LaVols and Holly: Local Dissatisfaction Growing (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

LaVols and Holly: Local Dissatisfaction Growing (merged thread)

Reaction Score
At this point why would Holly still want to coach this program. As others have said, I'm sure she's a decent assistant coach and person but damn, walk away from all this. Swallow your pride and relinquish the reins to someone else...anyone at this point.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
VolNation would have us believe that Holly is toast, the only question being how much longer they should wait. The clear consensus there is to use the axe immediately.

Reaction Score
She's been part of that program for 40 years. Not easy to let go.

Agreed.... but you have to have talk with your people..... and you have to be honest with them....

I read an interview with Earl Weaver of the Orioles... and part of it explained how he approached Brooks Robinson who wanted desperately to keep playing at 3rd base..... while Earl told him why he was going to make a change and start Doug DeCinces

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At this point why would Holly still want to coach this program. As others have said, I'm sure she's a decent assistant coach and person but damn, walk away from all this. Swallow your pride and relinquish the reins to someone else...anyone at this point.

I can give you 675,000 reasons, plus perks and benies ... she likes the money, period.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Man my heart goes out to Holly. She is in a no win situation dealing with the Lady Vols and some of the Vols fans and probably boosters. 5 game losing streak and all of that pressure.

The worse and most embarrassing part of that losing streak is that 4 of those losses are to UNRANKED teams that aren’t nearly as talented, but found a way to win. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
VolNation would have us believe that Holly is toast, the only question being how much longer they should wait. The clear consensus there is to use the axe immediately.

How tolerant, understanding and enthusiastic will the fan base be if Holly returns next year?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I say this with no snark or derision- Holly is a competitor, first and foremost, she also works very hard at her craft, is very driven to make the LV great again. The real issue is she simply does not have the skill set to correctly assess the situation on how to prepare for and coach games. She has never coached under anyone else to understand how to develop offense, fails at replicating Pat's defense and rebounding, and from what I know, all her assistants have never coached at a top tier program before coming to Tennessee, so while Sharrona Reeves is responsible for this great recruiting, none of the coaches are know for development or having been mentored in a winning program. Here's the coaching staff's pedigree (or lack thereof)
Dean Lockwood-15 years with LV, 6yrs. Saginaw Valley-Men, 1 yr. Cent Mich-Men, 5 yrs. Tenn-Men
Sharrona Reeves- 3 yrs. LV, played at Ala, 3 yrs. at Troy, 6 yrs. WV, 2 yrs. HC at LIU, 2 yrs. @MSU, 1 yr. HC at Cent Fla, 3 years not coaching.
Brigette Gordon-2nd yr. LV, played at Tenn, 7 yrs. Wichita St, 3 yrs. Ga St, 5 yrs. Stetson, 1 yr. WNBA regional scout.
This staff leads credence to my point that Holly can't even assess that her staff is not helping her deficiencies.

Tenn projects to finish 18-10 (7-8) and maybe 1-1 in the SEC tournament (according to Massey). That's 19-11 with a final Massey of 45ish and SoS of 45ish. Will that be enough to get them in? Maybe but most likely not. They would get an WNIT bid (which they would accept). I could see her having a great run in the WNIT, gaining experience for the young team.

Would Fulmer relieve her at that point? NO
However, he should demand a purging of the assistant coaches with ONLY Reeves who should be kept due to her coaching prowess. Does Holly have the skillset to hire quality assistants? I bet NO WAY as again, they are too married to the Pat Legacy or SEC legacy.

Just my humble opinion...advise in my errors in logic.

Reaction Score
Tenn projects to finish 18-10 (7-8) and maybe 1-1 in the SEC tournament (according to Massey). That's 19-11 with a final Massey of 45ish and SoS of 45ish. Will that be enough to get them in?

19-11 ? Almost certainly yes that team would be in the NCAAs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You know its bad when The Lady Vols losing streak is mentioned on NATIONAL SPORTS TALK RADIO :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was listening to Fox Sports Radio last night, and the Update Guy talked about the TN Men being ranked #1.... then mentioned that the Lady Vols lost to Arkansas... and that their current losing streak is the longest since 1971??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You all make some good points. Some of the orange folks are delusional as always and think they could land any coach. I can almost guarantee you if she's fired mid season, they will get NO ONE. Not a single coach out there in a quality program should consider jumping ship mid season.

