Let's just stop (announcers etc.) with the "controversial no-call" at the end of the game. [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Let's just stop (announcers etc.) with the "controversial no-call" at the end of the game. [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was it a foul on replay and slowed down? Yeah, probably, but Carrington also made the decision to drive to the basket and into a double team with seconds left and no guarantee on a bailout call. And even if a foul was called, that doesn't mean a Baylor win either. There were a few seconds left at that point and Carrington would have had to make the FTs. Carrington was a guard driving into UConn's 6'5" and 6'3" post players, not the best move with seconds to go.

I get that people are up in arms about this one cause the 4 second slowed-down clip and screenshots look bad, but in that moment, Carrington was looking for a foul, not a good shot. And that's what hurt Baylor in the end. Frustrating that this is what people will take away from this game, that 4 second slowed down clip and screenshot. They should see the whole 16 second play and the decisions Carrington made that got her to that position.

This game was another piece in a years long story of terrible referees in the women's game. And it's been on full display this tournament. Sometimes it benefits one team, sometimes neither team, sometimes it just causes games to get out of hand and physical and players can get hurt.

Reaction Score
As a Louisville fan who still hasn't gotten over the non-call at the end of regulation in the Louisville-Miss State national semifinal in 2018, I don't buy the "referee shouldn't decide a close game" logic.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
In general, and regardless of which teams it involves, referees are reluctant to call a foul on a play like that at the end of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno told them during the last timeout that if Baylor gets a good opportunity close-in, defend it as aggressively as possible and don't worry about a foul call.

The refs wouldn't have made that call if the uniforms had been reversed, i.e., if it were UConn attempting a shot and Baylor defending. Nor should they, in my opinion.

It's the famous practice of "swallowing the whistle" so that the ref doesn't decide the game on a debatable call. If the refs had made that call in that situation (earlier in the game is different), they probably would have been downgraded by whoever evaluates tournament referees.

I remember a similar situation in a Notre Dame - Mississippi State tournament game a few years ago (2018?). Marina Mabrey arguably fouled a Miss State player at the end of the game after having the ball stolen, but no call was made. There were a lot of complaints on the Boneyard about that, but it's another example of the same thing.

There was no arguable. She ran her over. That was blatant.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As a Louisville fan who still hasn't gotten over the non-call at the end of regulation in the Louisville-Miss State national semifinal in 2018, I don't buy the "referee shouldn't decide a close game" logic.
I agree. You gotta call the first quarter and the fourth quarter the same.

This game was awfully officiated the whole time lol

(Also no one mentions the fake fouls that sent carring to the line for ONO’s third foul or the one where griffin was in perfect position.

Reaction Score
After Mowins stops talking about the Game’s ending, she’ll start up on visiting the Alamo and the best place to order Enchiladas. Anything but calling the game she is there to do. We’re lucky we got the two best commenters for our game.

Reaction Score
But on the sequence before that Baylor got to the line and hit 2 FT's on what looked like a phantom call. Not to mention Paige, CW and Aubrey all getting fouled on drives to the basket with no calls on Baylor. But by all means lets focus on the last play. From talking heads who largely were silent when Texas A&M won two consecutive games on BS calls.
THANK YOU COUNTLESS CALLS WEREN’T CALLED THROUGHOUT THE GAME WHEN UCONN ATTACKED THE BASKET

Reaction Score
After Mowins stops talking about the Game’s ending, she’ll start up on visiting the Alamo and the best place to order Enchiladas. Anything but calling the game she is there to do. We’re lucky we got the two best commenters for our game.
And then toss it to Holly Rowe who will tell us how a player grew up poor and had to eat breakfast at Denny's, and how they've come full circle to eat at a San Antonio Denny's every morning with their family during the tournament.

Reaction Score
No point arguing with Mowens or Antonelli as my father said you can't fix stu***.

No mention of UConn not having a point guard or both uconn Bigs missing half a game with foul trouble. Horrible commentary very unbalanced. Like those things did not affect uconn.

No point arguing with Mowens or Antonelli as my father said you can't fix stu***.

No mention of UConn not having a point guard or both uconn Bigs missing half a game with foul trouble. Horrible commentary very unbalanced. Like those things did not affect uconn.
Also I never once her about the fact that Baylor was effectively playing a home game. These announcers are just bad at what they do. I will isten to the game with the audio off from now on.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well I guess the NCAA will put UConn on as the late game on Friday to give them less rest than the other team who makes it to the Final Four. I don't see UConn losing to either team that is playing now, be it Arizona or Indiana.

Reaction Score
Well I guess the NCAA will put UConn on as the late game on Friday to give them less rest than the other team who makes it to the Final Four. I don't see UConn losing to either team that is playing now, be it Arizona or Indiana.
Inconsequential. UConn has by far the easiest path to the title game. I mean it's 43-42 after 3 quarters against our semi-final opponent. Meanwhile South Carolina and Stanford will have their hands full just trying to get to the title game. We paid our dues tonight. They will pay theirs in the semi-final game.

Reaction Score
As good as the refs were in the Iowa game, these were so bad. But if you do not call fouls all game, do not even think about it on that play so late in the game. All game Lobo and Ruocco ignored Baylor bashing UConn, and then they get indignant. Seems like Lobo is so concerned with being called a homer, she tries to compensate. As far as Mowins is concerned, she has yet to watch a game she is announcing. She just prattles on about crap all game. So no surprise she talks about the game she did not call.
Last line there made me LOL!!! ? ?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Inconsequential. UConn has by far the easiest path to the title game. I mean it's 43-42 after 3 quarters against our semi-final opponent. Meanwhile South Carolina and Stanford will have their hands full just trying to get to the title game. We paid our dues tonight. They will pay theirs in the semi-final game.
Hope the other semi-final goes into triple overtime. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many times did Baylor mug Paige and not get called for a foul? How many over the back blocks were not called? It's ridiculous to whine about that one call.

Go back and look at the rest of the favorable calls Baylor got ALL GAME, then come back and have a discussion.

Baylor did not lose because of that call. The game was close because of all the rest of the no calls that Baylor got away with.
On a fast break in the fourth quarter, Williams got grabbed by a Baylor player and had to pull her hand away and lay the ball in. An official was standing right there and called nothing.

Reaction Score
Hope the other semi-final goes into triple overtime. :rolleyes:
It's going to be tough for whoever it is. If it's South Carolina-Stanford in that game, both are gonna have to fight to the finish like we did tonight. That's a big ask to have your team come out and do it again 48 hours later against UConn. Of the four teams left on that side of the bracket, there really aren't any easy matchups to be had the rest of the way.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Found this online. Just gonna leave it here.....

Attachments

• 965196B5-AC9E-4BAD-BAB8-68D2FF41BB06.jpeg
    965196B5-AC9E-4BAD-BAB8-68D2FF41BB06.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads