Lexi transferring | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lexi transferring

Reaction Score
Not sure how I did the math, but you are correct! I will send off my comments in the "Inbox conversations" to you before posting so I can get an edit...;)

Before the thread goes off half-cocked and worries about heavy minutes for the key players. I did an analysis of the minutes by team since 2000-01 seasons (all the stats I could find). Here is the snap shot.
View attachment 37191

I used both 10 minutes per game and 15 minutes (15 div.by 40=37.5%) to gage what Geno's trend has been.
In 2011-12 (before Stewie) there were 8 players averaged more than 10 min per game and only 6 averaged more than 15 min. 2 players ave greater than 30 min with that low of 30.2 for Hartley (Hayes average higher).

Geno's recent trend of 7 players the past 3 years is worrisome (I don't have 2018-19 up yet). For the most part, when UConn won, they had 9 players >10 and 7 playing >15. The real issue is the only 7 or potentially 6 playing more than 10 min this year. Mikayla, Batouly or Kyla, need to step it up in AAC play.

The issue with your methodology is that when players leave/transfer or are injured mid-season the minutes per game get skewed.

I have previously calculated the minute distribution by the number of players used in a game. I have attached the chart below.
  • Red is fewer players played
  • Blue is more players played
The 2018-19 numbers should go down once we get to our conference schedule.

You can draw your own conclusions.

UConn Minutes by Season inc 2018-19.png

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes, empirically/historically it makes no sense. And any notion that every team mate is not challenged to be their best is just a fanciful notion. About 3 weeks ago in a practice day interview, can't recall the question, Lou allowed as how everyone in practice gets the same treatment.
And that is how Geno has always done it, for the most part. So now I'm puzzled by jsloanjr take on Geno's practice methods. Playing 6-8 players has also been Geno's MO since as long as I can remember, but suddenly jsloanjr has a problem with it., and he isn't the only one I've seen mention this on the BY. Geno hasn't changed
his methodologies, it just seems some now see them as overbearing, out of line, archaic, or unrealistically demanding on his charges. It's an enigma to me.

Reaction Score
Maybe Lexi can apply for a red shirt since she has played in 4 games, but missed 2 due to injury.

Reaction Score
And that is how Geno has always done it, for the most part. So now I'm puzzled by jsloanjr take on Geno's practice methods. Playing 6-8 players has also been Geno's MO since as long as I can remember, but suddenly jsloanjr has a problem with it., and he isn't the only one I've seen mention this on the BY. Geno hasn't changed
his methodologies, it just seems some now see them as overbearing, out of line, archaic, or unrealistically demanding on his charges. It's an enigma to me.
It’s because we’re in the era of “ everybody should get a trophy.”

Reaction Score
Besides the Ivy League are there any NON NLI conferences?

Not really sure....just did a quick look up of NCAA.guidelines on intra-conference transfers to see if the 2 yr no competition rule applied/stilll existed from when I coached; the language is still present in the NCAA regs.

Reaction Score
Interesting! of the top players this year; Geno got 0, MM got 0, and Tara got the home town girl. Any pattern here or is it too small a sample size. I remember how happy some of us were when Jaz was hired because her age would be more appealing to recruits. Just typing out loud

Notre Dame got Brunelle and Peoples, Stanford got Jones, Pretchel, Belibi as well as 2020 Brink.

Reaction Score
I wish her all the luck in the world. Never held it against a kid who gives an honest effort and finds they can't give what UConn expects, or they want a chance to play more. Now the few players who give it half a season I never root for.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry @MilfordHusky, I guess I brain-spasmed and replied to your post. Didn't mean to.

I was just wondering the other day whether she would go at the break play out the full season. Now I know.

Well, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm happy she gets a second chance somewhere where she might be able to shine.

Still it makes me sad to see her go. She and her mom were so excited, and it was endearing to hear/read about mom trying to recruit other kids.

I will miss her.

And now we have yet another 2-person class. Gads.
Gus, its always disappointing when someone leaves. But she thinks another option will be better for her, and she is, of course, free to pursue that. Maybe she helped us get Christyn. Lexi was definitely an enthusiastic cheerleader.

Reaction Score
2 is technically the correct answer because the NCAA rule states that you lose a year of eligibility if you play in even 1 minute of competition. Lexi played 10 minutes total in 4 games this season. Hardly seems fair so here is a possible solution/ suggestion: Transfer to an AAC school and submit a petition to regain that 3rd year of eligibility. Such a waiver request does not have to involve the NCAA and can be administered entirely by the AAC. With UCONN support this would be a no brainer to get approved within the conference. SMU is less than an hour from her home.

I don't think that is correct. Conferences on their own can rules on medical hardship waiver eligibility, but I don't think they have any authority to just ignore NCAA rules. What if they decided to give everyone six years of eligibility?

Reaction Score
Maybe Lexi can apply for a red shirt since she has played in 4 games, but missed 2 due to injury.

No. You can only get a medical hardship waiver (sometimes called a redshirt but not by the bylaws) if you have a season-ending injury. Pretty clear she does not have that.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I stated previously that I just don't understand what someone can learn by getting to play 2-3 min a game at garbage time, that cannot be fun. If I have a daughter unless she is a top-notch talent, I would not want her to play for Geno.