They would likely promote Lockwood as interim head coach and then start their search. The chances of landing anyone like Schaeffer, Graves, Ruek, Walz, Frese, etc etc. are slim to none. They have floated names like Goestenkors (why she'd take that job would be a huge mystery), Nikki Fargas (Caldwell) has also been floated around along with some other mid-major types.

Fargas did nothing good at UCLA - on paper her record was good the 2nd and 3rd seasons (horrible the first season), but she recruited poorly and left the cupboard mostly bare. She's been no great shakes at LSU - but again, did better the first 3 seasons with other coaches' recruits. In the last 4 years she's lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's 3 times and missed them entirely once. From my perspecteve, she'd be the perfect replacement for Holly - a lot more of the same for Tennessee. Frankly i'm not sure why so many of their faithful are enamored with her, except for the fact that she's an attractive black woman.

Maybe Kristy Curry? Lisa Fortier (Gonzaga)? Jenny Baranczyk (Drake)? Karl Smesko (FGCU)? Sue Guevara (Central Michigan)? I'm sure there are others.

Given how well Tenn has recruited the last 3 years, and the fact that Holly has a contract running a few more years, I just don't see the point in the Administration firing her now. Maybe after the season is over if they miss the NCAA's, but I don't see that happening unless they completely implode.

Side note - I am no longer the least bit worried that they would beat an "undermanned" UCONN team next season. They really are a delightful train wreck...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I must say with the question/answers/opinions that @vowelguy and @EricLA have postulated, I have mixed emotions that either Holly will make the NCAA's and not be relieved (Glee) of her duties or if they do implode and she is replaced by Fargas or really, any former Vol player (elation). We call this the win/win fulcrum. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
You all make some good points. Some of the orange folks are delusional as always and think they could land any coach. I can almost guarantee you if she's fired mid season, they will get NO ONE. Not a single coach out there in a quality program should consider jumping ship mid season.

They would likely promote Lockwood as interim head coach and then start their search. The chances of landing anyone like Schaeffer, Graves, Ruek, Walz, Frese, etc etc. are slim to none. They have floated names like Goestenkors (why she'd take that job would be a huge mystery), Nikki Fargas (Caldwell) has also been floated around along with some other mid-major types.

Fargas did nothing good at UCLA - on paper her record was good the 2nd and 3rd seasons (horrible the first season), but she recruited poorly and left the cupboard mostly bare. She's been no great shakes at LSU - but again, did better the first 3 seasons with other coaches' recruits. In the last 4 years she's lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's 3 times and missed them entirely once. From my perspecteve, she'd be the perfect replacement for Holly - a lot more of the same for Tennessee. Frankly i'm not sure why so many of their faithful are enamored with her, except for the fact that she's an attractive black woman.

Maybe Kristy Curry? Lisa Fortier (Gonzaga)? Jenny Baranczyk (Drake)? Karl Smesko (FGCU)? Sue Guevara (Central Michigan)? I'm sure there are others.

Given how well Tenn has recruited the last 3 years, and the fact that Holly has a contract running a few more years, I just don't see the point in the Administration firing her now. Maybe after the season is over if they miss the NCAA's, but I don't see that happening unless they completely implode.

Side note - I am no longer the least bit worried that they would beat an "undermanned" UCONN team next season. They really are a delightful train wreck...

A name that has been mentioned before here in the yard that I think would be a perfect and natural fit. A name that would be unanimously accepted and supported by Volunteer Nation is their own Kara Lawson. The question is would she accept the challenge?

She knows the game, has name recognition in addition to strong program ties, and appears to have a pleasant bedside manner. She could no doubt assemble a staff that could recruit at least as well as Holly does. I think Kara would change the culture and turn the LV fortunes around in no time. They could do worse.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A name that has been mentioned before here in the yard that I think would be a perfect and natural fit, and would be unanimously accepted and supported by Volunteer Nation is their own Kara Lawson.

Does she have any coaching experience? Whalen is undergoing trial by fire at Minnesota. She had no previous coaching experience I believe. Everything looked fine until conference play started, then the wheels fell off the bus. Head coach of a major D1 university is not an entry level position, I don't care how good of a player someone was or how long they've been around the game of basketball. At some point you need to learn how to coach and it takes time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A name that has been mentioned before here in the yard that I think would be a perfect and natural fit. A name that would be unanimously accepted and supported by Volunteer Nation is their own Kara Lawson.

She knows the game, has name recognition in addition to strong program ties, and appears to have a pleasant bedside manner. She could no doubt assemble a staff that could recruit at least as well as Holly does. I think Kara would change the culture and turn the LV fortunes around in no time. They could do worse.
The thing that sucks about that is I like Kara a lot, and should she take the job, I'd have to start rooting for her to fail. Also, As smart as she is with regards to announcing and analyzing, she's never coached before (I don't think she has) and has no recruiting history. I guess it would be similar to Whalen taking over at Minnesota.

But honestly, If I were Kara, I'd not be interested - I bet she gets paid better at ESPN and she gets to do a much wider variety of things (she's also done the color for men's games and maybe even for the pros). Her current gig is much easier than the 24/7 commitment it takes to make a program successful... I'd think it would be a step backwards for her, to be honest.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Right now the Vols are 1-5 in the SEC. Let's assume that they manage to hold serve against Florida, Vanderbilt (x2), and Ole Miss (far from a sure thing, of course, but those teams are worse than any they've lost to so far). Let's also assume that they lose at Mississippi State. Their other 5 games are against LSU, Auburn, @Missouri, @Texas A&M and South Carolina. If they can just win 2 of those games, that will put them at 7-9 in the SEC and 18-10 overall heading into the SEC tournament. And that'll probably be just enough to get them an at-large bid in the 8 to 10 seed range.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does she have any coaching experience? Whalen is undergoing trial by fire at Minnesota. She had no previous coaching experience I believe. Everything looked fine until conference play started, then the wheels fell off the bus. Head coach of a major D1 university is not an entry level position, I don't care how good of a player someone was or how long they've been around the game of basketball. At some point you need to learn how to coach and it takes time.

I like Kara too. I believe she was on staff for one or more of the USA Olympic National Teams, but that’s not the type of coaching experience you’re referring to.

Kara went to work for ESPN as a color analyst before she retired from the WNBA, and continued in that assignment afterwards. Now she also does NBA games. The network producers like her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The thing that sucks about that is I like Kara a lot, and should she take the job, I'd have to start rooting for her to fail. Also, As smart as she is with regards to announcing and analyzing, she's never coached before (I don't think she has) and has no recruiting history. I guess it would be similar to Whalen taking over at Minnesota.

But honestly, If I were Kara, I'd not be interested - I bet she gets paid better at ESPN and she gets to do a much wider variety of things (she's also done the color for men's games and maybe even for the pros). Her current gig is much easier than the 24/7 commitment it takes to make a program successful... I'd think it would be a step backwards for her, to be honest.

You’re probably right. It was just a thought. You never know what she would do if that offer was made. I’m sure she’s happy in her present occupation. She’s already very wealthy and does not need the money.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Kara's broadcasting career is hitting full stride with her current full-time gig with the Wizards. Those "resident" jobs with the big-time pro teams are the sweet nectar in the broadcasting world. Great stability and doesn't require the constant travel. The ESPN work is now her (also sweet) side gig. She'd have to be borderline insane to leap from that into the inherent insecurity and tumult of collegiate coaching. I know she worked recently as coach of a USA 3x3 team, but this is a completely different proposition.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And that'll probably be just enough to get them an at-large bid in the 8 to 10 seed range.

I kind of hate seeing that, talented under-achieving teams that get low seeds that can be potential spoilers.

Reaction Score
A name that has been mentioned before here in the yard that I think would be a perfect and natural fit. A name that would be unanimously accepted and supported by Volunteer Nation is their own Kara Lawson. The question is would she accept the challenge?

She might send a number of the current players packing. Kara is not the type to beat around the bush. She would tell them it's my way or the highway.

Carnac

Reaction Score
She might send a number of the current players packing. Kara is not the type to beat around the bush. She would tell them it's my way or the highway.

That’s part of changing culture in a program, house cleaning.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I kind of hate seeing that, talented under-achieving teams that get low seeds that can be potential spoilers.
It's what happened in 2016, when they entered the tournament 19-13 as a #7 seed and ended up beating #2 Arizona State in Tempe on their way to the Elite 8.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom