Let's just stop (announcers etc.) with the "controversial no-call" at the end of the game. [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Let's just stop (announcers etc.) with the "controversial no-call" at the end of the game. [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And the reason why Carrington/Mulkey have no business b******* about a non-call.
I don’t want to hear any crying or whining about Carrington’s no call. There were a lot of no calls that UConn did not get. If the refs are making bad calls or no calls on BOTH ends of the court, you can’t complain.

Perhaps if UConn would have received a call resulting in a possession, maybe they score and the game is a two possession game at the end. The ball bounced UConn’s way tonight. Crying to the media and anyone else that will listen won’t change the outcome. Call it an “ugly” win if you want to, but I’ll take it!!

Bottom line, this was not Baylor’s year. Geno should not have to answer questions about that no-call. It wasn’t his call, nor did the refs consult him before that play.

Reaction Score
Championship calibre game from two heavyweights. Too bad we can't have championship quality officiating. But this is nothing new so spare me the hand wringing - talking studio heads. I'm sure Peck will also blame the entire loss on Didi getting hurt while we we're down a starter and nobody said jack about that.
So didnt Paige drop 13 points in the first half with Didi on her? Paige creates her own shoot and drilled the first score for the game in Didi's face. So not sure what the hoopla is because the only person that stops Paige is honestly when she is off for a small streak of shots (rarely).

Reaction Score
I was looking forward to watching the highlights on ESPN, but they are obsessed with the non-call instead of the great game. You would think ESPN would want to promote great players & competitve rivalries. But instead they highlight the deficiencies of the officiating.

Reaction Score
A bad call is the refs didn't call a foul even if is a foul and did 'f watch the video. In this case one ref didn't call a foul. then 3 refs watch the video for 5 mins and decide if is not a foul. This is not a foul to me and the refs.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I liked Geno's response to the question regarding the no call on the last play. He said, he didn't look at the play, but, if he was to look at it then he would like to look at all the plays in the first half where they shot 11 foul shots and UConn shot 2. He went on to say, that a call is a call and you have to live with it, that referees make the call they think they need to make. He finished by saying he wasn't going to go back and look at the 11 foul shots in the first so that he was't going to go back and look at the last one either. I also think it stinks that anyone would try to tarnish the accomplishment these young kids just made by doting on the last play of the game...there was 39 minutes and 55 seconds of incredible play that deserves to be recognized.

I had to add this as I heard the end of Geno's interview where he was asked about Lebron James saying it was a foul. He responded with his usual sense of humor saying, "I don't think that Lebron James ever won a game on a bad call, has he?" I don't recall him ever saying he would give the game to the other team because there was a bad call made. It really is just silly to focus on the last play of the game...when you have all that preceded it. Geno was also right to point out that Baylor should have been a number one seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No foul called.

I would not call that an obvious foul.. The Baylor player knocks the ball loose. They are both going for the loos ball. Paige is not knocked down but is going down to secure the ball. Generally on scrums like this they do not call fouls. You can see this all the time even though technically it should be but it is never called till there is a held ball.

Reaction Score
Championship calibre game from two heavyweights. Too bad we can't have championship quality officiating. But this is nothing new so spare me the hand wringing - talking studio heads. I'm sure Peck will also blame the entire loss on Didi getting hurt while we we're down a starter and nobody said jack about that.
As a Red Sox fan, I hate the Yankee's. I don't hate them because they're insignificant. I hate them because they're almost always good (It pains me to even type those words). Nobody hates the insignificant ones. If UConn WBB wasn't unquestionably the greatest program in NCAA basketball history (men's or women's) there wouldn't be haters. So let them gripe. And then lets have the greatest program in NCAA basketball history give the haters two more reasons to fume at UConn starting on Friday and concluding on Monday. They can always chose to non-watch (yes, a deliberate play on "non-call") victory parade #12 if that makes them feel better.

Reaction Score
Deb Antonelli has hated UConn ever since the UConn Tennessee rivalry days. Antonelli, Carolyn Peck, Beth Mowins and a few others in the ESPN crowd have never been fans of Geno and his program.
They have a deep seeded jealousy of UCONN and greatly resent UCONN's enormous success, as it has far surpassed that of Tennessee.
Peck also doesn't like Geno 'cuz he's a great coach and she couldn't coach a peewee team.
Don't underestimate the fact that many many women, hate it that a male is the dominant coaching icon in a female sport. They feel it doesn't give shine to deserving females. Thus they'll root for Programs with female coaches when going against a male led program.

Reaction Score
If they want to harp on the last shot no-call, they might make the observation that if you allow a 19-0 run in the 2nd half of an elite eight game there is a lot more blame to go around than just a no-call. On top of that, jealousy is not one of the more attractive of human emotions.
But they will tell you it only happened cuz that girl injured her hamstring. They conveniently "forget" to mention that UCONN was shorthanded the whole game because a talented STARTER has been injured for past 2 games.
It's as if Baylor has a monopoly on injuries.

Reaction Score
Can I add? That the Uconn "hate" is totally disrespectful to the group of young talented players that we currently have and what they have accomplished.
Their hard work and effort is totally dismissed in the Uconn lore of the past. Having "Uconn" on their jerseys, does not put one shot in the basket, or grab one rebound. These so-called ESPN experts are just a bunch of jerks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I liked Geno's response to the question regarding the no call on the last play. He said, he didn't look at the play, but, if he was to look at it then he would like to look at all the plays in the first half where they shot 11 foul shots and UConn shot 2. He went on to say, that a call is a call and you have to live with it, that referees make the call they think they need to make. He finished by saying he wasn't going to go back and look at the 11 foul shots in the first so that he was't going to go back and look at the last one either. I also think it stinks that anyone would try to tarnish the accomplishment these young kids just made by doting on the last play of the game...there was 39 minutes and 55 seconds of incredible play that deserves to be recognized.

I had to add this as I heard the end of Geno's interview where he was asked about Lebron James saying it was a foul. He responded with his usual sense of humor saying, "I don't think that Lebron James ever won a game on a bad call, has he?" I don't recall him ever saying he would give the game to the other team because there was a bad call made. It really is just silly to focus on the last play of the game...when you have all that preceded it. Geno was also right to point out that Baylor should have been a number one seed.
The LeBron reference = another dumb @&$ question/remark from a reporter that had absolutely nothing to do with the game. The NCAA should suspend that person’s press credentials the remainder of the tournament.

Who cares what LeBron or anyone else thinks? He does not have a dog in this hunt. It only matters what the ref thinks........good or bad.

I don’t believe that one UConn fan is denying or suggesting that was not a foul. It wasn’t called, so let’s move on. They are not going to reverse the call and send Carrington to the line where she would probably make both free throws. It’s over and in the books. I’ll bet this will be a topic of discussion the rest of the week.

That non call is going to bug Kim, her staff and the returning players all summer. Every time they think about that play, they’ll think about what might have been. ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01