If my daughter wanted to play for Geno, and understood that that may mean being bench player - I'm all good with it. Being coached by the best coach ever and for the best Women's basketball program ever is worth it.

Remember when Doris Burke said that if she had had an opportunity to be coached by him - she would have jumped at it - I think there is a very good reason she said that and that comes from someone who knows the sport and coaches intimately.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I stated previously that I just don't understand what someone can learn by getting to play 2-3 min a game at garbage time, that cannot be fun. If I have a daughter unless she is a top-notch talent, I would not want her to play for Geno.
Why recruit 12+ players when all you will ever meaningfully use is 7-8?

I don't know how long you have been following the UCONN women but it's pretty clear you just don't
"get" the program and the coach's system. Much of what is instilled in these players goes far beyond the game of basketball. Track down some of the numerous interviews with walk-ons and bench players through the years. UCONN isn't for everyone but the ones who stayed are far better people because of it.

Reaction Score
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

Transfer terms

Under the bylaws, the conferences administer medical hardship waiver requests (sometimes called medical redshirts). But the NCAA administers requests to grant another year of eligibility, contrary to the rules, in cases where an athlete is asking for a sixth year or waiver of certain transfer rules or waiver of certain progress towards degree rules, etc.

Reaction Score
Besides the Ivy League are there any NON NLI conferences?

No. Having said that, there are some athletes who refuse to sign the NLI and end up using a scholarship contract that gives them more freedom to get out of the agreement in case of things like coaching changes.

Reaction Score
Since there are all kinds of waivers, let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. The specific waiver request I am talking about for Lexi is a request to retain a year of eligibility for THIS SEASON. The rationale is that she has only played 10 minutes this season. If Lexi were to transfer to another AAC school this waiver request can be entirely adjudicated by the AAC. The NCCA has delegated broad powers to the athletic conferences regarding Intraconference waivers. The rules and approval process vary by sport and conference. Some conferences simply require agreement between the Athletic Directors to grant this type of waiver others require a majority vote of member institutions.

Under the NCAA bylaws, the conference cannot grant this sort of request. It would have to go to the NCAA and would not be granted. Can you show any examples where what you say has ever been done?

Reaction Score
Sorry, but you're incorrect. The NCAA gives student/athletes 5 years to have four years of eligibility; therefore, this is only year two for Lexi. Just like Sadie Edwards did and Samarie Walker before her, by transferring in the fall semester, Lexi will be eligible in the spring of 2020 to complete her "second year of eligibility. Thus, she would then have two more full years to complete her four years of eligibility in her five years.

That is not accurate. She has now burned two years of eligibility. When she next plays, she will be working on her third year.

Reaction Score
Dead to me. I shall speak of her no more.
Really? How childish.. dead to you?? I hope just about everything is dead to you. Heartless. She wants to play basketball. Dead to you... I hope you never spoke of her ever, she feels like she can play basketball somewhere else at a decent level. Let the girl make her choice. Dead to you lol. How awful. Never speak of her again, if another human being is "dead to you" for making the best decision for herself. Please follow through with that. Disgraceful

Reaction Score

Are you a UConn fan...if so, what am I missing here?

1. If you are, have you enjoyed the past 23 years? You will watch Geno's teams but you would tell your daughter to go elsewhere...got it.
2. If not, then I can understand your position.

Reaction Score
I hope Lexie does well where ever she goes.

Basically, Geno recruits starters and subs. If the subs are ranked in the top 50's, they expect to play more or they will transfer. If they are less serviceable, then Geno complains that he has no subs and the level of play when they come in is not UConn standard.

Once in a while, the subs play over their heads and they win championships. Other times they are just a very good team with missing pieces. Geno does what he does best and he is more right than wrong.

It is the same thing for every team. Transfers will always occur. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hope Lexie does well where ever she goes.

Basically, Geno recruits starters and subs. If the subs are ranked in the top 50's, they expect to play more or they will transfer. If they are less serviceable, then Geno complains that he has no subs and the level of play when they come in is not UConn standard.

Once in a while, the subs play over their heads and they win championships. Other times they are just a very good team with missing pieces. Geno does what he does best and he is more right than wrong.

It is the same thing for every team. Transfers will always occur. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Huh?

Reaction Score
I also wish Lexi and all other transfers (past and future) their best of luck. I don't see "transfers" being anything different than everyday employees in companies. Once you get hired you may find your boss is an (expletive) and difficult to work with. At that point you can try to stick with it and see if it gets any better, if not then you have one other option.

Reaction Score
The issue with your methodology is that when players leave/transfer or are injured mid-season the minutes per game get skewed.

I have previously calculated the minute distribution by the number of players used in a game. I have attached the chart below.
  • Red is fewer players played
  • Blue is more players played
The 2018-19 numbers should go down once we get to our conference schedule.

You can draw your own conclusions.

View attachment 37195

Nice use of Excel

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Under the NCAA bylaws, the conference cannot grant this sort of request. It would have to go to the NCAA and would not be granted. Can you show any examples where what you say has ever been done?
Not that I can share publicly. Please check you in box.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom