible a lot of the time from the field

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Can it be moved elsewhere? Like near the tunnel to make it like Howard’s Rock?
I don’t know why it can’t be move in either direction, most likely towards the home side of the field between the scoreboard and the second level since the family section is on the visitors side I think

Reaction Score
Can it be moved elsewhere? Like near the tunnel to make it like Howard’s Rock?
Oh, now that I reread your post I think you were referring to the statue. Originally we wanted it down the other end but in a place accessible to fans. That was very important to the players on that team. I’ll never forget Kashif Moore saying that the memorial was as much for the fans because it was them that got them through that year as much as anything. Unfortunately the statue is so heavy it would fall through the cement there into the locker rooms below!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, now that I reread your post I think you were referring to the statue. Originally we wanted it down the other end but in a place accessible to fans. That was very important to the players on that team. I’ll never forget Kashif Moore saying that the memorial was as much for the fans because it was them that got them through that year as much as anything. Unfortunately the statue is so heavy it would fall through the cement there into the locker rooms below!!!

Yeah I meant the statue. Might be cool to put it outside the tunnel for the players to tap on the way onto the field. Understand that limits the fans ability to be near it but would make for a solid TV entry and a chance to have it mentioned for the audience.

Reaction Score
It's about time this was put in place. A few years ago a bunch of us fans/donors (30-40) were gathered into a room at The Rent and asked for our opinion as to how to improve the atmosphere and game experience. My daughter and I attended this meeting. Having an end zone club with table seating was her suggestion. We envisioned something a bit more built up from this such as a raised terraced deck with a more permanent structure. However, I think this is a good first step. If it catches on I hope they will construct something more permanent and exciting. I support this effort. I do agree that some accommodation for Jasper Howard's statue needs to be considered.

Reaction Score
It's about time this was put in place. A few years ago a bunch of us fans/donors (30-40) were gathered into a room at The Rent and asked for our opinion as to how to improve the atmosphere and game experience. My daughter and I attended this meeting. Having an end zone club with table seating was her suggestion. We envisioned something a bit more built up from this such as a raised terraced deck with a more permanent structure. However, I think this is a good first step. If it catches on I hope they will construct something more permanent and exciting. I support this effort. I do agree that some accommodation for Jasper Howard's statue needs to be considered.

Once again, I’m not against the club in any way, but it doesn’t need to block the memorial.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to admit I wasn’t picturing something quite so half arsed... yet people call me a pessimist.
You are a pessimist. That doesn't make you wrong all the time.

Reaction Score
I think the should move it smack dab in the middle of that - velvet rope it off - and make it the centerpiece

Reaction Score
I like the idea of the coors club. They should use this year to test the coors club and improve it next year and put the 6 statue in the student section (maybe the top or near the tunnel) so it can be visible, more of a part of the atmosphere, and build on or further bring to light our football history and tradition. It'll make the students feel more part of the tradition and culture too. I'm sure not many freshman know Jasper's story, so it'll be a way to build his legacy and the UConn football tradition and improve the game day experience.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
UPDATE: The plans are to move the statue from its place of honor in the stadium to the concourse. I am furious. The club does not have to be directly under the scoreboard but I’m sur Coors paid them to put it there, Jasper Howard’s legacy probably didn’t enter into the equation. If you believe this is wrong please write AD Benedict at david.benedict@uconn.edu and/or call 860-486-2725

Reaction Score
UPDATE: The plans are to move the statue from its place of honor in the stadium to the concourse. I am furious. The club does not have to be directly under the scoreboard but I’m sur Coors paid them to put it there, Jasper Howard’s legacy probably didn’t enter into the equation. If you believe this is wrong please write AD Benedict at david.benedict and/or call 860-486-2725
Where on the concourse?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UPDATE: The plans are to move the statue from its place of honor in the stadium to the concourse. I am furious. The club does not have to be directly under the scoreboard but I’m sur Coors paid them to put it there, Jasper Howard’s legacy probably didn’t enter into the equation. If you believe this is wrong please write AD Benedict at david.benedict and/or call 860-486-2725

As usual, tradition takes a back seat when $$$ is involved. Coors wants to rent the most highly visible space in the stadium. They want people to see their signage. Something had to give, so the statue loses. Sad, but that's the way these things work.

Reaction Score
As usual, tradition takes a back seat when $$$ is involved. Coors wants to rent the most highly visible space in the stadium. They want people to see their signage. Something had to give, so the statue loses. Sad, but that's the way these things work.

It is not moved yet! Please write the AD and consider retweeting

We must protect our legacy and traditions. Would Clemson move Howard’s Rock for a bar? Someone who came from Auburn should understand this.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of the coors club. They should use this year to test the coors club and improve it next year and put the 6 statue in the student section (maybe the top or near the tunnel) so it can be visible, more of a part of the atmosphere, and build on or further bring to light our football history and tradition. It'll make the students feel more part of the tradition and culture too. I'm sure not many freshman know Jasper's story, so it'll be a way to build his legacy and the UConn football tradition and improve the game day experience.
Originally that was the plan but because of the construction of the Rent it cannot go above the student section. The locker rooms are below it and it won’t handle the weight. They can’t even drive trucks through that end of the stadium. The current site was a perfect solution for visibility and impact.

Reaction Score
Since everyone just crowded around the statue drinking anyway - I'm not bothered by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom