LaVols and Holly: Local Dissatisfaction Growing (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

LaVols and Holly: Local Dissatisfaction Growing (merged thread)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Umm, Holly is still the coach...not worried

There is unfortunately some historical precedent. In 2016 they were a 7 seed, went 8-8 in conference 19-13 overall and made it to the Elite 8. Finished the season 22-14.

Reaction Score
It's what happened in 2016, when they entered the tournament 19-13 as a #7 seed and ended up beating #2 Arizona State in Tempe on their way to the Elite 8.
That team had a lot more talent than this one.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That team had a lot more talent than this one.
True. More relatively polished talent anyway, with the trio of DeShields-Nared-Russell.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You all make some good points. Some of the orange folks are delusional as always and think they could land any coach. I can almost guarantee you if she's fired mid season, they will get NO ONE. Not a single coach out there in a quality program should consider jumping ship mid season.

They would likely promote Lockwood as interim head coach and then start their search. The chances of landing anyone like Schaeffer, Graves, Ruek, Walz, Frese, etc etc. are slim to none. They have floated names like Goestenkors (why she'd take that job would be a huge mystery), Nikki Fargas (Caldwell) has also been floated around along with some other mid-major types.

Fargas did nothing good at UCLA - on paper her record was good the 2nd and 3rd seasons (horrible the first season), but she recruited poorly and left the cupboard mostly bare. She's been no great shakes at LSU - but again, did better the first 3 seasons with other coaches' recruits. In the last 4 years she's lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's 3 times and missed them entirely once. From my perspecteve, she'd be the perfect replacement for Holly - a lot more of the same for Tennessee. Frankly i'm not sure why so many of their faithful are enamored with her, except for the fact that she's an attractive black woman.

Maybe Kristy Curry? Lisa Fortier (Gonzaga)? Jenny Baranczyk (Drake)? Karl Smesko (FGCU)? Sue Guevara (Central Michigan)? I'm sure there are others.

Given how well Tenn has recruited the last 3 years, and the fact that Holly has a contract running a few more years, I just don't see the point in the Administration firing her now. Maybe after the season is over if they miss the NCAA's, but I don't see that happening unless they completely implode.

Side note - I am no longer the least bit worried that they would beat an "undermanned" UCONN team next season. They really are a delightful train wreck...

If Holly is canned midseason, an assistant would take over for the remainder of the year. I can't imagine she gets canned mid year though...coaches are usually given the full season and are let go after it's over. If she steps down it wont be until after the season IMO unless there's a players protest or something big going on behind the scenes. Right now it appears to be primarily a disgruntled fan base issue.

I agree Tennessee wouldn't get any of the top coaches listed above, especially if they're not willing to shell out big bucks. Holly is paid as a mid-level SEC coach right now, and they'd need to offer a good chunk more to get a top coach IMO. The only one who I think could maybe consider leaving is Rueck since he could make 2x as much at Tennessee, but it'd be a long shot. Plus I don't see them hiring a man for the position.

Fargas did a better job than you give her credit for at UCLA, but I don't think a lot of fans are all that excited by her based on her results at LSU. I'm definitely not. She'd by the obvious choice if they wanted to keep it in Pat's coaching tree, but I'm hoping they don't go that route.

Goestenkors would be a dream but unfortunately I don't think she has any desire to get back into coaching. Top candidates IMO would be Banghart, Fortier an Baranczyk.

The idea of Lawson or Catchings is a nice one, but neither has coaching experience, so how well they teach/motivate is unknown. Love them both as announcers though.

At the rate Tennessee is going, they're not going to be a tournament team unless the team digs deep and makes a massive turnaround. They're 1-5 in the SEC, and the SEC is the weakest its ever been. Plus they haven't played the 2 best teams yet. If that isn't imploding, I'm not sure what is.

Reaction Score
The thing that sucks about that is I like Kara a lot, and should she take the job, I'd have to start rooting for her to fail. Also, As smart as she is with regards to announcing and analyzing, she's never coached before (I don't think she has) and has no recruiting history. I guess it would be similar to Whalen taking over at Minnesota.

But honestly, If I were Kara, I'd not be interested - I bet she gets paid better at ESPN and she gets to do a much wider variety of things (she's also done the color for men's games and maybe even for the pros). Her current gig is much easier than the 24/7 commitment it takes to make a program successful... I'd think it would be a step backwards for her, to be honest.
I like Kara too, but I rooted against her for 4 years before, and would have no problem doing it again. She's a great TV personality and easy to like, and professionally impartial in her work. But underneath we know what her true colors are. No problem at all....

Reaction Score
In the last 16 days Tennessee have lost to 5 different schools.
In the last 10.5 years UConn have only lost to 5 different schools.

Team (W-L record over that period)

Notre Dame 16-8
Baylor 4-3
Stanford 8-2
Mississippi State 1-1
St John's 7-1
93 other schools 348-0

Overall record 384-15

vs Ranked 124-14
vs Unranked 260-1 (L vs St John's in 2011-12 Recap)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Does she have any coaching experience? Whalen is undergoing trial by fire at Minnesota. She had no previous coaching experience I believe. Everything looked fine until conference play started, then the wheels fell off the bus. Head coach of a major D1 university is not an entry level position, I don't care how good of a player someone was or how long they've been around the game of basketball. At some point you need to learn how to coach and it takes time.
Ditto Cindy Blodgett at Maine

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How tolerant, understanding and enthusiastic will the fan base be if Holly returns next year?
My guess

k5JYU4.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like Kara too, but I rooted against her for 4 years before, and would have no problem doing it again. She's a great TV personality and easy to like, and professionally impartial in her work. But underneath we know what her true colors are. No problem at all....
That god-awful orange?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Holly is canned midseason, an assistant would take over for the remainder of the year. I can't imagine she gets canned mid year though...coaches are usually given the full season and are let go after it's over. If she steps down it wont be until after the season IMO unless there's a players protest or something big going on behind the scenes. Right now it appears to be primarily a disgruntled fan base issue.

I agree Tennessee wouldn't get any of the top coaches listed above, especially if they're not willing to shell out big bucks. Holly is paid as a mid-level SEC coach right now, and they'd need to offer a good chunk more to get a top coach IMO. The only one who I think could maybe consider leaving is Rueck since he could make 2x as much at Tennessee, but it'd be a long shot. Plus I don't see them hiring a man for the position.

Fargas did a better job than you give her credit for at UCLA, but I don't think a lot of fans are all that excited by her based on her results at LSU. I'm definitely not. She'd by the obvious choice if they wanted to keep it in Pat's coaching tree, but I'm hoping they don't go that route.

Goestenkors would be a dream but unfortunately I don't think she has any desire to get back into coaching. Top candidates IMO would be Banghart, Fortier an Baranczyk.

The idea of Lawson or Catchings is a nice one, but neither has coaching experience, so how well they teach/motivate is unknown. Love them both as announcers though.

At the rate Tennessee is going, they're not going to be a tournament team unless the team digs deep and makes a massive turnaround. They're 1-5 in the SEC, and the SEC is the weakest its ever been. Plus they haven't played the 2 best teams yet. If that isn't imploding, I'm not sure what is.
You didn't hear this from me, TN needs to call Melanie Balcomb or Heather Macy to take over the team right now to salvage the remainder of this season and stem the potential tide of transfers and decommitments. Number 1 rule of crisis management is to recognize when you are in a crisis.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In an effort to shore up Tennessee's flagging win-loss record, Alaska has received an emergency invite to join the SEC.
:oops::oops:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You didn't hear this from me, TN needs to call Melanie Balcomb or Heather Macy to take over the team right now to salvage the remainder of this season and stem the potential tide of transfers and decommitments. Number 1 rule of crisis management is to recognize when you are in a crisis.
You used two bad words, per board rules, in your first sentence. However, I agree with you. I'd put a smiley emogi here but I don't know how.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And another:

Disclaimer notice-DefenseBB about to compliment the Irish:
Yes, Notre Dame, UConn are WCBB Royalty created by Legendary Coaches. They will earn top recruits for a few years after these beacons retire.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And another:

Tennessee is unique compared to most other programs because it's a central hub for women's basketball and has such an established base. It has the HOF there, streets and statues named after players, a massive fan base, good funding and consistently gets TV coverage. UT also plays in one of the top basketball conferences and has a very strong history with its Finals Fours and championships. If a new coach can make Tennessee a top 10 program again, attendance will rise back to 10k+. I think the job will be desirable for years to come.

UCONN is the only other program I see as staying a desirable job since there's a ton of history/tradition there, plus a strong fan base that has been coming to games for 25+ years. It is also well known as a basketball school so the administration will likely continue to prioritize it. The biggest question mark is conference quality, as the AAC is pretty awful so that could hurt the program down the line. If Geno's replacement doesn't do a great job and UCONN has a few down years, I'm guessing be harder for the program to rebound compared to Tennessee.

Notre Dame's future will come down to coaching IMO. It is strong in many sports and I think WBB could get lost in the shuffle. The success of ND women's basketball is a more recent phenomenon too (within the last decade). Attendance is good but not great, and I could see numbers slipping if the program were to decline. You look at a program like Duke and I could see a similar future if ND makes a really poor hire.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the last 16 days Tennessee have lost to 5 different schools.
In the last 10.5 years UConn have only lost to 5 different schools.

Team (W-L record over that period)

Notre Dame 16-8
Baylor 4-3
Stanford 8-2
Mississippi State 1-1
St John's 7-1
93 other schools 348-0

Overall record 384-15

vs Ranked 124-14
vs Unranked 260-1 (L vs St John's in 2011-12 Recap)
Last second miracle shots
In an effort to shore up Tennessee's flagging win-loss record, Alaska has received an emergency invite to join the SEC.
Alaska-Anchorage is no pushover. The DII school beat Tulsa in the Great Alaska Shootout this season. A few years ago they upset a “name” Div I school can’t remember who

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom