Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 76 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Yeah, but if he leaves now those guys would have 30 days to leave and there are basically no good players left in the portal to backfill with if they do go. Sure people would have been mad if it happened right after the title, but it would have given the school the time to do a proper search and the new coach to retain / build the roster with a loaded transfer portal.
I guess it cuts both ways. A lot of rosters are already set -- I'm sure Liam as a top-10 recruit would still have plenty of options if he decides to change up his team again but fewer than before. Plus he's already at UConn. It's a crappy situation but I don't think it's a given the whole team is just going to transfer out immediately. They'll wait to see who we retain as HC.

Reaction Score
Was Billy Donovan’s legacy improved or diminished by going to the NBA?

He had a chance to become a guy with a legacy of Coach K, Calhoun, Knight, etc. Instead he’s a mid NBA coach who blew his shot at being a lock for the Hall of Fame. Hurley should not make that same mistake.
Donovan is probably in the HOF on the basis of his NBA longevity and his success at Florida beyond merely the two titles (frequent second weekend appearances, two other Final Fours).

If Hurley goes to the NBA and flames out, and then comes back to a so-so college program and can't recapture the magic, his HOF candidacy would be at much more risk than Donovan's.

Reaction Score
Writing a sarcastic response while missing the entire context of the conversation makes you look a little silly!
I didn't miss anything, there was a 0% chance of Dan Hurley leaving in April so calling it the best time for him to have left is objectively dumb

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This thread has now switched to rationalizing why he is coming back. No issue with the comments, I think there could be thousands of scenarios that could apply. But it is interesting the longer as a group we have mulled this over more and more Yarders are sounding like they think he is coming back.

Until we know for sure that makes this thread less depressing than it was yesterday.

I honestly mean it when I say I love this place. To know there are so many people that truly have this team on the same emotional attachment as Indo, it makes me feel normal.

I mean there are other things it makes me feel as it can be treacherous should you misspell a name or not research a number before putting it into a thread….and trying to participate in the wrong threads. But yesterday bjc42 was present and positive.

Today’s posters would have answered a few of his questions.

Reaction Score
I didn't miss anything, there was a 0% chance of Dan Hurley leaving in April so calling it the best time for him to have left is objectively dumb
OP was saying there’s no good time to leave. It wasn’t even specific to the lakers job. All the replies are telling him April is the best time to turn over a college program

You saw 1 reply and thought you had the whole conversation

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Has Kimani settled into the "Consigliere" role? Could he be 2 to Lukes 1??
Mmm, i'm not sure about that given that Kimani is associate head coach.

Reaction Score
OP was saying there’s no good time to leave. It wasn’t even specific to the lakers job. All the replies are telling him April is the best time to turn over a college program

You saw 1 reply and thought you had the whole conversation
And then bendm replied and said then he should have accepted the job on May 4, so I didn't misunderstand anything. Now he deleted that post because it obviously made him look dumb

Reaction Score
I guess it cuts both ways. A lot of rosters are already set -- I'm sure Liam as a top-10 recruit would still have plenty of options if he decides to change up his team again but fewer than before. Plus he's already at UConn. It's a crappy situation but I don't think it's a given the whole team is just going to transfer out immediately. They'll wait to see who we retain as HC.
Every single starter on our roster would be heavily courted. This is the best roster in the country. Hell, with NIL now coaches with a full roster could just make them walk-ons.

Reaction Score
If Lebron is on the roster you're in win now mode with a roster that can't win now. The roster is garbage. They don't even have a first round pick in 2025 when they seemingly might be in the lottery and in contention for Flagg. Lakers don't even own their 2027 first (goes to Utah if it falls outside the top 4).

Edit: So Dan inherits the #17 pick in a weak draft with both his studs already off the board, no pick in 2025 when the draft is flooded with talent (Flagg, Ace, VJ, Harper, Tre Johnson, etc). He gets his in 2026 if he still has a job and won't get a pick in 2027. Sounds like a real great situation.
How it their roster garbage? You act like they won 8 games.

And again - they can clear a ton of cap space after next year. So next season they run it back with a team that won 47 games in the West last year - I am assuming you think Coach Hurley can coach? Maybe better than Darvin Hamm?

Following year they clear enough room to sign a max player and another sizable contract. And again, LA is a destination for free agents.

I know people don’t want him to leave and I actually think he is going to stay - but to say the Lakers are a disaster situation is simply not true.

Reaction Score
Donovan is probably in the HOF on the basis of his NBA longevity and his success at Florida beyond merely the two titles (frequent second weekend appearances, two other Final Fours).

If Hurley goes to the NBA and flames out, and then comes back to a so-so college program and can't recapture the magic, his HOF candidacy would be at much more risk than Donovan's.
NBA longevity doesn’t mean anything when you are a career .550% win guy with zero playoff success outside of his first year in OKC. That is not even close to helping his HOF case. He blew it by chasing the NBA dream, and maybe he’s happy with his choice, but his legacy is not the same, at all.

Reaction Score
it's been reported the lakers knew ham was being fired after the season and it's been reported hurley was one of their top targets all along. if that's to be believed i would be surprised if lakers didnt reach out until may and certainly not until june. i'm worried hurley expressed a renewed interest when his new contract didnt arrive as expected. i'm spinning out what can i say.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Done deal
I actually had a drink with JR in a hotel in Milburn NJ when I was there for a deposition. He was a pretty decent guy. We both had a high end Burbon, I knew he liked golf and I was spending the week after the deposition golfing at few of the law firms private country clubs.

I am not a bad golfer and know the game so it kept his attention. We talked about the claw grip that Mickelson had started using. I told him it was helping me with putts inside 15 ft because it was keeping my hands connected. Must have hit a chord because that was what we talked about until he left.

Reaction Score
x.com

Obviously we can't compete with the Lakers offering him $15m, but it's pretty disappointing that UConn can't even make him the highest paid coach in the sport and get to $10m. "Top 3 highest paid" is simply not good enough and shows we aren't doing everything possible to make him stay.
We just aren’t big enough financially. Period. We are a tiny state with no football. That’s the end of it.

Reaction Score
it's been reported the lakers knew ham was being fired after the season and it's been reported hurley was one of their top targets all along. if that's to be believed i would be surprised if lakers didnt reach out until may and certainly not until june. i'm worried hurley expressed a renewed interest when his new contract didnt arrive as expected. i'm spinning out what can i say.
Which is understandable, I just think you panic far too early and often. He might leave, I'm resigned to the fact he probably will, but there's a just as plausible explanation that he reached out with renewed interest in the Lakers job to push that new contract with UConn over the finish line

Reaction Score
i'm worried hurley expressed a renewed interest when his new contract didnt arrive as expected.
It seems much more (or, at worst, equally) likely that Hurley has been working with Benedict for months, there were hurdles outside either of their control, and Hurley is using this as leverage to help both himself and Benedict get there with the powers that be.

Reaction Score
How it their roster garbage? You act like they won 8 games.

And again - they can clear a ton of cap space after next year. So next season they run it back with a team that won 47 games in the West last year - I am assuming you think Coach Hurley can coach? Maybe better than Darvin Hamm?

Following year they clear enough room to sign a max player and another sizable contract. And again, LA is a destination for free agents.

I know people don’t want him to leave and I actually think he is going to stay - but to say the Lakers are a disaster situation is simply not true.

There are new penalties for going over the salary cap, stricter aprons and the Lakers will owe all of it to

Lebron
AD
Deangelo Russell
Rui
Reaves
Gabe Vincent
Vanderbilt
Jalen Hood
Christian Wood
Jaxson Hayes

($178,000,000 ^^^)

Salary cap in 2024-25 is $141,000,000 with the luxury tax threshold $172,000,000.

They need to shed salaries, not add new ones.

Reaction Score
what have Lebron and AD accomplished together?

A championshup
A IST championship
2 WCF appearances.

No other team in the NBA has had more success than the Lakers this decade. The Nuggets, Warriors and Bucks are all sitting on one championship this decade.
And yet they’ve gone through 8 coaches since Jackson.

Something for Hurley to keep in mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom