Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 78 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I'm embarrassed to share this, but, I kinda like some of you.

This morning, I woke up crying.
I have not cried or come close to it, but I am unsettled like everyone else here. I wrote down on a manifest every single game from the Sweet 16 to the title game of 2024 that UConn would defeat (opponent of that game). Yesterday, I felt the need to manifest that Dan Hurley will turn down the Lakers and remain head coach of UConn. Hopefully that appeals to the Basketball Gods and it works ;)

Reaction Score
If he takes NBA job he won't have to deal with every 4/5 star recruit demanding 1 million in NIL and threatening to leave each season.
I can't even imagine the pressure on college coaches having to build rosters like that....makes what he has done even more amazing.
I’m sure dealing with LA media, NBA players and agents, and everything else that comes with being Lakers coach will be so much easier

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Was Billy Donovan’s legacy improved or diminished by going to the NBA?

He had a chance to become a guy with a legacy of Coach K, Calhoun, Knight, etc. Instead he’s a mid NBA coach who blew his shot at being a lock for the Hall of Fame. Hurley should not make that same mistake.
I can’t think of any college coach improving their legacy in the pros outside of Pete Carroll. At least not in my lifetime

Reaction Score
They will be having lunch about now. A few more dog and pony sessions then they head home to think it over

Reaction Score
I was just talking about this with a consultant who was here this week in Essex at our place but lives and works in San Diego. Very different places obviously, and he was very excited to explore this area and liked it a lot. We were talking about places we lived over our years (I'm in my mid 50's he is slightly older) and I have lived in CA and he was asking me which I liked better. I told him (and this is the truth) that I have no preference, that I have found value in everywhere I have ever been. The trick is being comfortable with yourself and knowing yourself. Every place has something that can be celebrated and taken advantage of. Me personally, I am very into experiencing the unique differences of the places I have been and go, and I derive enjoyment out of learning what they are and how I relate to them. Obviously I have found that there are places that "fit" me better than others. But that is a personal thing on who I am more than a judgement on what an inanimate geographical location isn't . Right? And as I change places that "fit" me better change too. Crazy, right? ;)
- "wherever you go there you are" indeed.
I mean, lets be honest - you guys are exceptionally myopic here. Maybe its a joke, maybe its not, but the fact is, there are a lot more places "Nebraska and Mississippi" than there are like LA or NYC. And not everyone that finds the "con" side of the ledger for living in a city longer than the "pro" side have envy or small peter issues.

Reaction Score
Can anyone even name the last 5 Lakers coaches? No one even knows who the hell Darvin Ham is, and nobody will remember him in a year. This isn’t the Phil Jackson Lakers. This is a trash organization living on borrowed time.

Reaction Score
re: living in LA

I moved there from the east coast and I know at least 10 friends who moved there from the east coast. LA is the epitome of great for some, not for everyone. Anyone who tells you "You'll love LA!" or "You'll hate LA!" is a complete liar.

It's easy to get swept up from afar in the notion of sun and palm trees all the time, but that's a very incomplete view of what it's like to live in LA. It's its own world with its own way of life that's fundamentally different from just about every other place in the world. It smells different, the people act different, the way you get around town is different.

Not that it's all necessarily bad, but it's absolutely positively not for everyone. For some, they move there and never leave - it's perfect. For others, like me, they move there and quickly realize how wrong it is and return home.

No one can know what Dan and Andrea would feel specifically about living in LA, but anyone who proclaims to know has no idea what they're talking about.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is my 2 cents, and keep in mind that I am often hilariously wrong.

The last 32 hours from everything Im seeing from press members that are known to be Hurley "outlets" seem to be coyly preparing us for the horror.

I don't like being manipulated or glad-handed.

I'm a big boy (literally and figuratively) I like to take my bad medicine in one disgusting gulp and not string it out.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Again, you would think people ( UConn fans) have the measure of our coach here, that is a positive for him! He can be the guy who succeeded where others couldn’t.

That doesn’t mean he goes, but he LOVES that kind of stuff. His engine runs on “ you can’t”

Winning in the NBA is a big enough challenge. There are 30 teams, all with NBA talent. There aren't high majors and mid majors and low majors. Winning a title is a gigantic accomplishment no matter which team you coach.

I don't think the drama and roster construction in LA are positives. I think the excitement of coaching a premier franchise at the highest level of the sport is what's intriguing to him.

Reaction Score
This is my 2 cents, and keep in mind that I am often hilariously wrong.

The last 32 hours from everything Im seeing from press members that are known to be Hurley "outlets" seem to be coyly preparing us for the horror.

I don't like being manipulated or glad-handed.

I'm a big boy (literally and figuratively) I like to take my bad medicine in one disgusting gulp and not string it out.
so you and your Hurley outlets say he's gone, correct? Ouch, hope you are wrong.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Winning in the NBA is a big enough challenge. There are 30 teams, all with NBA talent. There aren't high majors and mid majors and low majors. Winning a title is a gigantic accomplishment no matter which team you coach.

I don't think the drama and roster construction in LA are positives. I think the excitement of coaching a premier franchise at the highest level of the sport is what's intriguing to him.

For Hurley?

I mean he has baseline standards. He had offers like Rutgers a B1G school which is scant miles from he and his wifes home before he took UConn. They are Jersey people. They passed, but they didn't pass on UConn why do you think that is? Could it be that he wants to identify with the best?

27 of those NBA teams are Rutgers. 3 of them including the Lakers are UConn.

Reaction Score
The time is not 2-weeks after your most reliable player in Hurleys coaching career decides to forgo the NBA to return to play for his coach one last time.
There will never ever be a good time for the 2x national championship coach to leave, but this obsession with Alex as an inflection point baffles me. So if Alex had gone pro (which he would have if it was his best option) then DH leaving now would somehow be fine?
(Answer…no, it would still suck. The AK piece is a red herring)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom