Let's just stop (announcers etc.) with the "controversial no-call" at the end of the game. [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Let's just stop (announcers etc.) with the "controversial no-call" at the end of the game. [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly. That was my point. They hate UConn for being the most successful program in NCAA basketball history. After Geno retires there will be a thousand other reason to hate UConn if the team continues to dominate.

Reaction Score
Clearly the angle at which the closest referees saw the play had a lot to do with the no call. One ref was viewing the backs of the UConn players and one was viewing the back of the shooter. Neither was perpendicular to the play to see any contact. From their view it was a difficult fall away jumper with questionable contact. The photos of contact are interesting, but aren’t taken thru the eyes of a ref. Click on photo to see both nearby refs

Attachments

• F9ECA3E4-2E25-41FF-AE0D-95ED7E603CF2.jpeg
    F9ECA3E4-2E25-41FF-AE0D-95ED7E603CF2.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just thought that the final play was a culmination of the officials allowing the game to be decided by the players, and NOT the officials. So many times we hear; "Just let them play", when there are countless ticky-tack fouls called. Monday night, the official "let them play".
Great game, played by 2 great teams.
Baylor: hold your head up.
UConn, bring the prize back home where it belongs.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
LeBron makes me miss Kobe Bryant all the more, an actual Women’s Basketball Super Supporter, Mentor and Coach...
Who loved the Women’s game...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just saw the battle of the Greenberg's on ESPN's show Get Up. Host Mike Greenberg trying to paint the missed foul call as a crime against humanity (bringing up Lebron and Geno's daughter tweets of course) while Seth basically saying, yes it was a foul, should have been called but this is one of many. He was then critical of Kim for bringing it up saying it should be left for others to argue, And then he said, maybe Baylor should have done a better job stopping Paige Bueckers who was transcendent Well, Mikey just pouted a bit and ended the segment. Too bad, ESPN kept the wrong Mike. :(

Reaction Score
LoL. Lebron calling out the refs. That's rich. The man has made a living getting phantom fouls as he barrels into the lane.

Lebron commenting about anything relating to fouls or violations makes about as much sense as having the fox guard the henhouse.

Reaction Score
When you are the King of the Hill everyone wants to take a shot at you.

Reaction Score
How many times did Baylor mug Paige and not get called for a foul? How many over the back blocks were not called? It's ridiculous to whine about that one call.

Go back and look at the rest of the favorable calls Baylor got ALL GAME, then come back and have a discussion.

Baylor did not lose because of that call. The game was close because of all the rest of the no calls that Baylor got away with.
Look carefully, this is a block not a foul, refs make good decision on this.

View attachment 66394
I didn't see nuthin. Same as when Paige got the two-handed push from Carrington or Williams on the layup and she pumped and got fouled. It ain't a foul unless its called a foul by the whistle. It's about time we got a break at the end of the big game. The last two tournament losses against Notre Dame and Mississippi State were heart breakers. Let's go Huskies!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The refs set the tone early that they were going to let them play. Whether you like that or not, they were consistent throughout the game.

You can easily watch the game again and come up 15-20 no calls.

In 2 weeks, no one will remember the game anyway.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So, some of you don't understand stop means?

y'all do understand they won, right? And some of you want to whine about a non-call? Get a life.

Thread locked. Names taken.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Poster Josey Wales says why the final play was a no-call;
It has been a few years since I have called however the reason the call was missed on Carrington is the baseline official was out of position. He stayed on the opposite side of the Lane and got straight lined meaning he was looking at the play from behind the defensive players. I am not sure if the mechanics have been changed the last few years however in all my 22 years of officiating bb I always moved to the other side of lane when the ball transitioned from left to right. If he had moved over he would been in perfect position to look between the players and even a rookie ref would have been able to make the call...when the baseline official moves across the Lane the trail becomes the c and the lady which was the c would move to trail which would have given her a better angle as well...you absolutely cannot miss such a critical call in such a big game.. the solution to this issue is simple. the women's game needs to be able to use both the men's pool and the women's pool at the sweet 16 level and on...this was one of the worst missed calls I have ever seen and if it had happen to uconn I would be saying the same thing...no excuse the ref in question should be fired period.

However, to me the call was consistent to the way the refs called the whole game. Like we did in the school yard; "No blood, no foul"

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Well stated by that Baylor poster but I find it hard to believe. In my opinion, it seems to me that many foul calls are made by refs that assume a foul was committed and this play probably should have been called but the ref in question instead decided that the referees were not going to decide the outcome with less than 1 second left in the game. They chose not to review it, except for the time element.

Reaction Score
There were quite a few non calls that seemed pretty obvious. BUT, that happens in every game. Unfortunately, this one was magnified as it was a game changer.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Truth be told, there were so many missed calls and/or no calls when fouls were committed by Baylor during the game. Refs made mistakes but they really favored Baylor if the whole game was taken into account. There are plenty of stills and videos showing Baylor fouls and no calls.

Reaction Score
Well stated by that Baylor poster but I find it hard to believe. In my opinion, it seems to me that many foul calls are made by refs that assume a foul was committed and this play probably should have been called but the ref in question instead decided that the referees were not going to decide the outcome with less than 1 second left in the game. They chose not to review it, except for the time element.
From what they were saying on the broadcast, there was no option to review the call. All they could review was timing. Was that incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom