Lets just blame Phil Nolan for everything including the recruiting, bad weather and global warming ! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lets just blame Phil Nolan for everything including the recruiting, bad weather and global warming !

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
... I respectfully dont agree with and can do so with out the name calling and insults You are probably one of those overly aggressive (rude) drivers who behave so bravely within the safe confines of you 2ton vehicle.
This is amazing. You say you can do so without (one word, not two) insults and immediately after the word 'insult' proceed to insult him. And without the necessary punctuation to boot. Stunning really. Tell me you are not a UConn grad.

Reaction Score
Still just as terrible a poster as you were last summer, how nice of you to show up now while you were invisible during the title run.

Reaction Score
This is amazing. You say you can do so without (one word, not two) insults and immediately after the word 'insult' proceed to insult him. And without the necessary punctuation to boot. Stunning really. Tell me you are not a UConn grad.
He called me dumb, I said he was probably rude. One is most definitely an insult (a statement) the other is a supposition. Hope your not a Uconn grad. Thanks

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He called me dumb, I said he was probably rude. One is most definitely an insult (a statement) the other is a supposition. Hope your not a Uconn grad. Thanks
No - I went to a much better college where they taught me the difference between your and you're. If you are trying to insult someone by questioning their college education, it's best to spell the words in the insult correctly.

Reaction Score
Still just as terrible a poster as you were last summer, how nice of you to show up now while you were invisible during the title run.
Was gonna say the usual suspects are starting to come out. Freescooter should be making an appearance soon.

Reaction Score
I never missed a Uconn game in 20 or so years while in Ct. I have not missed one in Fl in 14 years here. We even went to the 99 NC game in Tampa right before we moved here. 32 hr bus ride each way , left Hartford sunday morning with my 14 yr old daughter after we beat Ohio St. Stranded in Tampa all nite till Greyhound reopened @6: oo am, had a blast , one of my fondest memories of all time! Maybe I was to busy making plans for last minute travel arrangements to Texas in case we made it . Guess what Uconn made it and so did we. How many NC games have you attended ? I'm @ 2 and counting. I'm not a fair weather fan, and you are still wrong. I said recruiting sucked, it did then and it still does. Thanks

Reaction Score
I never missed a Uconn game in 20 or so years while in Ct. I have not missed one in Fl in 14 years here. We even went to the 99 NC game in Tampa right before we moved here. 32 hr bus ride each way , left Hartford sunday morning with my 14 yr old daughter after we beat Ohio St. Stranded in Tampa all nite till Greyhound reopened @6: oo am, had a blast , one of my fondest memories of all time! Maybe I was to busy making plans for last minute travel arrangements to Texas in case we made it . Guess what Uconn made it and so did we. How many NC games have you attended ? I'm @ 2 and counting. I'm not a fair weather fan, and you are still wrong. I said recruiting sucked, it did then and it still does. Thanks
Sincerely curious. Are you aware this rant addresses nothing in aceboon's post, and you're just choosing to rant, or do you actually believe this makes sense as a response to his post?

And another question. What recruiting sucks? The recruiting we did to bring in the players that won the national title in 2011? The recruiting we did to bring in the players that won the national title in 2014? The recruiting last year? The recruiting for next year?

Reaction Score
Not looking for a date so I have no interest in hearing your life story, you post negative garbage after ever loss or recruiting miss, but when the team wins or someone commits we would have to put out an Amber alert to find you. You're act is tired, try a new gimmick.

Reaction Score
Sincerely curious. Are you aware this rant addresses nothing in aceboon's post, and you're just choosing to rant, or do you actually believe this makes sense as a response to his post?

And another question. What recruiting sucks? The recruiting we did to bring in the players that won the national title in 2011? The recruiting we did to bring in the players that won the national title in 2014? The recruiting last year? The recruiting for next year?
The insinuation is I only post when things are not going well. I actually read the BY on my phone when I'm on the road, and I very seldom have the time to post but I hit a lot of likes. What recruiting are you talking about. I'm talking about this year and next. Players are going to schools that are 3 and 4 deep at a position that we are weak at, but the common excuse on the BY is they won't come here because of a lack of playing time. Gtown, power foward and center that we lost to them for example.

Reaction Score
Not looking for a date so I have no interest in hearing your life story, you post negative garbage after ever loss or recruiting miss, but when the team wins or someone commits we would have to put out an Amber alert to find you. You're act is tired, try a new gimmick.
Obviosly you can't count or embellishment is your specialty. We have 7 losses but I have made but 1 post. You sir are a **cking liar.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Obviosly you can't count or embellishment is your specialty. We have 7 losses but I have made but 1 post. You sir are a **cking liar.
We'd rather you make no posts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Also I'm surprised no one has brought this up, can a mod or someone make the thread title smaller? It's like an eye sore on the top of the board.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Although I agree that the poster could use an English lesson or two, it might be just a little more productive to comment on the content of the post rather than the sentence and paragraph structure. This was obviously a stream of consciousness post possibly aided by a cocktail or two. That being said, there was some validity to parts of the post.

I know it still January and UConn teams show their improvement in March, but I have really not seen a lot of incremental improvements in the past month. Brimah is about the same and Hamilton is regressing. Maybe Purvis has improved a bit, and certainly Omar has come on, but that's all I see. The comment about the team coming out flat is also true - we have seen that repeatedly. The Ollie lack of passion and the lack of in game adjustments have been discussed elsewhere so I won't beat these dead horses. Suffice it to say, these appear to be issues.

Another thing which concerns me, and which wasn't discussed in the above post, is the effect that this year will have on future recruiting. Yes, I know its not over and that we can run the table in the tournament, but at this point I really don't see that happening. Ollie hasn't exactly hit a home run with his post-championship recruiting either, so this season certainly won't help in that regard.

Just some random and hopefully coherent and grammatically correct thoughts in response to the initial post.

1) No. If you're going to ask people to spend their time reading their thoughts, at least respect their time by presenting in some coherent manner.

2) There is no easier way to draw huffy responses here than to express concerns about recruiting. If you look at where we were in June with prospective recruits, we thought a top-rated recruiting class was possible. Adams, great. Enoch. Very good. After that, it's been a very steady stream of 'no' and the entirety of it is a disappointment relative to the title and new facility.

I'm worried as well.

Reaction Score
The insinuation is I post when things are not going well. I actually read the BY on my phone when I'm on the road, and I very seldom have the time to post but I hit a lot of likes. What recruiting are you talking about. I'm talking about this year and next. Players are going to schools that are 3 and 4 deep at a position that we are weak at, but the common excuse on the BY is they won't come here because of a lack of playing time. Gtown, power foward and center that we lost to them for example.
I would say that's accurate. You rarely post anything positive, and basically just show up here to whine about s hit.

And while we're clearly not crushing it on the recruiting trail (although we've done very well) you're severely inflating the number of players that are committing to schools that are 3-4 deep at their positions. It may be the case in the alternate reality you live in, along with all the Calhoun teams that have never quit, etc, but in actual reality, it's not.

But hey, maybe someday we'll get to the recruiting level of that Georgetown team you mentioned. One final four and no championshps over the past 30 years sounds pretty sweet. I certainly have my fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
UConniki said:
The insinuation is I only post when things are not going well. I actually read the BY on my phone when I'm on the road, and I very seldom have the time to post but I hit a lot of likes. What recruiting are you talking about. I'm talking about this year and next. Players are going to schools that are 3 and 4 deep at a position that we are weak at, but the common excuse on the BY is they won't come here because of a lack of playing time. Gtown, power foward and center that we lost to them for example.

I've used that as an excuse for Mack and Clarke, since they play DHam's position and DHam is higher rated and only one year older. I still think that's a pretty fair assessment, especially based on their own quotes (and we will have Omar as a senior at their position too). Govan's choice probably had more to do with the fact that the Gtown staff has a better track record at sending bigs to the pros than our current staff does (one reason Brimah's development is key - if we can get a 3 star big to the NBA, it takes that angle away). Briscoe was UK or bust and got his UK offer. There isn't a catch-all reason that explains why everyone chooses other places.

We are in our first recruiting cycle where Ollie has a national title and isn't an unknown commodity as a head coach. He's gotten two top 25 guys in the last two years after a top 25 transfer (and hopefully Enoch is coming into his own too and is closer to an immediate impact guy than the project many wrote him off as after a slow start at St Thomas More). The Ali commit/decommit set us back a little in this cycle as well - we didn't go after any other wing/slashers over those months. Just one of those things.

A little more patience is needed. I think 2016 is a very important class, and we will have a better sense of where things stand after that cycle.

Reaction Score
I've used that as an excuse for Mack and Clarke, since they play DHam's position and DHam is higher rated and only one year older. I still think that's a pretty fair assessment, especially based on their own quotes (and we will have Omar as a senior at their position too). Govan's choice probably had more to do with the fact that the Gtown staff has a better track record at sending bigs to the pros than our current staff does (one reason Brimah's development is key - if we can get a 3 star big to the NBA, it takes that angle away). Briscoe was UK or bust and got his UK offer. There isn't a catch-all reason that explains why everyone chooses other places.

We are in our first recruiting cycle where Ollie has a national title and isn't an unknown commodity as a head coach. He's gotten two top 25 guys in the last two years after a top 25 transfer (and hopefully Enoch is coming into his own too and is closer to an immediate impact guy than the project many wrote him off as after a slow start at St Thomas More). The Ali commit/decommit set us back a little in this cycle as well - we didn't go after any other wing/slashers over those months. Just one of those things.

A little more patience is needed. I think 2016 is a very important class, and we will have a better sense of where things stand after that cycle.

2016 is very important to recruiting and it scares me to think how much this years squad is neutralizing or negating the momentum of last years title for that particular class. It's not pretty for now, the brand of basketball is not pretty therefore the close will be extremely difficult. Hence the need for someone to step us as a closer or someone to combine as one as others have acknowledged.

Reaction Score
I would say that's accurate. You rarely post anything positive, and basically just show up here to whine about s hit.

And while we're clearly not crushing it on the recruiting trail (although we've done very well) you're severely inflating the number of players that are committing to schools that are 3-4 deep at their positions. It may be the case in the alternate reality you live in, along with all the Calhoun teams that have never quit, etc, but in actual reality, it's not.

But hey, maybe someday we'll get to the recruiting level of that Georgetown team you mentioned. One final four and no championshps over the past 30 years sounds pretty sweet. I certainly have my fingers crossed.
Not crushing it is quite the understatement. And I never said that Gtown recruited better then us, they have no guards, just that they signed more than a few recruits that we were after, 2 small and 2 power fowards and 1 center that we wanted. It was posted by some one on here that they had a rediculous number of scholarships tied up , something like 8 or 9 at those spots. If teams quit on Calhoun he certainly didn't quit on them. Some one today used the analogy that 1 time Calhoun ignored the team during a time out, I saw the game. He was pissed, angry, furious. ( passion, fire, whatever ). He didn't do it for the whole game. He was making a point. What point did Ollie make by being passive the last 2 games. Because if there was a point to be made he certainly did not get it across to the team. I'm not the only person to state this. Thanks

Reaction Score
Not crushing it is quite the understatement. And I never said that Gtown recruited better then us, they have no guards, just that they signed more than a few recruits that we were after, 2 small and 2 power fowards and 1 center that we wanted. It was posted by some one on here that they had a rediculous number of scholarships tied up , something like 8 or 9 at those spots. If teams quit on Calhoun he certainly didn't quit on them. Some one today used the analogy that 1 time Calhoun ignored the team during a time out, I saw the game. He was pissed, angry, furious. ( passion, fire, whatever ). He didn't do it for the whole game. He was making a point. What point did Ollie make by being passive the last 2 games. Because if there was a point to be made he certainly did not get it across to the team. I'm not the only person to state this. Thanks
You truly seem to be a clueless person.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Some one today used the analogy that 1 time Calhoun ignored the team during a time out, I saw the game.
You keep cracking me up more and more. You claim to be a UConn fan and saw the one game that Calhoun ignored the team during a time out? He did this constantly through the years, not once in one game. Claiming you saw the one game when he did this is just hilarious.

Oh, for the record, it's someone, not some one and it's an example, not an analogy.

You are a serious never ending train wreck of posting.

Reaction Score
jleves said:
You keep cracking me up more and more. You claim to be a UConn fan and saw the one game that Calhoun ignored the team during a time out? He did this constantly through the years, not once in one game. Claiming you saw the one game when he did this is just hilarious. Oh, for the record, it's someone, not some one and it's an example, not an analogy. You are a serious never ending train wreck of posting.

Another common JC thing was to determine his team wasn't doing what he wanted, so there was no point in trying any more and sit there petulantly on the bench, essentially telling his team "if you don't care, I don't either" - I don't consider that quitting so much as trying to instill something in his team for the long term, but it could easily be construed as such. "We're paying you to coach, and you're giving up in the middle of a game?"

JC's fire and brimstone methods aren't for everyone - and they didn't always work with all of his own teams. 2010 and 2012 are obvious examples because those were down seasons, but everybody played harder than us in 2006 and we'd win most of the time anyway on talent. But when we needed a stop, George Mason scored on 15 straight possessions with the Final Four on the line.

Ollie's top concern may be trying to build confidence in some key guys - Purvis, Hamilton, Facey in particular. We know Omar is playing with some confidence again, but can be fragile. Effort hasn't been a huge problem this year for the most part (rebounding vs Stanford and some transition D issues earlier being exceptions), but execution/playmaking has. Ollie's long NBA career also maybe makes a difference - fire and brimstone doesn't work over 82 games, and he's probably picked up a lot of that style of coaching demeanor. I'd be more apt to tell him he needs to adapt better to college if we didn't, you know, win the whole thing last year.

Reaction Score
conniki: yo got a two yr old; holy mother of mothers f .. and yo fifty plus yr fan; what kind viagara yo takes
I'm 63 and I have a 23, 13 and 2 year old, meaning I was 40, 50, and 60 when the last of my 6 children were born and lucky me they were ALL BOYS!

Reaction Score
next yr dogs have : lubin, nolan, amoeba, kenihop, purv, jr, tsam, calhoun, dham

rookie dept: adams, enoch

2 ghosts wit schollies

rookies = hope; ghosts=scary with injuries this campaign

what other big boy program would invest further to attempt to develop any of first nine based on their in-basket exercise achievements and eye test midterms to date?

if i am general manager of any big boy franchise & play for keeps which i dooz: i says cut my losses nowsa and clean house pronto of entire skeleton crew and i donts waits til halloween to dooz it

my eval for majority of first nine is they were roster fill ins when real prospects say nada; if meesa a big power wielding gm wit niceities; i maybe take another yr to work wit calhoun and dham but it very iffy; i says amoebakenihoppruvperv the trois teases never to impact team as needed and other three just schollie utilizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom